Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47561 - 15 Mar 07 07:29 Korea
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

Loc: Tegal
You may not know, but I live in Korea, the free part, although I am not Korean. I'm interested to hear everyone's honest opinions and impressions of Korea, Koreans, their food, culture, art and music and whatever else you know about the country. South Korea mind you. The nutjob nation to the north is another thread altogether.

#47565 - 15 Mar 07 08:17 Re: Korea [Re: JHVH1]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
hmmm.. too much garlic..

#47566 - 15 Mar 07 08:19 Re: Korea [Re: JHVH1]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Being that this is an Indonesia-oriented site, I won't go too deeply. I've been to Korea a few times and it was really weird. Paul Theroux, world traveler and award-winning novelist, reckons they are THE most xenophobic people on the planet. He talks a great deal about the odd Korean characteristics in "The Great Railway Bazaar" and "Paddling the Pacific".

#47569 - 15 Mar 07 08:32 Re: Korea [Re: riccardo]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

He's not far wrong. Actually, with this being an Indonesian-oriented site, I was hoping to get some feedback on the Korean presence in Indonesia, which I have noticed has grown dramatically in the 15 years I have been visiting, and the impact of the so-called Korean wave, the popularity (albeit declining) of Korean music and drama in Asia.

#47571 - 15 Mar 07 08:33 Re: Korea [Re: riccardo]
bonita Offline
Member+++

Loc: at my desk
Kimchi's quite good: love the seaweed but don't give me that too much. Some of romantic soap opera are played here and teenagers loved them much, so I guess there are many creative and good film writers there.

#47573 - 15 Mar 07 08:39 Re: Korea [Re: bonita]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

Its funny seeing my MIL, her sister and their friends scurry in front of the telly around 4pm when Goong comes on. Their little claque in their quiet street in Bogor loves the bloody thing. Me, I just roll my eyes and go sit outside by the pond.

#47591 - 15 Mar 07 09:19 Re: Korea [Re: JHVH1]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

My long time buddy is there actually, playing music in Hyatt Hotel in Seoul.

What he told me so far is everything is way too much expensive and women are not easy! Lucky him, he's coming back to Jakarta in October!!! laugh

#47595 - 15 Mar 07 09:28 Re: Korea [Re: Orang Kanada]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

Is he French Canadian, youngish guy with a Korean GF (or had one last year?) If so, I might have met him a while ago.

#47596 - 15 Mar 07 09:31 Re: Korea [Re: JHVH1]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
anyone interested in my comparison between the economies/cultures of indonesia and south korea, check out http://www.okusi.net/garydean/works/IndEcDev.html and let me know what you think ...

#47598 - 15 Mar 07 09:39 Re: Korea [Re: JHVH1]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Quoting: JHVH1
Is he French Canadian, youngish guy with a Korean GF (or had one last year?) If so, I might have met him a while ago.

That's the bass player. My buddy is new in the band, play keyboards. If you see him call him GIB. I won't understand where you get that...

#47600 - 15 Mar 07 09:58 Re: Korea [Re: JHVH1]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
Hahaha thats funny, i just seen on tv about Korean foods. The big dog farm in the world is in Korea. And most them love eat dog meat. For me personal, i don't care about that. As long not kill people. Peace n Cheers!

#47604 - 15 Mar 07 10:25 Re: Korea [Re: dolphin]
Queenie Offline
Member++

Loc: Earth
they eat everything that moves... so watch out lol

#47605 - 15 Mar 07 10:32 Re: Korea [Re: KuKuKaChu]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

Kuku,

I agree with most of your analysis, but would like to raise the following points. Since I am an international relations major, most of what I have to say initially comes from a security POV. The latter comes from professional experience.

Firstly, two things kickstarted the Korean economic 'miracle'. Firstly the direction of belated war reparations received from Japan around 1965 that was initially earmarked to compensate victims of the occupation to state-approved development projects. This is largely how the chemicals, steel and ship-making industries were developed. Second, the massive investment by the United States, economically and militarily provided impetus for ongoing economic growth. In the instance of the latter, related manufacture and service industries served a vastly expanded and cashed-up military sector. In addition, the security guarantee extended to the ROK by the US strengthened the hand of the country externally and internally by allowing continuity of a strong government with concentrated power.

Education is an area in which Korea is now beginning to betray it's status as an OECD nation. Schooling in Korea relies on often centuries old theory in which rote learning and anything but Socratic method common place. Quantity is seen as a marker of quality and children are forced into cram schools and academies in which learning takes second place to memorization. Even the influx of foreign English teachers in the last ten years has done nothing to raise the English-speaking ability of the nation. Anecdotally, its not uncommon to meet a kid who has studied English for 10 years but giggles embarrassed when asked "how are you?".

This has led to a mass exodus of Koreans to study overseas. What quality human capital exists in this country has usually been fortunate enough to secure a degree from an American University. Increasingly, however, more and more of these people choose to stay abroad. And why wouldn't they? Business culture here is still premised on age and seldom awards merit.

The university sector here is similarly ageist and stagnate. Only two Korean institutes of higher learning, Korea University and KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ranked in the Times' HES top 200 universities. Academia is an old boys' club, with tenure largely denied to foreign teachers. Whilst lip service is paid to imitating foreign models, resistance from entrenched interests prevents this.

Two other factors combine to make the Korean Tertiary Education sector worthy of scorn. First, it is widely known that many degrees here are on paper only. Once the hard work of the university entrance exam is over, college is simply a place to experience a few years of freedom before once again slotting into the grind of the workforce. Again, from experience, it is not uncommon to meet seniors majoring in English who cannot hold their own in a simple social context. I teach many like this. Secondly, the compulsory two years of military service that commonly interrupts university study means a loss of much knowledge acquired in previous years. The only real areas of excellence are technical subjects that can be learned in formulaic fashion. It makes for a glut of engineers capable of the narrow demands of adapting current technology, but produces a surfeit of critical thinkers.

Most of the section on education is not entirely relevant to the theme of your paper. However, it does display that much of the Korean economic miracle was fashioned on sheer hard work rather than educational excellence. What it does bare out, however, is the fact that this remains a significant impediment to further economic development as innovation becomes more and more critical.

Better end my rant now, its getting late.

Edited by JHVH1 (15 Mar 07 10:44)

#47606 - 15 Mar 07 10:37 Re: Korea [Re: Queenie]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
LoL Gueenie help

#47607 - 15 Mar 07 10:53 Re: Korea [Re: dolphin]
Queenie Offline
Member++

Loc: Earth
Quoting: dolphin
LoL Gueenie help

you better hide lol

#47660 - 16 Mar 07 00:38 Re: Korea [Re: JHVH1]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
nice commentary JHVH1! do you mind if i add it as an adendum to my essay?

#47661 - 16 Mar 07 00:45 Re: Korea [Re: KuKuKaChu]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

I would be highly honoured if you did. Cheers

#47672 - 16 Mar 07 01:30 Re: Korea [Re: JHVH1]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
Quoting: JHVH1
He's not far wrong. Actually, with this being an Indonesian-oriented site, I was hoping to get some feedback on the Korean presence in Indonesia, which I have noticed has grown dramatically in the 15 years I have been visiting, and the impact of the so-called Korean wave, the popularity (albeit declining) of Korean music and drama in Asia.

I have wondered about the growing trend on my visits in the last 4 years or so. I think the reason may be because there's such a demand for anything "entertaining" on tv (couldn't stand the stories about Indo celebs-seemed every station had the same stories at every hour).

#47674 - 16 Mar 07 01:46 Re: Korea [Re: doremi]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

Korea is just the latest wave in productions to have hits across Asia. Five years ago it was the Taiwanese with Meteor Garden. The Chinese and especially Hong Kong have had a longer history of exporting culture as their industries have been well developed. India is also a huge exporter whose brand is well known. I've heard talk of the Korean wave now declining, for various reasons I won't delve into yet. I was just wondering if this development had reached Indonesia yet.

#47675 - 16 Mar 07 01:55 Re: Korea [Re: JHVH1]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
JHVH1, just to follow up on your comment on Korean education system. Sounds like you're describing the Indonesian Education system such as the rote memorization (though there is merit to memorizing the multiplication tables wink), the business culture, ageism, connection not merits plus racial discrimination added here.

#47685 - 16 Mar 07 03:22 Re: Korea [Re: doremi]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

When you say racial discrimination, do you mean by pribumi against non-pribumi?

#47691 - 16 Mar 07 05:00 Re: Korea [Re: JHVH1]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

JHVH1 & OK ... I have a mate who has just been told to go to Seoul on Monday to do a 6 month contract for one of the banks there. He knows bugger all about Korea and doesn't know anybody there. Any advice I can pass on to him about places to check or things to watch out for?? any info you can offer would be much appreciated.

#47692 - 16 Mar 07 05:08 Re: Korea [Re: chewwyUK]
jok Offline
Member**

Quoting: chewwyUK
JHVH1 & OK ... I have a mate who has just been told to go to Seoul on Monday to do a 6 month contract for one of the banks there. He knows bugger all about Korea and doesn't know anybody there. Any advice I can pass on to him about places to check or things to watch out for?? any info you can offer would be much appreciated.

Chewwy, do you need Korean languages in Bahasa translation for your mate? i can give it to you to pass on to your mate who is going to Seoul.

KAMUS BAHASA KOREA
SILAHKAN.... PELAJARI - SeMOGA BERMANFAAT..

Apa Kabar? = Anyong Aseo
Sampai Jumpa = Anyong

Kurang Ajar = Monyong
Tidak Lurus = Men Chong
Pria suka berdandan = Ben Chong
Tiba-tiba = She Khonyong Khonyong
Gak Punya Duit = Nao Dhong
Pengangguran = Nong Krong
Belanja = Bao Rhong
Merampok = Cho Long
Saringan Botol = Choo Rhong
Kendaraan Berkuda = An Dhong
Jual Mahal = Gheng Xi Dhong
Ngelamun = Bae Ngong
Mulut = Mon Chong
Sosis = Lap Chong
Suami dari adiknya Papa = Ku Chong
Kiss me = Soon Dhong Yang
Sweet memory = Choo Pang Dhon g
Mobil mogok = Dho Rong Dhong
Lapangan luas = Park King Lot
Pantat gatal-gatal = Che Bhok Dhong
Nasi dibungkus daun pisang: Lon Thong
Cowok Cakep Kaca Mata: Bae Yong Jun
Cowok Cakep Rambut Lurus: Jang Dong Gun
Cowok Cakep Rambut Keriting: Ahn Jung Hwan
Bagian belakang = Bho Khong
Masih muda = brondhong
Pantat gatal = Ga ruk dong
Telur asin = Ndok A Chin
Sendok Gede = Cen Thong
Celana Sobek = Bho Long
Kepala Botak = Kin Clong
Lagi Menyanyi = Me Lo Lhong
Orang Hitam = Goo Shong
Bibir Ucup = Mo Nyong
Berbulu = Ge Ran Dhong
Jongkok Di Pinggir Kali = Be ol Dong

#47694 - 16 Mar 07 05:17 Re: Korea [Re: jok]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
LOL grin where did you get all those stuff El?

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#47695 - 16 Mar 07 05:18 Re: Korea [Re: jok]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Thanks Ela I will pass it on ... although he is English and not Indonesian hehe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  NetCop