Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41012 - 17 Jan 07 09:24 Cops acting against Poso militants??
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Are Indonesian police finally acting in Poso to rid the area of Muslim militants? They already topped a senior JI guy and are now saying that 'if you are armed, we will shoot you'. If they are serious it is a fine line to walk, with civil war a distinct possibility if they fuck it all up.

This from a local rag
Chief of Central Sulawesi Police, Brig. Gen. Badrodin Haiti said that the police will soon issue an announcement they will shoot anyone found in possession of illegal arms in Poso, because it is endangering security and stability in the region.

"We will shoot anyone found to possess illegal arms, because it is against the law," he said to the press at the Central Sulawesi Police Headquarters on Jalan Sam Ratulangi, Palu on Tuesday.

He said that a large number of civilians in Poso still kept illegal arms, and that police were concerned that they would become involved in radical groups or join the riots which are currently affecting Poso.

"We don't know where they got the firearms from, whether they were supplied by third parties or whether they assembled the firearms themselves, we're still investigating," he said.

Haiti said that the violence that has been occurring recently in Poso is supported by groups from outside the area attempting to cause disruptions and reignite tensions, since the security situation has been conducive for the past few years since the resolution of the conflict several years ago.

"We, the police, have been able to identify the rioters. Some of them have studied at the military academy in Afghanistan. These graduates from Afghanistan are mostly from outside Poso or Sulawesi and have come to Poso to ignite violence," he said.

In response to a question on the Poso security situation, he said that all regions of Poso are safe, but that everyone should increase their alertness.

"Currently, the streets, markets and other public places are crowded as usual, although here and there there are law enforcers standing by," he said.
He also said that starting Tuesday vehicles have been able to freely enter and leave Poso, as the barricades which were set up on some main streets by residents have been removed by the police.

"Yesterday, vehicles couldn't enter or leave Poso, because the situation was tense. We were also worried that stray bullets would hit civilians," he said.

Badrodin Haiti urged officials who did not have authority to refrain from making comments on the situation in Poso because they did not have the capacity to do so.

"I ask them not to “open their mouths” and utter the wrong things, because it will affect the way the residents evaluate police work in Poso so far," he said.

He said that in handling the Poso case the police have been professional and stuck to regulations. "We can't stay put when our opponent uses weapons, can we? Should we wait for one of our police officers to become a victim?" he said in response to criticism by a number of officials in Central Sulawesi on the death of a civilian during the police assault on alleged rioters.

Haiti said that many of the uncaptured rioters in Poso are in the possession of firearms.

#41688 - 23 Jan 07 09:51 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I guess they are finally doing something, probably due to the US-financed anti-terror Detachment 88

10 killed in gunbattle in Poso, report says
POSO, Central Sulawesi (Agencies): An anti-terror squad Monday raided an Islamic militant stronghold in Central Sulawesi's town of Poso, touching off a gunbattle that killed nine civilians and one officer, a police officer said.

The clash took place in Poso, the scene of bloody fighting between Muslim and Christian gangs six years ago and sporadic bombings and shootings by Islamic extremists since then, said Central Sulawesi Police chief Brig. Gen. Badrodin Haiti.

Security forces arrested 18 other alleged militants and seized a large haul of bombs and weapons in the three-hour exchange, a sharp escalation in the fight against terrorism in the world's most populous Muslim nation.

"If they did not fire at us, there is no way we would have attacked them," Badrodin told The Associated Press.

Meanwhile, Antara News agency reported previously that the shootings occurred in a number of areas in a restive town, which was hit by religious conflicts since late 1990s.

Zulkifli Kay, a resident of Kayamanya subdistrict, said that he saw at least five civilians were killed during the gunbattle, which had taken place since 8 a.m.

Among the casualties are Brig. Rony -- an anti-terror police officer -- and several civilians -- Om Gam, Mahmud, Yakub, and Idrus.

"All those bodies were taken by police officers, maybe to Poso police office or hospital," Zulkifli was quoted as saying.

The incident sparked by the police effort to arrest a number of people who are allegedly involved in religious riots in the town also caused many other people suffered from minor and serious wounds.

Markets, schools and officers were closed following the incident.

On Jan. 11, police in Poso killed a man they said was a senior member of the al-Qaida-linked regional terror group Jemaah Islamiyah, which was blamed for the 2002 Bali bombings and other deadly attacks in Indonesia in recent years.

Since then, officers have clashed several times with suspected militants. (**)

#41718 - 23 Jan 07 23:19 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Because the government showed extreme bias favoring the Muslim side after all the carnage from 1999 to 2001 -- they executed 3 Christian farmers and NOT ONE MUSLIM! The message was loud and clear to the terrorists, 'you can get away with murder in this Muslim country.'

As I understand it, the local indigenous Muslim groups are just mellow people and they've lived together with everyone else in relative harmony up until the late 90s. But it is trained terrorists, mostly from Jawa, who have been going over to C. Sulawesi to stir the shit, and they feel even more emboldened after the message of impunity of was sent.

The government's chickens are coming home to roost.

#41724 - 24 Jan 07 00:50 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: riccardo]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
Civil war won't happen provided the police hold their resolve and finish the job, obviously this depends on whether they receive THAT phone call from Jakarta ordering them to stop..

It seems they got THAT phone call in the first place and there seems to be no interference from the TNI (at this stage)...hopefully, their gonna wipe out these pricks once and for all

#41819 - 24 Jan 07 14:08 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: naga]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Something I whipped in 15 for a certain paper.

Central Sulawesi, particularly the district and town of Poso, is notorious for bloody fighting between Muslims and Christians and untold terror attacks, particularly during the dark period of 1998 to 2001, when around 2,000 mainly innocents were slaughtered in sectarian clashes.

Though sporadic -- if not equally as brutal and shocking -- violence has continued, there has been hope that the peace brokered in late 2001 would hold, with a belief that outside forces (be they Muslim, Christian, criminal elements of Indonesia's security forces or even the politicians themselves) were involved solely with the intention of reigniting the deadly violence to serve their vested interests.

Sadly it appears that this troubled region, if not beyond, could again be descending into the depths of hell as, if internationally respected analyst Sidney Jones has been quoted accurately as saying, regional terror network Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) has come out of hibernation to launch a new front in Sulawesi.

This of course is bad news for the largely peaceful civilian population, both Muslim and Christian, who will no doubt suffer the most, Indonesia's religious tolerance and increased terror threats in other parts of the country.

Jones says that scores of former JI members, who split from the terror organization after the targeting of innocent civilians in Bali and Jakarta, have reactivated and travelled to the province to do battle with the USA and Australian-trained anti-terror police, Detachment 88, who at last count had killed 13 militants, including another senior JI member. One officer has also lost his life.

The same police officers killed another prominent JI leader, wanted for a string of terror attacks including the beheading of three Christian school girls, in an earlier raid.

As the situation spirals out of control, we hear that additional officers are being sent from Jakarta, though it is unclear why the Indonesian Armed Forces and the National Police's very own supposedly elite Brimob units aren't taking a more active role; though it could be argued that they have helped matters little in the past.

As the battle rages, residents, already used to violence, are cowering in their homes.

Poso is again at the crossroads. Will the people be abandoned like they were in 1999 for three years or will the province become a rallying ground for what Muslim militants call 'jihad' or the struggle against evil?

Whatever the answer, we think it is wise to bear in mind what former National Intelligence Agency (BIN) Head Lt. Gen. (ret) A. M. Hendropriyono said a couple of days ago. “But I, being the then head of our intelligence body, witnessed it myself how Jakarta reacted to those intelligent reports on Poso,” he said, referring to the many public figures who, instead of developing a sense of crisis, manipulated tensions for their political and monetary gain.
Remember the words, “Never again?”

#41846 - 25 Jan 07 00:40 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: Piss Salon]
naga Offline
Member++

"As the situation spirals out of control, we hear that additional officers are being sent from Jakarta, though it is unclear why the Indonesian Armed Forces and the National Police's very own supposedly elite Brimob units aren't taking a more active role; though it could be argued that they have helped matters little in the past. "

Actually, the situation is under control, the current score card is 13-1,it appears ugly because you have paramilitary police units conducting a military operation.

Anti-terroism is strictly under the control of Polri, under the auspices of D-88, which is a unit of Gegana, which is under command of Brimob.

Brimob units are at the forefront of the fighting, this will continue until the hoodlums surrender or are forced so far into the hills, that they won't pose a threat for some time.

For the life of me, i don't know why Sidney Jones is consistently quoted as the preminent expert on all things terrorism and JI in SE Asia, especially Indonesia...she is a relentless publicity seeker..

Javanese terrorists have been operating in Central Sulawesi since 1999, it is nothing new and has been available via open sources for a long time, the difference is they don't enjoy the protection of the TNI anymore, hence they are on their own and on the run.

#41850 - 25 Jan 07 01:09 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: naga]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Quoting: naga69
For the life of me, i don't know why Sidney Jones is consistently quoted as the preminent expert on all things terrorism and JI in SE Asia, especially Indonesia...she is a relentless publicity seeker..

She isn't necessarily a preeminent expert, she's more like the 'public face' or spokesperson for ICG. The Brussels-based ICG is a very solid, credible group with very clued-in Indonesian and international researchers right on the ground in the hotspots. So it's not always her personal expertise, per se, she is often merely the 'voice' of the ICG analysts for the English-language press here.

#41853 - 25 Jan 07 01:17 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: riccardo]
naga Offline
Member++

Agreed on all points, i like the ICG's work, especially its political analysis, i'm just sick of her....

#41881 - 25 Jan 07 03:43 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: naga]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I went on what I read last night after a 12-hour day, and primarily SJ's comments, even though they were published only in the Aussie media. If what Jones is saying is correct -- she has a report coming out today explaining her position in more detail I understand -- then an influx of 'foreign fighters', i.e. Javanese, would mean the situation is again, spiralling out of control. I suppose the language used is a bit of a beat up however.

Dragon, welcome, you seem to know what you are on about. Or pretend to like the rest of us. ;-) Tell me more about D88. They seem to conduct themselves well, at least on previous occasions. I didn't know they were under the control of Brimob. They must have a certain degree of autonomy, or the US and Aussies wouldn't be so heavily involved?

#41907 - 25 Jan 07 06:21 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: Piss Salon]
naga Offline
Member++

"If what Jones is saying is correct -- she has a report coming out today explaining her position in more detail I understand -- then an influx of 'foreign fighters', i.e. Javanese, would mean the situation is again, spiralling out of control. I suppose the language used is a bit of a beat up however."

Javanese militants have been there for years, it's not new information and this has been open source for a while...it's just that it appears D-88 have been given a clear mandate to erdicate them without interference from Islamist parties and the TNI..

Somehwere along the line SBY has told them all to fuck off and is allowing Suprapto's boys off the leash..perhaps it was prompted by his recent public criticsm and/or creation of the revolutionary council, which i find more scary than JI....

D-88 is under the command of Brgadier General Bekto Suprapto, they are financed primarily by the US govt by a program. The program is not unique to Indo, it is conducted in other 'developing countries' as well.

The idea is to develop a nationwide anti-terrorist Polri unit which has investigatory, intelligence collation/analysis and tactical arrest capabilities. Hence this will make D-81 (CT unit from Kopassus)redundant.

The Aussies (via the AFP & ASIS)provide support via technical training and intell collation/analysis trg, the yanks (ex-police/military instructors) teach them how to kick doors in and kill people, the combo seems to work fine when they are allowed to do their job.

The only thing that will ever prevent them from eradicating the troublemakers from this beautiful country is political interference from Jak-vegas...not to mention how much $ is stolen from the budget by senior officers (not from D-88 mind you)

They seem to be a cut above the average plod, keen to do the job and proud to do so...

#41933 - 25 Jan 07 09:25 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: naga]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Of course Javanese militants have been there for years. Thanks for repeating it ad nauseam as if its some sort of scoop.

Your other information, however, was welcomed. As I said before, I am not pretending to be an expert.

Not sure about moves to make Kapassus unit redundant though. Perhaps you are right with the anti-terror unit. US, Aussies and many other governments were directing aid away from military to National Police after the East Timor fiasco. However, the military are now again in favor, which may be detrimental to National Police. Even New Zealand is again playing ball with the TNI, which can't be good.

#42168 - 27 Jan 07 05:36 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: Piss Salon]
naga Offline
Member++

"Of course Javanese militants have been there for years. Thanks for repeating it ad nauseam as if its some sort of scoop."

Thanks for reminding me for reminding you... i just came off a 12-hr shift making pizza's...

"Not sure about moves to make Kapassus unit redundant though"

The idea is to make D-88 the primary Counter-Terrorist (CT) unit throughout the country,with units placed all over the archiplegao, now that Polri has nation-wide jurisdiction for internal security, including CT duties, hence it will make D-81 (Kopassus CT unit) essentially redundant.

The Oz/NZ SAS are still training them as a political pay-off in order to keep the generals happy. This is not new, its been going on since the 90's, it is only a political agreement and mean little more, apart from embarassing the Oz govt, who now trains terrorists as well as kills them..

Resources were diverted away from the TNI after the Santa Cruz massacre in 1991, only sporadic exercises between SF units were conducted...mainly in anti-hijacking.

#42169 - 27 Jan 07 06:05 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: naga]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: naga
"The Oz/NZ SAS are still training them as a political pay-off in order to keep the generals happy. This is not new, its been going on since the 90's, it is only a political agreement and mean little more, apart from embarassing the Oz govt, who now trains terrorists as well as kills them

It has been going on longer than the 90s, but why do we want to keep the general's happy, in your opinion. So the West can keep helping themselves to oil, gas and gold?

#42176 - 27 Jan 07 07:53 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: Piss Salon]
naga Offline
Member++

"It has been going on longer than the 90s, but why do we want to keep the general's happy, in your opinion."

It's for political balance only, keeping certain parts of the TNI infrastrucure happy will alleviate some heat for SBY's other concerns, namely economic development and CT activities. This is epsecially considering the uprecedented amount of aid that's going to Polri, remember our local friends can be a jealous and vindictive lot, especially when they feel wronged or have 'lost face'.

Keeping elements of the TNI SF crowd chuffed is inexpensive and makes the govt look good in Jak-vegas and isn't as obvious that they are being sidelined after years of being spoiled.

Again it's for domestic Indo politics, not for Australia's benefit. Hence the new 'Lombok Treaty', another meaningless document that Jakarta can tear up at their next tantrum over an issue they caused in the first place. It's to keep certain parties happy there, not because it actually means something or will be invoked when required.

"So the West can keep helping themselves to oil, gas and gold?"

Nope,imo... the Aus govt has virtually no influence over biz in Indo, believe it or not, they are fucking useless...

As Gough Whitlam reportedly once said 'Comrade we can't even influence Vanuatu, how on earth can we influence Indonesia?'.

#42181 - 27 Jan 07 08:32 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: naga]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Good to see you got a tagline. Is that from a Justin Timberlake song?

And happy Australia Day cobber. May you throw many prawns on the barbie, skull VB and vomit on your sister as you make love to her.

I suppose I am just being jealous. New Zealand Day celebrations involve sheep, and not for eating.

#42453 - 30 Jan 07 04:53 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: Piss Salon]
naga Offline
Member++

"Good to see you got a tagline. Is that from a Justin Timberlake song?"

dude, i am assuming you are taking the urine...it's Neil Young.

#42454 - 30 Jan 07 04:56 Re: Cops acting against Poso militants?? [Re: naga]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I heard the new Doctor Who series was being filmed in Kiwiland and featured some interesting new 'baddies"

Attachments
645-baaleks.jpg

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop