Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40336 - 11 Jan 07 01:16 Modern Warfare.....
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Warfare is a complex thing. Organised warfare began in the Fertile Crescent of Assyria (1500BC). Prior to this it was a simple meeting of champions who would fight in single combat to decide issues. Homers Iliad gives us a good description.

The Asyrians were the first to organise themselves into bodies of infantry, charioteers, cavalry, archers, slingsmen etc. They played these bodies on the battlefield like chess pieces, and command and control became an integral part of warfare.

As warfare became more organized, rules and understandings came into being. Prisoners of war had rights, and were not mistreated. Non combatants were safe from harm. Looting was forbidden. The use of terror on the population was forbidden.

Move forward 3500 years, and we find ourselves in a difficult state of play. We expect to fight formal wars. We expect to fight by rules and standards. We protest about Guantanamo Bay detainees, and illegal workers shot by accident on the London underground.

But now we must fight 4th Generation warfare….

A rifle lies on a roadside. A 10 year old boy picks it up and shoots a soldier, then throws it down. By law he is not an organised combatant. He is a child, and a soldier risks trial for murder if he shoots him. You can only shoot him when he picks up the weapon to save your own life.

A group of terrorists place a rocket launcher next to a school. If you bomb the rocket launcher and kill the schoolchildren, you risk being tried for war crimes.

In order to win we are going to have to return to the days before “clean” warfare. We will have to accept “collateral damage”. We will have to accept wholesale slaughter of civilians. We will have to shoot “unorganized combatants” as easy as we shoot men in uniform – even if they are children.

We are going to have to lower our standards to those of the terrorists. We must act as they do, and we must make the moderates understand that it is the terrorists who bring down this evil upon them, not the West.

#40339 - 11 Jan 07 01:55 Re: Modern Warfare..... [Re: Polar Bear]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
The white middle-class liberals do a lot of good -- no question, but they naively play into the hands of the terrorists when they moan and whine about Israel taking out the rockets along with the kids. The terrorists are using these western libs like a sailor uses a cheap 3rd World whore.

#40341 - 11 Jan 07 02:04 Re: Modern Warfare..... [Re: riccardo]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

agree Ricc. What the Western military and politicians are paying is waiting for opportunities. The next big terror attack will see thousands wiped out overnight. The general public will be stil pissed off about a few hundred dead Australian plane passengers, and 200-300,000 Muslims will be fertilizer.

Seriously guys, that the plan….

#40342 - 11 Jan 07 02:04 Re: Modern Warfare..... [Re: Polar Bear]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Polar Bear
We will have to accept wholesale slaughter of civilians. We will have to shoot “unorganized combatants” as easy as we shoot men in uniform – even if they are children.

We are going to have to lower our standards to those of the terrorists. We must act as they do, and we must make the moderates understand that it is the terrorists who bring down this evil upon them, not the West.

That's the key. And it certainly will be much more effective. If *they* want an ugly war, then why should anybody hold back?

#40353 - 11 Jan 07 03:08 Re: Modern Warfare..... [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The motto of the AC130 gunship:
"You can run but you'll only die tired."

#40356 - 11 Jan 07 03:15 Re: Modern Warfare..... [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The A-10 "warthog" gunship sounds fun too: Its primary built-in weapon is the [b]30 mm GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun. One of the most powerful aircraft cannons ever flown, it fires large depleted uranium armor-piercing shells at a rate of about 3,900 rounds per minute[b] (50 rounds per second during the first second followed by 70 rounds per second). The massive shells and high muzzle velocity allow the Thunderbolt II to destroy heavily armored main battle tanks in as few as 6 direct hits.

And when there's a mob of RoP followers on the ground it can create a large, lovely pink cloud.

#40357 - 11 Jan 07 03:26 Re: Modern Warfare..... [Re: riccardo]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

There real interesting stuff is the genetic warfare being developed.

Want to wipe out anyone from a specific Lebanese village in the Baka Valley? They can do it now. Just release a virus, and it only affects certain genetic strains. All over the world, once it is released, decedents from that village drop dead.

It represents the ultimate threat. Not only does the terrorist die, but he dies knowing that all of his extended family will die with him.

And it can be “tuned” into pretty well any genetic strain. Not much use where open breeding has occurred – eg the West. But in interbred little community it is deadly….

#40383 - 11 Jan 07 09:57 Re: Modern Warfare..... [Re: Polar Bear]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Does it work on Polar Bears?

Moderator:  NetCop