Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45340 - 16 Feb 07 02:44 relocating the capital ???
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Just read a very small bit in JP that mentioned talk of relocating the capital of Indonesia to somewhere else. Can the more informed people of JC let me know if they are really talking about this??

It sounds crazy but you never know. If it's true then may i suggest moving the capital to the island of barbados? Now that would make things better !

#45342 - 16 Feb 07 02:52 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Oh and as a nice quote from the article .....

" Suradi, 46, is a taxi driver. He lives in North Petukangan, South Jakarta:

The government should think about my hometown in Kebumen, Central Java, if it's serious about relocating the capital."

nuff said!

#45343 - 16 Feb 07 02:53 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
It has been mooted several times in Indonesian history, and in fact Sukarno, probably during one of his more lucid moments (sarcasm), suggested Central Kalimantan.

Jakarta has not always been the capital either you have to remember. Jogya and Bukit fucking tingi in Sumatra of all places have been capitals.

Bogor is the current fave, probably because it is above the waterline. Invest in Bogor property now, I say. And brothels.

#45348 - 16 Feb 07 03:11 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: Piss Salon]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

wouldnt it make more sense to keep jakarta as the capital but start to build satalite cities around it? Spread the population over a much bigger area?

#45349 - 16 Feb 07 03:12 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
They already have them in Tangerang and Bekasi!

#45351 - 16 Feb 07 03:15 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: chewwyUK]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

i was thinking a little further out .. offer tax incentives and low cost housing to encourage companies to move there and the people with them

Oh well -- its not like i am going to come up with a workable solution .. i am just an idiot

#45353 - 16 Feb 07 03:23 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Chewwy, I posted this article on GRSB 5 days ago, and like PS says, the consensus at the moment is somewhere near Bogor/puncak above the rivers. From what I gather, there are several politicians and officials who want to do something similar to Malaysia (Putrajaya-KL) or Ivory Coast (Yamoussoukro-Abidjan) -- essentially retain Jakarta as the commercial capital and create a brand new administrative capital by carving some jungle and building lots of grand Arab-esque government buildings. Politicians just love new construction projects (lots of cream to skim) and they always want to keep up with their Malay neighbors:

Here's the article from SMH
Keith Loveard, a consultant with the security firm Concord, believes Jakarta's future as Indonesia's administrative and business centre is in doubt. Aside from the ever present risk of floods, the city is exhausting its supply of ground water - resulting in subsidence leaving 40 per cent of Jakarta below sea level.

Yesterday the National Awakening Party, the third-largest in parliament, said the flood showed Jakarta needed to be relocated. "Jakarta is now too chaotic, and its ability to support both the centre of the country's government and the centre of the country's economy is declining," the parliamentary leader, Muhaimin Iskandar, said.

The full story:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/jakarta...0524304080.html

#45354 - 16 Feb 07 03:36 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

San Francisco is a good case in point here. SF is a tiny little peninsula. At one time it was the commercial and admin. capital of California (and the entire western US in 19th C) but it quickly outgrew its own geography, so the admin. capital was moved 100 miles east to Sacramento and all manufacturing and 'non-essential' commercial activities were moved to satellite cities, such as Oakland, Berkeley, San Jose, Palo Alto (and the rest of what's known as the Silicon Valley). SF now has a stable population of 900,000 people on that tiny peninsula and it's still the center of all finance in the Western USA, the Pacific Stock Exchange and the SF Federal Reserve Bank for instance.

So here, they'd still have to do a Flood Control project, keep JakPus dry and orderly with all the big financial HQs remaining and a smaller population of say less than 3~4 million, and send/encourage all manufacturing to go to the satellite cities with the admin. capital up in the jungle somewhere.

Alas, all of this would require management skills, leadership skills and the ability to make proper plans and cooperate with a whole range of people and institutions, suffice it to say, nothing will change over the next 20 years, if ever.

#45363 - 16 Feb 07 06:30 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: riccardo]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
The ones I read were suggesting Kertajati in Majalengka and also Subang, http://www.indonesiamatters.com/1083/capital-city/. I never heard of either place. Big old pipe dream sounds like.

#45369 - 16 Feb 07 08:11 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: Patung]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I suggest, rather drunkenly, that we relocate the whole sorry mess to that place that them American fellas do their nuclear testing. [hic]

Except for my fiancÚ [hic], sorry, my finances.

#45371 - 16 Feb 07 08:15 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: Patung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Subang is a nice hill resort outside Bandung, famous for tea plantations.

Never heard of the other place.

It does sound like a pipe dream. I'm sure some of these Muslim politicians have been to Putrajaya and fell in love with all the grand Arab-esque architecture and clean, wide roads, and started not only thinking, hey we gotta keep up with Joneses and KKCCCH$$$NG, lots of money to be spent and skimmed....

#45379 - 16 Feb 07 08:54 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
Subang is a nice hill resort outside Bandung, famous for tea plantations.

What a poof. Who talks like that then?

#45380 - 16 Feb 07 09:00 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Jewish LadyBoys?

#45486 - 18 Feb 07 06:54 Re: relocating the capital ??? [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Catholic coco shunters?

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop