Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45866 - 23 Feb 07 05:40 ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists

Jakarta (Antara News) - Indonesia is to grant foreign visitors visas for up to 120 days compared to the current 30 days in a bid to boost tourism, Vice President Jusuf Kalla said Thursday.

"It is now being processed, that tourists get four months," Kalla told AFP during an interview here.

He said the longer visa was part of the government's drive to attract more foreign visitors.

At present, tourists from 54 countries can obtain a 30-day visa on arrival at a cost of 25 dollars, or free for most Southeast Asian nations.

Kalla said the 54 countries -- which include most of Europe, China, India, the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand -- accounted for about 90 percent of Indonesia's foreign tourists.

Visitors have complained that 30 days is far too short a time to take in the vast archipelago, which stretches for thousands of kilometres (miles).

Indonesia's drive to boost tourist numbers has also suffered due to a lack of money to promote the country abroad because of more pressing budget priorities.

"But I said that tourism is also a priority and therefore this year the budget will be increased on top of what is in the state budget," Kalla said, without giving figures.

Indonesia recorded a 2.38-percent drop in foreign tourist arrivals to 3.98 million in 2006.

Tourism has been hurt by a number of terrorist attacks in recent years, including on the popular resort island of Bali, as well as bird flu and a series of man-made and natural disasters. (*)

#45890 - 23 Feb 07 10:29 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Polisi Tidur Offline
Member+

Loc: Bikini Bottom
Any idea of the cost for the longer visa?

#45893 - 23 Feb 07 12:03 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: Polisi Tidur]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Polisi Tidur
Any idea of the cost for the longer visa?

as always in indonesia, don't believe anything until you see it. and even then, be sceptical ...

#46158 - 28 Feb 07 07:07 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
I wish you'll make a follow up on that Kuku. Get us inform if it comes from theory to reality.

#46159 - 28 Feb 07 07:14 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: Orang Kanada]
Pooh Bah

that's always the question. politicians can talk out of their arse all they want. ultimately, however, it's the bureaucracy that has to implement it, and immigration especially have shown themselves to be expert in obstructionism.

#46192 - 28 Feb 07 13:21 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Simon Offline

Loc: Bali
then maybe they can look at the "lets discourage Indonesians from traveling" fiskal departure tax tax too.

#46202 - 28 Feb 07 22:48 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: Simon]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Simon
then maybe they can look at the "lets discourage Indonesians from traveling" fiskal departure tax tax too.

there are actually some pretty good reasons -- from the viewpoint of the indonesian economy -- to retain the fiskal tax.

fiskal restrains richer indonesians -- especially the chinese -- from spending all their weekends in places like singapore and malaysia. of course, all that considerable recreational spending would be done outside the indonesian economy!

and singapore, too, has its own reasons for not wanting hoards of indonesians invading their (ever increasing) shores. you don't see singapore demanding an end to fiskal. they want it to stay.

#46222 - 01 Mar 07 01:33 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

What I'd really like to know is WHEN the HECK is this new law on citizenship and visas going to be properly implemented without all the funny biz? They've publicized the part about children getting dual citizenship and that seems to be going okay, but there were several other parts of that law in which info is very sketchy. It says that if a WNA guy lives/works here for over 5 years and is married to a WNI woman, then the foreign guy is supposed to get the 5-year work/residence visa just like WNA women have always got when they marry WNI men.

Yesterday, I inquired about it and was told it would "cost" over Rp 60 million!! But that's certainly not the standard fee that WNA women have to pay. What gives? They obviously already have the forms and documents, which have been in use for decades with foreign women, so WHAT KIND OF SKULDUGGERY IS GOING ON HERE? I think a concerted letter-writing campaign to all papers and key govt officials is in order here.

And question for KUKU, what is the actual name (in Bhs Indon) of that visa, so when we talk to these lazy, corrupt, asinine bureacrats we are on the same page.

#46225 - 01 Mar 07 01:48 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: riccardo
And question for KUKU, what is the actual name (in Bhs Indon) of that visa, so when we talk to these lazy, corrupt, asinine bureacrats we are on the same page.

the 60million is to obtain a KITAP i suspect. nothing to do with the visa alluded to in the new citizenship law.

as to the name of this illusory visa, you have to remember that once they give it a name they've more or less acknowledged its existence, and i can't see them doing that in a hurry.

oh, and there's no skulduggery involved here. just plain old-fashioned indonesian bureaucratic obstructionism. remember, they paid good money for their positions, and changing things upsets the balance of nature.

#46228 - 01 Mar 07 03:08 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I found this article from last year. It's truly friggin' nauseating! It's institutionalized, government-operated extortion -- and all the bureacrats' relatives exclaim "pintar banget". It's SOOOOOOO unnecessary and just plain WRONG, and everyone knows it, from the President down to the ojek drivers, but they keep the "system" in place because nobody is clued in enough to do anything about it. Do they realize how much more FDI would flow in if they fixed just this one system?? Ah, I guess they'd need an actual brain for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Money talks for smooth processing of work, stay permits
Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ridwan Max Sijabat, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Stop by Floor M of the Manpower and Transmigration Ministry on Jl. Gatot Subroto in South Jakarta to witness a finely honed bureaucratic process in full working order.

The unsuspecting would be surprised to find a crowded hall, resembling the bustle of a traditional market, with long lines of people at cubicles for the processing of expatriate work permits.

It's organized chaos operating according to its own discreet culture, governed by a tacitly understood process of transactions where money but few words are needed.

Most companies who employ expatriates choose to hire agents to navigate the complicated and potentially time-consuming ins and outs of the process.

On a recent afternoon, an agent, accompanied by his Italian client, went from desk to desk to secure five preliminary documents before an expatriate employment permit (IMTA) was furnished.

No additional bargaining was needed, because the agent knew the amount needed, including the extras presented for satisfactory service.

The approval for the expatriate employment plan (RPTKA) -- defining the role of the expatriate within the institution -- costs Rp 150,000 (about US$18), and the IMTA was issued after the officer in charge was presented with an envelope containing Rp 200,000.

It took two weeks, and a total of Rp 1.2 million for the various payments, to secure the two essential documents.

With little supervision and clear overstaffing in the department, many of the employees are available to offer additional help to facilitate the visa processing (the discovery of fake IMTA documents, with falsified receipts for the payment of funds for development, is being investigated by the ministry).

The securing of the work permit is one thing; an expatriate also needs permission to reside here.

The same Italian expatriate paid Rp 800,000 for a temporary stay permit at the South Jakarta immigration office, with the funds used to confirm the expatriate's arrival documentation, pay for the telex to inform the Indonesian Embassy in Rome of the issuance of his permit, to purchase the "blue book", which documents changes in the holder's immigration status, and also to apply for a temporary stay permit (KITAS).

It's possible to get the latter two documents within a few days, depending on the agent's clout and the "recreation" money paid to immigration officers. Expatriates are allowed to apply for a permanent stay permit (KITAP) after using a Kitas for an uninterrupted five-year period (formerly 10 years). A Kitap costs, with benefits including the right to hold a residence card, costs between Rp 50 million and Rp 100 million.

It took another three months, an additional Rp 3.5 million, for the Italian to secure the KITAS.

Bureaucratic procedures become even more complicated when expatriates extend their KITAS and IMTA, with recommendations needed from the local population office, the National Police Headquarters and the National Intelligence Agency.

"Rachel", an expatriate who has tried to process her own visa, says it has proven time-consuming and costly.

"They will tell you that you need this document, or another one, and to come back another day," she said. "I'm also pretty much at their mercy, because I don't want to and really can't pay extras, so they tell me to bring in presents for them instead."

Document.....Issuer.....Length of process.....Unofficial rate

1. Mandatory report...Population Office...2 days...Rp 200,000
2. RPTKA......Manpower Ministry...7 days...Rp 150,000
3. TA-01......Manpower Ministry...3 days...Rp 75,000
4. Telex......Immigration Office...7 days...Rp 300,000 + US$100
5. Arrival card...Immigration Office...1 day...Rp 100,000
6. Fingerprinting...Immigration Office...1 day...Rp 100,000
7. POA*.......Police Headquarters...1 day...Rp 50,000
8. Blue book...Immigration Office...3 days...Rp 200,000
9. KITAS......Immigration Office...3 days...Rp 200,000
10. Reentry permit...Immigration Office...1 day...Rp 100,000
11. DPKK*.....Manpower Ministry...1 day...US$1,200
12. IMTA......Immigration Office...3 weeks...Rp 150,000
13. SKPPS*....local population office...1 day...Rp 35,000
14. SKTT*.....Population Office...1 day...Rp 50,000
15. STM*......Police Station...1 day...Rp 25,000
15. SKLD*.....Police Headquarters...1 day...Rp 75,000

* POA: Monitoring of foreigners
* SKPPS: Recommendation for temporary resident
* SKTT: Recommendation for expatriate resident
* STM: Letter of registration with local police station
* SKLD: Letter of registration with National Police Headquarters

#46253 - 01 Mar 07 05:42 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
Quoting: Simon

there are actually some pretty good reasons -- from the viewpoint of the indonesian economy -- to retain the fiskal tax.

fiskal restrains richer indonesians -- especially the chinese -- from spending all their weekends in places like singapore and malaysia. of course, all that considerable recreational spending would be done outside the indonesian economy!

and singapore, too, has its own reasons for not wanting hoards of indonesians invading their (ever increasing) shores. you don't see singapore demanding an end to fiskal. they want it to stay.

No it doesn't , it prevents hoards of "middle class" Indonesians spending their weekends In singers and KL . Did you notice any reduction in travel during krismon ? those guys going to Singapore to borrow whatever foreign currency they could to buy Rupiah didn't care about fiskal .
Singapore knows exactly the style of Indonesian that it tolerates , and lets be frank here , it isn't becak driving tourists they want .

#46254 - 01 Mar 07 05:48 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo
What I'd really like to know is WHEN the HECK is this new law on citizenship and visas going to be properly implemented without all the funny biz? They've publicized the part about children getting dual citizenship and that seems to be going okay, but there were several other parts of that law in which info is very sketchy. It says that if a WNA guy lives/works here for over 5 years and is married to a WNI woman, then the foreign guy is supposed to get the 5-year work/residence visa just like WNA women have always got when they marry WNI men.

Yesterday, I inquired about it and was told it would "cost" over Rp 60 million!! But that's certainly not the standard fee that WNA women have to pay. What gives? They obviously already have the forms and documents, which have been in use for decades with foreign women, so WHAT KIND OF SKULDUGGERY IS GOING ON HERE? I think a concerted letter-writing campaign to all papers and key govt officials is in order here.

See Riccardo , I told you that chinese-indonesians weren't discriminated against - we are all treated equally like shit .
I bothered my arse writing to old Marty , the DuBes in London after one of his imbecile muppets fell over laughing and said "maybe one year misterrrr" - do you suppose I will get a reply .
Yeh , it stinks having to pay under the table for documents , but unfortunately in this case , they won't let me .

#46596 - 03 Mar 07 07:11 Re: ANT/Indonesia to issue longer visas to draw more tourists [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Simon Offline

Loc: Bali
Exactly.

For the top echelon the Fiskal is no problem. I was talking to a lawyer in the weekend who said that there is about to be a legal challenge on the grounds that it breaches two UN conventions, and to the best of his knowledge no other nation does it.

On another note, a friend of mine decided to get a passport a couple of weeks back and was asked to go in for an interview to explain exactly why he wanted one and where he was going. I guess Suharto's shadow is still evident...

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop