Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47975 - 22 Mar 07 09:19 Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Jim-Bob Moffatt the CEO of Freeport, amateur Elvis impersonator and former University of Texas football star, is widely recognized as a genius (as in: Gawddammit Gump YOUZ a FRIGGIN' GENIUS!).... so thought we could re-visit some of his memorable missives.

"Do you know what an F.O.B. is in Washington?" asked James Moffett in 1998, chief executive of Freeport McMoRan Copper and Gold, the giant mining company based in New Orleans, in a recent newspaper interview. "It's friends of Bill [clinton]. That's how you get contracts with the U.S. government. And before that, it was friends of Bush [sr.]. And before that ..."

"We have a volcano that's been decapitated by nature, and we're mining the esophagus, if you will."

"I can assure you that we receive better treatment in some foreign countries than we do here" -- on U.S. citizens attempts to hold Freeport accountable to the law.

"We find President Suharto to be a compassionate man."

"I graduated with the highest grades of any footballer at the University of Texas" -- explaining his qualifications to order Austin, Texas city officials around.

"You've got to be able to just goddam know your instincts are right" -- explaining how CEO's function.

"This is not a job for us, it's a religion" -- describing Grasberg as the world's greatest mine.

"I guarantee you this sombitch is glad we found a copper and gold mine" -- showing a slide of a smiling Irianese youth in a bellhop uniform -- "(...before Freeport arrived) the young man was raising vegetables or doing whatever on the mountain with his parents."

"We're going to mine all the way to New Orleans."

He describes his company's operations as "thrusting a spear of economic development into the heartland" of Papua.

Quotes by Jim Bob Moffett, CEO of Freeport McMoRan

Jim Bob is the tall one with white pants with his legendary former coach Darrell Royal and other ex ball players.

#48015 - 22 Mar 07 12:05 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: riccardo]
Polisi Cepek Offline
Member*

Loc: Di tengah hutan
This is hilarious. Keep 'em coming.

#48016 - 22 Mar 07 12:07 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: Polisi Cepek]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
is it possible to take someone seriously when they have a name like Jim Bob?!

#48017 - 22 Mar 07 12:10 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: KuKuKaChu]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
What's the equivalent of Jim Bob in Australia or England?

#48024 - 22 Mar 07 12:25 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: doremi]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: nwgirl

australian and british equivalencies don't go quite that low.

#48040 - 22 Mar 07 13:42 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: KuKuKaChu]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
"I guarantee you this sombitch is glad we found a copper and gold mine" -- showing a slide of a smiling Irianese youth in a bellhop uniform -- "(...before Freeport arrived) the young man was raising vegetables or doing whatever on the mountain with his parents."

lol...i luv that one, my favorite....

i don't see why people rag on him, i think he's a great businessman...one of the few real foreign success stories in this god-foresaken land....

#48049 - 22 Mar 07 14:11 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: naga]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Quoting: naga

i don't see why people rag on him, i think he's a great businessman...one of the few real foreign success stories in this god-foresaken land....

I do 'see' why people rag on him, and I'm not actually doing it here. My point is to show the type of tough, "non-PC" guy it takes to be a success in the "wild west" of Indonesia. In a way, he might be one of the last great Western industrialists. Most Western societies have been bitten by the liberal bug, which includes all the PC hypocrisy and disingenuous tree-hugging, and have essentially crushed the spirit of similar men and that's why so many of the tough, non-PC entrepreneurs of China, Mexico, Russia and India have taken over -- because Western societies are stifling their best and brightest.

Oh and BTW, the Australian equivalent is "Rupert."

#48057 - 22 Mar 07 14:18 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: riccardo
Oh and BTW, the Australian equivalent is "Rupert."

nah. not even close.

#48099 - 23 Mar 07 04:09 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: KuKuKaChu]
doremi Offline
Member+++

If I were a man, I wished to be Jim Bob or Rupert-- Money and Power, no better combo than that.

#48119 - 23 Mar 07 11:40 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: doremi]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand

Aussie would be Jimbo-Bobbo. Dose,nt quite sound right does it

#48149 - 23 Mar 07 14:58 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: doremi]
Polisi Cepek Offline
Member*

Loc: Di tengah hutan

The Aussie equivalent of Jib-Bob would be the directors of BHP who ran the Ok Tedi mine in PNG, the river-dumping 'sister' mine to Freeport here in Papua province.

John Prescott, Paul Anderson, etc. They're equally evil bastards, but they're not Elvis impersonators, so sadly it's not so funny.

#48170 - 24 Mar 07 07:59 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: Polisi Cepek]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Quoting: Polisi Busuk

The Aussie equivalent of Jib-Bob would be the directors of BHP who ran the Ok Tedi mine in PNG, the river-dumping 'sister' mine to Freeport here in Papua province.

John Prescott, Paul Anderson, etc. They're equally evil bastards, but they're not Elvis impersonators, so sadly it's not so funny.

Polisi is right. Not funny when these companies only take what only important to them and leave the the "mess" behind for the people.

No accountability or social responsibilities; why should they if the people themselves don't make them.Sad!

#48214 - 24 Mar 07 13:26 Re: Ode to Jim-Bob of Freeport [Re: naga]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
Quoting: naga

Yeah, it's a success story.......but when you are mining gold at a couple of million ounces a year at US$650 per ounce, it's pretty hard to be NOT successful!

Moderator:  NetCop