Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41043 - 18 Jan 07 00:39 Corruption & Tsunami Aid
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I saw a couple of posts with some speculation on what's gone wrong with Tsunami Aid and why 90% of Australia's pledged money has not yet been delivered. Here's an article from SPERO news that helps to explain:

-----------------------------------

Aceh: Tsunami aid blocked by corruption
More than 97 billion rupiahs disappear in the pockets of government officials

Two years after the tsunami and a year and half since the start of reconstruction, Aceh remains one huge building site. The quake and the tsunami wave that killed more than 167,000 people on December 26, 2004, also left half a million homeless and many millions displaced, but only 57,000 permanent and 15,000 temporary housing units have been built out of 120,000 that are needed.

Inflation is delaying the reconstruction process. The early estimated price tag of €$ 4 billion is now 6. For Indonesian Corruption Watch (ICW), improper actions, fraud and lack of coordination are the most important reasons.

ICW executive Firdaus Ilyas strongly urged the Aceh Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Agency (BRR) to accelerate its reconstruction efforts in northern Sumatra. He also insisted that “corruption in the BRR should also be handled with serious measures”.

According to the ICW, 97 billion rupiahs (€ 8 million) were lost due to corruption of BRR officials.

In a country where corruption is endemic, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono had appointed Kuntoro Mangkusubroto, a man known for his probity, to chair the BRR. But even he seems to be unable to change things.

Various NGOs have complained that local building contractors are not respecting their contractual obligations and instead of building quake-proof homes in an area where quakes are weekly events are putting substandard units but are still being paid for the full cost.

Predominantly Christian Nias Island (Aceh is predominantly Muslim) is getting less aid. Nias Christians have complained that the BRR has failed so far to rebuild any home or infrastructural project on the island. “There are many complaints among Nias survivors since the island has not yet risen from its rubbles,” said Anies Baswedan, from the Indonesian Survey Institute.

#41045 - 18 Jan 07 00:42 Re: Corruption & Tsunami Aid [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Here's a recent blurb on the subject from The Guardian:

"...$12 billion in funding has been committed to recovery and reconstruction projects, critics claim that billions of aid dollars have been misappropriated, or simply not been disbursed, causing victims to live in crowded tent camps or temporary homes.

Corruption has also marred the process, with several nongovernment organizations forced to delay projects or rebuild homes after contractors and suppliers ran off with funding."

#41046 - 18 Jan 07 00:47 Re: Corruption & Tsunami Aid [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: riccardo
Corruption has also marred the process, with several nongovernment organizations forced to delay projects or rebuild homes after contractors and suppliers ran off with funding."

indonesia banget ...

#41098 - 18 Jan 07 10:13 Re: Corruption & Tsunami Aid [Re: riccardo]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
LOL Riccardo

#41102 - 18 Jan 07 11:18 Re: Corruption & Tsunami Aid [Re: dolphin]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
yeah, can't say I'm surprised

#41141 - 19 Jan 07 00:54 Re: Corruption & Tsunami Aid [Re: Roy's Hair]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Yeah no wonder frown

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#41198 - 19 Jan 07 03:52 Re: Corruption & Tsunami Aid [Re: Macan Tutul]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
To Hollywood?

American educated Rebel fights brutal occupying force for 20-odd years, jailed, tortured, escapes from prison when tsunami breaks down prison walls, helps negotiate peace, elected governor, turns round sorry state-of-affairs in province by cracking down on corruption, model adopted Indonesia wide, elected President of the republic, Indonesia wins medal in Olympic games.

#41310 - 20 Jan 07 01:12 Re: Corruption & Tsunami Aid [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Quoting: Piss Salon
Indonesia wins medal in Olympic games.

Yeah, that last one requires a bit of a stretch of the imagination. This would be the men's freestyle crouching beside the road event would it?

#41400 - 20 Jan 07 10:08 Re: Corruption & Tsunami Aid [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: Roy's hair
Quoting: Piss Salon
Indonesia wins medal in Olympic games.

Yeah, that last one requires a bit of a stretch of the imagination. This would be the men's freestyle crouching beside the road event would it?

With extra points for silly comments made to bules , and kreteks toked.

Moderator:  NetCop