Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49670 - 17 Apr 07 23:08 Question for Orang Kanada
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
Hey Frenchie,

I have a question for you that I have been wondering about for years...

For a brief time in the mid nineties I was stationed at CFB St. Jean, and being so I had many Québécois commanders who swore at us in Québécois or Jaoul... or whatever...
One word in particular that I am wondering about... sounds like Esti or maybe it is two words... Es-ti... I think it is somewhat equivalent to Shit or Crap.
Do you have any idea what word I might be referring to? I've asked other Canadians who can speak French (but are not Québécois) and they had no idea.

#49675 - 18 Apr 07 06:29 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
It's a Québécois swear, 'ostie' but it can sound like 'osti', 'esti' or just 'sti'. It can have many meanings ans uses.

Stand alone, it is like 'fuck' or 'shit', just a swear.
Can be use to put emphasis on something, like; 'fucking' moron.
And more, but hard to give examples in english...

You probably also heard: criss, tabarnak, câlisse, calvaire, etc... rich and colorful language wink

#49722 - 18 Apr 07 12:02 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Orang Kanada]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Mr.Kanada, can you swear in bahasa indo?

#49760 - 18 Apr 07 19:36 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: juminten]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Ngentot berensek

#49769 - 18 Apr 07 21:10 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Orang Kanada]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
itil

#49770 - 18 Apr 07 21:49 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
English Forum

#49774 - 18 Apr 07 23:08 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
notwithstanding that the supposed "swearing" here is neither understood or used by indonesians , it is trash jakartanese used by wannabes who have no culture .

All of the crap posted on the "indonesian swearing " thread some time back is either meaningless or only spoken by the worst sort of blok m trash .

learn to speak the basics of indonesian before trying such rubbish , and that is equally valid to a number of the WNI posters too.

#49777 - 19 Apr 07 06:36 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
notwithstanding that the supposed "swearing" here is neither understood or used by indonesians , it is trash jakartanese used by wannabes who have no culture .

All of the crap posted on the "indonesian swearing " thread some time back is either meaningless or only spoken by the worst sort of blok m trash .

learn to speak the basics of indonesian before trying such rubbish , and that is equally valid to a number of the WNI posters too.

On s'en câlisse de s'que tu pense ostie cave

#49779 - 19 Apr 07 07:35 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe

this is true. indonesians are really, really bad at swearing and cussing.

and it's not just indonesian vocabulary that is the "limiting" factor, but something deeper within.

maybe it's that many indonesian cultures demand that individuals maintain the appearance of self control and politeness that "holds back" the development of swearing and cussing.

#49780 - 19 Apr 07 07:51 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Well fuck me dead, I never fucking knew that....thankfully this does not apply to Scots!

#49784 - 19 Apr 07 08:50 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Orang Kanada]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Orang Kanada

Very good , unfortunately about a useful as Swiss German , but memorable nonetheless . I'll be sure to update my french dictionary with it , in case I ever have a desire to go somewhere and be bored to death.

#49787 - 19 Apr 07 09:31 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Orang Kanada]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Ngentot berensek

it's fix with this one upyours

#49801 - 19 Apr 07 13:01 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Jokie Jokie Girl]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

You don't have to bother - even that is spelt wrong , I rest my case about learning to speak the language properly (yes and how to spell it) before even thinking about learning the seedier side .

After travelling through a few places , one of the first things that comes up from ignorant expats is "how to say 'fuck off' in keswahilli ?" or whatever the local language might be - they can't phone a cab , but if by chance they happen to find one , then at least they can tell him to fuck off , really good that .

Forget it , Indonesian doesn't support swearing with any degree of refinement , there are a few unpleasantries that can be uttered in Javanese , so why bother ?

Another example of kampungese boso Jakarta.

#49802 - 19 Apr 07 13:08 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Alternatively, if you have language problems you could always do what this advert suggests.......

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e383/DilligafJKT/?action=view&current=Whygetacameraphone.flv

#49815 - 19 Apr 07 18:09 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Very good , unfortunately about a useful as Swiss German , but memorable nonetheless . I'll be sure to update my french dictionary with it , in case I ever have a desire to go somewhere and be bored to death.

I said: "Nobody cares about what you think, you fucking twit." So stop replying, jerk. I don't care anymore of what you can think of Canada or french-Canadians, so fuck-off. It's people like you who make learning how to say 'fuck off' in many languages useful. If you're just a bit smart, you'll realise that any reply from you will prove me right. Check mate, mate.

#49822 - 19 Apr 07 19:02 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Orang Kanada]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

don't get the arse Hank Marvin , you will break a string .
Why not post it in Indonesian , now that you scratch a living here ?

#49835 - 20 Apr 07 07:10 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Orang Kanada]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
[quote=Capt. Mainwaring]notwithstanding that the supposed "swearing" here is neither understood or used by indonesians , it is trash jakartanese used by wannabes who have no culture .

I said: "Nobody cares about what you think, you fucking twit." So stop replying, jerk. I don't care anymore of what you can think of Canada or french-Canadians, so fuck-off. It's people like you who make learning how to say 'fuck off' in many languages useful. If you're just a bit smart, you'll realise that any reply from you will prove me right. Check mate, mate.
[/quote]

Cheers to you OK!

#49841 - 20 Apr 07 09:06 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

don't get the arse Hank Marvin , you will break a string .
Why not post it in Indonesian , now that you scratch a living here ?

#49845 - 20 Apr 07 09:31 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Orang Kanada]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Not with target ammunition , and you spelt "FAVOUR" wrong .

#49846 - 20 Apr 07 09:41 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

North American spelling....I prpeare my reports in UK English, an American compiles a number of reports and uses US English on spell check.

The report goes to a scottish guy whose secretary runs UK English spell check on it, and lo and behold, its back to where it started.

#49850 - 20 Apr 07 09:50 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

you mean "North American misspelling" - I do wonder if Microsoft ever considered a Weedgie spell checker ?

#49851 - 20 Apr 07 09:53 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Not with target ammunition , and you spelt "FAVOUR" wrong .

So with real ammunitions you will do it? What's your address? I send it right away!

I can imagine the headline:

Attachments
1542-image1.php.jpg

#49852 - 20 Apr 07 09:56 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Orang Kanada]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quite amusing , especially from you , though you could have done better with the photo , and it is " blows his head off" .

#49853 - 20 Apr 07 09:58 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

you mean "North American misspelling" - I do wonder if Microsoft ever considered a Weedgie spell checker ?

It must be on the way....we have the operating system

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/belters/windies.doc

#49854 - 20 Apr 07 09:58 Re: Question for Orang Kanada [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Dilli
North American spelling....I prpeare my reports in UK English, an American compiles a number of reports and uses US English on spell check.

The report goes to a scottish guy whose secretary runs UK English spell check on it, and lo and behold, its back to where it started.

But it's amazing how much US English has infiltrated the minds of Brits and Aussies. One of the hats I wear is editing a magazine a few days a month and we've decided on exclusive use of UK English as our style. Most contributors are Brits/Aussies, but it's me -- who grew up on US English -- who is constantly changing their USisms back to UK English. Just shows the ubiquitousness of American pop culture I guess, when some Brit writers no longer even realize their using US English.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop