Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39833 - 03 Jan 07 06:38 Another day another disaster
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
If it weren't for Saddam and Somalia, Indonesia would be dominating global headlines with the continuing spate of disasters, none of which can be classified as natural.

I don't know the exact tally as it stands but it is something like:

Ferry disasters: 3 or 4
Landslides: 1 (West Sumatra)
Flashflooding/landslides: 1 (Aceh/North Sumatra/Riau)
Plane crash: 1

What is your money on next?(Other than politicians failing to take any concrete steps to prevent further 'mishaps'.)

I go for a fully laden bus being t-boned on a level crossing by a packed economy-class train, which then derails and plummets down a ravine.

#39857 - 03 Jan 07 13:21 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I was wrong:

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 11:49 IST

Email Article Print Article
Most Emailed Articles RSS Feed
Most Viewed Articles Search This Site

JAKARTA: Fifteen people were reportedly killed when a speed boat carrying 25 people capsized in the seas off the island of Borneo.

Ten people were rescued after the accident yesterday in the Java Sea off the Indonesian province of Central Kalimantan, the Antara News agency said, citing a provincial government spokesman.

A ferry sailing between Borneo and the central Indonesian island of Java sank in rough seas late Friday.

Search and rescue teams were today continuing the search for survivors, with around 200 of the 600 people on board rescued so far.

#39858 - 03 Jan 07 14:36 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Indonesia's finest. Let us spare a moment for family members of the victims who have been waiting for around 24 hours at the airport praying their loved ones numbered among the "12 survivors".

Crashed AdamAir plane has yet to be found
MAKASSAR, South Sulawesi (Antara): Hasanuddin Air Force Base chief Cmdr. Eddy Suyanto declared Tuesday that AdamAir Boeing 737-400 that went missing Monday has yet to be found.

"Earlier reports saying that the ill-fated airplane was already found with 90 victims and 12 survivors are not true," Eddy -- flanked by Transportation Minister Hatta Radjasa -- told the media.

Eddy suspected the false information was being circulated by certain irresponsible parties.

#39859 - 03 Jan 07 14:46 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

And it gets worse.

There are hundreds of potential survivors (400) floating in the sea -- in fact they are drifting in an easterly direction toward -- not far from the Eastern Fleet's naval base in Surabaya and which direction do the Navy set out to sea? You guessed it. The other way. The 'journalist' does not ask the question, "Why do you not aid in the search for survivors instead of cocking your leg over Papua you fucking dog?"

The death toll officially yesterday stood at 12, with only a dozen bodies having been recovered from the sea, though many more have been sighted drifting eastwards. A total of 208 people have been rescued while a further 408 remain missing.

Due to the flow of the current and movement of the victims, Minister of Transportation Hatta Radjasa said yesterday that the crisis center would be moved to Surabaya, east of site where the ferry went down.

Meanwhile, the Indonesian Navy was reported by Antara as saying yesterday that it would carry through with its plans for naval exercises in Arafura and Kaimana in Papua on Jan. 5-8 despite the “unfriendly” weather.

Navy Headquarters spokesman Comm. Slamet Yulistiyono made no mention of diverting the Eastern Fleet to help aid in the search for survivors of the disaster that has made headlines around the world.

#39869 - 03 Jan 07 23:32 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Piss Salon]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
curiously also, the crash of the aircraft -- 90 lives lost -- has recieved far more coverage than the ferry disasters -- 400+ lives lost.

as professor julius sumner millar used to say, "why is this so?".

#39884 - 04 Jan 07 04:01 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
You don't know why ?
Because any aircrash causes all the barrack room lawyers and air safety experts (those who have taken more than 3 flights ) to stand in their pulpits and lecture about the crash being down to poor maintenance etc .
Everyone becomes an expert on airframes and servicing as soon as they have worked out how to stow the tray table and return their seats to the upright position .

The 737 is a fairly bullet proof aircraft - 45000 hours is nothing for it - what matters is cycles - take off and landings plotted against airframe age - notwithstanding of course local conditions . The 737 is fairly much glued together - yes , of course there are cherrylok fasteners , but these only hold the skin together while the adhesive are curing in the majority of areas . Should for any reason a patch or skin repair need to be made , then the local conditions have a huge bearing on the efficiency of that repair , if the repair is porous , then after a while , the bond breaks and pop - up to a point anyway - there are "rip stops" in the skin , designed to allow a section to blow off , without the whole skin peeling back like a banana .
50,000 cycles , and things start coming unglued.

Because an aircraft doesn't have a majot overhaul in a year means nothing , so long as the aircraft is being flown inside its COA , then inspections are all that is necessary unless there are any bulletins issued , which depending on the severity may or may not have to be complied with . As soon as hours and cycles are reached , then an overhaul will be be due - surely we don't think an aircraft need an oilchange , plugs and points every 6000 miles ?

So , back to the plot - why did it come down ? well we don't know , as far as I can see , it could still be up there .
It is truly amazing that they claim it was found , when they had nothing -

Equally amazing is that knowing that the budget carriers can't keep an aircraft in the air for an hour for 150,000 rp/pax - bule still get on the things - a 737 will burn about 2500kg/hr of JET A1 - I don't know what they pay for it , but you can do some maths as to how much the flight makes , and it is very little .

With this in mind , if westerners don't seem to care about getting on a 15 year old 737 that looks the worse for wear - is it any wonder that our corrupt brothers skimp on the servicing .

Considering the weather conditions in asia , and the low standard of navigation equipment and yes , servicing , it is amazing that there are not more accidents .
Incidentally top of the world rankings last year with 6 commercial losses was the USA .

#39895 - 04 Jan 07 06:53 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

It is true the higher the level of technology involved in any accident corresponds with a higher news worthiness.

The USA would be top of that list I am sure because of the frequency of flights. Though I don't know what I am talking about because I have only flown twice.

Flew on Adam last week to Singers and was complaining about it over a few beers when I got back. Seemed to be a general consensus among those that had flown more than thrice that pilots of low-budget airlines, in order to save fuel and time, punched straight through storms rather than going around them; hence flights were bumpier, more dangerous etc. I don't know if this argument has any validity but it sounded good at the time.

#39902 - 04 Jan 07 08:06 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Flying only twice doesn't make you stupid , I would contend that it also doesn't make you Charles Lindburg , my point was that people quickly become bar room experts on mechanical doo-dahs with red hot arses , because there is an element of sexiness - in appearing to sound like you know what a CFM56 is - just as one of the beasts doesn't land so well , everybody and their mother was either just about to catch that same flight and missed it , had a friend who just got off it before turnaround , once saw it flying overhead making a terrible racket and scaring the children .

Depending on how you look at it - the fact that you flew to singapore at least means the plane is under the jursidiction of the Singaporean CAA , which may or may not be a good thing - at least they have the power to ground it .

To be honest , you would have trouble going around a storm in that neck of the woods , up and over is the way to go - but dependent on passenger and fuel load , this may be a rather hard thing to do - they almost certainly won't want to refuel in singapore because of cost , so they will head out and back on 5500kg of squirt , add to this 25 goats and lord knows what else , he may well be right up to his MTOW . Trying to climb quickly would then be out of the question .

The 737 is of course a little bird in relation to its bigger brothers who do have the endurance to fly over a storm .
Another issue is the level of instrumentation that a 17 year old aircraft may be fitted with - that is a busy bit of airspace , and Changi may well not allow him to climb to FL30-35 where much faster traffic is .

One good check to see if a pilot is under instructions to treat the airframe sweet is to listen at take-off if he very slowly advances the thrust until the aircraft is pretty well underway - then opens them wide , firstly , he has enough runway to play with , but more importantly he is attempting to stop the engines dropping of the wings - you can guess that you are on a buddy holly special if this is the case .

There was an issue a while back with Starboard side galley doors dropping off - which would tend to have a disasterous effect on the level of inflight service (you probably wouldn't notice on a British Airways flight apart from the cold)

All in all , there is so many things it could be - despite the "technology" , ther repair techniques would make you cringe in some cases - a hole in a panel (common on 737 wings and tyre wells) may be repaired with snot like car body filler -

Having a chat with a pilot once , and comparing wages ( about 250 GBP/Hr at that time) - mentioned that ground engineers had as much responsibility in keeping the thing in the air as a pilot in their own way - as he pointed out , you are unlikely to get lost taxiing the thing out to stand , and it doesn't really matter if you run out of fule on the apron .I suppose he had a point .

#39917 - 04 Jan 07 15:45 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Hanratty. Who claims "there is an element of sexiness - in appearing to sound like you know what a CFM56 is"?

Doesn't do much for me mate but whatever floats your boat brother. Or sinks it.

I did however once hop from Sabang into Banda Aceh after the tsunami on an aging RI AF hercules and thought I would end up with the thousands of bodies floating in the ocean below. In the aftermath of the disaster and the desperation of survivors I couldn't quite work out why they allocated me and a lot of blokes in flowing white robes space on the flight given the need for emergency supplies. I shit you not when I tell you I was nestled in plastic tubing atop an empty crate fearing I would die as metal panelling worked itself loose on the insides of the plane.

#39923 - 04 Jan 07 23:14 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Piss Salon]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ahhhh Fat Albert Airways (Flying in a Herc).

They are pretty well indestructible.

#39925 - 04 Jan 07 23:21 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: James Hanratty
You don't know why ?
Because any aircrash causes all the barrack room lawyers and air safety experts (those who have taken more than 3 flights ) to stand in their pulpits and lecture about the crash being down to poor maintenance etc .

James, is there any subject upon which you are not an authority?

#39931 - 04 Jan 07 23:42 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Polar Bear]
Squirrel Offline
Member+

CFM International CFM56 series engines is a family of high-bypass turbofan engines made by CFM International and has a thrust range from 18,500 to 34,000 lbf (82 kN to 151 kN). CFM International is a 50-50 joint company of Snecma, France and GE-Aviation, U.S.A. Both companies are responsible for producing various components, with each having their own final assembly line. GE is responsible for the high pressure compressor, combustor and high pressure turbine, while Snecma is responsible for the fan, low pressure turbine, the gearbox and the exhaust.

The CFM56 is one of the most prolific engine types in the world because of its long history starting with the Boeing 737-300. The 737 family has solely relied on the CFM56 for more than 25 years, and still powers the newest variants, the 737-900ER and 737-700ER. The engine is also an option on Airbus A320 series (including the A318, A319, and A321.) It is also the sole powerplant of the A340-300.

In U.S. Air Force use, the CFM56 has the designation of General Electric F108.

#39936 - 05 Jan 07 00:10 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Squirrel]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I am a know-it-all arsehole - picked up the technique from you - difference is Ross - I actually know what I am talking about - I don't need ^c^v .

I'm hoping to become a complete idiot one day

It was quite a perceptive comment though wasn't it ? Don't tell me you were a Tiffie as well ?

Broken your New Year Resolution already Ross .

Your mate sends her regards - you know , the one you were a copy editor for .

Mind you don't trip over any 3 legged camels - and you were one of the clever ones ?

#39938 - 05 Jan 07 00:13 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I was just asking a civilised question James, no need to get upset mate.

tell me, have you ever been bankrupt james?

#39958 - 05 Jan 07 04:43 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

A rather strange question Ross , no , have you ? and I don't mean morally bankrupt either - that is already confirmed

did you have a secret peak in the gazette then ?

#39960 - 05 Jan 07 04:50 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Nope, never been bankrupt.

And no, what is in the gazette that I should look at? You have to help me here Fred. Im only a Polar Bear....

#39965 - 05 Jan 07 05:13 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Oh yes , forgive me , I forgot .

Do you know what the Gazette is then Bear - no porkies now ?

You were going to let me know who I was by PM - don't disappoint now .

Your mate sounded ever so perky the other day .

#39966 - 05 Jan 07 05:17 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

no, as I say, I am just a Polsr Bear, you have ot explian it to me.

i thought I didnt have mates? Who can it be???

You shagging Lina from the Sportsmans? Be careful, that girl is a handful...

#39967 - 05 Jan 07 05:24 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

No , think again - never been there , remember , I am not a jakarta local -

Quite a chick this one - and a personal recomendation as I understand - you have been about a bit .

#39968 - 05 Jan 07 05:28 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

OK, lets see, is she Korean, japanese, Chinese or Thai?

Please god dont tell me she is filipino.... frown

#39969 - 05 Jan 07 05:32 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

come on old chap - you are slacking , she is indonesian - and looking at her , I would say a bit sundanese .Looks balinese , but not so dark .

Make up by artex - you know the one .

#39972 - 05 Jan 07 06:56 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Have I fucked her?

#39987 - 05 Jan 07 09:28 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Polar Bear]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ross , you fuck most people in a biblical way - she hasn't mentioned it - but maybe .
She certainly has a lot to say about you though , and I have to add , all positive -

Must be your life experience .

#39988 - 05 Jan 07 09:43 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Squirrel]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Fred Google
CFM International CFM56 series engines is a family of high-bypass turbofan engines made by CFM International and has a thrust range from 18,500 to 34,000 lbf (82 kN to 151 kN). CFM International is a 50-50 joint company of Snecma, France and GE-Aviation, U.S.A. Both companies are responsible for producing various components, with each having their own final assembly line. GE is responsible for the high pressure compressor, combustor and high pressure turbine, while Snecma is responsible for the fan, low pressure turbine, the gearbox and the exhaust.

The CFM56 is one of the most prolific engine types in the world because of its long history starting with the Boeing 737-300. The 737 family has solely relied on the CFM56 for more than 25 years, and still powers the newest variants, the 737-900ER and 737-700ER. The engine is also an option on Airbus A320 series (including the A318, A319, and A321.) It is also the sole powerplant of the A340-300.

In U.S. Air Force use, the CFM56 has the designation of General Electric F108.

Stop it Google. You are making Hanratty horny. He is reaching for his lube kit as I type.

#39989 - 05 Jan 07 09:49 Re: Another day another disaster [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Too right old chap - I actually wanted to buy a ground running Rover APT - they are so sexy when the spool up .

Got to be careful though - could suck the fur straight off your polar bear - and it would end up being exposed for what it really is - not to mention what it would do to your compressor .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop