Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47917 - 21 Mar 07 04:58 Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
What's the poster? An adverstisement for cologne for gay men? No, I'm not against gay/lesbian, in fact have gay friends. It's just interesting, gayness is socially acceptable now in Indonesia? I know of Indo gays who moved to the USA because they find more acceptance here than in Indo.

#47944 - 21 Mar 07 14:06 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: doremi]
No Eye Dear Offline
Member+

Loc: Mars
Banshees and gayness has always been accepted in Indonesia. It is the only place I know in the world that drag queens are an accpeted part of society....look at Indonesian television Transvestites comparing shows where the audience is all these Muslim housewives wearing hijabs. Everywhere you look there are banshees in your face, bars, the mall and TV.

The reason why gays move to USA is the same reason why staight girls move there...a better life and a higher chance you can catch a western man... = money = good life.

#47947 - 21 Mar 07 16:01 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: doremi]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quoting: nwgirl
What's the poster? An adverstisement for cologne for gay men? No, I'm not against gay/lesbian, in fact have gay friends. It's just interesting, gayness is socially acceptable now in Indonesia? I know of Indo gays who moved to the USA because they find more acceptance here than in Indo.

me too..I'm not against! i have some friends are lesbians or gays smile they're nice smile

when you ask about the status of gayness in Indo..now, most of society accept them..last time, they had own group but now not anymore....
when I was in University in Bandung..I had some friends are gays and lesbians..they had a place or bascamp in Cihamplas-Bandung Area...they had good activities..like painting, theater, they had bookshop and they're more open mind..so, I LIKE THEM, I joint them...and maybe, I was the one of them at that time.. grin

#47950 - 21 Mar 07 17:27 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: Jokie Jokie Girl]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
gay is more open now, in indo and everywhere. Before, its hard for gay people to express themselves even in such place that boast bout liberty like in the states. I think people getting more and more open about it, so as in Jakarta. Which is great. I don't think there should be anyone do discrimination about sexual preference or even gender... and that's why i love Sydney, its so gay-ish...

Edited by emmajkt (21 Mar 07 17:30)

#47985 - 22 Mar 07 10:39 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: No Eye Dear]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Quoting: No Eye Dear

The reason why gays move to USA is the same reason why staight girls move there...a better life and a higher chance you can catch a western man... = money = good life.

I believe there is more opportunity available to women or men (straight or not) in the US; one example, is the help wanted ads in Indonesia, they all have "age requirement" listed on them. I don't see why a woman over 30 can't apply for sales rep or whatever the job is or what age has to do with the position.

I have no idea why you think that catching a western man would equal good life? Not in the circle that I'm hanging around, most Indonesian women in the US, have good careers, they don't need to marry western men to support them.
Btw, any Indo citizen will have to prove to the US embassy that she/her family has the money to support her.

#47989 - 22 Mar 07 10:49 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: doremi]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
No Eye Dear, i did not move to the US to catch western men! and i DO NOT need western men to support me! i live alone, i have a job ( a good one too). that's a very pathetic comment of yours!

#47991 - 22 Mar 07 10:59 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: juminten]
Man Eater Offline

Loc: Jakarta
Wallet Digga, i think you should show to the Great No Eye Dear about your educational background. so far, you never showed! But all you have showed is just like No Eye Dear have comments maybe about You. hhh stop licking girl!!

#47996 - 22 Mar 07 11:25 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: Man Eater]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

very true NWgirl ... USA is full of Indonesians that have enjoyed a good education and have had families that have the money to give them this start in life and are able to show the money needed in their account to get the visa. Maybe there are also some that have done things the hard way and managed to get a good scholarship (i haven't heard of any but im sure they must be there).

Unfortunately not everybody is lucky enough to have this. Those people who maybe havent had the wealth of a family to give them these opportunities see getting a "western male" as a chance of getting themselves a better life. Please note I am not saying all, as I know of plenty of indonesian girls that wouldnt touch a western man.

I know this topic always gets people a little heated but the truth is there are two different types of indonesians - those with money and those without. Those with money have a LOT of wealth and power and can afford many things in life including having a nice home, cars, good medical treatment and education.. In short they have a bright secure future.

Unfortunately the vast majority of people come from families that dont have any future and just try to get through life on a day by day basis. It is this group of people that maybe look at securing themselves a better life by looking to find a guy who will take them away and give them and their children a brighter future. These people are not to be looked down on .. they are just doing what they need to do to give themselves a better life.

So yes there are more chances overseas but only Indonesians from wealthy families get to take advantage of them. How does the poor "kampung girl" ever get there???

#47999 - 22 Mar 07 11:31 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: Man Eater]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Man Eater
Wallet Digga, i think you should show to the Great No Eye Dear about your educational background. so far, you never showed! But all you have showed is just like No Eye Dear have comments maybe about You. hhh stop licking girl!!

oohhh..lady Man Eater, smile sorry i cant show you my edu backround, unless your No Eye Dear is hiring and offering more $$$ so that i can go back to indo..however i can show you how to EAT MAN better! stop licking?....well i can't stop it either, lick is one of my fav things to do! thanks!

#48001 - 22 Mar 07 11:38 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: chewwyUK]
Man Eater Offline

not a challenge question Mr. English...

#48003 - 22 Mar 07 11:41 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: Man Eater]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

PB why are you back ???

#48004 - 22 Mar 07 11:41 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: juminten]
Man Eater Offline

Quoting: wallet digga'
Quoting: Man Eater

oohhh..lady Man Eater, smile sorry i cant show you my edu backround, unless your No Eye Dear is hiring and offering more $$$ so that i can go back to indo..however i can show you how to EAT MAN better! stop licking?....well i can't stop it either, lick is one of my fav things to do! thanks!

OK then! keep licking the ar$e girl!!

#48005 - 22 Mar 07 11:43 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: chewwyUK]
doremi Offline
Member+++

I am a little frustrated perhaps by comment made about marrying western guy = money and there are plenty opinion of such.

Nothing wrong with finding brighter future and there is nothing wrong with having a guy provides for it, good for her or him.
Everyone is entitled to "better life", no put down whatsoever.

I credited my family for giving me a chance to study here in the US, but the rest was entirely up to me, working hard to get scholarship to finish and getting work visa; it was not all sweet journey for me, bumpy at times.

#48006 - 22 Mar 07 11:45 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: chewwyUK]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: chewwyUK
PB why are you back ???

LOL....MAN EATER is a MAN? Polar Bear??? wow...!

#48007 - 22 Mar 07 11:50 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: doremi]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I know that its not an easy ride .. just that you were in the vast minority of Indonesians who had that chance.

I know it can be annoying when somebody make the western guy = money statement but for somebody without a good family this statement rings true.

You know as well as I do that the chances of an Indonesian girl marrying in to an Indonesian family with money is almost 0%. I have seen families break up two people who are so in love because she / he is not on the same financial level. However a western guy doesnt tend to care about status of partner but concentrate other things.

#48008 - 22 Mar 07 11:52 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: juminten]
Man Eater Offline

Quoting: wallet digga'
PB why are you back ???

LOL....MAN EATER is a MAN? Polar Bear??? wow...!

Mr. English does not know what to do. he speak too much sometime but he has only un-interesting question.

#48010 - 22 Mar 07 11:54 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: Man Eater]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

oh good another one for the ignore list -- that makes PB and PB/Man Eater

#48011 - 22 Mar 07 11:57 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: chewwyUK]
Man Eater Offline

again. not important for me.

#48014 - 22 Mar 07 12:05 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: chewwyUK]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

what really annoyed me was the stereotyped comments they made. it would be nice if they use a word "MOST" or "SOME"??

#48018 - 22 Mar 07 12:11 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: chewwyUK]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

i did add him/her in my ignore list. she/he got HUGE feet #38..i dont wanna fight with him!

i'll let him to talk to the wall!

#48028 - 22 Mar 07 12:56 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: chewwyUK]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
I know that its not an easy ride .. just that you were in the vast minority of Indonesians who had that chance.

I know it can be annoying when somebody make the western guy = money statement but for somebody without a good family this statement rings true.

You know as well as I do that the chances of an Indonesian girl marrying in to an Indonesian family with money is almost 0%. I have seen families break up two people who are so in love because she / he is not on the same financial level. However a western guy doesnt tend to care about status of partner but concentrate other things.

I'm completely agree of what u said. Me personally feel ashamed about the gap in Indonesian society, if you don't come from the rich family that who can support you to study abroad, there's no way for young indonesian to study like in US or other country. Its not like most Indonesian blind or something, i'm saying this without Hypocracy, Rich Indo wouldn't mix with poor indo. Weird really. Western culture have more different perception and value about giving judgement to a person. Its lucky enough for me to travel a bit, i've been blessed with whatever god to even been in Uni in Jkt and have the luxury to study and live here. Some how i feel people deserve to have the same chance, its very disturbing and damaging to live in Society where people look at you and give you a value not because of who you are, but WHAT you have. I wish that place will be better oneday.

#48034 - 22 Mar 07 13:30 Re: Jakarta Daily Photo/JDP March 21 [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar

Think you may be wrong there Chewwy, trust me on this one!

Moderator:  NetCop