Malik Award. In 2004 and 2005 it won under the best
newspaper category.

The ministry said the main criteria for the selection
of 2006 winners was an accurate presentation of the
facts, creating balanced and objective public opinion
and educating the public.

The ministry first presented the award to print and
electronic media in 2002. It takes its name from a
former foreign minister, who was also a journalist.

#40359 - 11 Jan 07 04:16 Re: JP/'Post' reporter wins 2006 Adam Malik Award [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
"The ministry said the main criteria for the selection of 2006 winners was an accurate presentation of the facts, creating balanced and objective public opinion and educating the public."

---- that is as long as those facts are exactly what the government wants you to hear. No wonder they won an award!

#40364 - 11 Jan 07 05:22 Re: JP/'Post' reporter wins 2006 Adam Malik Award [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The original New Order regime used the "stick" to dumb down society, the Neo-New Order now uses some "carrots" too.

#40365 - 11 Jan 07 05:28 Re: JP/'Post' reporter wins 2006 Adam Malik Award [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

And the intelligent, tough, professionally critical, investigative journos roll their eyes and throw in the towel and go flip burgers at McD's.

#40368 - 11 Jan 07 06:24 Re: JP/'Post' reporter wins 2006 Adam Malik Award [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I think that he's a good reporter (if not a bit close to Hassan Wirayuda) and the more like him that can be developed, nurtured and renumerated appropriately, the better. Good luck to him and I hope he sticks with it. Not only that, I hope he inspires others around him to lift their games.

The majority of journos have never been in it for the money. Most would say the excitement but many would admit at least secretly that it's about bragging rights. Nothing wrong with a little carrot in the form of recognition for a job well done. Look at media award ceremonies in most countries; lavish, pat-ourselves-on-the-back piss ups.

#40369 - 11 Jan 07 06:36 Re: JP/'Post' reporter wins 2006 Adam Malik Award [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Piss Salon
Look at media award ceremonies in most countries; lavish, pat-ourselves-on-the-back piss ups.

Which is exactly why all the REAL quality ones from those countries are not wanted, and end up free-lancing for a couple bucks for salon.com, MotherJones, slate, the onion... etc. Repressive governments like their mainstream media to be spineless brown-nosers.

The FOURTH ESTATE! Ha what a joke, even moreso because most mainstream journos around the world don't even know what the heck that is. A good book by Chomsky on this is called "Manufacturing Consent"

#40378 - 11 Jan 07 08:47 Re: JP/'Post' reporter wins 2006 Adam Malik Award [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I wouldn't say the major newspapers didn't have quality but I think you are right; the mainstream media is a copout, particularly during times of war, from the Crimean to the 'nam to the latest nameless, faceless fiasco.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop