Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42526 - 30 Jan 07 13:34 Post to be sued?
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
In an apparent response to combat embarrassing accusations of attempted corruption involving staff attached to Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono during his recent trip to the Philippines, a spokesperson yesterday said the presidential office had saved a total of Rp60 billion in 2006.

“The money was saved from many sectors, including the budget from the presidential visit,” Andi Mallarangeng said at the Presidential Palace here on Monday.

He said that due to the tight state budget, Yudhoyono had reduced the number of presidential visits to foreign countries and returned the money to the state. “The president tried to be selective on his official visits,” he said.

State Secretary Yusril Ihza Mahendra has reacted angrily to a report last week that alleged that Indonesian State Secretariat staff had asked a staff member at the Shangri-La Hotel in Mactan, Cebu, to markup the cost of the president's and staff's stay.

The manager, according to The Jakarta Post, reported that, “The manager rejected the request and suggested that the Indonesian staff not humiliate their country further.”

However, Mahendra rejected the story as false, saying he would take legal action against the paper as the intention of the article was to defame the president.

“There was no mark up cost in the hotel budget, please prove it if the issue was true.”

#42536 - 30 Jan 07 14:58 Re: Post to be sued? [Re: Piss Salon]
abie Offline
Member+

Loc: batam, indonesia
I don't believe with politician, they just smart to defence but they don't smart enough to sense what they civiliant sensed.
Politic is legal, i know it. But there so many fact that politic use every way to get they ambitions.
I HATE THAT.

#42538 - 30 Jan 07 16:18 Re: Post to be sued? [Re: abie]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
"...saying he would take legal action..." ??? What does this mean? He "would" if it were to happen again? OR, He WILL in this particular case involving JP.... hmmm this could be interesting. I've read a bit on this from not only Indonesian sources, but also Filipino sources and it sounds like there was some Indonesian, perhaps one of the journos in the entourage, that was actually making the proposition.

#42568 - 30 Jan 07 22:48 Re: Post to be sued? [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
the president sues JP? which is partly owned and fully controlled by Kompas?? it'd be like suing your parents ...

#42601 - 31 Jan 07 01:58 Re: Post to be sued? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
That Mahendra is an odious tosser and make no mistake

#42634 - 31 Jan 07 03:20 Re: Post to be sued? [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I did a quick and ugly translation of an Antara story last week:

---------------------------------------------------
Thursday Jan. 25
State Secretariat ready to deal sternly with Cebu Hotel Mark-up Allegation

Jakarta (Antara News) - Secretary of State Yusril Ihza Mahendra was ready to challenge The Jakarta Post in relation to its reporting of the room-rate mark-up allegations at a Cebu hotel where the entourage of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono stayed during the recent ASEAN summit.
"I will take the step" in the "law, but not yet."
We're still looking into it all, said Yusril late last week.
According to Yusril, the Secretariat of the Country has carried out clarification on the news of this by The Jakarta Post and has carried out an investigation at the Secretariat, as well as asked for clarity from the management of the hotel in Cebu, the Philippines.
"It is clear that we paid in accordance with the current hotel rates," he said.
Now, however, it is the writer's responsibility to report the news accurately.
How long can the JP reporter keep his source secret if it has already arrived at the investigation stage, he asked.
According to Yusril, the report written by The Jakarta Post was untrue, but it still did great damage to Indonesia's good reputation overseas, because this news has already been quoted often by the other media around the world.
He said, his side was still considering a lawsuit against the newspaper as this report definitely despoils Indonesia's good reputation.
However Yusril added, any further action could not undue the damage to Indonesia's image, which has already been tainted, as a result of that report.
The JP recently reported that a member of SBY's entourage asked the management of the Hotel of Shangri-LA to inflate the hotel rates for the 100-member group and they could split the profits, however, the Hotel declined the offer, but a "source" of the JP revealed the alleged incident.

"We wish to clarify that no one from any organization approached us to increase the room rates for the Indonesian delegation," said Shangri-LA manager Maggie Garcia, not long after the rumors emerged.

#42643 - 31 Jan 07 03:44 Re: Post to be sued? [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Another one from last Thursday:

-----------------------

The Corruption Eradication Team (TPK) has asked for information from four related witnesses regarding a report in The Jakarta Post about a mark-up of room rates at a hotel in the Philippines, used by SBY's entourage.

The chairman of TPK, Hendarman Supandji, said on Thursday afternoon that investigator Bambang Setyo Wahyudi carried out interviews with four people in Jakarta pertaining to the report.
"We spoke with two people from the State Secretariat," said Hendarman.
They also spoke to two others from the Shangri-la Hotel group. (The Shangri-La Hotel in Cebu, Philippines is where the orgininal claims were made).
The TPK is reporting directly to the President in this investigation of the price-inflation claims by The Jakarta Post.

Concerning the inspection of the writer of the report (JP's Adbul Khalik), Hendarman said, his team asked the journalist to hand over any documents that could prove his allegations, but nothing relevant has been handed over.
"Therefore we have sent him a strong letter and formally summoned him," said the former Deputy Attorney General for Special Crimes.
When the reporter was asked about the report, he now claims he merely overheard a conversation by a receptionist, not a direct source, Hendarman said.

#42666 - 31 Jan 07 04:23 Re: Post to be sued? [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Hey PISS SALON, why aren't any other English-language newspapers covering this story??????? .... OR have they and I've just missed it?

The latest DETIK story from this morning:

-----------------------------------------

Anti-Corruption Team says Cebu Hotel Mark-Up Case being hindered

Jakarta - The continuing investigation into the report of a mark-up allegation against a presidential staff member is being hindered by non-compliance from the reporter.
The Team is still waiting for solid information from The Jakarta Post's reporter, specifically to produce other witnesses to the incident, the Chairman of the Anti-Corruption Team (TPK) Hendarman Supandji stated during meeting involving members of the Attorney General's Office and the House's Commission III on Monday night(29/1/2007).
"The reporter said he would be able to give them more evidence eventually," he said.
We will follow up on this because the reporter will not respond to our summons. He now says the story was based on a conversation he overheard, said Hendarman.
Hendarman explained that the TPK summoned the reporter.
However, he has not come yet to formally clarify everything or give us names of other witnesses.
"We formally summoned him."
The JP reporter, has indicated, that he could point out several witnesses, added Hendarman.
Results of the inspection of other witnesses continue and have been sent to the president in an updated report from TPK.
They also spoke to members of the State Secretariat and the Hotel's management.
Additionally, TPK gathered documents on the finances for the president's visit to the hotel in Cebu earlier this month.
From information and the documents that were researched, there was nothing to indicate that any mark-up had taken place, he said, but did not speculate on whether the allegations of a mark-up request were accurate.

#42728 - 31 Jan 07 06:53 Re: Post to be sued? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
the president sues JP? which is partly owned and fully controlled by Kompas?? it'd be like suing your parents ...

What do you mean?

And I don't get it, the orginal Post story of Jan. 17 gives reporter Abdul Khalik and Jakarta dateline.

How can he then say; "A delegation member came and akesd the hotel manager to increase the total expenses that the Indonesian delegation had to pay," a source with the hotel's operational affairs told The Jakarta Post.

That appears to suggest he was in Cebu. I don't get it.

Regardless, the Post don't have a leg to stand on here. Caught cold. At the very least they will end up owing kook State Secretariat Mahendra large favors ... if not cash.

Yudhoyono will be very displeased and Mahendra could go to any lengths to clear his 'good name'. Suing is a profitable way of clearing one's name.

#42732 - 31 Jan 07 07:12 Re: Post to be sued? [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Piss Salon
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

What do you mean?

And I don't get it, the orginal Post story of Jan. 17 gives reporter Abdul Khalik and Jakarta dateline.

How can he then say; "A delegation member came and akesd the hotel manager to increase the total expenses that the Indonesian delegation had to pay," a source with the hotel's operational affairs told The Jakarta Post.

That appears to suggest he was in Cebu. I don't get it.

It seems there definitely was at least one JP staff in Cebu and possibly as part of the president's entourage. Maybe they just unconsciously put a Jakarta dateline regardless....

#42735 - 31 Jan 07 07:26 Re: Post to be sued? [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Yes indeed, if you check JP archives, it was the same writer, AK, and he used a Cebu dateline from Jan. 11 to Jan 17. Perhaps he waited until the day he got back to file the story rather than sit through an uncomfortable ride in the president's plane having just accused a fellow member of the entourage on the plane....

And you did not answer my question PISS SALON, any ideas why the the other English paper isn't all over this, or have I just missed the point??

#42909 - 01 Feb 07 07:37 Re: Post to be sued? [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I wrote the original post above but it didn't run. Methinks it is too young to be running stories with the name of the oppositin embedded in text. Which is fair enough I suppose but never let pride get in the way of a good story I say. Like that time when I was walking down the street touching myself and ...

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop