Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44190 - 09 Feb 07 08:20 Kalla the Kook
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Kook: Noun. Slang. A person regarded as strange, eccentric or crazy. [Possibly from CUCKOO]. Synonyms: odd fellow; odd fish; odd man out; queer bird; queer duck; current Vice President of Indonesia Yusuf Kalla.

#44191 - 09 Feb 07 08:30 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Indian steel manufacturers Tata Steel, Ispat and Essar have submitted investment proposals to build steel factories in Indonesia, particularly in South Kalimantan.
“The three large steel companies would be pushed to invest in a steel factory in South Kalimantan,” Industry Minister Fahmi Idris said here on Monday.
Last week, Idris accompanied Vice President Jusuf Kalla to India, which included a tour of Ispat’s steel factory near the capital Mumbai.

"Pushed", eh? Maybe something is lost in translation here, or it could simply be that Kalla owns a massive amount of land, allegedly, in the three areas they will be pused to invest, namely, Kota Baru, Tanah Laut, and Batu Licin.

#44192 - 09 Feb 07 08:34 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

"India, China and Indonesia could become the leading economies of the world," Kalla was quoted as saying at a recent in Mumbai, India.

"I am confident that in the near future China, India and Indonesia could be the leading economies of the world, and Asia the development hub."

Do you think that members of the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) had straight faces?

#44197 - 09 Feb 07 08:52 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Piss Salon]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
you're on a real crusade now against Kalla. i hope you realise he *will* be the next president of indonesia ...

#44212 - 09 Feb 07 09:52 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Stupidly (staying in character), he will run because he has forgotten that he paid for his ticket to run with SBY and that he bought the Golkar chairmanship, thinking instead that the masses love him, when he is actually from Sulawesi and not part of the Javan empire. This will be his and Golkar's downfall, and SBY will probably win reelection because there is no other candidate at this point in time.

#44231 - 09 Feb 07 11:38 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Did I not run a thread on said Mr Kala which resulted in 206 visitors on 17th Nov 2006, we have to be carefull here!

Anything that says Kalla is a Koont (Deliberate) will be investigated!

#44233 - 09 Feb 07 11:44 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I live in Armenia.

#44235 - 09 Feb 07 11:53 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Piss Salon]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Piss Salon
Stupidly (staying in character), he will run because he has forgotten that he paid for his ticket to run with SBY and that he bought the Golkar chairmanship, thinking instead that the masses love him, when he is actually from Sulawesi and not part of the Javan empire. This will be his and Golkar's downfall, and SBY will probably win reelection because there is no other candidate at this point in time.

don't underestimate the golkar machine, nor the power of money to win elections.

#44237 - 09 Feb 07 12:16 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I live in Armenia.

Armenian birds are 100% top class shags! No wonder you moved there!

#44241 - 09 Feb 07 12:26 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Dilli]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
I've found on Indonesia Matters that Kalla is a unifying figure, whether it's the christians, the islamists, the secularists, they're all united in their dislike or disdain for him.

I for one hope he keeps doing well, gives me heaps of material.

#44246 - 09 Feb 07 13:49 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Patung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
His spiv's moustache tells you all you need to know. All Indo politicians look like second hand car dealers

Edited by Roy's hair (09 Feb 07 13:53)

#44331 - 10 Feb 07 03:44 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Roy's Hair]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
I vote for Piss, Kuku, Dilli, PB, Chewwy, Ricc respectively as Pres, VP, Menteri Luar Dalam (LOL), Menteri Sosial, Ment. Pertahanan, Menteri Kebijaksanan.

Imagine thousand possibilities: No headcover, bar open 24/7, vegas style gambling houses, anything goes!

#44399 - 10 Feb 07 07:03 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: doremi]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

All all male line-up? Not very progressive. Kuku and Dilli will have to flip a coin to see who wears a dress. Not that Hiliary ever wears dresses. Kuku in women's slacks perhaps. Shudder.

#44405 - 10 Feb 07 07:09 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Piss Salon]
doremi Offline
Member+++

All all male line-up? Not very progressive. Kuku and Dilli will have to flip a coin to see who wears a dress. Not that Hiliary ever wears dresses. Kuku in women's slacks perhaps. Shudder.

Excellent idea Mr. Pres. (whoever look prettier, will get the title of VP - we can call it good)

Edited by nwgirl (10 Feb 07 07:17)

#44587 - 11 Feb 07 07:57 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: doremi]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: nwgirl
Imagine thousand possibilities: No headcover, bar open 24/7, vegas style gambling houses, anything goes!

This is already the case. That is why I live here. It's the Wild West baby (I am assuming you're a chick, not the Russian seaman I met during the last JakChat gathering).

#44794 - 12 Feb 07 14:41 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Kalla (which appropriately means loser in Indonesian) strikes again, this time with comments that reveal himself to be a dictator in waiting.

Abridged Antara story:

Samarinda (Antara News) - Vice President Jusuf Kalla cautioned the press here on Friday against harming itself with the freedom it was enjoying.

He said when democracy and freedom were already harming the national system, including the press itself, all of the nation's components needed to gather to discuss the problem.

"To reduce poverty there must be social and economic improvement which cannot be achieved unless there is transparency. However, it does not mean that transparency is to be pursued without limits and rules," he said.

Citing an example, he said if labor demonstrations were reported without any limit it could have a psychological effect on investors who wished to invest in the country and this, in turn, would impede economic development to improve the people`s welfare.

"So, there must be harmony. Responsible press freedom is needed to meet the nation`s ideal of creating welfare for the people. There is nothing wrong with transparency in news reporting but its effect must also be taken into account. If the economy does not grow, the press cannot grow either to generate income for its reporters and staff," he said.

"The government has no right to tell which story is allowed to be published and which one is not. However, news stories should be always released after due consideration of their possible effect," he said.(*)

#44815 - 12 Feb 07 23:22 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Piss Salon]
Pooh Bah

Citing an example, he said if labor demonstrations were reported without any limit it could have a psychological effect on investors who wished to invest in the country and this, in turn, would impede economic development to improve the people`s welfare.

meaning, of course, that it's ok to lie to foreigners and to deceive them. they don't count. they are not warga negara.

#44818 - 12 Feb 07 23:30 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I can see both sides of that argument. Which raises the question – does the media report incidents or create them?

I can tell you from bitter experience that kids who are standing watching riots in the streets change as soon as a TV camera turns up. They suddenly pick up rocks and start throwing them!!!

As one Sergeant laconically shouted to me once: “If you want to bring peace to these parts, shoot that fucking cameraman”.

#44824 - 13 Feb 07 00:10 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Piss Salon]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Quoting: nwgirl

This is already the case. That is why I live here. It's the Wild West baby (I am assuming you're a chick, not the Russian seaman I met during the last jakchat gathering).

Not to break the Kalla flow here PS, We still got a long way to go baby on this concept of WWW (wild wild west)... we need all the JCers to rise and do their duties.

#44908 - 13 Feb 07 05:22 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: doremi]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Rise up and do their duty. Most have trouble rising up and going to work. Unless for a wet lunch.

#44933 - 13 Feb 07 06:23 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Quote:

Whoa, what an utter fool. He doesn't have the faintest clue how it works does he?

IF he doesn't want bad press for things like nasty demos, then maybe his Government should make life better for those people or educate them on how to work more productively so they won't worry about being laid off, then they wouldn't protest. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY the press would have nothing negative to report on and he could tell foreign investors the truth.

What he wants is a continuance of all his and this neo-OrBa regime's tired old KKN games and screwing over the citizenry, and he wants the press not to tell anybody or expose the govt.

HE JUST DOESN'T GET IT. His way of thinking, his worldview is like something out of medieval times, the friggin' dark ages.

#44958 - 13 Feb 07 07:20 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

And actually in surfing lingo, a kook is the lowest form of life, essentially "a non-surfer wannabe guy"...made famous by Surfer Magazine's ongoing comic strip series (since the 70s) entitled "The Adventures of Wilbur Kookmeyer"

#44960 - 13 Feb 07 07:25 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

This is the picture of a true kook

#44962 - 13 Feb 07 07:29 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: riccardo]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Quoting: riccardo
This is the picture of a true kook

Ricc,

This guy looks like a friend of Jimmy Neutron.

#44975 - 13 Feb 07 07:58 Re: Kalla the Kook [Re: doremi]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

probably Neutron's father, but yes Jimmy's a bit of a kook too.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop