Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47817 - 18 Mar 07 13:51 I may be going to Purwokerto later this year.
terenjac Offline
Member+

Loc: Previously Wagin, Western Aust...
I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. If I do get this contract I will be there for 7 months.

I did an internet search but was unable to find much about Purwokerto.

After 4 years teaching in South Korea I do know a little of what to expect in an Asian country. Nevertheless, I would be very grateful for any comments or advice people may have in regard to Indonesia in general and Purwokerto in particular.

I'm not into bars and night clubs but I would like to see as much as possible during my time there. So, what is there to see and do in and around Purwokerto ?

Advice on the cost of living for an 'economical' Westerner would be appreciated.

What sort of accommodation is available for a Westerner ?

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT ..... WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF GETTING ACCOMMODATION WITH A WESTERN TOILET ? (Don't laugh, I hated the "squatter" toilets found in older parts of South Korea)

Are taxis cheap in Indonesia? (In Korea they are really cheap and I used them frequently)

Hope someone can spare the time to give me a few pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Terenjac

#47818 - 18 Mar 07 13:57 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: terenjac]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Purwokerto is just your average crowded, javanese city with very little in the way of infrastructure.

there is a sort of major university (one of my wives went there), but otherwise, it holds very little attraction for westerners, apart from anthropologists.

you must have done something real bad to get sent there smile

#47820 - 18 Mar 07 14:20 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
On the Western toilets part. There probably won't be one in the entire region surrounding Purwokerto. However, one of the most affordable things here is construction. Find a house/apt you like, then tell the owner you want to install a western toilet. He/she can do it for you and they'll probably charge you what it costs them plus a bit of profit. OR, buy the toilet yourself in Jakarta or Jogja and just hire some local guy to install it.

#47829 - 18 Mar 07 17:15 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Now I am starting to get a little worried ........ is it really that bad ?

I suppose things will be OK if I just look on it as an opportunity to do some intensive Bahasa Indonesia study in my spare time.

#47830 - 18 Mar 07 18:25 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: terenjac]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: terenjac
Now I am starting to get a little worried ........ is it really that bad ?

I suppose things will be OK if I just look on it as an opportunity to do some intensive Bahasa Indonesia study in my spare time.

it's not really that bad. but it's not really that good. at the end of the day, it will be what you make from it.

and yes, you will need to learn indonesian. unless you want to spend all your time with clingons treating you as an unpaid guru les privat and bule status symbol.

#47831 - 18 Mar 07 18:30 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
tanyakenapa Offline

Loc: Batavia
hey,

I left you a message on ESL CAFE website... smile

the major uni in Purwokerto is UNIVERSITAS JENDRAL SUDIRMAN...

#47834 - 18 Mar 07 21:37 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: tanyakenapa]
terranova Offline
Member+

i dont know purwokerto.. but i guess it is smaller then magelang (the city in central java).i was at magelang to have my psychologist practice year. my employee said the city is not that bad ( the education they have university, hot water medicine pool (nature) call batu raden, and there is 5 star hotel (but i guess dont compare with jakarta 5 star hotel). yet dont think it is posh city.

first u have to adjust the food. and dont ask the people hurry bcz they do things in their own pace. it was a bit schock culture bit when i was there with my team to work there. bcz here at jakarta we work fast running the time... and there.. they have their own pace .. yet we understand to adjust by time. we get adjust and understand more the culture and their pace. all in their pace ( from talking, working, how they sing chruch songs... all the javanese style) but i love it to know more about other culture. once i ever tried to come to the javanese mass .. i dont understand the language but since the basic mass same in all catholic chruch so i can understand the parts. i think it is nice ...

hope u will like the time u live there.
catch u later on.

#47851 - 19 Mar 07 10:51 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: terenjac]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
Hi, don't worries about this city. Just same like another city in Indo, have bad and good things. Sorry i can't give you advance, but i think better for you to buy book lonely planet. In that book have everything informations you want. Good luck!
Cheers.

#47870 - 20 Mar 07 09:13 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: dolphin]
kucinggemuk Offline
Member+

Kuku " there is a sort of major university (one of my wives went there), but otherwise, it holds very little attraction for westerners, apart from anthropologists.

you must have done something real bad to get sent there "

Kuku,.I have studied in Sudirman University and my folks are from Purwokerto,.before they moved to Jakarta and I knew a lot of Purwokerto. It's not only having one university,.but has lots,.I have visited it last week and I saw so many changes around there. So For the future commer to Purwokerto,.I think no worry to get there and not as a bad luck. The air is more freshes and cleaner than Jakarta,.the people are more friendly than Jakarta,..the food is more delicious and cheaper than Jakarta,.the place is more cleaner than Jakarta. There are lots of Malls,.depstores,..if you wanna get to relaxing,.you can go up there in Baturaden with cheaper rate of Hotels,.can enjoyed much more ha just in Puncak,.

When I was there studying in the university,.there are soem of my friends came from Holland, England and Australia,.some was working and some was studying,..

Transportation?,.mmhhh very easy,.there are available very good taxi,.(as in Jakarta such as Blue Bird),.the driver are very friendly and,.only one thing you have to know that if you wanna get the taxi you must call it because will be not always available on the street passing by as like in Jakarta. The taxi are new so,.more comfortable to ride and not smelling bad,.

One advice for me if you will be staying there,.please try to find at elast one person who wanna be your good friend as your guide. So she/he will accompany you to find anything you need in the beginning time,...

About "Western toilet",..
Please,.dont think Purwokerto people are from Amazon,.they are modern now,.indeed soem poeple in the village are still using river to do so but,.no need to worry,.about that western style,.dont' underestimate them..I ve been there for years,.so no bullshit above,.believe me,..

Hope it will help you to know Purwokerto..

FatCat

"I am the fat cat and steady in my 70 kilos weight, no doubt"

#47918 - 21 Mar 07 05:02 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: kucinggemuk]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Re my request for info on Purwoketo ......... There have been many different opinions and lots of helpful advice. I realise that living there will be similar to living in South Korea. I really hope I get that contract and am able to spend some time in Indonesia.

Thankyou everyone for your comments.

terenjac

#47971 - 22 Mar 07 08:41 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: terenjac]
nasigoreng Offline

Loc: jakarta
During your seven months you'll probably be forced to use a squat toilet more than a few times... always bring tissue with you wherever you go.

Lonely Planet write-up on Purwokerto:
This medium-sized city is primarily a transport hub for trains and buses; you may find yourself here en route between Wonosobo or Cilacap, or on the way to Baturaden. Purwokerto is an unhurried, remarkably clean city [i'll believe it when i see it] with some architectural reminders of the Dutch colonial era. It has plenty of hotels, but Baturaden is a better option for finding accomodation.

a 4-5 hour bus ride from Purwokerto will get to you to:
Wonosobo (can see Dieng Plateau)
Pangandaran Beach
Yogyakarta (can see Borobudor temple, kraton, tourists)

For learning Bahasa Indonesia, I started with the book:
Everyday Indonesian. You can probably get it on amazon. Very easy and functional lessons.

#47982 - 22 Mar 07 10:14 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: nasigoreng]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
[quote=nasigoreng]During your seven months you'll probably be forced to use a squat toilet more than a few times... always bring tissue with you wherever you go.

LoL, coz' no public toilets in Indonesia use toilet papers, only use water hehehehe... Except u in stars hotels hehehe...

#48027 - 22 Mar 07 12:48 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: dolphin]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Don't even think Purwokerto like Jungle of Jakarta city with all their glamorous and everything, but there was nice places there if you just wanted for hang out or meet your buddies but it's like cafe and the food quite nice too and don't even think this place it's an Amazon too, even it's a small town but hope you can enjoy there.

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#48083 - 22 Mar 07 15:32 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: Macan Tutul]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
" Don't be shy with yourself, you have lots of talent without you notice....that's human, just be who you are."

nice signature, MT..I just read!

#48092 - 22 Mar 07 18:19 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: nasigoreng]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Quoting: nasigoreng

For learning Bahasa Indonesia, I started with the book:
Everyday Indonesian. You can probably get it on amazon. Very easy and functional lessons.

I studied Indonesian language and culture 10 years ago - since then I have only spoken a few words of Bahasa Indonesia. I still have my old text books and intend to do some serious revision over the next couple of months. Hopefully it will all come back to me.

#48093 - 22 Mar 07 18:32 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: terenjac]
Pooh Bah

use it or lose it! smile

#48095 - 22 Mar 07 20:18 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
a friend had studied at the Sudirman Univ. i heard purwokerto is really nice clean city! it is near to mount slamet, with a nice hot spring up in batu raden? i'd like to visit one day...

#48140 - 23 Mar 07 13:25 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: juminten]
kucinggemuk Offline
Member+

Hi, WD,.
that's true 100 % of what you said.
When I was there,.I almost never seen "comberan",.over the city,.because always clean and they put them under the earth not as like in Jakarta you can find everywhere,.and dirty,.smelly,.not really nice to looking at..

Comberan : dirty, smelly small stream,.

"I am the fat cat and steady in my 70 kilos weight, no doubt"

#48182 - 24 Mar 07 11:08 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: terenjac]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand
When in Indo I generally stay in WANGUUN( i think thats how it is spelled )not far away and occasionaly spend time in Purwoketo, Nothing wrong with the place as far as I am concerned

Edited by Diyu (24 Mar 07 11:10)

#48234 - 25 Mar 07 06:55 Re: I may be going to Purwokerto later this year. [Re: Diyu]
terenjac Offline
Member+

There have been lots of replies to my request for info .... some good and some not so good. I guess it all depends on what you want out of a city or town. I knew people in Korea who wouldn't accept a job anywhere other than Seoul. Others, like me, were happy to go to the smaller towns.

If you live in a smaller town you must be prepared to do without some of life's luxuries. Plus you must make an effort to learn the language because the number of people speaking English decreases as the town gets smaller. As for me, I'm not into bars and nightclubs. Also I enjoy learning a new language, not that I'm particularly good at languages.

So, like I said before, I really do hope I get this job. I will let you all know when / if I am offered the position.

Moderator:  NetCop