Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40504 - 12 Jan 07 23:51 ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
From ABC http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1825713.htm

50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research

British research suggests that up to 50 per cent of business managers could have psychopathic or similar tendencies.

The study carried out by the British Psychological Society says such managers are often articulate and confident, but can be unpredictable, self indulgent and lacking in empathy.

Psychology Professor Adrian Furnham says manipulative characteristics are often rewarded in the business world.

"Beware of the following individual, the good looking, educated, articulate and very bold and self confident leader," he said.

"If somebody says to you 'I can take this company to the next level' beware, it might be a manifestation of narcissism rather than ability."

- BBC

#40505 - 12 Jan 07 23:53 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: KuKuKaChu]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
ok all you managers in JakChat; own up!

#40506 - 12 Jan 07 23:57 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
oh shit .. thats me!!

#40507 - 13 Jan 07 00:56 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: chewwyUK]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
OMG, really?!

#40528 - 13 Jan 07 02:12 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: dolphin]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Not me, I know I can get a job no-where!

#40570 - 13 Jan 07 04:33 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
American Psycho

#40575 - 13 Jan 07 04:54 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: Piss Salon]
The Prisoner Offline
Member+/-

Loc: United Kingdom
Here's another little fact I picked up with studying psychological criminology at Uni.

There was talk about putting certain "high-risk" offenders away before they'd even done anything. This was shelved for 2 reasons: 1st, it's unethical to lock someone up when they haven't actually done anything; 2, In th U.K. 1 person in 200 suffers from a psychopathic disorder. That's 0.5% - 300,000 people in the U.K. The idea arose in the U.S.A. (In th U.S. the figure is almost 1 person in 20 suffering from a psychopathic disorder. 5% = 12,500,000 people).

My point? Well, if I have one it's that no-one really agrees on what psychopathy is. It could be anyone from Norman Bates (except that was closer to Disassoicated Identity Disorder (multiple personalities) and sociopathy) to any person who doesn't empathise with others. Which we are all guilty of.

I just destroyed this thread.

I'm sorry.

Please, somebody, save it!
Dulce et decorum est pro sodomy coleslaw
It is sweet and proper to fuck coleslaw up the arse

#40576 - 13 Jan 07 05:23 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: The Prisoner]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Prisoner, have you ever met anybody with said disorders or did you just read about them in text books?

What do you do now? Teach English? ;-)

I am absolutely not pretending to be an expert in these matters, and I am not, but I once had a 'summer job' working as a nurse aid in a psychiatric hospital and, though admittedly they weren't very severe cases, I came to the rather rapid conclusion that it is a fine line between those considered mentally stable and those who are otherwise. In fact, I was working a bar at night and had to give up the day job because I could see very little difference between the patients and bar custom, particularly on busy nights. In short, it was doing my head in.

#40577 - 13 Jan 07 05:33 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
From ABC http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1825713.htm

50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research

"Beware of the following individual, the good looking, educated, articulate and very bold and self confident leader," he said.

"If somebody says to you 'I can take this company to the next level' beware, it might be a manifestation of narcissism rather than ability."

- BBC

Sounds exactly like my former Singaporean boss!

#40580 - 13 Jan 07 06:24 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
you know, WHY??? coz never say THANk GOD smile

#40582 - 13 Jan 07 06:39 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: Jokie Jokie Girl]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

My 10c worth (I majored in Psychology so its only worth 10 cents).

Mental instabilities, disorders, schizophrenia, etc, are far more common than we would know. We all live a fine balance. Stress, drug/alcohol abuse or emotional upset can push us beyond the boundaries of acceptable behavior.

I have mentioned before that we are all born schizophrenic. As children we have imaginary friends. See things, believe in ghosts and worry about shadows. Life experience normally reaches us to control these emotions and fears, although they still exist below the surface of our emotional control. A poor childhood such as abusive or uncaring parents can reduce our ability to control these emotions, and sadly sometimes we never get them under control.

But before you laugh at the mentally ill man talking to himself, ask yourself is your world real, or do you live in a make believe world like he does. You would never know……

#40586 - 13 Jan 07 07:38 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: Polar Bear]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

You are a Polar Bear and yet here we are engaged in simple communication. The vast majority of people on this planet would simply not believe this was possible.

#40598 - 13 Jan 07 22:20 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: Piss Salon]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand
I have mentioned before that we are all born schizophrenic. As children we have imaginary friends. See things, believe in ghosts and worry about shadows. Life experience normally reaches us to control these emotions and fears, although they still exist below the surface of our emotional control. A poor childhood such as abusive or uncaring parents can reduce our ability to control these emotions, and sadly sometimes we never get them under control.

What do you mean this happens in our childhood....welllll just last night//// naaaa thats another story

#40600 - 13 Jan 07 23:08 Re: ABC/50pc of managers could be psychopaths: research [Re: Polar Bear]
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: Polar Bear
But before you laugh at the mentally ill man talking to himself, ask yourself is your world real, or do you live in a make believe world like he does. You would never know……

It's been a week that all i want to do is stare and talk to the walls......and i haven't get enough yet.....;)

Moderator:  NetCop