Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40123 - 08 Jan 07 21:28 Indonesia and Ebay
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

On of the most prominent things on Ebay is the ďno sale to IndonesiaĒ comments under many posts. Apparently this is because in the past payment has not been received. But most sellers demand payment up front before delivery. So what is going on?

Do Indonesians rip of Ebay sellers?

Is it the more recent arrivals in Indonesia?

Can someone tell me please?

#40125 - 08 Jan 07 22:21 Re: Indonesia and Ebay [Re: Polar Bear]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I am just guessing here PB but I think it is probably something to do with the ability for people to seek legal avenues should fraud take place. It could also be something to with the difficulties in shipping things to and from Indonesia (delays, things going missing and payments being asked for)

I really do wish that something could be sorted out with Indonesia and E-bay as it could really give a boost to small / mid-sized craft and furniture companies. Can you imagine how well Indonesian furniture would do on e-bay!! Somebody could make serious amounts of money.

#40126 - 08 Jan 07 22:30 Re: Indonesia and Ebay [Re: chewwyUK]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: chewwyUK
I really do wish that something could be sorted out with Indonesia and E-bay as it could really give a boost to small / mid-sized craft and furniture companies. Can you imagine how well Indonesian furniture would do on e-bay!! Somebody could make serious amounts of money.

Chewwy - I was thinking the same thing. Indonesia is missingout in the grass roots level E comerce world, and that is exactly where it would help the most.

(you didnt reply to my PM? Was it that boring smile )

#40127 - 08 Jan 07 22:31 Re: Indonesia and Ebay [Re: chewwyUK]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
it's not just ebay. for many years now there has been an "unofficial" blanket ban by US credit card service providers on accepting credit cards issued in indonesia, including those issued by international banks.

nearly every single week, i get enquiries from the US and Europe asking me to verify the bonefides of some company based in indonesia, and in 100% of cases they are frauds.

#40129 - 08 Jan 07 22:38 Re: Indonesia and Ebay [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

So how does the average Indoesian get by? No credit cards I assume?

So who is doing all this fraud? Nigerians? Bules? Ayams?

Is it organised crime? And why, instead of persecuting Playboy in a clsoed court, doesnt the government fix the problem?

#40144 - 09 Jan 07 02:43 Re: Indonesia and Ebay [Re: Polar Bear]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
PB -- i think it has to do with international agreements etc. The problem is e-bay take no responsibility for any fraud which happens on their site. However this does not stop people complaining when they get taken for a ride.

Its a shame that people donít understand that the types of business practices used by SOME Indonesians causes so much damage to their country. Can you imagine how much more money would flow in to Indonesia if investors didnít have to worry about being ripped off and government corruption? Imagine how exports would grow if people could rely on things being delivered on time, on budget and to the standards promised!

#40148 - 09 Jan 07 02:56 Re: Indonesia and Ebay [Re: chewwyUK]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I look at the poeple struggling to survive, and I can see how trade could help them, then I see this mess.

One day I will take a year of work and try to do something for Indonesia.

#41258 - 19 Jan 07 08:47 Re: Indonesia and Ebay [Re: chewwyUK]
Ari Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Quoting: chewwyUK

Its a shame that people donít understand that the types of business practices used by SOME Indonesians causes so much damage to their country. Can you imagine how much more money would flow in to Indonesia if investors didnít have to worry about being ripped off and government corruption? Imagine how exports would grow if people could rely on things being delivered on time, on budget and to the standards promised!

What you said. I'm surprised that there is so little awareness among Indonesians about this. Indonesia is almost a mini-Nigeria in terms of Internet fraud, and the authorities are doing nothing to stop it.

Moderator:  NetCop