Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#43605 - 07 Feb 07 02:09 Mystery
Gurumeister Offline
Member+

Loc: Indonesia
Hi all,

We have a mystery to solve.

The Maximum power and torque of a Suzuki Thunder is?

I'm sick of looking for it, and it's getting on my nerves because I don't care soo much about it.

Anybody know?

Thanks in advance.

#43637 - 07 Feb 07 05:51 Re: Mystery [Re: Gurumeister]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Ask Polisi Tidur. He has a 250cc version, not the usual 150 variety. I have a Tiger 200cc, which is about as fast as the 250cc Thunder but does not have the same tourque. He told me all this and I don't know what any of it means ..

Anyway, you could also ask Roy's Hair about bikes as he seems to know a lot about them also, particularly bouncing of bajaj and breaking bits of his body.

I used to have a Thunder but it wasn't fast enough to get away from motorists I had abused.

#43652 - 07 Feb 07 07:01 Re: Mystery [Re: Piss Salon]
Gurumeister Offline
Member+

Piss salon,

What motorists did you abuse and why? I am actually thinking of getting a Satria 150 (King of bebeks). As it seems to be the best value for money and my geuss is it will kick the pants of a tiger anyday of the week.

But I am curious about the power and tourqe of the thunder 250.

Thanks for the reply and I'm intrested in hearing more motorbike stories from Jakarta/Indonesia;)

Regards,

Guru

#43662 - 07 Feb 07 07:35 Re: Mystery [Re: Gurumeister]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I used to ride a Thunder but a stupid woman dented it and popped one of my ribs. Upgraded to a Thunder, which is perfect for around the city, and not too bad for longer trips either.

Tourqe, I know nothing about. Even after reading about it.

If you are into Suzukis, I suggest you buy one of Indonesia's top-selling models ... the Suzuki Smash. You know I don't make this shit up.

#43672 - 07 Feb 07 08:14 Re: Mystery [Re: Gurumeister]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
Hi Guru,
Suzuki Thunder minimal is 125cc and maximal is 250cc Lol Piss salon! My husband, was we lived in Indonesia his ride Yamaha Scorpio Z is 225cc. Hope you can found a good one for you!
Cheers.

#43678 - 07 Feb 07 08:57 Re: Mystery [Re: dolphin]
turtle Offline

Loc: australia/indo
Scorpio seems to be the best all rouud bike. Good torque and the handling shits on both the thunder and tiger. Had one for 2 years and cruised all of java on it. Tested all the rest and they didnt come close. Decent off road also! The thunder seems overpriced and handles like a buffalo.

#43686 - 07 Feb 07 09:36 Re: Mystery [Re: Gurumeister]
bonita Offline
Member+++

Loc: at my desk
Quoting: Gurumeister
Hi all,

We have a mystery to solve.

The Maximum power and torque of a Suzuki Thunder is?

I'm sick of looking for it, and it's getting on my nerves because I don't care soo much about it.

Anybody know?

Thanks in advance.

Motorbike? I think you were into scooter grin

#43693 - 07 Feb 07 09:53 Re: Mystery [Re: bonita]
Polisi Tidur Offline
Member+

Loc: Bikini Bottom
Sorry, my midnight ride-home drag experience tells me the four-stroke (not the old two-stroke) 150cc Satria, despite being DOHC and water-cooled, is slower than the 200-225-250 trio of "moge" Tiger-Scorpio-Thunder. For the record, Scorpio is fastest, but only by a whisker - all three are about the same from a standing start. I have an elaborate comparison of specs I pieced together from various websites before I made my purchase. Let me have a look for it for you...

#43696 - 07 Feb 07 10:00 Re: Mystery [Re: Polisi Tidur]
Polisi Tidur Offline
Member+

Hehehe I figured out cost of the three moge bikes in terms of rupiah per unit torque. What a nerd. Here it is:

Thunder 250cc: Rp 9.89juta / Nm
Scorpio: Rp 9.97juta/Nm
Tiger: Rp 11.56juta/Nm

Note the Thunder 250cc (above) is sadly no longer in production, but there are plenty second hand, look in the Pos Kota daily. Plus they have a cool club, membership of which gives you a big discount on service and spares, and a gang of guys to go touring with.

#43699 - 07 Feb 07 10:16 Re: Mystery [Re: Gurumeister]
Polisi Tidur Offline
Member+

Here is the full specs comparison I did over a year ago. Caveat emptor - specs may have changed on new models but I doubt it.

Attachments
790-Mogecomparisons.doc (188 downloads)

#43700 - 07 Feb 07 10:31 Re: Mystery [Re: Polisi Tidur]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Polisi Tidur
Hehehe I figured out cost of the three moge bikes in terms of rupiah per unit torque. What a nerd.

yep, you're a nerd. no doubt.

Quote:
Plus they have a cool club, membership of which gives you a big discount on service and spares, and a gang of guys to go touring with.

cool! i've always wanted to join an indonesian militia!

#43702 - 07 Feb 07 10:47 Re: Mystery [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
[cool! i've always wanted to join an indonesian militia!

It's fun. You get to deal drugs, sell weapons to terrorists, rape women, kill babies and just generally run amok.

#43735 - 07 Feb 07 14:08 Re: Mystery [Re: Piss Salon]
Polisi Tidur Offline
Member+

BTW, when you read that doc remember DK = daya kuda = horsepower.

Satria F150 makes 16 HP. (it has an oil cooler, sorry not a radiator as I said)
Tiger makes 17.4 HP
Scorpio makes 19 HP
Thunder 250 makes 20 HP.

But the weight of each of those bikes increases along with the power, so the power to weight ratio is a different story as well. The Satria weighs 95kg to the Thunder 250's 133kg.

Not to mention how many beers you've had, which as PS will confirm is also a key determinant of top speed. Or is that terminal velocity?

#43831 - 08 Feb 07 01:25 Re: Mystery [Re: Polisi Tidur]
Gurumeister Offline
Member+

Wowa Polisi Tidur,

You must have found the specs for the Thunder250 when it was still being sold new - right?

Great chart though;)

I am probally going to get a Suzuki Satria f150 for the following reasons:

1. It's very light which means it will be easy to manouver in trafic and around tight spots(Also built for tight turns and start stop action).

2. Cast wheels (Stronger than spoked wheels, easier to clean and can probally take tubless tyres is need be).

3.mono shock

4.electronic gauges that look groovy when you switch them on
(+Fuel gauge)

5.An oil cooler which can be usfull to cool the engine down in Jakarta heat.

6. A top speed of over 140km/ph which I figure is much more than any three of the bigger bikes?

7. Fairly good aceleration which can be improved by gearing the
bike lower (if the already high top speed is not soo usefull).

8. Low fuel consumption (It dosent really mater as it IS a bike buy hey it's a quality to note:P).

9. "Dual" disc brakes (which is somewhat better than having one disc and one drum for obvious reasons)'

10. And last (Possibly) but not least it is cheaper to buy and cheaper for part.

Any futher comments? I am intrested to hear why a scorpio would be more usefull in Indo?

Take care all.

Regards,

Guru

#43871 - 08 Feb 07 04:21 Re: Mystery [Re: Gurumeister]
turtle Offline

Loc: australia/indo
It all depends what you think Indonesia is? If it's actually jakarta then get a bebek. If you actually want to go anywhere long distance on a bike then get a scorpio.(bad roads, coral, dirt, etc) Parts are cheap, suspension is very good (as is clearance) and you need power to get around trucks or out of sticky situations.
As to cast wheels stronger than spokes all I can say is if a spoke breaks you still got heaps left to support to rim. One cast goes and you're totally fucked. The wheel doesn't buckle, it collaspes. Hit a pothole at 100km an hour and it"s a BIG difference. And with locally made cast wheels I wouldn't trust em at all. Too great a risk of poor quality.
As for speed I got my bike up to 145 during idul fitri one year in jkt. Anywhere else going over 120 is a death wish on Indo roads. ie chickens, kids, becaks, idiots, trucks etc)
Up to you what you want a bike for. Jakarta traffic or getting the fuck out of jkt on weekends. Go the bebek for jkt or the scorpio if you want to see more of Indo and experience cruising.
Also scorpios are 5 speed, don't know if the Satria is.
If you like travelling the roads get v. bad and a scorpio just handles bumps better (has monoshock but with higher clearance than satria), has better low gear torque for overtaking (specially if you bore em out), doesnt bottom out, handles larger wheels/tyres, and is a motorbike rather than a postman's delivery bike!

#43882 - 08 Feb 07 04:40 Re: Mystery [Re: Gurumeister]
Polisi Tidur Offline
Member+

Glad the chart was of interest.

Yeah the F150 is certainly a good choice, and especially in Jkt traffic. I agree technology-wise it's way ahead, especially with the multi-valve head and nice instrumentation. It's a kick-start only which seems a strange omission though.

Rear disc instead of drum is certainly better technology, although counter-intuitively, that extra stopping power on the back wheel can actually be a problem. An easy way to "high-side" crash a motorbike is to lock up the back wheel in a panic, then let it off again while still moving, causing the gyroscopic effect of the wheel suddenly turning again to (laterally twist) flip the bike sideways. 90% of the stopping is done at the front wheel. A lame-ass drum brake on the back is more than enough stopping power and can actually prevent a skid/highside flip combo.

I like having the extra time between refills that the 3x bigger tank gives you on a moge, and I like having something there between my legs, hahaha. Seems weird to be flying down the road on a bebek step-through bike as if sitting on a chair.

The Satria price must've come down, when I was looking it was more expensive than the moge type because it was being assembled out of the country and hence copped extra tax. Damn I wish they didn't over-tax the >250cc bikes, I'd love to buy a 400cc Bandit or similar.

#43894 - 08 Feb 07 05:12 Re: Mystery [Re: Polisi Tidur]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
One thing I don't miss over there is what they pass off as motorcycles. I had a Tiger 2000 and about the only thing that was good about it was the low fuel consumption. I never got it over 110km/hour, and even at that speed I didn't like the sound (revving too high) of it or the vibration.
Now I have an 800cc V-twin with a shaft drive (no chain to maintain)- consumes a lot more fuel but the differences in comfort, sound, power, and looks are incomparable.
I do like the looks of 'naked' bikes though... same as the tiger, scorpio, or thunder.
Here is my bike - just need to get a two-in-one side-flare exhaust and it will be ideal.

Attachments
824-CIMG1290(Medium).JPG

#43906 - 08 Feb 07 06:02 Re: Mystery [Re: turtle]
Gurumeister Offline
Member+

Hi turtle,

I supose it really depends on what you think a "motorbike" is:P

The number one selling motorbike of all time is? In Australia it's a bigger model of that which is ussed to deliver the post:P

basically I would be buying the Satria for fun around town. For touring I supose a scorpio would be the best choice, but given the choice of bikes resonably priced in Indonesia I'd choose to tour in a car rather than on a scorpio:P

I am yet to decide which bike I will get. Probally throwing up between a scorpio and a Satria... I'm thinking the satria will be alot more fun (and more pratical).. Oh and it has a 6 speed gear box.

Idealy I would have a number of motors:

A Suzuki satria for around town.
A Yamaha scorpio for rough tracks etc.
A Ninja KRR150 for the track.
A Suzuki Katana for the trails.
A 1989 bmw 318i for the city and for long drives.

All up costing around 105 juta (Excluding taxs etc. etc.)

Which is for some reason cheaper than a late 90's kijang:P

Go figure.... It's Indonesia:P

#43907 - 08 Feb 07 06:12 Re: Mystery [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: drgonzo
One thing I don't miss over there is what they pass off as motorcycles. I had a Tiger 2000 and about the only thing that was good about it was the low fuel consumption. I never got it over 110km/hour, and even at that speed I didn't like the sound (revving too high) of it or the vibration.
Now I have an 800cc V-twin with a shaft drive (no chain to maintain)- consumes a lot more fuel but the differences in comfort, sound, power, and looks are incomparable.
I do like the looks of 'naked' bikes though... same as the tiger, scorpio, or thunder.
Here is my bike - just need to get a two-in-one side-flare exhaust and it will be ideal.

Do you keep chickens in that shed in the background ?

#43934 - 08 Feb 07 07:59 Re: Mystery [Re: Polisi Tidur]
Gurumeister Offline
Member+

Polisi Tidur,

They are selling a 250cc hyosung with lots of features and powered by a V-Twin for aroun 50juta..

Only thing stoping me from getting that is a) The price, and b) It's a hyosung:P

My tactic is if you can't beat them.... Join them, which is why I'm probally going to get the king of bebeks and beat them all... by joining them... or somthing like that:P

#44005 - 08 Feb 07 15:51 Re: Mystery [Re: Gurumeister]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Nope, no chickens Capitan, that's where I wax down my crop of dental floss.

Quote:

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely
Dental Floss

#44007 - 08 Feb 07 15:55 Re: Mystery [Re: Gurumeister]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Quote:

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
Dental Floss

#44008 - 08 Feb 07 16:35 Re: Mystery [Re: Gurumeister]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Gurumeister
Polisi Tidur,

They are selling a 250cc hyosung with lots of features and powered by a V-Twin for aroun 50juta..

Only thing stoping me from getting that is a) The price, and b) It's a hyosung:P

My tactic is if you can't beat them.... Join them, which is why I'm probally going to get the king of bebeks and beat them all... by joining them... or somthing like that:P

Buy the Charley Farley 250 and you will never sell it - even if it is made out of solid gold , WNI have a distrust of anything chinese . Just as well it has two pots , at least you stand a chance of one of them firing every now and again .
Why not look for an older bike ? I might sell my 1953 Matchless - it deserves to get ridden (as does the owner) , and lets face it , the average bule needs more that 250cc to haul him around .

#44009 - 08 Feb 07 16:41 Re: Mystery [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quote:

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
Dental Floss

You really need to get out more Doc - bike looks OK , is it nice and light ? I am contemplating a Duck 900 monster , the 600 is nice , but needs a bit more grunt to propel the 100+Kg of Capt at a respectable speed .

#44012 - 08 Feb 07 19:43 Re: Mystery [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar

Quote:

Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
That I can sell uptown

By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
Dental Floss

Thats why I'm moving to Montana!

Zappa was the king!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >