Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44208 - 09 Feb 07 09:38 Bush slams Indonesia
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
WASHINGTON (AP): President George W. Bush has offered condolences to the Indonesian people Wednesday as they recovered from deadly floods that hit much of Jakarta.

Bush, in a press statement released by the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta, said though he acknowledged criticisms of the current U.S. administration, he was shocked at the ongoing stupidity of the current Indonesian leaders, particularly Jakarta Governor Sutiyoso.

Bush, announcing that the U.S. Agency for International Development would provide US$100,000 (euro77,000) to support emergency flood relief efforts in Jakarta, said it was difficult to 'fathom' how a country as theoretically well-off as Indonesia kept sticking its hand out for disaster relief when the country itself did nothing to mitigate against the ongoing spate of disasters, particularly when most were avoidable.

“You know, I just don't get these Indonesians. Are they stupid? Why is this fella Sweaty Bozo [Sutiyoso] not been building that thing,” Bush asked or stated.

In background provided by the US Embassy, an official said Indonesia's ability to deal with the flooding that regularly plagues the capital city dated back to mechanisms dating from colonial times under the Dutch and Japanese.

“I thought these 'nesians were nationalistic kinds of persons. Doesn't seem to me that they are too proud of their country. They certainly don't seem to care about their people, letting 'em all drown.”

In language some would consider undiplomatic but close aids defended as simply Texas hospitality, Bush focused his criticism against Sutiyoso.

The Embassy spelled out the finer points of his criticism.

Jakarta's west flood canal was built, with some foresight, by the Dutch in 1930 and though plans for the east flood canal were completed in 1973 it has still not been built, with deadly and costly consequences. During 2002's disaster more than 50 people died, hundreds of thousands forced from their homes and damage was estimated at US$1.1 billion and 2007's encore is expected to cause similar tolls.

Sutiyoso offered to resign in 2002, but then immediately reversed his decision, saying he would leave in accordance with procedures.

Sutiyoso, appointed governor by former dictator Soeharto, has in the past blamed the flooding on the poor squatting on the riverbanks and illegal villas being built in Puncak, near Bogor, in the capital's major water catchment area.

Embarrassingly for the governor, it emerged in 2002 that he owned a villa in Puncak, which he then promptly demolished. However, it again emerged that the villa he tore down wasn't his main residence and that he owned an even more impressive home on a 25-hectare plot in Ciampea.

“I wouldn't give a fuck about Muslims normally,” Bush continued. “But these 'nesians possess an awful lot of natural resources like oil, gas and gold and we need a functioning airport in Jakarta as an entry point.”

#44236 - 09 Feb 07 11:55 Re: Bush slams Indonesia [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
JAKARTA (Antara): The Canadian government through the Canadian International Development Agency, will provide C$50,000 (Rp 382 million) to assist the population of the Greater Jakarta area affected by the current floods, Ambassador S. Toner said.

Accepting the cheque, Jakarta Governor Sutiyoso said he thanked the people of Canada for their decency shown toward the people of Indonesia, himself included.

Though Jakarta bore the brunt of the disaster, areas outside the capital also were subjected to heavy damage and should not be overlooked by aid efforts, Sutiyoso told S. Toner.

“That is why this money will be used by the people of Bogor as part of their rehabilitate efforts to overcome the landslides that claimed many lives and caused damage to many houses, particularly in Ciampea, particularly my weekend getaways retreat, funded only by my meagre income as a government official,” Sutiyoso said.

S. Toner then asked where the sweet cakes that he loved so much were, an official was quoted in a statement made available Thursday.

Edited by Piss Salon (09 Feb 07 16:17)

#44259 - 09 Feb 07 16:29 Re: Bush slams Indonesia [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Quoting: Piss Salon
WASHINGTON (AP): President George W. Bush ... was shocked at the ongoing stupidity of the current Indonesian leaders, particularly Jakarta Governor Sutiyoso.

Bush... said it was difficult to 'fathom' how a country as theoretically well-off as Indonesia kept sticking its hand out for disaster relief when the country itself did nothing to mitigate against the ongoing spate of disasters, particularly when most were avoidable.

“You know, I just don't get these Indonesians. Are they stupid? Why is this fella Sweaty Bozo [Sutiyoso] not been building that thing,” Bush asked or stated.

I knew there was a reason all the good Jakchatters voted for the Bushmeister, Herr Dubya.

#44260 - 09 Feb 07 18:35 Re: Bush slams Indonesia [Re: riccardo]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

hehehe... this is so Canadian... giving little money without asking questions just to be able to say: we help those in needs.

#44292 - 09 Feb 07 23:38 Re: Bush slams Indonesia [Re: Orang Kanada]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

and thats why we love you piss .... a great start to my morning hehehe

#44295 - 09 Feb 07 23:52 Re: Bush slams Indonesia [Re: Piss Salon]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
WASHINGTON (AP): President George W. Bush has offered condolences to the Indonesian people Wednesday as they recovered from deadly floods that hit much of Jakarta.

Bush, in a press statement released by the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta, said though he acknowledged criticisms of the current U.S. administration, he was shocked at the ongoing stupidity of the current Indonesian leaders, particularly Jakarta Governor Sutiyoso.

Bush, announcing that the U.S. Agency for International Development would provide US$100,000 (euro77,000) to support emergency flood relief efforts in Jakarta, said it was difficult to 'fathom' how a country as theoretically well-off as Indonesia kept sticking its hand out for disaster relief when the country itself did nothing to mitigate against the ongoing spate of disasters, particularly when most were avoidable.

In background provided by the US Embassy, an official said Indonesia's ability to deal with the flooding that regularly plagues the capital city dated back to mechanisms dating from colonial times under the Dutch and Japanese.

“I thought these 'nesians were nationalistic kinds of persons. Doesn't seem to me that they are too proud of their country. They certainly don't seem to care about their people, letting 'em all drown.”

In language some would consider undiplomatic but close aids defended as simply Texas hospitality, Bush focused his criticism against Sutiyoso.

Jakarta's west flood canal was built, with some foresight, by the Dutch in 1930 and though plans for the east flood canal were completed in 1973 it has still not been built, with deadly and costly consequences. During 2002's disaster more than 50 people died, hundreds of thousands forced from their homes and damage was estimated at US$1.1 billion and 2007's encore is expected to cause similar tolls.

Sutiyoso offered to resign in 2002, but then immediately reversed his decision, saying he would leave in accordance with procedures.

Sutiyoso, appointed governor by former dictator Soeharto, has in the past blamed the flooding on the poor squatting on the riverbanks and illegal villas being built in Puncak, near Bogor, in the capital's major water catchment area.

Embarrassingly for the governor, it emerged in 2002 that he owned a villa in Puncak, which he then promptly demolished. However, it again emerged that the villa he tore down wasn't his main residence and that he owned an even more impressive home on a 25-hectare plot in Ciampea.

“I wouldn't give a fuck about Muslims normally,” Bush continued. “But these 'nesians possess an awful lot of natural resources like oil, gas and gold and we need a functioning airport in Jakarta as an entry point.”

Excellent piece Piss. Love it, especially this line" wouldn't give a fuck about Muslims normally,” Bush continued. “But these 'nesians possess an awful lot of natural resources like oil, gas and gold and we need a functioning airport in Jakarta as an entry point.”

#44296 - 09 Feb 07 23:52 Re: Bush slams Indonesia [Re: Piss Salon]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch

Excellent piece Piss. Love it, especially this line" wouldn't give a fuck about Muslims normally,” Bush continued. “But these 'nesians possess an awful lot of natural resources like oil, gas and gold and we need a functioning airport in Jakarta as an entry point.”

#44302 - 10 Feb 07 01:34 Re: Bush slams Indonesia [Re: Piss Salon]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Loc: The Big Durian
JAKARTA (Antara): The Canadian government through the Canadian International Development Agency, will provide C$50,000 (Rp 382 million) to assist the population of the Greater Jakarta area affected by the current floods, Ambassador S. Toner said.

Accepting the cheque, Jakarta Governor Sutiyoso said he thanked the people of Canada for their decency shown toward the people of Indonesia, himself included.

Though Jakarta bore the brunt of the disaster, areas outside the capital also were subjected to heavy damage and should not be overlooked by aid efforts, Sutiyoso told S. Toner.

“That is why this money will be used by the people of Bogor as part of their rehabilitate efforts to overcome the landslides that claimed many lives and caused damage to many houses, particularly in Ciampea, particularly my weekend getaways retreat, funded only by my meagre income as a government official,” Sutiyoso said.

S. Toner then asked where the sweet cakes that he loved so much were, an official was quoted in a statement made available Thursday.

Well done, Piss! You made my day. You should be made an honorary Canuck; you'd fit in nicely.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop