Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40190 - 09 Jan 07 09:32 AdamAir Located?
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta

Underwater object found in Indonesia plane search
08 Jan 2007 10:44:30 GMT (17:44 Jakarta time)
Source: Reuters

By Ahmad Pathoni

MAKASSAR, Indonesia, Jan 8 (Reuters) - An Indonesian navy ship searching for a missing commercial airliner detected a large undersea object off the west coast of Sulawesi on Monday, but it has not been confirmed whether it was the plane.

The 17-year-old Boeing 737-400 operated by Indonesian budget carrier Adam Air went missing in bad weather a week ago after its pilot reported crosswinds and asked for safe coordinates from the airport in Makassar, Sulawesi island's largest city.

"We suspect that it was a metal object 1,050 metres (1,148 yards) under the sea off Mamuju. It could not be confirmed yet whether it was the Adam Air plane," Tony Syaiful, the spokesman of the navy's Eastern Fleet, told Jakarta-based Radio Elshinta.

Mamuju is a seaside town in West Sulawesi province.

The USNS Mary Sears, a U.S. ship with sonar capability and the ability to detect metal underwater, will arrive on Tuesday to join the search, which already includes at least four ships, two Indonesian air force planes, two helicopters, and thousands of troops and police on the ground.

#40191 - 09 Jan 07 09:57 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Local story translated:

The search for the aircraft of AdamAir KI 574 may have become a bit clearer.
A fisherman named Baharuddin attested to seeing a low-flying aircraft in the area where the metal at a depth of 1,500 meters has been detected by a Navy ship.
Experts now believe the aircraft AdamAir exploded and fell into sea off Mamuju, West Sulawesi.
Air Commodore Gatot Sudijanto compared the eyewitness' information with metal detected undersea by the KRI Fatahillah (navy ship) and believe they correlate.
"The metal was indeed found around the location that beforehand was told to us by the witness," said Gatot on Monday afternoon.
According to Gatot, in fact, many fishermen gave the same testimony.
And the commander said the testimonies indirectly were believed.
"We checked previously."
And the fisherman Baharuddin's information, corresponds to the boat's sighting, said Gatot.
Gatot did not remember for sure when Baharuddin's testimony was sent to the search team headquarters in Makassar.
Baharuddin claims he clearly saw the aircraft from the side as it headed to Mamuju flying very low around struck 14:30 (central indonesia time) on January 1.
After that, just before Mamuju Island, the aircraft again was seen turning to the west but continued to descend.
Two to three minutes later he heard a thunderous and hard explosion.
The site of the aircraft loss as told by Baharuddin, according to Gatot, indeed was in and around the discovery area of metal that was detected by the KRI Fatahillah's sonar.
At this time, The search HQ and the SAR Team still could not confirm whether the metal that was detected at 1,500 meters under sea was indeed the aircraft ruins of AdamAir or not.
To detect it, the search HQ was still waiting for the arrival of the US civilian (sic!!!, It's actually a US navy ship, but RI is very touchy about other people's military coming here, so local media just straight up lies about it) ship equipped with a better sonar system that will arrive off the coast on Tuesday (9/1/2007).
The US ship is sophisticated enough to clearly chart the seabead and can ascertain the status of this metal.

#40197 - 09 Jan 07 10:27 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Go to Google Earth or other satellite map and plug in these coordinates: -2° 41’ 0”, +118° 54’ 0”

Unfortunately, I can't put the pic up here, KUKU help.

The town on the coast is Mamuju, and it has a small airport. The island to the north is Mamuju Island.

#40199 - 09 Jan 07 10:43 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: riccardo]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Sound like the poor bugger was trying to make it to Mamuju.....

frown

#40201 - 09 Jan 07 10:48 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: Polar Bear]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Yes, he may have been doing just that, but it's extremely bizarre that he didn't/couldn't make contact with that airport!! Maybe it's so small it has no communications equipment or they had no idea what frequency each other was on.

#40202 - 09 Jan 07 10:50 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: Polar Bear]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Sounds like the poor bugger had no idea where the fuck he was.

#40206 - 09 Jan 07 12:00 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: riccardo
Go to Google Earth or other satellite map and plug in these coordinates: -2° 41’ 0”, +118° 54’ 0”

Unfortunately, I can't put the pic up here, KUKU help.

The town on the coast is Mamuju, and it has a small airport. The island to the north is Mamuju Island.

Attachments
367-aa.jpg

#40207 - 09 Jan 07 12:14 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
It was God's will obviously. Let's move on

#40212 - 09 Jan 07 16:19 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

kuku, you are about 100 miles off course! Mamuju is way north, slightly north of the top of that map you put up.

#40226 - 09 Jan 07 22:12 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: Roy's Hair]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Roy's hair
It was God's will obviously. Let's move on

The entire Indonesian problem is summed up in those to sentences:

Its Gods will.
Lets move on.

Its isn’t Gods will.

Its pisspoor maintenance. Its abysmal abeyance of safety procedures. Its blatant disregard for the safety of other people.

Gods will is the standard excuse when some poor bugger dies because some idle stupid Indonesian didn’t bother putting barriers cones and lights around the massive hole he just dug on the freeway.

Gods will is the standard excuse when some overloaded old truck with bald tyres and no brakes runs over some poor kid on the roadside.

Gods will is the standard excuse ever time some overloaded clapped out old ferry with no lifebelts sinks and a couple of hundred people drown.

Gods will is a cop out. (or God is a cruel asshole)

#40234 - 09 Jan 07 22:37 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

kuku, you are about 100 miles off course! Mamuju is way north, slightly north of the top of that map you put up.

i plugged the coordinates in exactly as you quoted them into google earth, but it doesn't seem to like that minus sign. when i worked around that problem, the location moved north alright, but on land, not over the sea or near any island.

are you sure about those coordinates?

#40253 - 09 Jan 07 23:40 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The coo
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

The coordinates are for Mamuju airport, which yes, is on land, albeit about 500 meters from the coast. The plane apparently went down just off the coast, possibly just south of Mamuju island, so the coordinates are not the exact crash site, just a reference.

#40277 - 10 Jan 07 02:30 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

The coo
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

The coordinates are for Mamuju airport, which yes, is on land, albeit about 500 meters from the coast. The plane apparently went down just off the coast, possibly just south of Mamuju island, so the coordinates are not the exact crash site, just a reference.

new map below. There is a small island just north of the coordinates.

Attachments
401-aa.jpg

#40278 - 10 Jan 07 02:38 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Stop the Presses

I found the bastard using google earth! Whats my prize!

Attachments
402-AdamAir1.jpg

#40291 - 10 Jan 07 07:19 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

And NOW THIS!!!!!

World News

Villager spots plane wreckage in Indonesian jungles: report

Jakarta, Jan 9: A villager in Indonesia's North Sulawesi province was reported Tuesday of having seen the wreckage of a white plane but it cannot be immediately confirmed that it was the Boeing 737-400 that went missing on Jan 1.

A man identified as Katili said he saw the wreckage while hunting wild boars in the jungles of Sangtombolang district on the northern coast of Sulawesi island and immediately told local police and military officers, reported leading news website Detikcom.

The search and rescue team was on the way to the said wreckage location.

#40294 - 10 Jan 07 07:33 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Roy's hair. Can you do us a favor mate and post your article from Sunday's post in a new thread here so I can have a gander please. There's a good dog.

#40295 - 10 Jan 07 07:59 Re: AdamAir Located? [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I found it for you Piss Salon:

Trains, planes and boats
Sunday, January 07, 2007

So, Indonesia has ushered in the New Year in time-honored fashion; namely with a few disasters. This year it was a plane crash and a ferry sinking. The Lord does indeed move in mysterious ways.

As I write this, I'm about 30,000 feet over Java, which is ultimately a pretty untenable position for a human being. This fact was brought home to all of us this week when a domestic flight went AWOL over Sulawesi. At the time of writing, the plane still had not been found. Presumably, it has splashed down in the big drink somewhere and sunk without a trace.

I first heard the story via a text message from a friend who sent me something like, "Adam Air flight just crashed, what airline are you coming back from Bali on?" to which I replied, "Er... Adam Air actually."

So here I am, a slightly anxious flier at the best of times, 8km up in the sky trying to sublimate my nervy aircraft neurosis by writing this and confronting the issue head on.

Is this to be the final curtain? Crash diving into the sea with only an piece of in-flight green cake to keep me company in the afterlife? To be fair to Adam though, I don't think I'd feel any less tense if I was aboard a Lion or Merpati flight.

They say that flying is, statistically speaking, the safest form of travel; however, I rather wonder how the numbers for this country stack up against global air accident figures. There have been a fair amount of Indonesian plane crashes in recent years, while only this week a Lion Air plane skidded off the runway at Ambon airport and a friend of mine's Adam Air flight to Batam was canceled because the plane needed repairs.

Bad weather and poor maintenance are usually blamed for crashes here and there is probably a bit of truth in both of these assessments. Weather-wise, those monsoon rains really do whip into the country hard, causing major drink-down-the-shirt, fork-in-the-eye turbulence during flights.

It was absolutely teeming down and blowing up a serious gale in Bali this week -- although I still managed to get enough sun to turn a not particularly attractive shade of lobster red. (I'll be seducing crabs by the bucketful this month if I make it back alive.)

As for plane maintenance, well who knows? Certainly the new breed of low-cost Indonesian domestic fliers tends to buy older, second-hand planes from the big airlines, which could be a factor. As for the actual maintenance itself, there are international safety rules and regulations, of course.

Although I can't seem to prevent my brain from conjuring up images of an oil stained, motorcycle repair-type bengkel shack at the side of the runway, and a smiling mechanic running out with a spanner in one hand and a tube of superglue in the other shouting, "Rp 200,000 I fix jet, ya?"

It all seems so straightforward when you board a flight, doesn't it? A perma-chirpy stewardess will inform you that in the event of a water landing, jolly yellow inflatable slides will pop out and you can slide down and have a nice splash around in the water until help arrives. It never seems to work out like that in real crashes does it?

If we do start to go down though, I'll be making a grab for the old oxygen mask before you can say, "Please fasten your seatbelts." Hopefully the gas will induce a euphoric high in my brain, and I'll accept my fate with stoic calm and a goofy smile as we tailspin into the sea at 500km/h.

One has more chance of surviving a ferry sinking of course, and indeed a couple hundred brave souls on the ferry that sank off the coast of Java just after Christmas did manage to stick it out for a few days before being rescued.

There are safety and maintenance issues with Indonesia's Pelni ferry fleet too, though. Many of the ships are pretty old and rusty, and there is a propensity to overload them and exceed their maximum capacity.

However, unlike passengers on the Titanic or on that boat that went down in Estonia's freezing waters a few years ago, at least you can survive in Indonesia's stormy but warm seas for a few hours or even days without succumbing to hypothermia ... if you can swim, that is.

And therein lies a major catch for many Indonesians I fear. If a ship full of non-swimmers goes down, you're going to see the worst side of human nature and this is apparently what happened during the recent sinking; grown men kicking old grannies aside and fighting for the life vests. It sure ain't pretty.

So where does that leave us? Well, there are always the trains. The romance of rail travel is perhaps being left behind in our mad rush for cheap flights and our desire to arrive before we depart. There's a proper rail network only on Java, but there are some fantastic views to be seen, particularly in the mountainous East and West of the island.

You can relax supine in air-conditioned comfort with a plate of fried rice and a can of Bintang beer from the dining car and watch the world go by at a relatively sedate pace.

Nevertheless, Indonesian trains do occasionally crash or derail, so again we return to the issue of safety. On the minus side, some of those railway viaducts consist only of 150m high stilts supporting bare railroad ties. To look out of the window as you pass over one of these faux bridges can be an unnerving and vertiginous experience, especially when your car starts to tilt at a 20-degree angle.

On the plus side though, when Indonesian trains do occasionally plow into stalled public minivans at level crossings, it's usually the minivans that come off the worse for wear.

Intercity buses? These can also be perilous, as drivers wired on Krating Daeng and over-the-counter, ephedrine-laced asthma pills get that king-of-the-road, overconfident vibe going and plunge off the edge of mountain passes at 80km/h.

Back to Adam Air reality though. I have just landed safely (obviously, or you wouldn't be reading this, now would you?)

Now to get an airport taxi into town. This could be my most dangerous mission yet.

-- Simon Pitchforth

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop