Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42876 - 01 Feb 07 03:27 WAGES OF HATRED
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
As i mentioned in the Lee Kwan Yew thread, here's an article that vividly portrays why Indonesia is still struggling economically. Everybody knows it, but the pribumi leaders of this country refuse to do anything about it. In addition, there are still over 60 anti-Chinese laws on the books in this country and it's the year 2007. I realize a lot people here dislike the Chinese for one reason or another; even a lot of expats I've met, but it helps to separate the bad apples from any group and condemn the bad person, not their entire ethnic group.

----------------------

Wages of Hatred
Pribumi hostility toward Chinese drags Indonesia down

Esther Indayani Yusuf was still shuddering as she told of an encounter at her law office on the outskirts of Jakarta. Two days earlier, a truckload of machete-wielding militants calling themselves the Commandos Against Communism showed up and vowed to burn down Yusuf's office and murder her and her staff if they didn't move out. ''I have Muslim fundamentalist blood in my veins,'' said the leader. ''It would be no problem to kill you.'' Two weeks later, Yusuf returned from an overseas trip. She found that her building had been burned down by arsonists.

The act, Yusuf suspects, has more to do with politics than religion. She is one of 6 million ethnic Chinese in Indonesia, and her staff has been investigating atrocities against her community. The threat came soon after she started probing a mass grave in Luweng, Central Java, that dated to 1965, when the army slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Chinese-Indonesians who they suspected were communists. She believes the militants were summoned by military officers.

SOWING CHAOS. In 1998, stories like Yusuf's were chillingly common in Indonesia. After the fall of Suharto in May 1998, goon squads backed by army officers loyal to the former dictator orchestrated a wave of violence against Indonesian Chinese, who have traditionally dominated the economy but make up just 3~5% of the population. The terror, apparently intended to sow chaos that would lead to Suharto's return, included gang rapes and the torching of Chinese-owned businesses and homes. It was a tragedy not only for that minority but also for the economy: By the time the riots abated, thousands of professionals--from factory managers and bankers to doctors--fled the country, taking billions of dollars with them.

Economically and psychologically, Indonesia still has not recovered. Although Indonesia should grow about 5.5% this year, that's a small bounce considering the 14% contraction since 1997. To employ the 50 million jobless and the millions who enter the workforce each year, economists figure Indonesia needs to expand at a 10% clip.

It's hard to imagine that Indonesia can achieve that without convincing the Chinese--whether they be small merchants or tycoons who once controlled multibillion-dollar conglomerates--that it's safe for them to return with their money. Government efforts to replace them with indigenous Muslims, known as pribumis, have flopped. The Chinese ran most of the country's 220 banks and virtually all major corporations. Investor confidence disappeared with them in industries from cellular telecommunications to rice trading. The ethnic Chinese owned most village general stores and sold on credit to farmers. So their departure brought the rural economy to a halt. And since the Chinese business class was Indonesia's bridge to overseas corporations and portfolio managers, it also will be difficult to lure new foreign investment. FDI inflows contracted a further 33% in 2006, and it’s been steadily dropping as companies continue to pull out of Indonesia and few new ones are coming in.

Yet, disturbingly, the terror continues--even though Indonesia now is a democracy that seemingly has taken heroic strides to eradicate Suharto's legacy of oppression and corruption. Some of the same women who were raped in gang attacks during the May 1998 mayhem, still get threatened by anonymous phone callers not to testify in court against Indonesian soldiers. Many small businesspeople, who lost everything years ago are now hiding in Jakarta, where the Chinese community is periodically threatened with ''extinction'' in leaflets. Businesses, homes and offices belonging to Chinese get regular visits from plainclothes paramilitary thugs.

For many ethnic Chinese, the fear and mistrust run too deep. While pro-Suharto officers are part of the problem, they see a much broader pattern of anti-Chinese sentiment. For one thing, public resentment of their immense economic power remains high. Many of the minority's most prominent tycoons, such as the Salim and Riady families, profited enormously from Suharto. There's little sympathy when the government moves to strip assets from such Suharto cronies as Mohamad ''Bob'' Hasan, who was found guilty of defrauding the government and forestry industry of $240 million.

TEFLON MAGNATES. The idea of transferring the nation's wealth to indigenous pribumis has growing appeal. In 1975, Malaysia forbade ethnic Chinese-controlled companies from expanding or going public unless native Malays owned at least 30%. Observers contend it's no coincidence that while Jakarta has prosecuted ethnic Chinese tycoons and dismantled their debt-laden empires since the 1997 crash, it has taken no serious action against one single pribumi magnate who also grew rich under Suharto. ''All these (pribumi) Indonesians are getting off scot-free,'' complains Hartojo Wignjowijoto, a Javanese economist who is close to the current government.

The trouble is, there is still no way to fill the hole left in Indonesia's economy by the Chinese. Estimates of damage vary wildly. The Indonesian immigration department claims that US$100 billion left the country in May 1998. Leaders of the Chinese-Indonesian expatriate communities in the U.S. and Australia estimate that 10,000 men emigrated with their families and life savings in 1998. They say that half of them return to Indonesia, often for short visits, to try to salvage what remains of their businesses. Says David Cohen, senior economist at Standard & Poor's Money Market Services in Singapore: ''The fact that the business community fled in terror is a structural problem in the economy.''

The impact on the economy is most immediately visible in the Javanese countryside. For generations, ethnic Chinese have served as village bankers, propping up the economy at its most basic level. Squatting on rice sacks with scales dangling from the ceiling, they sold to all the local farmers on credit--and knew how much each farmer was worth based on his usual harvest.

But the rural credit system collapsed in early 1998, when army-linked Islamic militants led mobs on an ethnic-cleansing rampage--burning, looting, and pillaging Chinese-Indonesian homes and stores. Just two years ago, Veronica Suryati Tanujaya, a shopkeeper from Jatiwangi on Java, explained how her neighbors torched her shop, chanting ''Chinese pigs'' while she, her husband and 9-year-old son were trapped inside. They escaped by jumping out a rear window into a river below.

Tanujaya now lives on the outskirts of Jakarta, where she has built up a small catering business with a loan from a friend and has given birth to a second child. Tanujaya occasionally visits Jatiwangi to try to sell her scorched plot of land. Her former neighbors gather around and ask her to come back and rebuild her store. They complain that Jatiwangi has become a ''dead town'' without any ethnic Chinese shopkeepers selling on credit. But she won't allow herself to forget that they tried to burn her and her family alive and tells them she'll never return. ''I lost everything, and they hurt everybody,'' she says.

Perhaps the most severe damage done to the rural economy occurred in Solo, the agricultural commodities distribution center of Central Java. In a week of rioting in May 1998, traders say, 90% of the warehouse district was razed and looted, and several ethnic Chinese women were raped. Many traders refused to take the risk of rebuilding and restocking until 2003~4. Now, they're operating at less than half capacity. That's hurting trade across Java, where 60% of Indonesia's 220 million people live, because Solo serves as an overland link between the seaports of Jakarta and Surabaya.

SOFT LOANS. The central government's plan to put pribumis in charge of the sector has been a fiasco. Islamic activist Sasono, who was appointed Minister of Cooperatives by then President B.J. Habibie, saw the destruction of Solo's warehouse district as an opening to replace the Chinese, who handled 70% of the commodities trade until the riots. Sasono initiated the Indonesian Cooperative Distribution program, under which $18 million in soft loans went to new companies run by pribumis. But it FAILED MISERABLY. ''They were not businesspeople. They were bureaucrats. They didn't have connections,'' says Gunawan Tjokrosetio, vice-president of PT Hasil Kasih, a Solo-based trading company that dealt with the pribumis.

Instead of repaying their loans, they bought refrigerators, TVs, and other luxuries for their personal use, Tjokrosetio recalls. Unable to fill orders for rice, sugar, and other foods, the pribumis paid ethnic Chinese distributors to do it for them. Sasono, however, insists the program was a success, without a hint of irony.

sources: Business Week, JP articles and this article on Dhimmi:
http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/005457.php

#42903 - 01 Feb 07 06:45 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
See the replies are coming in thick and fast to this one -

Thought for today - have you noticed that some ethnic groups actually like to imply that they are the subject of racism ? seems to me like it gives them the necessary excuses they need to stay segregated .

#42906 - 01 Feb 07 07:03 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

It's not really an article on racism and segregation as much as it is an article on why the economy is still in a quagmire. It grew out of the posts about Singapore and the Chinese tycoons who've taken refuge there, with all their money and business acumen.

#42912 - 01 Feb 07 07:49 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Who wrote it?

#42915 - 01 Feb 07 08:00 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Well , for what my opinion is worth , until the immigration laws are reviewed and much needed foreign investment is genuinely welcomed - then things won't change - which is a big shame because it could be so much better for everyone - not just investors .

#42927 - 01 Feb 07 08:53 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Piss, it's largely from a Business Week article combined with stuff from the other two sources, and up to date stats, such as the FDI numbers.

#42928 - 01 Feb 07 09:00 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I read one just like it recently.

Wages of Hatred
Americans hostility toward Indonesia drags humanity down

#42929 - 01 Feb 07 09:10 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Well , for what my opinion is worth , until the immigration laws are reviewed and much needed foreign investment is genuinely welcomed - then things won't change - which is a big shame because it could be so much better for everyone - not just investors .

Indeed! And at some point, someone is going to have to step up and show some leadership with backbone and be much more pragmatic about the usefulness of Chinese-Indonesians for the whole of Indonesia. Obviously, the dislike is far too ingrained in the people's psyche, so no hope of changing that. But all they want is for the authorities to treat them the same as any other citizen.

There are still too many people in high places -- Kalla and Bakrie come to mind -- who are idiotic enough to think this country can survive without it's smartest, most educated, hardest working human resources -- the Chinese. But the fact is, this country can't do it without them. It needs them, and to get them back, the gov't has to forcefully implement a no-tolerance policy on discrimination by cops, by soldiers, by bureaucrats, by prosecutors and judges, by RTs, RWs, by public schools and everyone the gov't has "control" over.

It's friggin' economic suicide to alienate or abuse your most valuable resources, but that's what Indonesia has managed to do, and nobody in a position of leadership seems to know that or care.

#42930 - 01 Feb 07 09:11 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: Piss Salon]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Hatred of wages, the fight against employment……

#42949 - 01 Feb 07 10:55 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: Polar Bear]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The title was obviously inspired by the renowned New Testament verse, I believe somewhere in Romans 6:??, and is actually one of most quoted verses, "For the wages of sin is death..."

In other words in this context, the 'Wages of Screwing Over the Chinese is economic DEATH..'

#42953 - 01 Feb 07 12:07 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
It's basically jealousy coupled with a massive inferiority complex that keeps that ol' Pribumi occidental hatred alive

#42969 - 01 Feb 07 15:16 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Roy's hair
It's basically jealousy coupled with a massive inferiority complex that keeps that ol' Pribumi occidental hatred alive

I think you're on the right track RH.
AND SO THE QUESTION BECOMES: Is allaying these childish, puerile feelings of jealousy and inferiority so damn imperative for these Pribumi leaders that they refuse to see that 150 million of THEIR people are living in absolute poverty and 70 million of THEIR pribumi children suffer from symptoms of malnutrition?

A healthy dose of mature pragmatism is required here. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Chinese create jobs. Jobs mean steady work and wages for millions of Indonesians. Steady wages mean tens of millions of people get to eat and send the kids to school.

The pribumi -- love 'em or hate 'em -- JUST CAN'T do that, they can only destroy, steal and dumb-down everything while shouting "Allah Akbar".

So you are the leader, what do you choose?
Do you swallow your misguided pride and 14th century, Islamo-fascist racism and allow 70 million kids to eat ...
OR... hold fast to your racist beliefs and inferiority complex and condemn those kids to death by slow starvation?

#43054 - 02 Feb 07 02:04 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: riccardo]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
"Is allaying these childish, puerile feelings of jealousy and inferiority so damn imperative for these Pribumi leaders that they refuse to see that 150 million of THEIR people are living in absolute poverty and 70 million of THEIR pribumi children suffer from symptoms of malnutrition?"

yes, it all stems from the Malay-rent seeking mentality..things aren't going to change....

"hold fast to your racist beliefs and inferiority complex and condemn those kids to death by slow starvation? "

Again, yes, this is what's going to happen. Indonesia's 'krismon' was only the calm before the storm, while the economy sputters along at only 5.5 % growth based on domestic consumption alone, the country will need to experience a serious economic catasphrophe before 'they get it'....i.e. how the modern world operates and how full economic intergration, fdi and globalisation are realities, you may not like them, but ignore them at your own peril..

The population is growing faster than the economy can handle, it won't happen soon, but in 10, 20 yrs, Indo is heading for serious disaster, multiple ethnic conflicts, foreign alienation, god help them if they actually go into recession...

#43067 - 02 Feb 07 03:25 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: naga]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Naga – IU could not agree more.

Australia is experiencing magical times. Huge workforce shortages, so much so that we are importing skilled labour on working visa permits. The economy is booming, yet inflation is low.

Why? Like Indonesia we are a resource dependent economy. China is buying all our oil, Iron ore, coal, bauxite, and anything else it can get its hands on.

Our excuse for not being a manufacturing nation is lack of population. Indonesia doesn’t have that excuse. Its lack of manufacturing is a result of poor investment, zero infrastructure, and a dreadful education system. Now China is the major powerhouse, most of the manufacturing investment is flowing there.

Take a look at Dalian to see how Jakarta SHOULD have been, but isn’t.

The big questions are:

How closely tied to the China boom is the Indonesian economy?

What happens when it fails?

Why the fuck is Indonesia not taking advantage of this huge boom to sort its shit out?

I keep reading bullshit 5 years plans that mean stuff all. The boom will be over within 10 years. And countries will survive on the fat they have generated during the boom. At that point Indonesia collapses like a snowman in summer.

#43071 - 02 Feb 07 05:11 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: Polar Bear]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
"Its lack of manufacturing is a result of poor investment, zero infrastructure, and a dreadful education system"

Poor education systems actually contribute to the manufacturing sector; afterall, who's gonna work in sweatshops and factories? not engineering graduates...

Also, don't forget Megawati's IR laws which make it more attractive to get sacked than actually work for a living. The country is breeding a parasitic culture, where a work ethic is dissolved, where anything that is honest, hardworking & successful (be it an individual or a corporation) is not be admired and emulated, but envied and then eventually destroyed.

Successful entities are then fair game to be stripped of their assets by opportunitsts via extortion etc, etc....whether its a government department or a scrubber from Blok M....

If the country is to move forward, this mentality has to stop...

#43124 - 02 Feb 07 15:15 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: naga]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: naga
"Its lack of manufacturing is a result of poor investment, zero infrastructure, and a dreadful education system"

Poor education systems actually contribute to the manufacturing sector; afterall, who's gonna work in sweatshops and factories? not engineering graduates...

Also, don't forget Megawati's IR laws which make it more attractive to get sacked than actually work for a living. The country is breeding a parasitic culture, where a work ethic is dissolved, where anything that is honest, hardworking & successful (be it an individual or a corporation) is not be admired and emulated, but envied and then eventually destroyed.

Successful entities are then fair game to be stripped of their assets by opportunitsts via extortion etc, etc....whether its a government department or a scrubber from Blok M....

If the country is to move forward, this mentality has to stop...

Strange that - sounds just like the UK - why should I work when handbag snatchers and other dross get passports and benefits , and generally know how to work the system over ?

#45477 - 18 Feb 07 02:49 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
Riccardo, bravo! For the courage to post, Wages of Hatred (GRSB)
The atrocity done to this ethnic group, Chinese Indonesian, has gone on long enough and still going on. Some people have accused the Chinese-Indonesian of segregation, not so.
I agree with some replies made in response to this post, perhaps jealousy that drive this hatred (Roy’s Hair) and if Indonesia refuses to deal with this problem, recession will ensue? (Naga).

#45479 - 18 Feb 07 03:32 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: doremi]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: nwgirl
Riccardo, bravo! For the courage to post, Wages of Hatred (GRSB)The atrocity done to this ethnic group, Chinese Indonesian, has gone on long enough and still going on.

Thanks nw, but the real tragedy is that here we are in 2007, Indonesia is supposedly modernizing and yet it still requires courage merely to discuss issues like this!! There is still too much discrimination, not only on an official level, but on the ground, in the minds of so many average folks.

A Chinese-Indonesian friend of mine was recently reprimanded by a Pribumi Javanese, who said "you must never discuss race issues in Indonesia, that means you are not a good citizen, and so you should leave this country, or else, you might become a 'victim'...." Holy Crap! The absurdity, the total irrational, illogical thought process from a member of the group that benefits from the stranglehold on another group -- telling an oppressed group not to worry about it, not to complain about their oppression... or else. Typical thuggery.

It would be like me catching a wild bird in a trap, and when the bird pleads for life and tells me he's an endangered species, protected by the Audubon Society for the sake of the world's ecosystem, I say, "Screw you bird, you must never talk about the environment, that's very bad, just shut your mouth and suffer in this cage, or else, I will kill you."

And as Bishop Desmond Tutu once said, "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are 'neutral', the mouse will not appreciate your 'neutrality'."

There is a fairly, open and healthy discussion of this on Patung's site with lots of examples from courageous Chinese-Indonesians telling their stories of discrimination here:
http://www.indonesiamatters.com/1082/anti-chinese-violence/

It's truly a pity that, even on JakChat, such discussions are violently criticized by some people, those that do not want the status quo to change, those that don't want to become a modern country, those that don't want the rest of the world to know their dirty little secret....

#46001 - 25 Feb 07 04:45 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

This blurb is from atimes.com's Crispin on the racist/nationalistic problems besetting ASEAN and pushing it even further toward irrelevance:
---------------------------------------
One step forward, two back for ASEAN/b]
/.../
Singapore's ongoing rows with Malaysia and Indonesia, on the other hand, have a potentially harsher undercurrent. Though [b]it is unstated by government officials and unexplored by the regional mainstream media, some observers believe there is an implicit element of anti-Chinese sentiment in Indonesia's and Malaysia's current protectionist rumblings against Singapore,
where about 80% of the population is ethnically Chinese.

Southeast Asia's minority ethnic-Chinese diaspora has historically kept a low profile in its adopted countries - particularly in Indonesia, where it represents about 2% of the population but controls large swaths of the country's production. But Chinese have more recently started to assert their ethnic identity with greater public confidence as mainland China gains more regional influence. It's a social trend nationalistic politicians across the region have no doubt noted.

If now-simmering nationalistic sentiments were to boil over into overt anti-Chinese sentiments and actions, as was the case in the anti-Chinese pogroms that swept Indonesia in 1998, [3] Beijing would no doubt have second thoughts about deepening its financial commitments to ASEAN - crucially at a point when China is aggressively investing overseas. Underscoring that point, Beijing has played a significant behind-the-scenes role in trying to reconcile Jakarta with various ethnic-Chinese Indonesians who fled the country with their capital for Singapore in the wake of the 1998 violence.

Significantly, protectionist sentiments are now being stoked in the very ASEAN countries that throughout the 1980s and into the 1990s served as regional showcases for the benefits of economic openness. Now, never have the economic rifts opening between certain ASEAN member states been articulated in such nationalistic and acrimonious terms. And arguably never has the backsliding come at such a critical juncture in the region's fast-shifting economic evolution.

3..See Jemma Purdey's comprehensive account of the violence, Anti-Chinese Violence in Indonesia, 1996-1999, Singapore University Press, 2006.

#46014 - 25 Feb 07 20:15 Re: WAGES OF HATRED [Re: riccardo]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
This is just in...source: Antara News Sunday, Feb. 25, 2007

Quote:
President asks countrymen not to disciminate agaist Chinese ethnic

Jakarta, Feb 24 (ANTARA) - President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyhono has called on his countrymen not to repeat a past mistake by discriminating against ethnic Chinese people.

The president made the call in his address at a Chinese New Year ceremony staged by the Indonesian Confucianist Council (MATAKIN) at the Jakarta Convention Center here on Saturday.

Moderator:  NetCop