Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42122 - 27 Jan 07 01:46 USA finds Black Box
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
This news is over 24 hours old. Interestingly, the signals are coming from the spot off Mamuju where the first metal objects were detected. This area is a couple hundred kilometers north of where the floating debris is being found, which likely means the stuff floated for a couple weeks southward. I have another wild theory on that, but I'll refrain for the moment.
---------------------

By ANTHONY DEUTSCH, Associated Press Writer Thu Jan 25, 10:23 AM ET

JAKARTA, Indonesia - The
U.S. Navy has picked up signals from the flight data recorders of an Indonesian jetliner that crashed into the sea on New Year's Day with 102 people onboard, the U.S. Embassy said Thursday.

The USNS Mary Sears located signals "on the same frequency of the black boxes associated with the missing airplane," a statement issued by the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta said.

Data from the flight recorders will be crucial in determining the cause of the crash, but retrieving them from the ocean floor at a depth of more than a mile will likely be a difficult, expensive and lengthy operation.

The Adam Air Boeing 737 went missing more than three weeks ago after reporting heavy winds off the western coast of Sulawesi while on flying from Indonesia's main island of Java.

Three Americans _ a man from Oregon and his two daughters _ were aboard the plane.

Search teams have since found almost 200 pieces of debris _ mostly small pieces of the wings, tail, cockpit and cabin _ but no bodies.

The embassy did not say when the signals were picked up or where on the ocean floor off Sulawesi they were coming from.

The hull of the aircraft has not yet been recovered, but the statement said the Mary Sears "detected heavy debris scattered over a wide area" close to where the signals were coming from.

Eddy Suyanto, the Indonesian air force commander in charge of the search and rescue mission, said he had not been formally told of the ship's findings.

"One thing is for sure, up until this second, I have not received any report from the (Indonesian) liaison officers who were on board the ship," he said.

Indonesia said earlier this week it did not have a submarine capable of retrieving the recorders and would have to rent one.

The devices on commercial jetliners record crucial flight data such as a plane's speed and altitude as well the voices of the pilots.

The embassy said that "having completed its mission," the Mary Sears would now depart Indonesian waters on Jan. 26.

#42128 - 27 Jan 07 02:04 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Whats the similarity between Diana Ross and Adam Air?

They both have a black box!

#42131 - 27 Jan 07 02:28 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

But the AdamAir black box wasn't the inspiration for Michael Jackson's surgically created black box.

#42132 - 27 Jan 07 02:30 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I wonder if the AdamAir black box will reveal that the pilots were drunk and their last message is "we got lost trying to find the video store.."

http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=17277

#42133 - 27 Jan 07 02:31 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

If the black box always survives after crashes, why dont they build the whole fucking plane from black boxes

#42134 - 27 Jan 07 02:33 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: riccardo]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
The Black box like everything else on the plane is probably fucked and even if they recover it, we will never know what happened as there will be a cover up

(George Bernard Shaw)

#42135 - 27 Jan 07 02:42 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Dilli
If the black box always survives after crashes, why dont they build the whole fucking plane from black boxes

Aesthetic reasons only, nobody wants to fly in something that looks like a coffin, they'd rather be inside a big phallus with wings.

#42136 - 27 Jan 07 02:47 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: riccardo]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
And the Black Boxes are not even Black! They're orange, for goodness sake!

#42148 - 27 Jan 07 04:04 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Balibob]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Balibob
... even if they recover it, we will never know what happened as there will be a cover up

Now since the US Navy ship is leaving, having apparently done its job, it will now be up to the Indonesian authorities to go down and get it... yeah, that'll be done promptly and efficiently. The company is probably now "negotiating" with said authorities now to cover it up. However, since it was a Boeing manufactured in the USA and the fact that 3 americans were onboard, the USA's NTSB will probably want to analyze it to determine if anything in the way it was manufactured could have been a cause.

I've noticed that the local media, especially Detik and RCTI, have been conducting a veiled smear campaign against Boeing, strongly implying that Boeing, THE BAD OL' USA and even BUSH are to blame for all the problems of not only AdamAir, but every disaster in the history of Indonesia.

The Cover-UP will be this:
Local investigators -- "Our investigation has shown that it was not AdamAir's fault at all. It was the USA and Boeing. The pilot had also visited the USA on two occasions in the past 10 years, so we will be suing his family for $50 trillion, Boeing for $100 trillion and G.W. Bush for $247 trillion."

Then they will use the tried and true terms when asked about AdamAir's safety record -- "baseless accusations" and "groundless allegations"....

In my experience, when an Indonesian official uses the terms "baseless" and/or "groundless" then you know, BEYOND ANY DOUBT, that he's LYING HIS BUTTOCKS OFF.

#42155 - 27 Jan 07 04:35 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Whats the similarity between Adam Air Flight KI-574 and Riccardo after half a bintang?

They crash.

#42156 - 27 Jan 07 04:36 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

He, He, He!

#42161 - 27 Jan 07 05:09 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

That's why I drink Carlsberg...

#42191 - 27 Jan 07 11:10 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: riccardo]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
Well, i hope that black box can show something happend with adam air. Hopefully everythings going well until they get that black box. Finger cross smirk

#42197 - 27 Jan 07 13:42 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: dolphin]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
I don't think we need the black box to tell us that something happened with that adam air flight... the fact that the black box is a mile deep in the ocean is proof something pretty drastic went wrong. It would be nice to find out just what it was that happened... to hear the pilot say "Oh shit, the starboard wing just fell off!"

#42199 - 27 Jan 07 13:44 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: dolphin]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
How low can you go? This is simply terrible. Speechless. Almost.

JAKARTA, The Point

Vice President Jusuf Kalla yesterday suggested that the black boxes belonging to Adam Air Flight KI-574 were too deep to retrieve and they should be left where they lie.

"Seeing that it is one kilometer to 1.5 kilometers underwater, it is impossible to get," he told reporters. "Therefore, we should let go, I think all the passengers' relatives have already done the same," he claimed.

The comments are likely to anger many of the families of the victims, who are looking for answers as to how the plane vanished with the loss of 102 lives on Jan. 1.

Compounding concerns of a potential end to the investigation, Kalla said it was the airline's responsibility to pay for the retrieval of the black boxes though Adam Air spokesman Dodi Junari said deciding whether the black boxes would be recovered was up to search and rescue authorities.

Kalla is the chairman of the Golkar Party, while the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Agung Laksono, also a senior Golkar cadre, has been accused of continuing to be involved in the running of the embattled airline, which is under fire for poor safety management. His son holds a senior management position.

Transportation Minister Hatta Radjasa said here Friday that the government would meet with its American counterparts before deciding whether or not the black boxes or wreckage could be recovered from from the seabed of the Sulawesi Strait.

“We cannot do it right now and have to wait to talk to U.S. officials who have been involved in the searching,” Radjasa told the press, referring to the U.S. Navy's oceanographic survey ship the USNS Mary Sears which, using a towed pinger locator, detected pingers on the same frequency of the black boxes associated with the missing passenger jet.

The U.S. Embassy said Thursday that the ship deployed to aid Indonesian authorities in the search detected heavy debris scattered over a wide area on the seabed.

Having “completed its mission”, the Mary Sears left Indonesian waters yesterday for Singapore.

In the meantime, Radjasa said raising what remained of KI-574 was a too difficult task to bear, because it required specific high-tech and expensive equipment.

The minister, however, failed to give a clear response when reporters asked him, “How long will the families of the passengers have to wait to know whether the debris is going to be lifted?”

“We'll just wait,” he mumbled.

Radjasa said there was a discussion going on between the Indonesian government and U.S officials regarding “the necessary equipment [needed] in our attempt to lift the black boxes from the bottom of the sea.”

Three U.S. citizens were aboard the ill-fated flight.
Radjasa admitted Indonesia did not have the technology needed to retrieve the black boxes, which could be up to two kilometers beneath the ocean.

“We have to be realistic in seeing the problem, due to the difficult location of the box. All our attempts to reach the box must wait until after our discussions with U.S officials.”

Pushed for more information, Radjasa declined to give further comment, saying, “It's too early to talk about that and so far we have not talked about it. The box can be retrieved, however it all depends on the effort. What is the benefit for us finding the box? If there are passengers alive, then maybe it can be useful.”

#42295 - 28 Jan 07 06:44 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

They're already in cover-up mode. Piss, this is odd. You guys failed to mention in the print version the bit about Laksono "Agung Laksono, also a senior Golkar cadre,..." Sort of ties JK and him together nicely.

This is another microcosm of why RI is not developing on par with other countries. They'd rather sweep a problem under the rug to avoid blaming friends/colleagues/biz partners, instead of investigating and determining the cause so that in the future a similar disaster might be prevented.

If they were to find out that this particular model (and age) of Boeing cannot handle certain weather at a certain altitude or speed or something, then they will ground the fleet or not fly through similar conditions. Because they'd know better. If they determine that there was sub-standard maintenance on one particular part like an engine, tail etc., then they can enforce a better system of checks and maintenance for those parts, all to prevent a similar disaster.

If they sweep it under the rug, nobody will be blamed, nothing will improve, and more disasters will occur when that particular confluence of events takes place. And JK and Laksono and Mr. Adam will still fly in chartered new planes with top quality maintenance and equipment. And THEY will all live happily ever after, while average folk that get on their planes will be risking their lives -- and paying those idiots for the pleasure!

#42301 - 28 Jan 07 08:03 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Riccardo wrote: "They're already in cover-up mode. Piss, this is odd. You guys failed to mention in the print version the bit about Laksono "Agung Laksono, also a senior Golkar cadre,..." Sort of ties JK and him together nicely."

I think if you read the story, I wrote, quite clearly, in paragraph 5: "Kalla is the chairman of the Golkar Party, while the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Agung Laksono, also a senior Golkar cadre, has been accused of continuing to be involved in the running of the embattled airline, which is under fire for poor safety management. His son holds a senior management position."

#42303 - 28 Jan 07 08:31 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Roy's Hair]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Whoops, the above posting is not Roy's hair but rather Piss Salon. Roy's hair is much too intelligent to write such drivel.

#42304 - 28 Jan 07 08:33 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Roy's Hair]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

piss round my gaff at the moment you understand

#42313 - 28 Jan 07 13:47 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I seriously don't wish to know what else you two sexy fellas are swapping besides nicknames, but PISS, in the print version on Saturday morning someone cut out the part that mentions "golkar cadre" -- double check for yourself, I'm looking at it as I type this. There is nothing telling the us which party Laksono is affiliated with -- even tho' most people probably know.

#42329 - 28 Jan 07 21:47 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Piss Salon]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand
I wonder if the AdamAir black box will reveal that the pilots were drunk and their last message is "we got lost trying to find the video store.."

The last message would be ffffaaaaaaarrrrrrrkkkkkk wouldnt it

#42330 - 28 Jan 07 21:56 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: riccardo]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand
Well, i hope that black box can show something happend with adam air. Hopefully everythings going well until they get that black box

How can everything go well the bloody plane has crashed, finding the black box aint gonna change that

#42339 - 28 Jan 07 22:54 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Diyu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Diyu
Quoting: dolphin
Well, i hope that black box can show something happend with adam air. Hopefully everythings going well until they get that black box

How can everything go well the bloody plane has crashed, finding the black box aint gonna change that

Diyu, If you want to quote someone and respond accordingly, it helps everyone understand the context when your use the "QUOTE" button first (or "QUICK QUOTE"), then type your comment below the html tag and click "SUBMIT". You can also check "PREVIEW REPLY" to see how your post will look and if you've done the quote thing correctly. As it is, it appears you are responding to "riccardo" in the post above, but actually that's Dolphin's quote from a couple days ago.

And I agree with you that it was a bit perplexing to read "everything going well".

#42354 - 29 Jan 07 01:29 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

They are speaking in tactful, almost diplomatic, language, but the message from the American and Canadian is clear: JK is being a complete fool trying to sweep this under the carpet. Here's the latest story:

------------------------

International Herald Tribune
Experts say investigation into Indonesian plane crash important to global aviation safety

The Associated Press
Friday, January 26, 2007

JAKARTA, Indonesia

Determining what caused an Indonesian jetliner to plunge into the sea with 102 people is important for global aviation safety in case there are structural problems with the world's most popular aircraft, experts said Saturday.

Signals from the Boeing 737's flight recorders, also known as black boxes, have been traced to the ocean floor at a depth of about 1,700 meters (a mile), but the government says it does not have the sea salvage technology needed to recover them.

The Adam Air plane disappeared after running into 130 kilometer (80 mile) per hour winds off Sulawesi island on New Year's Day. The pilot did not issue a mayday or report technical problems before the jetliner fell off radars at 10,000 meters (35,000 feet).

Indonesia has asked for international help recovering the black boxes, but with their battery life of 30 days about to expire, "time is of the essence," said Jim Hall, a former chairman of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board.

"If you lose the signal, you don't have anything to hone in on," he said. "At that depth there will likely be visibility problems, currents can move sediment over the box and pieces of wreckage ... you may not be able to recover it at all."

"The safety of citizens that fly not just in Indonesia but across the globe depends on finding that black box," Hall added.

Initially, search and rescue teams thought the plane crashed on land and, with no emergency beacon to guide them, deployed thousands of troops across Sulawesi's dense jungles and remote regions, losing valuable time.

A fisherman eventually found a section of the tail in Makassar Strait and more than 200 pieces of debris have since been plucked from the waters. But the main fuselage, engine, cockpit, wings and other parts key to the investigation have yet to be recovered.

"We just don't know," said Ken Johnson, the former executive of the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, noting that the crash could be tied to poor maintenance, pilot error, sabotage, weather, structural faults or "a million other reasons."

"It might be very, very simple, but conversely, it could be something extremely important," he said.

Johnson noted that it took a yearslong US$40 million investigation to determine that a 1998 Swissair crash off Canada's eastern coast was the result of an electrically-sparked fire fed by insulation between the jet's aluminum skin and its cabin.

That led to a major overhaul of the way the planes were manufactured and certification standards, he said, pointing to several other such examples.

"In the unlikely event the Adam Air crash was a problem with the aircraft, it's pretty important to find it and fix the worldwide fleet," Johnson said.

So far, more questions than answers remain.

An Indonesian transportation investigator said the pilot reported strong crosswinds from the left in his last radio transmission, but the control tower said the wind was coming from the right, pointing to possible navigational problems.

The plane, which twice had to change course because of the rough weather, also could have been turned around, Ruth Simpatupang said.

Boeing refused to comment, saying the accident investigation was ongoing. A representative from the Chicago-based company was in Indonesia to offer assistance.

#42392 - 29 Jan 07 11:38 Re: USA finds Black Box [Re: Diyu]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
Diyu, i just hope, minimals we can know where adamair locations. Is it wrong to you if i hopely everything just going well or bit better than know nothings ?!?!

Edited by dolphin (29 Jan 07 12:17)

Moderator:  NetCop