Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45562 - 20 Feb 07 02:23 BORING POST!....skip it on!
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
just woke up from a nap, turned my tv on! "60 minutes" is showing children/babies with an autism the way they behave comparing with normal ones....and i think you'd like see the video!! . it's very interesting and i thought is very important posting this on here for you moms and dads or future moms and dads!!

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/autism/detail_autism.htm#80823082

#45563 - 20 Feb 07 02:28 Re: BORING POST!....skip it on! [Re: juminten]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
why the interest in autism? do you know anyone with autism??

#45564 - 20 Feb 07 02:31 Re: BORING POST!....skip it on! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
i have seen a few things on autism ... some abilities born out of autism can be truly amazing

#45565 - 20 Feb 07 02:35 Re: BORING POST!....skip it on! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
i wasn't, until i saw those cute children on tv with autism (poor children! frown ). i'm not planning to have baby soon..well unless some kinda accident! but i think we need to know about this dangereous disease!

#45580 - 20 Feb 07 04:14 Re: BORING POST!....skip it on! [Re: juminten]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
Had a student one time with Asperger's, a kind of autism. She was rather smart gal, writes well but socially she was really behind. She would got up suddenly and left the class and left her team-members confused, wondering why?

People with autism have a wide ranges of challenges, but they do have one or two superior abilities.I don't think anyone can prepare for this to happen or not (freak of nature, I think).

#45900 - 23 Feb 07 21:49 Re: BORING POST!....skip it on! [Re: doremi]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
Quoting: nwgirl

I don't think anyone can prepare for this to happen or not (freak of nature, I think).

True, but its still best for us to prevent the worst case scenario by living as healthy as possible (this includes healthy diet and life style) when we are pregnant.

#45905 - 23 Feb 07 23:23 Re: BORING POST!....skip it on! [Re: Shesca]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
Quoting: Shesca
Quoting: nwgirl

I don't think anyone can prepare for this to happen or not (freak of nature, I think).

True, but its still best for us to prevent the worst case scenario by living as healthy as possible (this includes healthy diet and life style) when we are pregnant.

There is a guy from Britain who is autistic, has a knack of remembering numbers; he can recite what day will your birthday will be in year 2010. He can recite the sequence of numbers of ‘pi-Π’ (the numbers go forever- infinity), he did this demonstration in front of researchers for 5 hours without making a single mistake.

The interesting part about his autism is that he wasn’t born with it; when he was young he had epileptic episode, believed to have caused/ changed his brain wiring system.
Interesting thing to note also that he lives quite a normal life, he looks like average Joe. The movie “Rain Man” gave me a distorted view of autism-there a many types of autism.

#46042 - 26 Feb 07 07:56 Re: BORING POST!....skip it on! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
why the interest in autism? do you know anyone with autism??

There are more people with mild undiagnosed autism than you might think .

Moderator:  NetCop