Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47203 - 10 Mar 07 16:52 Piracy update
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
Remember my thread on piracy? (the one that finally turns into a "let's go nuts and do some more dubbing") My conviction into a strong law with high fines or arestations has been a laughing matter. What I told then was: "all we need, is to make a precedent, to scare the hell out of the others". Of course, it's not about to happen in Indonesia, but...

RIAA tells students: Pay up for downloads

ATHENS, Ohio - The music industry is asking 50 Ohio University students to pay $3,000 each to avoid lawsuits accusing them of pirating songs off the Internet

The Recording Industry Association of America asked the university to pass along letters to the students with Internet addresses accused of being involved with the illegal sharing of copyrighted music. The university notified the students on Monday.

"The downloading has occurred and we can't change that, but we can let them know what their options are," OU spokeswoman Sally Linder said Wednesday.

Patrick McGee, a local attorney the university arranged to meet with students, said $3,000 is the standard offer though cases have settled for as much as $5,000. He has represented four Ohio University students in file-sharing lawsuits.

Jenni Engebretsen, spokeswoman for the trade group, based in Washington, D.C., would not disclose or confirm what the standard settlement offer is. She did say no cases have gone to trial yet across the country.

As part of its ongoing copyright crackdown, the association has already sued about 18,000 computer users nationwide since September 2003. The figure includes 1,062 computer users at 130 universities.

The association said last month that it intended to sue more students and others on campuses in the next three months than it has in the past three years and that it would send 400 letters a month to computer users suspected of copyright infringement.

Letters were sent to 13 universities last week, giving students 20 days to pay a settlement.

A letter to one Ohio University student told her that she distributed 787 audio files, putting her total minimum potential liability at more than $590,000. The minimum damages under the law is $750 for each copyright recording that had been shared, the letter said.

Many students cannot even afford the $3,000, McGee said.

"I think the record company is smart enough to know that a lot of students do not have the money," he said. "They can't actually take them up on the offer."

What was very educative about re-reading the piracy thread, is to see how Dr.Gonzo magically became Chuck U. Farlie...

#47204 - 10 Mar 07 17:05 Re: Piracy update [Re: Orang Kanada]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
So OK , just what are you trying to say ?

#47205 - 10 Mar 07 17:58 Re: Piracy update [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

That I wasn't a lunatic utopian living in fantasy land chasing little bunnies and singing to butterflies.

#47208 - 10 Mar 07 21:12 Re: Piracy update [Re: Orang Kanada]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
OK I agree with you on protecting intellectual property or prosecuting pirates. I think you may be the minority group here, the lone ranger.

Curious about your take on the Apple Inc. on limiting the number of devices you can copy its songs/software?

#47242 - 11 Mar 07 08:27 Re: Piracy update [Re: doremi]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Can you precise nwgirl? Ashamed to admit it, but I have no clue what you're talking about!

#47243 - 11 Mar 07 13:14 Re: Piracy update [Re: Orang Kanada]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
Quote:
What was very educative about re-reading the piracy thread, is to see how Dr.Gonzo magically became Chuck U. Farlie...

What the hell does that mean?
Magically became Chuck U. Farlie? There was nothing magical about it... I simply went to my profile and changed the name as I felt like changing it. I kept my avatar the same, so I wasn't trying to fool anyone.

At the end of the day, OK, you greedy musicians are going to fuck yourselves.
IF governments really started to crack down on piracy and IF heavy fines were handed out to a lot of people, then I think a lot of people just simply wouldn't buy at all - apparently that is what you want, since you stated that music is not a necessity. It's a consumer's world out there... piss off enough consumers and see what the demand for your product is.
The new musicians that are going to do the best, in my opinion, are the ones who openly share their music... who want as many people as possible to enjoy their songs which will increase the turn out to their live shows where they make their real money. Look at the big time musicians these days... they come to Toronto for a concert with a minimum ticket price of $59 (like Genesis recently announced), and they sell out in a matter of minutes! A bit better than a measly dollar that they get from a legit album sale, isn't it?

#47247 - 11 Mar 07 15:31 Re: Piracy update [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Well , it is no wonder that KKN still rules indo - have to listen to ring-pieces bleating about the wrong doings of Islam , and in the next breath , the very same bules encourage by example the continuation of the same culture - fucking laughable -

I think the question is not so much about piracy , but about who is a pikey and a cheap charlie .

#47248 - 11 Mar 07 18:10 Re: Piracy update [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Greedy? New musicians openly sharing music? Fuck U. Charlie, you obviously don't know what the hell you're talking about. Another loud mouth in the cyberspace yapping about the 0.1% knowledge he have about a complex situation in a complex industry.
Those new musicians are doing the wrong thing without knowing it. And they don't care either, they will do anything to become popular. They bash on the major labels but will suddenly be willing to litteraly suck your dick if you tell them you're A&R for Sony-BMG.
And people like you take advantage of that, download and laugh. The only greedy bastard I see in here is you.

#47252 - 11 Mar 07 19:33 Re: Piracy update [Re: Orang Kanada]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
Getting a bit angry Orang Kanada?

You're right that I don't know much about the music industry, and nor do I give a shit.

I do know that I have no need to buy another album - I don't want them, they just take up space.

If a band I like comes to town on tour, I'll gladly fork out some cash and see them live... and that's about all the money they are getting from me.

#47254 - 11 Mar 07 20:41 Re: Piracy update [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

I was a bit upset, but now I'm fine. smile

#47260 - 11 Mar 07 21:57 Re: Piracy update [Re: Orang Kanada]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar

#47283 - 12 Mar 07 04:57 Re: Piracy update [Re: Dilli]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Thanks for the link Dilli, I had a good laugh.

#47284 - 12 Mar 07 05:03 Re: Piracy update [Re: Orang Kanada]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Thought you might like it!

Moderator:  NetCop