Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49127 - 06 Apr 07 11:12 Commie Woman for Prez
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
This is an article by our own Fabio Scarpello...I met Dita Sari and some other PRD people back in 1998. I wouldn't categorize myself as a Lefist per se, but I sure hope she wins. Just for the drama value. BTW, her biggest contribution to the "Communist cause" was to suggest higher wages and humane working conditions for female sweat-shop workers in Nike and Reebok factories.

------------------------------------------------------------

INDONESIA: LEFTIST PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE UNDETERRED

Jakarta, 4 April (AKI) - Dita Sari, a leader of Indonesia's People's Democratic Party (PRD), has vowed to run as a candidate for the leftist Papernas alliance in Indonesia's next presidential polls despite threats by radical Islamists. "We will not be intimidated," said Dita in an interview with Adnkronos International (AKI). Papernas has been labelled "communist" - an ideology and party prohibited in Indonesia - and last week its supporters were attacked by members of the Front Pembela Islam (FPI). "I will do everything to take part in the presidential elections," Dita said.

"Indonesia is a new democracy," said Dita. "It is fair that it is enriched with new points of view," she told AKI.

Dita's People's Democratic Party (PRD) is the main party in a national coalition known as Papernas. After years of militancy in the trade unions, Dita entered politics two years ago and is currently a Papernas candidate for the 2009 presidential elections. The 35-year old was a political prisoner during the autocratic regime of former president Suharto.

Dita, who defines Papernas as a "nationalist and not a communist" coalition, said she has made an official complaint about the attack on her supporters last week but said that such intimidation will not stop them.

"It is right to go ahead and persist," she said, admitting that the path ahead however is arduous.

Dita believes that the government of Indonesian president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono is weak and she looks to South America for inspiration on how to manage the economy.

"The government does not respect the civil rights of the citizens," she said. "The FPI attack against us is one example of this. In the past, the FPI has attacked churches and other groups but nothing has been done," she said.

"Also the government grants too many licences to foreign companies for the exploitation of our natural resoruces. Some of the useful examples on how to manage the natural resources come from the Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez, and the Bolivian leader, Evo Morales," she said.

These two leader have initiated programmes in their respective countries to nationalise natural resources and key industries.

"We have learnt a lot from them," said Dita.

Dita explained that Papernas derives most of its support from the urban lower middle class and from students.

The coalition currently has 140 branch offices in Indonesia, a number that is however not sufficient to satisfy the electoral law that stipulates a 75 percent presence in the 340 districts of the country.

#49131 - 06 Apr 07 11:54 Re: Commie Woman for Prez [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
She's a brave lass. Anyone to the left of Genghis Khan is liable for an ass kickin' in this country. I'm glad Dita's still on the scene though.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop