Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50361 - 26 Apr 07 18:09 Does anyone know this story? Who knows more?
kareltjuhh belanda Offline
Member+

Loc: belanda
I was reading this story from Peter Loud on the internet and I found it very well written and interesting actually. Disturbing, but also emotional and taken from life.

here is the link: http://users.powernet.co.uk/mkmarina/indonesia/jalan_jaksa.html

Did this story really happen and does the writer still come to jaksa? and furthermore, Does anyone has more novels like this on life in jaksa , or jakarta in general? Im always interested to read short stories like this, especially when they are so well written!

p.s. I did already read bule gila..

#50367 - 26 Apr 07 21:22 Re: Does anyone know this story? Who knows more? [Re: kareltjuhh belanda]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Karel, you are living in a strange world that revolves around Jaksa as you see it.

Get a life, stop harping on about Jaksa, go see the rest of the country and then post your comments.

Bule Gila, get a second life, its an amalagm of all the idiots that frequented Bugils, entertaining reading but not life as we know it.

#50369 - 26 Apr 07 22:16 Re: Does anyone know this story? Who knows more? [Re: Dilli]
kareltjuhh belanda Offline
Member+

Loc: belanda
I already visited other parts of the country, but this forum is about jakarta mostly as i was informed.

#50372 - 27 Apr 07 06:35 Re: Does anyone know this story? Who knows more? [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Dilli
Get a life, stop harping on about Jaksa, go see the rest of the country and then post your comments.

life outside jaksa?! stop being stupid, dilli. if you keep saying that, people will start thinking that it's true.

#50373 - 27 Apr 07 06:44 Re: Does anyone know this story? Who knows more? [Re: kareltjuhh belanda]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
actually, i've seen this story in a slightly different form elsewhere at some time. could be true; could be made up; who knows.

but then, for some, reality becomes blurred in jaksa. there are, in fact, a number of wormhole portals in this area, meaning frequent visits from illegal aliens. jaksa represents an unrealised alternate reality only accessable to those with the Knowledge.

#52525 - 28 May 07 18:21 Re: Does anyone know this story? Who knows more? [Re: kareltjuhh belanda]
Pete Loud Offline

Loc: UK
Hi,
I am surprised that you have to wonder if this really happened. I'm sure you'll agree that my details of Jalan Jaksa suggest that I know the place. Check www.peteloud.co.uk/indonesia/ and I think you might accept that I've seen much more of Indonesia than 99.9% of Indonesians :-) Sudah 'dari Sabang sampai Merauke'.

I haven't visited Indonesia since about 2001. When the tourist visa dropped from 60 to 30 days it became a big expensive hassle to go up the Singapore to get a new visa. If it becomes a 120 day visa, as I have read it might, I shall return again for several months each year. I'd like to take the definitive set of photographs 'dari sabang sampai Merauke'.

Cheers,

Pete Loud

#52551 - 28 May 07 21:01 Re: Does anyone know this story? Who knows more? [Re: Pete Loud]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Good for you, visit now and check what it's like today..definately not the same place, he he he

#52557 - 28 May 07 21:19 Re: Does anyone know this story? Who knows more? [Re: Pete Loud]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Hey, Pete Loud! Welcome to JakChat, that's a great site with fantastic maps and really nice pics. I've hit it dozens of times on google searches for this and that. Couple of quick updates/changes that just jumped out at me, if I may suggest...

-- Ujung Pandang is now officially, and unofficially, Makassar. There is still Ujung Pandang Fort, but the city and the surrounding district are called Makassar.

-- Lake Poso with one 'S'

--Gamelan with an 'e' in the middle

--Halmahera is now part of North Maluku province, alternatively you could just call that section The Moluccas, but then again Indonesian nationalist might not like it, but they rarely read much.

--Cenderawasih with an 'n'

#52558 - 28 May 07 21:24 Re: Does anyone know this story? Who knows more? [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
It is a good map. However, there seem to be only certain squares that I can zoom in on. Lampung province for example can't be accessed.

Anyway, I quite liked your story about Jaksa.

#52565 - 28 May 07 22:46 Re: Does anyone know this story? Who knows more? [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
I do have to point out that your map showing my house in East Java is in breach of Copyright too , for every twenty quid you get , you owe me a tenner .

Read your story with interest , particularly the bit where you say you are already inured to drunks and loons - nothing much has changed .

#52572 - 29 May 07 00:28 Re: Does anyone know this story? Who knows more? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
I'm not sure I liked what Claude got up to .

As for British Gas - either find yourself a spare meter , or put yours on the hoover for a few hours , never fails .

Moderator:  NetCop