Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47076 - 09 Mar 07 03:03 GOI/Kalla Lashes Out At Singapore
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
From Government of Indonesia

Kalla Lashes Out At Singapore

Vice President Jusuf Kalla has lashed out at Singapore for refusing to sign an extradition treaty with Indonesia, accusing the island state of trying to keep billions of dollars in allegedly corrupt money siphoned out of Indonesia by fleeing tycoons during the 1997-98 financial crisis.

"Singapore often says there's so much corruption in Indonesia. But when we want to work together on combating corruption, they don't want to," Kalla said in an interview with the Financial Times published on Wednesday (28/2/07).

Singapore has said that President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong agreed in 2005 that any extradition treaty could only be signed together with a defense co-operation agreement.

But Kalla dismissed that claim. "They're thinking on the business side. If this treaty is signed then the corrupt Indonesians won't want to live in Singapore any more. That's all it is. It strengthens Singapore's economy."

#47077 - 09 Mar 07 03:04 Re: GOI/Kalla Lashes Out At Singapore [Re: KuKuKaChu]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
kalla gets something right for once. fluke, of course.

#47120 - 09 Mar 07 09:19 Re: GOI/Kalla Lashes Out At Singapore [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
kalla gets something right for once. fluke, of course.

I think it's yet another case of him deep-throating his tiny feet again.

It's just a ridiculous sound bite to whip up jingoistic hatred toward Singapore and Chinese-Indonesian tycoons.

Look at it logically:

#1.. They can't, or WON'T, even prosecute the really big thieves right here under their noses - the Cendana clique comes to mind.

#2.. They will never get their hands on that money. If both governments agreed on some kind of extradition, all the money and the suspects would be gone overnight -- to another safe haven.

#3.. In the scenario proposed, the only way to extradite someone would be to have an in-absentia trial here first, then request extradition. But the Singapore courts would then have the jurisdiction to review every minute detail of the trial. If the Singaporeans find a single thing out of order, no extradition. And I can guarantee you that no Indonesian judge will allow a Singaporean to pore over all the trial details, again, no extradition.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop