Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44207 - 09 Feb 07 09:37 indonesian insurance
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
[Gurumeister] Is it any use to get thrid party insurance?

[KuKuKaChu] bwahahahaaahahaha!
[KuKuKaChu] sorry.
[KuKuKaChu] not really. if you have an accident, then you will be at fault no matter what.

[Capt. Mainwaring] give him a break KUKU
[Capt. Mainwaring] he doesn't know about Indo insurance yet

[KuKuKaChu] and insurance will find some way not to pay out
[KuKuKaChu] capt, yeah, it's sad
[KuKuKaChu] but then, i wouldn;t like to be an indonesian insurer

[Capt. Mainwaring] guru , insurance is (generally ) based on age of the vehicle and value
[Capt. Mainwaring] for low value stuff , it probably ain't worth it
[Capt. Mainwaring] I have used Jiwas Raya before , they seemed OK , but then I didn't claim

[KuKuKaChu] it's really difficult to get contents issurance; no-one wants to know.

[Capt. Mainwaring] Truth is , many UK companies also have a bad repuation on what they will or won't pay out

[KuKuKaChu] i've often used ramayana for performance bonds; but yeah, never actually tested the claim part

[Capt. Mainwaring] I rented out my house to (insert well known company here) and they insisted on all risks - Jiwas Raya did it , and it wasn't expensive
[Capt. Mainwaring] but then again , who knows if they will pay up ?
[Capt. Mainwaring] to be fair - Jiwas Raya actualled included the kids in the injuries section of the policy

[Gurumeister] Third party Insurance = the insurance company pays for damages to another car but not your own... Is is worth is.. I.e. lots of BMW's in Jakarta etc.etc

[Capt. Mainwaring] firstly , you are assuming it will pay out in the first place , second , will you care if you are the thickness of a beer mat ?
[Capt. Mainwaring] as explained - whatever happens , it will be your fault , even if a car drives through your garage wall and flattens the bike , it will be your fault .

[Balibob] I've had three claims in 5 years Guru and insurance paid out all times
[Balibob] once when i hit somebody elses car and they fix both and 2twice i got hit and the other car took off
[Balibob] so it's not all bad the capt is speaking shit again

[Capt. Mainwaring] you had all risks bob - he is talking about 3rd party - which is a waste of time
[Capt. Mainwaring] there is also the issue of him having his favorite leg hanging off

[Balibob] yup thats true but the point is that insurance companies here do pay and they don't fight about it
[Balibob] you putting the guy off buying insurance all to gether

[Capt. Mainwaring] no , on the contrary , get the best he can with a good company

[Balibob] well if he is silly enuff to ride a bike here he better get life insurance not 3rd party

[Capt. Mainwaring] don't piss about with tpft - if you can't afford all risks with personal injury , then stay off the road

[Balibob] infact I qwould very much douby if they had such a thing as 3rd party here?? maybe they have

[Capt. Mainwaring] i would agree - why anyone wants to dice with death on something with the pwoer of a pifco hairdryer , I don't know

[Balibob] but i have found the insurance companies here better than in the UK ,.. that's for sure

[Capt. Mainwaring] I seem to recall that there is -

[Capt. Mainwaring] I paid 2.5% of declared value for my car , and the bike cost about 250K for all risks

[Balibob] I really can't see any Indo's being that generous to their fellow countryman by gettingn 3rd party insurance

[Capt. Mainwaring] bob , it is a lucky dip anywhere

[Balibob] i forget what I pay % wise for my cars but it isn't much especially if it is a local car

[Capt. Mainwaring] if you take out hotman paris's porsche , i expect that they will try to recover something

[Balibob] but import is almost double because of spare parts etc

[Capt. Mainwaring] 1.5/2.5/3.5% dependent on the cars age

[Balibob] I have a renualt 20 sports here and that only costs 3juta
[Balibob] and the RR in bali is 7 juta

[Gurumeister] Thanks for the info guys... and about being stupid enough to ride in Jakarta.. If you are relying on other people on the road to drive safe when your on two wheels... your not thinking straight FULL STOP:P

[Capt. Mainwaring] just checked , Jiwas raya did offer it -
[Capt. Mainwaring] lets have a guess , was the declared value around 120J?

[Balibob] for what the peugot?
[Balibob] 180
[Balibob] i have had 2 claims on it and the premium has come down each year also

[Capt. Mainwaring] Indo NCB obviously works in reverse
[Capt. Mainwaring] also the cost goes up as it gets older

[Balibob] seems like it,.. they called it loyalty bonus hahaha

[Capt. Mainwaring] seems you are paying around 1.5% , must be quite a new car then

[Balibob] 2 years old past Nov

[Capt. Mainwaring] mine is a bit older , so I pay 2.5%
[Capt. Mainwaring] and I get AA recovery thrown in ......

[Gurumeister] wow bali bob... may I ask: Why a new pegeout?

[Capt. Mainwaring] kalau tersedia pak .....

[Balibob] ok the rangie is 8 years old hence the 7 juta i guess
[Balibob] and it went up when i shipped it to bali
[Balibob] fuck knows why

[Capt. Mainwaring] what is that valued at 200J?

[Balibob] I told them 320

[Capt. Mainwaring] not too bad then still only 2%
[Capt. Mainwaring] or perhaps they know that the transfer box will drop out of it if anyone tries to nick it

[Balibob] is okay I guess will see if it comes down next month when premium due
[Balibob] never had a problem with it in 4 years
[Balibob] except for the AC
[Balibob] ly got 46 k on the clock
[Balibob] Peugot only got 8k on it

[TeDdYBeAr] huaa,, feel so bore .. better watch DVD smile

[KuKuKaChu] ted, what? you mean you don't find the subject of 3rd party insurance fascinating?!

[TeDdYBeAr] kuku, not really, most of indonesian insurance already known full with bullshit frown

[KuKuKaChu] ted, not only in indonesia, but perhaps especially in indonesia smile

[TeDdYBeAr] My family used Garda Otto, and my last claimed, no problem at all
[TeDdYBeAr] They right away take the car to bengkel and fixed it, but for full 1 months frown

[KuKuKaChu] ted, well, i guess they ain't all bad smile

[TeDdYBeAr] My life insurance with Astra CMG Life, they didn't much giving trouble also smile about 1 year ago, i was admitted to hospital and they pay me without asking too much questions smile
[TeDdYBeAr] Kuku, not at all bad, but I guess even with the same insurance, different branch, they will act different frown
[TeDdYBeAr] Sinar Mas, people said its not good, but my neighbour insurance is Sinar Mas, they said, Sinar mas also ok even when the claims come smile

#44213 - 09 Feb 07 09:53 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

Small print leaves some claimants high and dry

Andi Haswidi, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Policyholders whose homes, cars and other property were damaged by the floods over the past days may find themselves being turned away by their insurance companies, even if they have all-risk insurance.

"All-risk does not mean that all of the risks are actually covered," the chairman of the Indonesian General Insurance Association (AAUI), Frans Y. Sahusilawane, told reporters Wednesday in Jakarta amid growing complaints from policyholders that their claims under all-risk policies had been rejected.

The term "all-risk", which is used by many insurance firms, often causes confusion among customers, especially given that many of them fail to read the small print in their policies, Frans said.

"The standard insurance policy for property and vehicles does not cover flood risks, even if it is called 'all risk'. Insurance cover for flood damage is provided as an extension to the standard policy, based upon the payment of an additional premium, of course," he explained.

He said that apart from standard and all-risk policies, insurance firms also offered insurance packages specifically tailored to satisfy individual policyholders' needs.

"Whether there is actually a clause that covers flood risks will depend on the agreement," he said.

"We, the association, do not use the term "all-risk". We instead use the term "comprehensive". However, we cannot forbid our members from using the term in the absence of a regulation to that effect," Frans said, while acknowledging that the term "all risk" could lead to confusion.

Frans urged policyholders affected by the floods to submit their claims within the set deadlines so as to avoid difficulties, although he added that in the case of a disaster, such as the Jakarta floods, insurers would be expected to show leniency.

He said the time required for settling claims varied, and depended greatly on cooperation on the part of the customer. A simple house-insurance claim, backed by complete policy records, could take between one and two months to settle, while a more complex one, such as a claim for damage to a factory, could take between four and six months.

Frans stressed that the country's insurance firms were committed to settling all claims resulting from the floods, with the total amount of claims expected to top the US$200 million paid out following a similar flood disaster in 2002.

"There is no definite estimate yet for this year's losses. Just to give an example, in 2002 we had to pay out about US$200 million, consisting of 1,145 claims for damage to homes, 1,804 for motor vehicles, 547 for commercial buildings and 780 for factories," he said.

"We can confidently state that all general insurance firms will suffer underwriting losses due to the floods," he said, adding, however, that he was optimistic that no firm would go bankrupt as part of all insurance cover was reinsured with local and overseas reinsurance firms.

"Even if this year's total loss doubles from $200 million, it wouldn't be a significant blow to the international reinsurance firms. For them, it would be like a tiny peanut divided into seven slices. One of the slices would be made up of the claims arising from the flood," he explained.

Frans said that international reinsurance firms were more concerned about such disasters as the tsunami in Aceh and earthquakes, which had increased Indonesia's country-risk level.

"Other than that, they are also concerned about Indonesia's instability from a political point of view," he said.

Frans added that the insurance industry could do more to help people after disasters if insurance penetration was higher.

Indonesia's general insurance penetration level compared to the country GDP was about 0.65 percent last year, far lower than China's 4 percent and Europe's 11 percent.

#44217 - 09 Feb 07 10:01 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Not only Indonesian insurance companies, I just got stiffed by an Australian one. They are all bastards.

The best insurance policy you can obtain in Indonesia is a condom.

#44242 - 09 Feb 07 12:49 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
I can just imagine some of the claim forms:-

"I was just serving the bakso , when a stray spark from my 4 year old son's Dji Sam Soe set fire to the formaldehyde , the bowl caught fire , which in turn set fire to my motor bike which was in the kitchen sink"

"my husband was asleep on the sofa , working hard , when he twitched a bit , knocked over the candle which ignited the mansion house vodka , which then set fire to mount merapi"

"I was digging in the garden to build a new chicken shed when I struck this mud well , flooding sidoarjo"

#44243 - 09 Feb 07 13:04 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
My experience with insurance in indo...

Went through ACA to get insurance on my bike. All they offered was theft insurance on a motorcycle, and it seemed like a pretty good deal at the time.
Low and behold, my bike got stolen. After 3 months of jumping through hoops, going from this police station to the next, making reports, giving police money, etc, etc, my insurance claim still never came through, and even if it had, it would have been pennies.... 2 or 3j max after all the bribes etc were paid.
Like was said be someone already, they will find a reason not to pay you.

#44245 - 09 Feb 07 13:35 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Someone from their office probably pinched it .

#44247 - 09 Feb 07 13:52 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I thought you were pissed and in a rage when your bike broke down you rolled in into Kali Malang and then claimed it was stolen?

#44293 - 09 Feb 07 23:42 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: Piss Salon]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
"Not only Indonesian insurance companies, I just got stiffed by an Australian one. They are all bastards."

Are you talking about insurance companies or Australians?

#44294 - 09 Feb 07 23:44 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: chewwyUK]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
My advice get a company car and driver .. that way you never have to worry laugh

#44297 - 09 Feb 07 23:56 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: chewwyUK]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: chewwyUK
"Not only Indonesian insurance companies, I just got stiffed by an Australian one. They are all bastards."

Yes.

#44301 - 10 Feb 07 01:23 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: KuKuKaChu]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
Not quite like that Piss...
I was on my way home, pissed, bike broke down like you said, but it was very close to Take's Mansion on Jl Kebon Sirih. It was about 3am so I left it on the side of the road as I couldn't push it all the way to Tanjung Duren. The next day at 10am I came looking for it, but it was gone.
Of course, I told the police and the insurance company that I left it on the sidewalk near Hotel Ibis on Jalan Wahid Hasyim ... as I said I was the Dyna Pub, got drunk, and took a taxi home... sounded a bit better than the truth.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

#44303 - 10 Feb 07 01:36 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: chewwyUK]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quoting: chewwyUK

both of laugh shoot upyours

#44363 - 10 Feb 07 05:52 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: drgonzo
Not quite like that Piss...
I was on my way home, pissed, bike broke down like you said, but it was very close to Take's Mansion on Jl Kebon Sirih. It was about 3am so I left it on the side of the road as I couldn't push it all the way to Tanjung Duren. The next day at 10am I came looking for it, but it was gone.
Of course, I told the police and the insurance company that I left it on the sidewalk near Hotel Ibis on Jalan Wahid Hasyim ... as I said I was the Dyna Pub, got drunk, and took a taxi home... sounded a bit better than the truth.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

One wonders why they didn't pay out ........

#44380 - 10 Feb 07 06:24 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I like the story where you throw the thing in the canal. Has a more of pyschotic twist to it.

#44447 - 10 Feb 07 10:15 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

"I was just serving the bakso , when a stray spark from my 4 year old son's Dji Sam Soe set fire to the formaldehyde , the bowl caught fire , which in turn set fire to my motor bike which was in the kitchen sink"

"my husband was asleep on the sofa , working hard , when he twitched a bit , knocked over the candle which ignited the mansion house vodka , which then set fire to mount merapi"

"I was digging in the garden to build a new chicken shed when I struck this mud well , flooding sidoarjo"

lol

"It started raining."

#44452 - 10 Feb 07 10:49 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: Piss Salon]
Polisi Tidur Offline
Member+

Loc: Bikini Bottom
"I lent the bank's entire assets to my golfing buddies, they said they were good for it."

#44466 - 10 Feb 07 12:31 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Piss Salon
Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

lol

"It started raining."

More accurately :-
It started raining after 60 years of self government

Or From Tommy S :-
It made this loud "bang" sound , the blood started coming out of a big hole in him , making a terrible mess on the carpet .

#44471 - 10 Feb 07 13:01 Re: indonesian insurance [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Yes. There is a musical being made as we speak, though, typically, the local artists are drawing heavily on Western influences. Others would call it a blatant copyright infringement. They are calling it, 'Tommy get your Gun', and are expecting a full season at the Gedung Kesenian Jakarta. It, of course, involves the usual themes: rags to riches, social climbing and a literal clash of cultures.

Moderator:  NetCop