#40085 - 08 Jan 07 10:26 The spoils of Iraq war
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
This from the Independent.

How the West will make a killing on Iraqi oil riches
By Danny Fortson, Andrew Murray-Watson and Tim Webb
Published: 07 January 2007

Iraq's massive oil reserves, the third-largest in the world, are about to be thrown open for large-scale exploitation by Western oil companies under a controversial law which is expected to come before the Iraqi parliament within days.

The US government has been involved in drawing up the law, a draft of which has been seen by The Independent on Sunday. It would give big oil companies such as BP, Shell and Exxon 30-year contracts to extract Iraqi crude and allow the first large-scale operation of foreign oil interests in the country since the industry was nationalised in 1972.

The huge potential prizes for Western firms will give ammunition to critics who say the Iraq war was fought for oil. They point to statements such as one from Vice-President Dick Cheney, who said in 1999, while he was still chief executive of the oil services company Halliburton, that the world would need an additional 50 million barrels of oil a day by 2010. "So where is the oil going to come from?... The Middle East, with two-thirds of the world's oil and the lowest cost, is still where the prize ultimately lies," he said.

Oil industry executives and analysts say the law, which would permit Western companies to pocket up to three-quarters of profits in the early years, is the only way to get Iraq's oil industry back on its feet after years of sanctions, war and loss of expertise. But it will operate through "production-sharing agreements" (or PSAs) which are highly unusual in the Middle East, where the oil industry in Saudi Arabia and Iran, the world's two largest producers, is state controlled.

Opponents say Iraq, where oil accounts for 95 per cent of the economy, is being forced to surrender an unacceptable degree of sovereignty.

Proposing the parliamentary motion for war in 2003, Tony Blair denied the "false claim" that "we want to seize" Iraq's oil revenues. He said the money should be put into a trust fund, run by the UN, for the Iraqis, but the idea came to nothing. The same year Colin Powell, then Secretary of State, said: "It cost a great deal of money to prosecute this war. But the oil of the Iraqi people belongs to the Iraqi people; it is their wealth, it will be used for their benefit. So we did not do it for oil."

Supporters say the provision allowing oil companies to take up to 75 per cent of the profits will last until they have recouped initial drilling costs. After that, they would collect about 20 per cent of all profits, according to industry sources in Iraq. But that is twice the industry average for such deals.

Greg Muttitt, a researcher for Platform, a human rights and environmental group which monitors the oil industry, said Iraq was being asked to pay an enormous price over the next 30 years for its present instability. "They would lose out massively," he said, "because they don't have the capacity at the moment to strike a good deal."

Iraq's Deputy Prime Minister, Barham Salih, who chairs the country's oil committee, is expected to unveil the legislation as early as today. "It is a redrawing of the whole Iraqi oil industry [to] a modern standard," said Khaled Salih, spokesman for the Kurdish Regional Government, a party to the negotiations. The Iraqi government hopes to have the law on the books by March.

Several major oil companies are said to have sent teams into the country in recent months to lobby for deals ahead of the law, though the big names are considered unlikely to invest until the violence in Iraq abates.

James Paul, executive director at the Global Policy Forum, the international government watchdog, said: "It is not an exaggeration to say that the overwhelming majority of the population would be opposed to this. To do it anyway, with minimal discussion within the [Iraqi] parliament is really just pouring more oil on the fire."

Vince Cable, the Liberal Democrat Treasury spokesman and a former chief economist at Shell, said it was crucial that any deal would guarantee funds for rebuilding Iraq. "It is absolutely vital that the revenue from the oil industry goes into Iraqi development and is seen to do so," he said. "Although it does make sense to collaborate with foreign investors, it is very important the terms are seen to be fair."

#40087 - 08 Jan 07 10:34 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Piss Salon]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Sadly Piss, I think it is correct. The whole thing was/is about oil.... frown

#40088 - 08 Jan 07 10:45 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Polar Bear]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

No shit

#40089 - 08 Jan 07 10:49 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Piss Salon]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

You mean we were lied to?

Bugger....

#40091 - 08 Jan 07 11:26 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Polar Bear]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
yes just about oil. as in indonesia, anyone can kill anyone just because very small money. i seen on tv. poor things. this world being crazy, we can see war weather in some countries, especialy in indonesia. i hope the end of the world not coming soon.
peace!

#40092 - 08 Jan 07 11:32 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: dolphin]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Coklat - the world is crazy becuase you live in Queensland.

If you move south it looks a lot better smile

(Where are you?)

#40094 - 08 Jan 07 11:46 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Polar Bear]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

polar bear hahahaha...
i'm in gold coast, nice place lol wink

#40095 - 08 Jan 07 11:49 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: dolphin]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: coklat
polar bear hahahaha...
i'm in gold coast, nice place lol wink

Ahhhh - lot of Polar Bears at the Gold Coast Sea World.

(And lot of cute Japanese girls as well... :))

#40097 - 08 Jan 07 11:59 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Polar Bear]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

South is too cold. Freezing. Snow on Christmas day in Victoria and Tassie. Much nicer to have parrots than pengiuns...hehehe

#40098 - 08 Jan 07 12:03 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Polar Bear]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Oh my goodness gracious sakes alive! You mean to tell me that the nice, democratic USA conquered Iraq in order to harvest all that oil wealth? Say it isn't so, Oh my Lord, what a tragedy! I'm going to quit watching American TV and movies, quit eating at American restaurants, burn my Levi's and and and... that'll teach 'em.

Seriously, were any of you people under the misguided impression that it was anything else? So FRIGGIN' WHAT -- the country with the strongest military has barged in and conquered another country to acquire its vital resources. That must be the first time in world history that such a thing has occurred!!! NOT

Get over it gang, the world is not nearly as nice and civilized and liberal as a very tiny minority of folks in W. Europe, N. America and the antipodes wish it to be.

In 20 years the wars will be for water and I'm betting that the country(s) with the strongest military will take those resources from the countries that have it but can't defend it. Call it "might is right" or "the law of the jungle" or whatever, but that is the reality.

Sure, liberal-minded people will and should whinge and whine and moan about it, but please don't be surprised by it, that'd be way too naive.

#40100 - 08 Jan 07 12:13 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: riccardo]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

The problem is that America paid to set up Saddam and overthrow the previous Iraqi governments and other countries have to lose their own people to help America fix up their fuck ups. The world would be a much better place without America.

#40101 - 08 Jan 07 12:14 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: dolphin]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

That last one from coklat husband!

#40104 - 08 Jan 07 12:25 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: dolphin]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

No shit

#40105 - 08 Jan 07 12:30 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Piss Salon]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Bush and little Johnnie Howard with Baby Blair trying to have a threesome??!!!
Coklat husband writes..

#40106 - 08 Jan 07 12:30 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Where abouts on the Gold Coast? My mother lives there. Met a Queensland cowboy on the Internet, to the eternal shame of her children. And yes, he's called Mick.

#40107 - 08 Jan 07 12:34 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Piss Salon]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

North Goldy. Why the shame?

#40108 - 08 Jan 07 12:35 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Australia massively overestimates its worth in the world Mr Husband. Howard? Who? Howard the Duck?

#40109 - 08 Jan 07 12:38 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

We come from an educated well respected family who simply don't tolerate any association with cowboys, let alone of the Australian variety.

#40110 - 08 Jan 07 12:44 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Piss Salon]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Howard the wanker. Ozzie PM. Mate, all most aussies want is a cold beer and a couple a prawns on the bbq. Climate is great, life is relaxed, and if we could could just get rid of the pollies it'd be nirvana. I agree but, too loud voice. Something an old Indo foreign affairs minister (Ali Atlas) said comes to mind..." Remember if you point a finger at someone u got three other fingers pointing back at you ( try it now). If u cant answer those three coming back at ya shut up. A message for all government in the world, including yours (and especially aust.)

#40111 - 08 Jan 07 12:45 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

And especially when said Cowboys are, how do you say it in Australia, "porking" one's mother.

#40112 - 08 Jan 07 12:46 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: dolphin]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Get off ya high horse!

#40113 - 08 Jan 07 12:50 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: dolphin]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
A former acquaintance in japan once got off on a high horse.

#40114 - 08 Jan 07 13:05 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: riccardo]
turtle Offline

Loc: australia/indo
"Porking one's mother"? (Piss Salon)Must be an English man with a gold lined carrot up his arse. One might say that Saddam was a bit to rash, trying to steal all that naughty oil what!!! Oh well, a couple of kippers and a slight peck on the cheek. Sorry about ol mums, service is better in australia hey. Maybe Mr. Riccardo has a story to share!

#40115 - 08 Jan 07 13:20 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I am taking the piss husband. Mick's a great guy who can do my mother anally for all I care.

Anyway, let your wife back on the net and stop hogging it.

#40116 - 08 Jan 07 13:31 Re: The spoils of Iraq war [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Don't be so presumptious you pretend aquatic reptile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop