There was a very interesting commentary in THE POINT today discussing ADAMAIR et al (here are the key excerpts as they don't have website to copy/paste from and I'm not going to type all 30 paragraphs):

THE MAKING OF A FAILED STATE

by Lukman Hakim

(lead paragraph)
In the past week Indonesia has come under heavy coverage from the foreign media, albeit over events we prefer not to have taken place.

~....
(key point in middle)
While accidents happen all the time, even in countries known for their best management practices, what distinguishes Indonesia from others is the incompetent ways we handle them.
This is hardly an original observation of the way things are done in a Third World nation permeated with rampant corruption and an inept bureaucracy.
Lump that together in a basket with the nation's political realm marked by politicians seeking nothing else but money and power, and business world that has no moral qualms in sacrificing human lives for a quick buck, you have what amounts to the making of a failed state.

~...

(conclusion)
It is unfortunate that flaws in the system, from the top all the way to the bottom, come into clearer view only after the tragic events that claim many human lives take place. It is also disturbing to know we are actually much "sicker" than we are prepared to admit.