Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49985 - 22 Apr 07 07:50 ANT/Megawati drives out reporters from PDI-P conference room
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Megawati drives out reporters from PDI-P conference room

Denpasar (ANTARA) News - Former President Megawati Soekarnoputri, chairperson of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), drove electronic and print media reporters out of room of Bali`s Sanur Mercuri Hotel where the opening ceremony of a party regional working meeting was being held on Saturday.

"Since this event is closed to print and electronic media, I want all reporters here out of this room," Megawati said after welcoming around 500 participants of the meeting.

Megawati gave the order after the chairman of the PDI-P`s Balichapeter, Anak Agung Oka Ratmadi, delivered his welcoming address. During Ratmadi`s speech , reporters were free to do their job in the room.

But the reporters were herded out the room after Megawati, who during her three-year tenure as pressident was closed to reporters, told them to get out.

Dozens of newsmen who had not expected to be treated like that by the PDI-P leader finally left the room in a sullen mood.

"I don`t understand why Megawati`s behavior is still like that. PDI-P is said to be an open political party but now I really think it is not," one of the expelled reporters said.

Eventually, the media representatives had to wait patiently in the hotel`s lobby while Megawati was delivering her opening address.

The PDI-P regional working meeting to discuss among other things preparations for Bali`s gubernatorial election was also attended by the party`s secretary general, Pramono Anung.(*)

#50010 - 22 Apr 07 17:08 Re: ANT/Megawati drives out reporters from PDI-P conference room [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
She just doesn't get it does she?

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop