Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47964 - 21 Mar 07 23:59 Asian film awards 2007
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
The first Asian Film Awards granted Indonesian composer Rahayu Supanggah the award for best music on Garin Nugroho’s Austrian-Indonesian musical Opera Jawa. Unfortunately the Indonesian medias didn't cover the event as much as it should have been, considering the importance of such an award for the Indonesian music community.

Complete article here

________

I know, I know, who cares, right? That's my point. While major artists who contribute to the spreading of the Indonesian culture world-wide get rewarded, local medias prefer to air TV specials about the wedding of the new up-coming pop starlet. Where is the national pride? And please don't tell me medias just give to the people what they want... keeping them ignorant will never be a good answer.

#47981 - 22 Mar 07 10:11 Re: Asian film awards 2007 [Re: Orang Kanada]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

"And please don't tell me medias just give to the people what they want... keeping them ignorant will never be a good answer." ....

Good point OK. In my opinion the UK had the right idea when they bought in the TV license scheme. Every household / business in the UK who owns a TV must pay about 110 pounds a year. I know it sounds like a lot but take a look at what you get for your money. You get quality programming that offers a diverse range of choice. Part of their charter is to ensure that they offer programming for minority as well as the masses and to offer programming that educates people.

I feel it is for this reason that UK TV is the best in the world. Sure we still have the rubbish and crap most countries do but you are exposed to a much wider variety of programming than anywhere in the world.

Check out www.bbc.co.uk and have a look at the content on offer here and its free to the world.

#47993 - 22 Mar 07 11:08 Re: Asian film awards 2007 [Re: chewwyUK]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: chewwyUK
I feel it is for this reason that UK TV is the best in the world. Sure we still have the rubbish and crap most countries do but you are exposed to a much wider variety of programming than anywhere in the world.

"we have a wider variety of crap than anywhere in the world" wink

yes, bbc rules. but you are comparing it to the lowest common denominator, US television.

#47994 - 22 Mar 07 11:14 Re: Asian film awards 2007 [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Man Eater Offline

Two thumbs for BBC!!!

strange......... recently someone keep emailing me BBC website.... i hope he is HOT.- so i would like to eat him.

#48101 - 23 Mar 07 06:07 Re: Asian film awards 2007 [Re: KuKuKaChu]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
Quoting: chewwyUK

"we have a wider variety of crap than anywhere in the world" wink

yes, bbc rules. but you are comparing it to the lowest common denominator, US television.

We've got excellent programs here too. The program with Hugh Hefner and his 3 bunnies (lovely), E news! American Idols, Dancing with Stars, etc.etc to name just a few...wink

Seriously, we've got PBS, Public Broadcasting Service, BBC-like, excellent program, Discovery Channel, History Channnel, and my fav the Food Network - cooking channel (some may disagree with me, yeah whatever )

#48102 - 23 Mar 07 06:20 Re: Asian film awards 2007 [Re: doremi]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Yes but you also have "Two and a Half Men" and there is no excuse for that

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop