Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49800 - 19 Apr 07 12:59 No more FISKAL??
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
According to info on the "unspun" blog, the FISKAL tax has been abolished. He apparently found it, "Buried in the bottom of page 54 of the 11-25 April 2007 edition of the The Bali Advertiser is a small 'local news' item headlined: KITAS Visa Holders…save money now! It reads:"

"According to the ASEAN Free Trade Agreement, the Fiskal exit tax is no longer in effect for travelers from Indonesia to other ASEAN nations. However, there has been no public announcement and there are no signs at the Fiskal desk at Bali’s airport about this. KITAS holders traveling to ASEAN countries who no longer automatically pay the Fiskal are not challenged at the Immigration desk (The Fiskal desk still accepts the Rp 1,000,000, however, if a KITAS holder does automatically pay it!!!)"

I Wonder when THEY were going to get around to telling us this??? hmmmm....

#49805 - 19 Apr 07 13:55 Re: No more FISKAL?? [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I just spoke with some people at the Bali Advertiser and they said it was just sent in by a reader/company and they (the Bali Advertiser) had no idea if it is true. They said they will print anything sent in.... So just for fun I asked him, "if I sent you a news blurb saying that the USA just dropped a nuclear bomb on Medan, would you print it in the news section?" He said, "why not?"

Oooookkay...

#49807 - 19 Apr 07 14:03 Re: No more FISKAL?? [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
You share the same standards of objectivity and accuracy then ......

#49809 - 19 Apr 07 14:54 Re: No more FISKAL?? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I've called the ASEAN secretariat and scoured their website, but nobody who I spoke with had a clue. I've checked the RI Finance ministry, nothing...

Here's the number for the ASEAN secretariat. I'm still waiting for -- apparently -- the one man who will know to answer his phone.
ASEAN main tel. 021-726-2991

Name of guy who is supposed to know, Edi. His ext. is supposedly 211

Someone else give a try, I'm not picking up another phone for a week after all those headaches.

#49840 - 20 Apr 07 08:33 Re: No more FISKAL?? [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
We had the PWC Tax consultant in the office yesterday!
Ironically he is Balinese.

His statement was that may people in the past few days have asked the same question and , you guessed it, the information in each case was disemminated from Bali!

Oh yes, nearly forgot, it's not true!

#49848 - 20 Apr 07 09:44 Re: No more FISKAL?? [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
one can only hope that it's true. Is there any other country in the whole world you have to pay to leave?? They should ditch the exit permit rules for expat workers as well which is ridiculous. If you have to fly home in an emergency and don't have time to go to immigration and fart about, say if someone dies in your home country, you can't. In fact you can on a tourist visa. So If you're working illegally on a tourist visa you can see your dying mother on her death bed but if you're all legal then you can't..go figure

Edited by Roy's hair (20 Apr 07 09:47)

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop