Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46853 - 07 Mar 07 01:07 An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays..
kucinggemuk Offline
Member+

Loc: Jakarta
Jobs Opportunity from Government Netherlandsch Indies
This ad was original from the old Newspaper of 1889 , It was taken from Indonesian National Library

Announcement!!!

Inlanders!, Melayu people! You want work??? NEDERLANDSCH INDIE NEEDS YOU TO BE SERVANTS OR BODYGUARDS IN THE PLANTATIONS BELONGING TO THE GOVERNMENT OF NEDERLANDSCH INDIES

IF YOU MEET THE CONDITIONS AND CHALENGE AS FOLLOWS:
1. You must have strong hands and muscles
2. You must have a brave heart
3. You must have coarse face
4. You must be living in the territory of the Government of Netherlandsch Indies
5. You must not be close to rebels or robbers or they who have been eliminated (?) by political action.
6. You never been a servant of Netherlander or Ondernemer or land lord or European baron
7. You want to work hard and tidy

YOU INLANDERS MUST COME TO RAWA SENAYAN AND THERE
YOU MUST PAST THE TEST BY THE JUDGES
1. Running round the Senayan swamp 3 times
2. Scotch jumping more than 30 [sorry the spelling…]
4. Sit ups more than 30

You have to meet Meyvrouw Shanti, Meneer Tomo and Meneer Atmadja and later you will become bodyguards in Toba, Buleleng, Borneo, Tanamera, Batam, Soerabaja, Batavia and Riau.

The Government of Netherlandsch Indies will pay you :
1. 3 meals a day with white rice from Bangil
2. Midday break of 1 hour
3. Salary will be taxed by the Government 40% as guarantee money.

Please register if you want

Date: March 31, 1889
Don’t be late up to 6 A’ clock
Batavia 1889

On behalf of the Nederlandsch Indies Governor Generaal
H.M.S Van den Bergh S.J.J de Gooij

"I am the fat cat and steady in my 70 kilos weight, no doubt"

#46854 - 07 Mar 07 01:12 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: kucinggemuk]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
should this be in the employment forum??

anyway, sounds a tempting offer. if only i was not a rebel with a muka alus ...

#46855 - 07 Mar 07 01:16 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
bonita Offline
Member+++

Loc: at my desk
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
should this be in the employment forum??

anyway, sounds a tempting offer. if only i was not a rebel with a muka alus ...

1889,ku....how old are you? wink

muka alus? hati halus perhaps angel

#46871 - 07 Mar 07 03:14 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: bonita]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
Swamp monster would swallow one first before his employment...
60% taxed on one's hard earned wages, wow that's outrageous.

#46876 - 07 Mar 07 04:38 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kucinggemuk Offline
Member+

Yes actually Ku,.
I only considering that the ad is an old one,.and as I was told you before that,.it sounds so funny for us the people of nowdays and seems it's not serious ad,.but the fact in the era of 1800s,.it's reall and not really funny at all. I can say,.it's (excuse me) an entertainment for nowdays people,..

But actually if we would like to "shock" nowdays people,.I could post it in the "properly" place here in another post,.I will do,.if you dont mind Ku,.

The more funnier is when you understand old Indonesian language,.then you can read the original written,.I bet you will shake your belly over and over,...cos you willl almost never stop to laugh,.despite of course it's seem like sinical for 1800s people..

And for you Ku,.the muka alus,.hehehe,.maksudnya mukanya galak, dan tidak rapih,.

Sorry grams,..
I ,..I did'n mean..

#46877 - 07 Mar 07 04:42 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: kucinggemuk]
kucinggemuk Offline
Member+

Addition Ku :

Mmhh The Netherlandsche Gov,.didnt want to hire the muka alus but only the muka kasar,so,.you will be not hired, sorry Ku:)

#46882 - 07 Mar 07 05:18 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: kucinggemuk]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: kucinggemuk

The more funnier is when you understand old Indonesian language,.then you can read the original written,.I bet you will shake your belly over and over,...cos you willl almost never stop to laugh,.despite of course it's seem like sinical for 1800s people..

Interesting indeed. What was the "old Indonesian language" they used at that time, like Bahasa Malayu or Jawa or a mix of those with Dutch? I'm curious, maybe you can post a few lines of the original language...

Also it is interesting in a historical context too, because the Dutch always had trouble with these plantation labor gangs. They'd usually be led by a group of mafia-type 'preman' recruiters and could easily be organized into a small 'army'. So that's the reason for requirement #5. In fact, years later it was these plantation labor gangs and preman that eventually became the main backbone of the anti-Dutch Republican Army, which, of course, evolved into the TNI/ABRI after 1949.

#46884 - 07 Mar 07 05:27 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

Below is the orginal. yes, it's bahasa melayu.

Lowongan Kerja Dari Pemerintah Kolonial Belanda
Iklan ini asli kutipan dari koran bertahun 1889 diambil di perpustakaan nasional.

PENGOEMOEMAN !!!

DAG INLANDER,.....HAJOO URANG MELAJOE,...KOWE MAHU KERDJA??? GOVERNEMENT NEDERLANDSCH INDIE PERLU KOWE OENTOEK DJADI BOEDAK ATAOE TJENTENK DI PERKEBOENAN-PERKEBOENAN ONDERNEMING KEPOENJAAN GOVERNEMENT NEDERLANDSCH INDIE

DJIKA KOWE POENYA SJARAT DAN NJALI BERIKOET:
1. Kowe poenja tangan koeat dan beroerat
2. Kowe poenja njali gede
3. Kowe poenja moeka kasar
4. Kowe poenja tinggal di wilajah Nederlandsch Indie
5. Kowe boekan kerabat dekat pemberontak-pemberontak ataoepoen
maling ataoepoen mereka jang soedah diberantas liwat actie politioneel.
6. Kowe beloem djadi boedak nederlander ataoepoen ondernemer ataoe toean
tanah ataoe baron eropah.
7. Kowe maoe bekerdja radjin dan netjes.

KOWE INLANDER PERLOE DATANG KE RAWA SENAJAN DISANA
KOWE HAROES DIPILIH LIWAT DJOERI-DJOERI JANG BERTOEGAS :
1. Keliling rawa Senajan 3 kali
2. Angkat badan liwat 30 kali
3. Angkat peroet liwat 30 kali

Kowe mesti ketemoe Mevrouw Shanti, Meneer Tomo en Meneer Atmadjaja Kowe
nanti akan didjadikan tjentenk oentoek di Toba, Buleleng, Borneo, Tanamera, Batam, Soerabaja, Batavia en Riaoeeiland.

Governement Nederlandsch Indie memberi oepah :
1. Makan 3 kali perhari dengan beras poetih dari Bangil
2. Istirahat siang 1 uur.
3.Oepah dipotong padjak Governement 40 percent oentoek wang djago.

Haastig kalaoe kowe mahoe..

Pertanggal 31 Maart 1889
Niet Laat te Zijn Hoor..
Batavia 1889
Onder de naam van Nederlandsch Indie Governor Generaal
H.M.S Van den Bergh S.J.J de Gooij

#46885 - 07 Mar 07 05:32 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
bonita Offline
Member+++

Loc: at my desk
bahasa melayu?

but to me it sounded like bahasa jawa mixed with dutch language, or dutch language in bahasa jawa written-version.

#46886 - 07 Mar 07 05:35 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: bonita]
Pooh Bah

no, clearly melayu and a few dutch words, using the old-style spelling.

#46887 - 07 Mar 07 05:36 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
mixed with londo and jawa - in that pre August 17th 1972 Spelling still used by the mother in law .

#46910 - 07 Mar 07 15:04 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
AriesRabbit Offline
Member+

Loc: Jakarta for Now

You sure...coz i have been using bhs melayu (bhs malaysia) for a long long time... and that doesn't sounds like bhs melayu or bhs malaysia

correct me if i'm wrong.

#46921 - 07 Mar 07 23:29 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: AriesRabbit]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: AriesRabbit

You sure...coz i have been using bhs melayu (bhs malaysia) for a long long time... and that doesn't sounds like bhs melayu or bhs malaysia

correct me if i'm wrong.

ok. i'll correct you smile

bahasa indonesia is based upon bahasa melayu (the language of the melayu, not just the malays of the peninsula!), which has been a lingua franca in maritime southeast asia for centuries.

however, "bahasa indonesia" as a term was not really employed until the sumpah pemuda in 1928, if i am not mistaken. (even the term "indonesia" is a relatively late construction.)

the language used in the ad is without doubt melayu. what is probably throwing you is the spelling, which is "old" style dutch (eg, "oe" for "u", "y" for "j", "j" for "y", "dj" for "j", and so on). indonesian spelling was officially "reformed" in 1972 (as was bahasa malaysia).

also, there's a few dutch words. "kowe" ("you") i really don't know were that comes from.

#46924 - 07 Mar 07 23:47 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: kucinggemuk]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
perhaps, the job that you offering is match to me wink

muka-ku garang dan ganas lho wink

#46939 - 08 Mar 07 01:41 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: Jokie Jokie Girl]
kucinggemuk Offline
Member+

Ku,."kowe" = "you" is from Javanese lang.(lower degree in Javanese)

and as the upper,.is "sampean" or "panjenengan",.means "you".

as :"aku"= "me"..

#46968 - 08 Mar 07 05:24 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: AriesRabbit

correct me if i'm wrong.

ok. i'll correct you smile

bahasa indonesia is based upon bahasa melayu (the language of the melayu, not just the malays of the peninsula!), which has been a lingua franca in maritime southeast asia for centuries.

however, "bahasa indonesia" as a term was not really employed until the sumpah pemuda in 1928, if i am not mistaken. (even the term "indonesia" is a relatively late construction.)

the language used in the ad is without doubt melayu. what is probably throwing you is the spelling, which is "old" style dutch (eg, "oe" for "u", "y" for "j", "j" for "y", "dj" for "j", and so on). indonesian spelling was officially "reformed" in 1972 (as was bahasa malaysia).

also, there's a few dutch words. "kowe" ("you") i really don't know were that comes from.

Come now KuKu what with your book learning in Yogya - you can't tell me you never came across a bit of Javanese ?

#46975 - 08 Mar 07 06:47 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

Come now KuKu what with your book learning in Yogya - you can't tell me you never came across a bit of Javanese ?

smile fair comment. but there is in fact a reason. because i was so engrossed in learning indonesian when i first moved here, from very early on and for some many years, i deliberately adopted a language filter: if it wasn't indonesian, i ignored it. this was important in jogja especially, as the level of indonesian there is not of a high standard, with most people there preferring to use javanese.

unfortunately this hard-headed language filter seems to have persisted to this day smile

#46976 - 08 Mar 07 07:10 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think it is the snob in you coming to the surface -

You are probably right though - many years ago I translated a SCADA application to have English and Indonesian - onlyh problem was that it ended up having 50% javanese , neither I or the "translator" knew the difference .
When Kromo Inggil is spoken properly , it does sound nice though .

Have you ever seen a "Pak Arnaz" on the telly ? he is quite a famous "Pengobatan" in Malang , he isn't malay or sumateran India as many people assume , he was born and raised in Manchester , and while his wife is Javanese , won't/can't speak javanese .

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (08 Mar 07 07:12)

#46987 - 08 Mar 07 07:37 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pooh Bah

I think it is the snob in you coming to the surface -

perhaps. i've been properly conditioned against speaking bahasa daerah wink

truly, learning indonesian at universities here can be a real challenge when every djoko and yuni wants to speak english at you. so i had to be quite tough in letting people know that i was not their free guru les privat by simply refusing to speak any language except indonesian.

Quote:
You are probably right though - many years ago I translated a SCADA application to have English and Indonesian - onlyh problem was that it ended up having 50% javanese , neither I or the "translator" knew the difference .

exactly! and javanese -- especially those in jogja -- truly cannot differentiate between javanese and indonesian! i knew this, and wanted to avoid being side-tracked.

learning a language -- any language -- properly requires a lot of effort and determination. and other languages -- such as javanese -- can be distracting when you are still becoming fluent in indonesian.

i have certianly thought of trying to lift this "language filter" recently by learning some javanese, just for the fun of it. if i get some time i may yet still do it!

Quote:
When Kromo Inggil is spoken properly , it does sound nice though .

i certainly agree. i like the intonation and the confidence of the language. unlike, for example, thai, or the way malaysian malays speak melayu, which i find "weak" and "whining". but perhaps thats just my ears.

Quote:
Have you ever seen a "Pak Arnaz" on the telly ? he is quite a famous "Pengobatan" in Malang , he isn't malay or sumateran India as many people assume , he was born and raised in Manchester , and while his wife is Javanese , won't/can't speak javanese .

no, can't recall pak arnaz. is he a mystic of some sort?

#47002 - 08 Mar 07 08:37 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Dok Arnaz is guaranteed to solve any problems a lady may have - trouble getting pregnant ? no problem Arnaz will solve it - though there is no guarantee that the baby will look like your husband .
Actually , he is a nice man , stands his round and cooks a good ruby .

I understand your philosophy , but how do you reconcile living in jakarta with the truly awful betawanese/jakartanese spoken ?
Some of HID's mates are from Jakarta , and I point blankly refuse to indulge in their converstations - prefering to confound them by using my limited javanese .

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (08 Mar 07 08:40)

#47028 - 08 Mar 07 22:34 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pooh Bah

I understand your philosophy , but how do you reconcile living in jakarta with the truly awful betawanese/jakartanese spoken ?
Some of HID's mates are from Jakarta , and I point blankly refuse to indulge in their converstations - prefering to confound them by using my limited javanese .

now this is where a charge of snobbery could hold weight against me.

i find jakartanese detestable. i refuse to treat any cretin who uses it as an equal.

i used to think that this response was perhaps due to the formal way i learned indonesian, and maybe spending too long in Jogja. but i've changed my mind recently. i simply find the gue/lu set obnoxious. it's as if they revel in their uncultured stupidity, thinking they are somehow superior for it.

#47039 - 08 Mar 07 23:09 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

U.I. did a big survey a couple years ago, took a cross-section of the country with a sample of over 20,000 people and found that among young/old, rich/poor, Sabang to Merauke -- and ONLY 12% of people actually *passed* the official Bahasa Indonesia test. Less than 4% of the total had a sufficiently high score.

When my wife's friends (all mid-class, uni-educated, multi-lingual gals) visit us and the baby, I'm appalled at their language, and these are the ones that WOULD pass the official tests. It's a tripped-out mixture of Bhs Gaul, Betawi, Chinese and English, so I continually have to tell them to speak properly (which they all are very capable of) when they are around the baby.

I'm not snobbish about it, I just want the baby to learn properly. She'll get the slang from her peers in due time, but the educated adults around her need to set an example.

#47131 - 09 Mar 07 14:34 Re: An Old ad (Dated 31 March 1889),.no Fake,.it's true, compair with nowdays.. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

now this is where a charge of snobbery could hold weight against me.

i find jakartanese detestable. i refuse to treat any cretin who uses it as an equal.

i used to think that this response was perhaps due to the formal way i learned indonesian, and maybe spending too long in Jogja. but i've changed my mind recently. i simply find the gue/lu set obnoxious. it's as if they revel in their uncultured stupidity, thinking they are somehow superior for it.

Now then , Now then , deep breaths - but it is awful though , almost as bad , no , as bad as some of the awful english I hear , and worse , see written .
Shall I tell you what really gauls - is if you sit back and just let it waft over you , after a while the conversation suddenly stops , and all of a sudden a voice pipes up " Oh kasihan deh - si bule nggak isa ngerti boso Indonesia " , it is at this point that I have an almost irrepressible desire to commit murder with a bowl of cold bakso .

Moderator:  NetCop