Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50252 - 25 Apr 07 20:14 THE DUAL MEET is ON!
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
THE USC - UCLA

DUAL MEET

There is a lot of excitement, tension and spirit for this annual TRACK MEET which starts on FRIDAY 27 April in Los Angeles Click here for complete Schedule, perhaps more than we've seen in many, many years. There are a number of reasons for that. Chief among them is that the Trojans feel like they're the underdog -- despite being ranked much higher in both the men's and women's national polls -- and would love to knock off the favored Bruins. In terms of depth, UCLA has the numbers, due to the scholarship limits and public-private schooling costs, and thus have more bodies to score well in nearly every event of a DUAL MEET. The backdrop to this is the fact that UCLA has really dominated the sporting rivalry in the 2006-07 school year. UCLA men have swept Football, Basketball and Baseball, the first time either school has done since the 1940-41 school year. ADDITIONALLY, Lexus annually presents The Gauntlet Trophy to the school that wins the most head-to-head competitions in a variety of sports and the Bruins have now clinched that with an unassailable 35+ point lead. ALSO... UCLA's football team played an inspired game in December to knock USC out of a sure berth to the NCAA title game and break a 7-year win streak by the Trojans...

Suffice it to say that USC wants this dual meet on their home track BAAAAAAAAD.

There are some spirited, robust debates and some decent doping going on at these forums and blogs:
UCLA's Bruin Report Online (BRO) - Other Sports
USC Track and Field, click on the "message board" link
Track Shark's College Forum -- UCLA-USC thread
Track and field news Current Events forum-- UCLA-USC thread

---------------------------------------------
AND HERE's another DOPER, which includes the Women as well, from a BRO poster with the handle David80

David80 says: Here is my dope sheet for the UCLA-USC track meet.
If you find that I have included anyone who is not going to compete in that event, please let me know. Also, if I have left out someone who is an obvious scorer.

This dope sheet was compiled by looking at the season best of each athlete.

MEN:

Event 1st 2nd 3rd UCLA Pts. USC Pts.

100 Holland (USC) Rashad (USC) Alugbue/Palmer (USC) 0 9
200 Larry (USC) Holland (USC) Rashad (USC) 0 9
400 Larry (USC) Anderson (USC) Cunningham (USC) 0 9
800 Solomon (USC) Sekretarski (USC) Asafo-Agyei (USC) 0 9
1500 Sekretarski (USC) Patterson (UCLA) Haddan/Ramos/Barnes (UCLA) 4 5
3000 Ramos (UCLA) Barnes (UCLA) Shackleton (UCLA) 9 0
110 HurdlesCraddock (UCLA) Kelley (USC) Taylor (USC) 5 4
400 Hurdles B. Johnson (UCLA) Kelley (USC) Klech (UCLA) 6 3
3000 Steeple Hagenbuch (UCLA) Sullivan (UCLA) Anzures (UCLA) 9 0
4 x 100 Relay USC UCLA 0 5
4 x 400 Relay USC UCLA 0 5
High Jump Klech (UCLA) Lim (USC) Reuter (UCLA) 6 3
Pole Vault Landers (UCLA) Estrada (USC) Bencomo/Murphy (UCLA) 6 3
Long Jump Tuosto (UCLA) M. Johnson (UCLA) Easterling/Pearlstone (UCLA) 9 0
Triple Jump M. Johnson (UCLA) Breaux (USC) Wright (USC) 5 4
Shot Put Bryant (USC) Caulfield (UCLA) Denbo (USC) 3 6
Discus Garza (UCLA) Savage (UCLA) Caulfiedl/Rider (UCLA) 9 0
Javelin Burbach (UCLA) Parton (USC) Midles (USC) 5 4
Hammer Midles (USC) Bryant (USC) Kocsor (UCLA) 1 8

USC-86 UCLA-77

WOMEN:

Event 1st 2nd 3rd UCLA Pts. USC Pts.

100 Rodriguez (USC) Onyepunuka (USC) Olear (USC) 0 9
200 Rodriguez (USC) Onyepunuka (USC)O lear (USC) 0 9
400 Leach (UCLA) Hassan (USC) Wisdon/Lacy/Monthe (UCLA) 6 3
800 Bohannon (UCLA) Caldwell (UCLA) Hall/Bournes/Jirges (UCLA) 9 0
1500 Caldwell (UCLA) Bohannon (UCLA) Milokumova (USC) 8 1
3000 Rethmeier (UCLA) Roeder (UCLA) Milokumova (USC) 8 1
100 Hurdles Davis (USC) Stewart (USC) Clarke (USC) 0 9
400 Hurdles Leach (UCLA) Stewart (USC) Davis/Clarke (USC) 5 4
3000 Steeple Viehweg (UCLA) Timinsky (UCLA) Kovtun/Berglas/Jensen (USC) 8 1
4 x 100 Relay USC UCLA 0 5
4 x 400 Relay USC UCLA 0 5
High Jump Watkins (UCLA) Creary (UCLA) Anene (USC) 8 1
Pole Vault Nguyen (UCLA) Kantola (UCLA) Jamerson (UCLA) 9 0
Long Jump Watkins (UCLA) Williams (UCLA) Sanford/Woods (USC) 8 1
Triple Jump Williams (UCLA) Creary (UCLA) Sanford (USC) 8 1
Shot Put Warren (UCLA) Hanley (UCLA) Oman (USC) 8 1
Discus Warren (UCLA) Kirsti (UCLA) Ross/Hanley (UCLA) 9 0
Javelin McBride (USC) Ross (UCLA) Ingram (UCLA) 4 5
Hammer Orban (USC) Rozenfeld (USC) Williasm (USC) 0 9

UCLA-98 USC-65
------------------------------------------------------------------
Also on the BRO site, WestwoodKnight says:
Brandon Johnson opens up at 400 hurdles Post Rating

I was very happy to see Brandon Johnson open up in the 400 meter hurdles at San Diego (April 21) on Saturday. I feel much better about the dual meet with USC next week. Without Johnson running the 400 hurdles this meet is way too close. I think we have some cushion now. The Bruin depth in the field events and distance events should provide us with a 7 to 9 point win. The high jump and triple jump shuld be very interesting to watch. But the featured events in my opinion are the 110 hurdles and the 1500 meters. USC and UCLA both have two quality hurdlers who can win this event. Craddock is the most talented hurdler in the field but he has been banged up recently. I talked to the UCLA coaches and they assure me that Craddock will be 100% for USC dual next week. The 1500 meters should be awesome also. Austin Ramos, Laef Barnes, and Patterson will team up against the Polish runner from USC who ran 4:01 at Mt. Sac last week. That 4:01 was in the Invitational race, with a rabbit, and with fast fractions. Ramos and Barnes are capable of running that fast under those conditions also. I see the Bruins going first and third in that event.
I also think the pole vault could be an exciting event. The trojans have a guy who just cleared 17 feet for the first time. But the Bruins have proven talent and should go 1st and 2nd against them. The Shot Put will be exciting for second place. Unless Noah Bryant fouls, he should win the meet. BUT, I know Caulfield is capable of 63 feet at this meet. And USC has Denbo who threw 62-0 at San Diego. I hope we can get some guys to go over to USC (to watch the meet at Loker Stadium). I know people don't like traveling there, but we need the support.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

#50255 - 25 Apr 07 20:37 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
This is some kind of sporting event is it?

#50256 - 25 Apr 07 20:42 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

My TAKE on the DOPER David80's predictions, at least on the Men's side, look like this:

My take on the men's side was a bit different. If UCLA's coaches are thinking anything like me (and I have no reason to suspect they would in a million years), but just speculating, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to run Brandon Johnson in the open 400 and let him sit out the relays as they are a wash anyway. Let the 'B' Team go in the 4x400 and 4x100, I say.

**Brandon in the open 400 could very well give the Bruins 3 more points (+3 UCLA, -3 USC).

**Has Asafo-Agyei been running the 800 this year?? If he's not perfectly fit, I see a Bruin or two going sub 1:50 and snatching a point there
(+1 UCLA, -1 USC).

**In the Javelin, Shortenhaus -- who made his season debut at UCSD in the PV, so could be healthy enough for the Javelin -- should at least pull out 3 points for an 8-1 win for UCLA
(+3 UCLA, -3 USC).

**In the Hammer, Bryant may have a better SB, but Boldi has the better PB AND.. Boldi beat Bryant head-to-head in the same conditions just 5 days ago at the UCSD meet.
(+2 UCLA, -2 USC)

If we take those adjustments the score flops the other way:
UCLA -- 86
USC --- 77

Obviously, there will be upsets, huge performances and a handful of surprises, the question is which way will they go??
Should be GREAT!

#50260 - 25 Apr 07 20:51 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Roy's hair

Yes, but unfortunately it's also about an education for the likes of you. It's crazy you know. I remember as a kid following every step that Coe and Ovett and Cram made. Awe-struck by the pale-faced Alan Wells in the sprints, Colin Jackson in the hurdles AND the great Johnny Edwards in the Triple Jump....

What the heck has happened to British Athletics?? Now there are just a bunch of under-achieving, whinging, Primadonnas, (read: Mark Lewis-Francis et al) who are never even close to the medal podium. Furthermore, UKA has completely undermined the young prodigies, especially middle-distance gals like Steph Twell and Emily Pidgeon, by FORCING them ALL to sign a ridiculous red-tape contract, basically condemning them to indentured servitude for life.

It's really sad. The UK's rich, storied Athletics tradition has now lost 2 full generations (of Athletes and supporters from the general public like you) due to foolishness and bureaucratic meddling.

#50261 - 25 Apr 07 20:55 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I thought is was about money and the lack of funding ... although that may be changing as we have an olympics coming up which is always good for a little extra cash

#50264 - 25 Apr 07 21:11 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Well, you're partly right Chew. Money is an issue, but because the big stars can now make so much of it, UKA wants them to sign it all over to them FOR LIFE when the teen stars are like 16. They basically take every kid who shows promise and gives them a small living allowance, BUT the kids must GIVE their winnings and appearance fees $$$$ to UKA for the rest of their life....

IF they refuse to sign on, like Emily Pidgeon did, UKA just simply disowns them. This cute, tough 17-year-old gal wasn't allowed to train with the UK national junior team, nor participate in Beijing last summer at the World Junior Championships -- AND she was the friggin' gold medal favorite in the 5,000 meters!

Find UKA's website and have look at that FASCIST contract these kids are made to sign! Shocking.

As far as the OLYMPICS go, you are right that it could give a boost. The Athletics World and the IAAF were deathly afraid of losing another generation of UK Athletes and Fans, so that is one of the Big reasons the IAAF lobbied hard for LONDON. It IS what won them the Olympics, fear by the Track World of completely losing the once-great UK. They feared the Domino Theory, if the UK can go, then so can the other big guns....

#50265 - 25 Apr 07 21:33 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Here's another Blog with some interesting Doping -- basically the MEN's side is too close to call as per usual...
http://www.thesportsexaminer.com/webapp/content/view/396/32/
Scroll to the bottom.

#50297 - 26 Apr 07 10:30 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

These things are serious business, AND IF you're A USC Condom beware:

------------------------------------------------

USC Fan Loses Eye After Pro-UCLA Group Attack
Daniel Crowson Says UCLA Fans Beat Him, Attacked Him With Bottle

(CBS) LOS ANGELES A 32-year-old USC fan Tuesday recounted his beating at the hands of Bruins fans amid tailgate parties outside the Rose Bowl before UCLA upset the Trojans, 13-9.

Daniel Crowson, whose face was scraped and bruised, told reporters he lost an eye when he and a friend were set upon by as many as 10 UCLA fans.

Crowson said he was taking punches from as many as 10 attackers, then "out of nowhere, I just remember seeing a flash of a bottle come across my face."

A cut to an eyeball took more than five hours to repair in surgery.

His wife also recounted seeing her husband's injuries. "I see my husband come around the front of the car, covered in blood and just adrenaline-pumped, and screaming and saying, 'They hit me with a bottle, they hit me with a bottle,'" she said. "The glass that hit his eye went through every layer of eye, severing it all, all the way to the jelly."

#50300 - 26 Apr 07 10:48 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Lovely story

#50303 - 26 Apr 07 11:07 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

"... all the way to the jelly." Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

#50305 - 26 Apr 07 11:14 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo

Yes, but unfortunately it's also about an education for the likes of you. It's crazy you know. I remember as a kid following every step that Coe and Ovett and Cram made. Awe-struck by the pale-faced Alan Wells in the sprints, Colin Jackson in the hurdles AND the great Johnny Edwards in the Triple Jump....

What the heck has happened to British Athletics?? Now there are just a bunch of under-achieving, whinging, Primadonnas, (read: Mark Lewis-Francis et al) who are never even close to the medal podium. Furthermore, UKA has completely undermined the young prodigies, especially middle-distance gals like Steph Twell and Emily Pidgeon, by FORCING them ALL to sign a ridiculous red-tape contract, basically condemning them to indentured servitude for life.

It's really sad. The UK's rich, storied Athletics tradition has now lost 2 full generations (of Athletes and supporters from the general public like you) due to foolishness and bureaucratic meddling.

Yeah I remember the glory days. My Dad wasn't into footie but loved athletics and used to take me to Crystal Palace to International meets . I saw all the greats and Britain were actually world beaters compared to all the other sports that we're crap at. Whatever happened to the AAA.? All doped up I guess (re: Dwaine Chambers)

#50307 - 26 Apr 07 11:21 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: Roy's Hair]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I guess a lot has to do with the profile of football in the UK. I know its always been our national game but the work that has been done on branding and getting more people in to football is amazing. When kids look at people earning $250,000 a week and being treated like rock stars is it any wonder they are more interested in kicking a ball than dressing up in tights and running around a track

#50314 - 26 Apr 07 11:29 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Yeah! And athletes like Coe and Ovette actually had a few brain cells between them. It's not trendy to have brain cells if you're a member of the UK's current Cro-Magnon youth underclass. Can you imagine Rooney as govt. minister like Coe was??

#50315 - 26 Apr 07 11:32 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Yeah! And athletes like Coe and Ovette actually had a few brain cells between them. It's not trendy to have brain cells if you're a member of the UK's current Cro-Magnon youth underclass. Can you imagine Rooney as govt. minister like Coe was??

#50316 - 26 Apr 07 11:32 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
And on that subject..........

I'm feeling all angry about these modern day footballers, I know why, they have gone all soft - It's because of poncy names.

That's what it is.

Remember in the old days, when footy players kicked a fucking ball made out of ten pound of clay stitched inside a steel-reinforced leather shell with laces made out of piano wire ?

Well, in them days players could only survive the rigours of the game because they were called things like Jimmie, Colin, Dougie, Billy, Eddie, Bobby, Jock and Tommy, Fucking tough names for tough men, they were. And what do we have now ?

Jason, Wayne, Dean, Ryan,Jamie, Robbie. Fucking tarts' names, they are,Great big fucking transvestites...

No wonder the ball's like a fucking balloon and shin pads is like slices of bread. In the old days you never saw a John Greig or a Billy Bremmner with a poofy little Sondico piece of paper down his little thin socks. Fucking shinpads in them days was made out of Broons books, and socks were like sack-cloth.

Same with the jerseys fucking shirts with holes in now so they can breathe. Yes, so that little Jody's hairless chest can breathe and he doesn't get a chill- fucking nancy boys the lot of them........Jimmie Johnstone used to dribble round Europe's finest wearing a fucking tent and shorts cobbled together from the jacket of his dads de-mob suit.

Aye, he fucking did. No wonder players fall over all the time whenever an opponent comes anywhere near them. And they never used to show their arses at one another either. Can you imagine what might have happened if Tommy Gemmill had flashed his ring at Colin Stein during a Rangers – Celtic ? He'd have got one of them size-10 hobnail fuckers up his bastard arsehole.

Fucking therapy for stress my arse! Stan Collymore slaps his missus about and he takes three seasons off with stress counselling. What the fuck is that all about ?

In the old days it was expected for footballers to belt the old sow about a bit, specially after a bad defeat. And the women used to expect it, and so they should have. They was lucky to be married to footballers. Ha !

Trevor Morley got a kitchen knife in his back off his wife and was out of action for three month. Soft twat. Archie McShitt of Atletico Shettleston got run over with horse and cart one Friday night and he still turned out against Real Portobello the following day. And he scored two goals.

That's cos his name wasn't "Trevor". Good old Archie. Broke his hip,both his legs, murdered his wife and buried her under the patio and still made the Scottish team for the Home Internationals. Did he have any "stress counselling"? Did he BOLLOCKS !

And drugs ? There was none of that in the old days. Oh, no. In them days it was a quick shot of morphine before kick-off and you was lucky if you got that. By half-time it had all but wore off so they pumped you full of laudanum. None of this cocaine sniffing and shooting up class A narcotics.

I know. Me dad told me.

Goal celebrations ? Don't talk to me about goal celebrations.
Crawling on the floor and thrusting their hips at the crowd. Huh! I'd like to have seen Bobby Murdoch do that after a run down the left flank and crossing for Andy Penman to fire home a winner.

Handshakes ... and that was all you got. That and a wank in the showers afterwards. But it was a proper wank......all man stuff. None of these wanks between blokes that you get nowadays with players like Greame Le Saux and Stephen Gerrard.

Allegedly.

In them days, there was fuck all wrong with it cos it didn't mean nout. They used to say there was a "gay atmosphere" in the dressing room after the match. But it didn't mean fuck all manky. Just a bit of harmless spanking the plank among healthy young sportsmen.

Aye. I know. Me dad told me.

Sixty grand a fucking week! Ha! I wouldn't pay 'em tuppence. Two bob Jock Stein used to get ... a month! And Kenny Dalgleish still worked as a plumber four days a week when he was playing for Scotland. It's true, you know. Fucking is. Players had to work them days just to make up their money. Not like today.

Alex Ferguson had to clean the sewers and doubled up as Ibrox’s Shithouse cleaner. He had to go off during one game because some cunt had built a log cabin and blocked the U-bend. And that Sandy Jardine was a male model ... though he never liked to talk about it.

So I say we start calling kids real names again. If you're having a kid, don't even consider girly names and shite names like what people call their kids these days. Otherwise what are we gonnie get in twenty years' time?.

Just look at the England team full of players called Ashley, Micah, Aaron, Jermain, Rio, Wayne and worse, fucking Ledley. Screw that! Call your kids Jimmie, Jock, Billy, Alex, Craig and Kenny.

And let's get the wankers out of the game once and for all.

Edited by Dilli (26 Apr 07 11:34)
Edit Reason: Added - Ledley, forgot about that twat!

#50317 - 26 Apr 07 11:37 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

..and Alan Ball. Didn't he have a high squeaky voice? Or was that someone else?

#50319 - 26 Apr 07 11:42 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Yup, he was indeed a squeaky. I think his sister work's in the Blok...

#50321 - 26 Apr 07 11:51 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here

Not forgetting Roger Bannister (is that how you spell it ?)

Lets face it , if Shrek wasn't able to kick a bag of wind about would collen take a second look at the bag of shit ? and as for thinking ? come off it RH , he can't use what he doesn't have .

#50324 - 26 Apr 07 11:55 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I can still remember the press conference at Everton when he went professional ...... the boy had only just mastered grunting

#50346 - 26 Apr 07 13:15 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: chewwyUK
I can still remember the press conference at Everton when he went professional ...... the boy had only just mastered grunting

Ode to rooney!

Collen had a little pig
She could not stop it gruntin'
She took it to the garden shed
And kicked it's f*cking c*nt in!

Edited by Dilli (26 Apr 07 13:16)
Edit Reason: Removed Expletives because its Ricci's area

#50355 - 26 Apr 07 15:38 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Fellas, at least learn how to spell your former heroes' names. It's OVETT, and actually he was a bit of a dolt and Coe always let people know that.

A funny aside: Sebastian Coe's former England teammate, 2-time Olympic gold medalist Decathlete and former world record holder Daley Thompson, once said, "Seb Coe is a Yorkshireman. So he's a complete bastard and will do well in politics."

#50356 - 26 Apr 07 15:44 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Capt. no self-respecting, heterosexual male could ever forget Bannister, but that was in the '50s when the UK was still strong and reproducing generation after generation of world-beaters. I was referring to the LAST great generation of stars -- which for some reason did not inspire/reproduce the next generation, or two.

#50424 - 28 Apr 07 09:42 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

FRIDAY NIGHT UPDATE*** FRIDAY UPDATE **** FRIDAY NIGHT UPDATE

On Friday April 27, USC's Adam Midles won the hammer and Boldi Kocsor placed 2nd, as expected, BUT the BRUINS' Andrew Ninow tossed a big PR (207') to steal a point. Current score going into Saturday's action = USC -5, and UCLA 4. Midles went over 226' and Boldi hit an SB of 217' (10th best in the NCAA so far).

So, as a result, UCLA "gains" 1 point and USC "loses" one against the predicted form chart.

#50432 - 28 Apr 07 12:47 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Capt. no self-respecting, heterosexual male could ever forget Bannister, but that was in the '50s when the UK was still strong and reproducing generation after generation of world-beaters. I was referring to the LAST great generation of stars -- which for some reason did not inspire/reproduce the next generation, or two.

When the UK was strong ? It still IS strong you cheeky fakhir , and now that we have imported the best of the best from Africa ,India , Poland and Romania (actually , they came of their own volition) , and as soon as we have got them out of the trees and trained , you just watch us in world class running about and jumping competitions .

#50433 - 28 Apr 07 12:50 Re: THE DUAL MEET is ON! [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Fellas, at least learn how to spell your former heroes' names. It's OVETT, and actually he was a bit of a dolt and Coe always let people know that.

A funny aside: Sebastian Coe's former England teammate, 2-time Olympic gold medalist Decathlete and former world record holder Daley Thompson, once said, "Seb Coe is a Yorkshireman. So he's a complete bastard and will do well in politics."

Why ? when your former president can't spell "potato" , and your current president can't remember his own name .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop