Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40989 - 17 Jan 07 06:07 Douglas Adams on Indonesians
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
"Virtually everything we were told in Indonesia turned out not to be true, sometimes almost immediately. The only exception to this was when we were told that something would happen immediately, in which case it turned out not to be true over an extended period of time."
- Douglas Adams

#40998 - 17 Jan 07 07:53 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: Piss Salon]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
smile

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#41005 - 17 Jan 07 09:10 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: Macan Tutul]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
did you mention something about a book he wrote on Indonesia? I would like a read of that if you can give me the name of it

#41014 - 17 Jan 07 09:38 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: chewwyUK]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

'Last Chance to See'. A book he wrote with a famed zoologist about disappearing species. Indo was one chapter. Very funny.

#41038 - 17 Jan 07 23:47 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Adams also exploded the myth that you should respect Indonesians polite culture and always be polite if you want anything done. He said that it was only when you go all purple in the face that things start moving. I miss old Dougie.

#41088 - 18 Jan 07 07:04 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: Roy's Hair]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Adams:

David Attenborough has said that Bali is the most beautiful place in the world, but he must have been there longer than we were, and seen different bits, because most of what we saw in the couple of days we were there sorting out our travel arrangements was awful. It was just the tourist area, i.e. that part of Bali which has been made almost exactly the same as everywhere else in the world for the sake of people who have come all this way to see Bali.
The narrow, muddy streets of Kuta were lined with gift shops and hamburger bars and populated 'with crowds of drunken, shouting tourists, kamikaze motorcyclists, counterfeit watch sellers and small dogs. The kamikaze motorcyclists tried to pick off the tourists and the small dogs, while the tiny minibus which we spent most of the evening in, shuttling our bags from one full hotel to another, hurtled through the motorcyclists and counterfeit watch sellers at video game speeds. Somewhere not too far from here, towards the middle of the island, there may have been heaven on earth, but hell had certainly set up business on its porch.
The tourists with their cans of lager and their `Fuck off T-shirts were particularly familiar to anyone who has seen the English at play in Spain or Greece, but I suddenly realised as I watched this that for once I didn't need to hide myself away in embarrassment.
They weren't English. They were Australian.

#41089 - 18 Jan 07 07:17 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: Piss Salon]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I have British and Australian passports ..... double the shame

#41090 - 18 Jan 07 07:36 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: chewwyUK]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Perhaps they let you out with time off for good behaviour; you didn't develop an annoying accent, refused to sing "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi, oi, oi", and found the idea of banging your sister repugnent?

#41093 - 18 Jan 07 07:46 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Here we go. Adam's paydirt. Don't feel guilty about downloading an illegal version and printing it off. He's dead.

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:Avxgnvqs7UoJ:www.logix.cz/michal/Douglas_Adams/Douglas%2520Adams%2520-%2520Last%2520Chance%2520to%2520See.txt+quotes+douglas+adams+purple+faced+komodo&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4

#41099 - 18 Jan 07 10:56 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

that's just what I wrote in last week's Metro Mad!! The rank shitness of the Kuta/ Legian area was seriously doing my nut in this Xmas. An Australian Benidorm or Ibiza. awful....and I didn't get a sniff either

#41101 - 18 Jan 07 11:05 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: Roy's Hair]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
ah, you're so cynical Mr. Roy's Hair. i went to bali/kuta over xmas/new year, and i had a very nice time. blotting out the yeehaa's isn't that difficult.

see
http://www.jakchat.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/39711/page/1#Post39711

#41104 - 18 Jan 07 11:28 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

sorry. I'm just all Aussied out at the moment. Need to relax... The rest of Bali is still great though.

#41110 - 18 Jan 07 12:31 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: KuKuKaChu]
sloopy Offline
Member+

Loc: very bad part of town
indeed HE IS, kuku...

#41116 - 18 Jan 07 22:45 Re: Douglas Adams on Indonesians [Re: sloopy]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Nice link Piss....great reading

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop