Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40966 - 17 Jan 07 02:09 TEMPO/Astro TV Violating Regulation
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Astro TV Violating Regulation
Monday, 15 January, 2007 | 16:06 WIB

Tempo Interactive, Jakarta: Sofyan Djalil, the Information and Communication Minister, has said that the process of paid television services provided by PT Direct Vision (Astro TV) in Indonesia violates the broadcasting regulation.

This is because Astro broadcasts program from Malaysia live to its customers in Indonesia via the Measat satellite.

“Therefore the programs cannot be censored,” said Sofyan last weekend.

After receiving wave containing program materials from the Measat satellite, Astro should have used Indonesia's satellite after Astro's material had been censored.

The broadcasting regulation stipulates programs to be down-linked from foreign satellite to transmitters in Indonesia and up-linked again to satellites.

“This way the material transmitted to homes can first be censored,” he said.

Eko Nopiansyah

#40990 - 17 Jan 07 06:16 Re: TEMPO/Astro TV Violating Regulation [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
What to censored anyway if they're Malaysian programs? confused

#40992 - 17 Jan 07 06:24 Re: TEMPO/Astro TV Violating Regulation [Re: Just]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Just
What to censored anyway if they're Malaysian programs? confused

good point. the most exciting things on malaysian TV are indonesian sinetron! indigenous productions are mind-numbingly boring.

#40997 - 17 Jan 07 07:35 Re: TEMPO/Astro TV Violating Regulation [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
Precisely!

#41031 - 17 Jan 07 23:20 Re: TEMPO/Astro TV Violating Regulation [Re: Just]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
It's so silly to read stuff like this. Anybody with an operating brain knows what's really going on, especially the journos at Tempo, but they just tow the gov't line and the masses dutifully nod their heads like sheep.

Forget all the smokescreens about Malaysia, satellites and censorship. The story should have read like this:
-----------------------------------------

FOREIGN CO. BANNED FOR DARING TO OFFER A BETTER PRODUCT

Monday, 15 January, 2007 | 16:06 WIB

Tempo Interactive, Jakarta: Minister SoWant Jollies has announced that the bribes paid by Indovision and Kabelvision etc. were sufficient for him to ban Malaysia's Astro TV.

He is therefore honoring the request of the local Satellite TV companies to ban Astro, a higher quality foreign competitor, which has programs and stations and prices that are much better than the local providers'.

The minister also said he hoped it would send a strong message to other potential foreign companies, who might have had similar plans to improve the quality of life for citizens/consumers in Indonesia.

"We don't want some better foreign company coming in here and upsetting the corrupt monopolies that our local companies have, because their collusion and bribes to my department keeps the prices higher and quality lower and sticks it to local consumers. If a foreign company tries to give our people higher quality at lower prices we will find a way to get them banned," Jollies explained.

#41037 - 17 Jan 07 23:41 Re: TEMPO/Astro TV Violating Regulation [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

astro execs are on their way here from malaysia. it was just a matter of time before astro were knocked on the head. it's a wonder they have lasted this long, actually.

#41042 - 18 Jan 07 00:29 Re: TEMPO/Astro TV Violating Regulation [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
astro execs are on their way here from malaysia. it was just a matter of time before astro were knocked on the head. it's a wonder they have lasted this long, actually.

And the Headline should read:

ASTRO EXECS TO BEGIN NEGOTIATIONS ON AMOUNT OF BRIBES TO BE PAID

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop