Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46641 - 03 Mar 07 16:21 I Believe...
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
I believe…

I believe that everyone has the right to pursue whatever religion one chooses. When a country starts pushing one agenda, in this case one religion over the others, dangers loom.

The story ( reported by Eric Westerfelt, ‘Islamic Group’s Wrath Stoke Fears in Gaza’) about Islamic fundamentalist burning Internet cafes, bars (claiming these behaviors are morally corrupt) and killing prostitutes in Gaza, Israel seems to parallel what’s going in Indonesia and elsewhere. Making a living operating an Internet café is morally corrupt, this I do not believe.

What’s going in Indonesia matters to me, it matters because I and my family don’t want to live in ‘Taliban-liked’ regime. I believe most Indonesian people share the same believe I have. I don’t want any government to tell me what I can or can’t wear; what religion I should or shouldn’t practice.

With all the resources (natural and human) Indonesia have, the country can harness them to greater power provided that secularism is practiced, this I believe.

#46670 - 04 Mar 07 01:39 Re: I Believe... [Re: doremi]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
Despite what many people predict of a scary future of Indonesia. I have a strong believe that something good will happen to this country. Whilst others called me crazy leaving my good life abroad, I called myself an opportunist. I believe that Indo is a land of opportunity and will stay as such for quite some time. About the possibility of Islamic doctrine taking over I believe it will never happen. Too many shortcomings and drawbacks will be the results that many will oppose to the realization of it.But of course, everybody have their opinion and preferences. I just shared mine.:)

#46671 - 04 Mar 07 01:58 Re: I Believe... [Re: Shesca]
doremi Offline
Member+++

I would like to be an optimist in this case as well. Let's hope that what's going on is a temporary hiccup.

#46743 - 05 Mar 07 10:12 Re: I Believe... [Re: doremi]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
Indonesians are actually soft hearted, the people is not that into 'religion thing' as you can see majority moslems are not really wearing 'jilbab' i think what turns indo people to religion is the very low self esteem. When it comes to the time that indo people is more confident bout themselves and their country, that's the time indonesia will stand up and make change...

Edited by emmajkt (05 Mar 07 10:13)

#46751 - 05 Mar 07 22:08 Re: I Believe... [Re: doremi]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
I belive oneday to my Indonesia will get better, better n better angel love kiss yay

#46758 - 05 Mar 07 22:46 Re: I Believe... [Re: dolphin]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: dolphin
I belive oneday to my Indonesia will get better, better n better angel love kiss yay

perhaps. but it may no longer be called "indonesia". it'll be called java, bali, sumatra, aceh, maluku, flores, sulawesi (north, south, southeast, central), kalimantan and papua.

#46760 - 05 Mar 07 23:04 Re: I Believe... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
doremi Offline
Member+++

A federated states? Now that's an interesting thought.

#46762 - 06 Mar 07 00:05 Re: I Believe... [Re: doremi]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: nwgirl
A federated states? Now that's an interesting thought.

yes, the very same thought that could cause a visit from your friendly neighbourhood koter (territorial command).

#46765 - 06 Mar 07 00:39 Re: I Believe... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
Quoting: dolphin

perhaps. but it may no longer be called "indonesia". it'll be called java, bali, sumatra, aceh, maluku, flores, sulawesi (north, south, southeast, central), kalimantan and papua.

good thinking ku! i like that...means jakarta will no longer taking my bali's money? ...kewl!

#46814 - 06 Mar 07 08:15 Re: I Believe... [Re: juminten]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
Whatever kind like Indonesia in the future smile as long as all people happy hehehe...lol wink :P

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop