Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49812 - 19 Apr 07 16:25 KITAS
willyankie Offline

Loc: Sumatra

I just arrived on a KITAS visa as about to start a job, but i don't want to stay with this job anymore and want to leave Indonesia to work in Thailand next week.
I have to report to imigrasi within one week of entry, the thing i want to ask is, when does the tax payment have to made and can i now leave the country before that is due ?

Thanks

#49813 - 19 Apr 07 16:34 Re: KITAS [Re: willyankie]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
by "tax" you probably mean the DPKK, or foreign workers levy. This is usually made after the KITAS has been issued. You could, if you want, leave the country immediately if you are still within the 7 days period of your entry visa.

#49814 - 19 Apr 07 16:59 Re: KITAS [Re: KuKuKaChu]
willyankie Offline

Thanks K ,

Do i still need to get a departure permit to be able to leave or can just go?

#49821 - 19 Apr 07 18:50 Re: KITAS [Re: willyankie]
Pooh Bah

you *should* be able to just go.

#49823 - 19 Apr 07 19:12 Re: KITAS [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
And he *should* not get a sore bottom and be fleeced at the airport , still it will give him good practice for Thailand .

#49826 - 19 Apr 07 20:37 Re: KITAS [Re: willyankie]
andrea Offline

Loc: jakarta utara
check www.expat.org.id. It is a very informative site for expatriates in Indonesia and has the answers for your concern. Good luck!

#49827 - 19 Apr 07 20:45 Re: KITAS [Re: andrea]
Pooh Bah

andrea, that would be a good idea, except that the immigration information on expat.or.id at the moment is either out of date or just plain wrong.

(same applies to the PMA company formation section that I sponsor, but which i have not had time to re-write! any volunteers for this work? smile )

#50354 - 26 Apr 07 15:26 Re: KITAS [Re: KuKuKaChu]
hetts Offline
Member+

Loc: New Zealand
Hey Hetts here. Just incase I can't catch you in the quick fire spot.... I just got back from Bali 2 days ago. I went for a job interview... and was successful. Yay! It's an Indonesian Private School. I'm stoked. (Familiar with that term? ...and no wise cracks from you Manwering!).

Just had a wee question about my hubby. Cos I'm a woman apparently he doesn't qualify as "spouse" as set out on the visa forms. Is this true? Is there a way around this one? Doesn't the fact that we are legally married mean he would be on something different from a social visa?

If so, which is the best visa for him to apply for. He hasn't employment. He won't work without a sponsor or kitas. He doesn't have a company, or business... yet.

Can he set up a business once he's there? We realise he is not allowed to work for the business, only direct it.

Hey sori 2 b a nusiance, but poor guy is fretting cos I signed the contract thinking he was sweet for coming in on my kitas as my spouse.

Cheeres, Hetty.

#50498 - 30 Apr 07 16:54 Re: KITAS [Re: hetts]
willyankie Offline

Thanks for the info KK , i had to trick the immigrasi guy a bit and gave him 300 ribu for his help, yeh great practice for Thailand Capt............ your the guru dude

#50504 - 30 Apr 07 18:31 Re: KITAS [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
andrea, that would be a good idea, except that the immigration information on expat.or.id at the moment is either out of date or just plain wrong.

(same applies to the PMA company formation section that I sponsor, but which i have not had time to re-write! any volunteers for this work? smile )

lots of info at the moment is just plain wrong - I had been given some info by an "associate" of mine who confirmed that kids citizenship is being attended to , yet strangely everyone who should be able to "menguruskan" this procedure either know nothing , or want to know nothing .........

#50974 - 06 May 07 18:26 Re: KITAS [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
hetts Offline
Member+

K? In your opinion should we just run with the Social Visa for the interim? And is it possible for a foreigner to obtain a business visa from within Indonesia? Thanks for your advice in the past by the way. You never know, once I've become accustomed to the ins and out, ups and downs, the dance school idea may eventuate.... satu langkah di satu jam ... (and don't you laugh at my attempts either!! LOL! saya awal berbahasa kadang-kadang)

Edited by hetts (06 May 07 18:27)

#50975 - 06 May 07 18:40 Re: KITAS [Re: hetts]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: hetts
K? In your opinion should we just run with the Social Visa for the interim?

'interim' meaning you will be working? if so, then legally speaking you must have a residence visa/work permit.

Quote:
And is it possible for a foreigner to obtain a business visa from within Indonesia?

no. you must leave the country.

Quote:
Thanks for your advice in the past by the way. You never know, once I've become accustomed to the ins and out, ups and downs, the dance school idea may eventuate....

get a feel for the place first, at least for a few months, and you should get an idea of what is possible here.

#51266 - 10 May 07 17:51 Re: KITAS [Re: KuKuKaChu]
hetts Offline
Member+

I have a sponsored teaching position in Bali already, thanks, ... and a Kitas.

It is my husband I'm wondering about - which visa he should get. He will not be working so ... can he get a 12 month Limited Stay visa,( Vitas)? Is a Vitas the same as the Kitas?

We can't seem to clarify whether HE can get the limited stay visa, or whether because he is a male and the term spouse appears to only mean female in Indonesia, it can ONLY be a Social Visa for him. That's our only problem.

Thanks KuKuKaChu.

#51269 - 10 May 07 18:58 Re: KITAS [Re: hetts]
Pooh Bah

your husband will not be able to obtain a KITAS on the strength of your work permit. why? because you are a woman. working foreign wives cannot sponsor their husband's KITAS; thus they are forced to use social visas.

welcome to indonesia.

#51281 - 11 May 07 05:57 Re: KITAS [Re: KuKuKaChu]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
Quote:
And is it possible for a foreigner to obtain a business visa from within Indonesia?

Quote:
no. you must leave the country.

I find this rule/law stupid, that is you have to leave Indonesia to obtain business visa.

Is the penalty still 20 usd per day for overstay?

Edited by nwgirl (11 May 07 06:00)

#51287 - 11 May 07 07:17 Re: KITAS [Re: doremi]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: nwgirl
Is the penalty still 20 usd per day for overstay?

yes, officially. but in nearly all cases it can be negotiated down significantly. for my overstayed clients we typically pay USD10 per day.

where this money goes, of course, is a mystery.

#51305 - 11 May 07 10:48 Re: KITAS [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
If you only have business visa, can you work in Indonesia? I am guessing the answer is no. But I've seen some people did it.

#51309 - 11 May 07 10:55 Re: KITAS [Re: Just]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Just
If you only have business visa, can you work in Indonesia? I am guessing the answer is no. But I've seen some people did it.

you can only work if you have a work permit (IMTA), upon which you can obtain a temporary residence visa (VITAS).

you are not allowed to work on any other type of visa. (old temporary work visas are no longer being issued.) '

note than the word "work" is defined by indonesian bureaucrats, not the person concerned. the word 'business' is defined extremely narrowly, and the word 'work' extremely broadly.

welcome to indonesia.

#51311 - 11 May 07 11:00 Re: KITAS [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Our interpretation is that you can come into Indonesia on a Business Visa which limits you to attending Business Meetings and being within Company or Customers premises during your stay.

As long as there is no "Blue Collar" type work or signature of "Legal or Financial Documents" attempted you should still be within the broad terms of the Business Visa terms and conditions.

#51312 - 11 May 07 11:02 Re: KITAS [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Just Offline
Member+++

So, is that mean if I hate this person badly, I can report her/him to the Manpower? devilyay

#51315 - 11 May 07 11:08 Re: KITAS [Re: Just]
Pooh Bah

So, is that mean if I hate this person badly, I can report her/him to the Manpower? devilyay

you sure can! reporting foreigners to Depnaker/Imigrasi is Indonesia's national sport!

#51317 - 11 May 07 11:13 Re: KITAS [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Just Offline
Member+++

How about giving us the number here? grin That'll be my new sport, Kuk! LOL

#51329 - 11 May 07 12:43 Re: KITAS [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Dilli
Our interpretation is that you can come into Indonesia on a Business Visa which limits you to attending Business Meetings and being within Company or Customers premises during your stay.

As long as there is no "Blue Collar" type work or signature of "Legal or Financial Documents" attempted you should still be within the broad terms of the Business Visa terms and conditions.

I believe that Visa Index 458 (457) allows the holder to temporarily carry out physical work

This was certainly good up to November last year -

So what to do now if I need to have a commissioning engineer do just that ? Do I have to let Agus the Boy Wonder have a go first ?

#51330 - 11 May 07 12:49 Re: KITAS [Re: Just]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

How about giving us the number here? grin That'll be my new sport, Kuk! LOL

Very good Just , can you swim ? with a foot on your head ?

#51332 - 11 May 07 12:55 Re: KITAS [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Quoting: Dilli

I believe that Visa Index 458 (457) allows the holder to temporarily carry out physical work

This was certainly good up to November last year -

So what to do now if I need to have a commissioning engineer do just that ? Do I have to let Agus the Boy Wonder have a go first ?

we have been unsuccessful in obtaining the old 457 since June last year. new index numbers basically abolished the 457. work visas are now all the same, whether short-term or 12 month. Thus, all foreign workers now require work permits/KITAS without exception, no matter how short the period of work. this, of course, is extremely annoying for foreigners who just need to jump in, do something quickly, then jump out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  NetCop