Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39787 - 03 Jan 07 01:06 Indonesian Air Disasters
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Authorities have now confirmed that at least 90 people died in the Adam Air crash in Sulawesi. I went to Singapore last week aboard Adam Air and we had to make an emergency landing back in Jakarta after some communications/electrical stuff failed.

Following is a list of some of Indonesia's recent air disasters. I know there were more, particularly 2 or 3 in Papua, I'll find those later.

* Sept. 26, 1997 - A Garuda Airbus A-300B4 crashes in a mountainous area of northern Sumatra near Medan. All 222 passengers and 12 crew are killed in Indonesia's worst air disaster.

* Dec 19, 1997 - All 104 people on board a Singapore SilkAir Boeing 737-300 are killed when it crashes near the Sumatran city of Palembang.

* Oct. 12, 2004 - An Indonesian military helicopter crashes in the northern separatist province of Aceh on Sumatra, killing all eight soldiers on board, with bad weather a possible cause.

* Nov. 30, 2004 - A Lion Air MD-82 plane carrying 146 passengers and seven crew skids off a rain-slick runway at Solo in central Java, killing 31 people and injuring dozens.

* Dec. 23, 2004 - An Indonesian military helicopter crashes in Central Java province, killing all 14 air force personnel on board. Bad weather was cited as the cause.

* April 2, 2005 - A Sea King helicopter on an aid mission goes down on Indonesia's quake-hit Nias island in Australia's worst post-Vietnam War operational loss of military personnel, killing nine.

* Sept. 5, 2005 - A Boeing 737-200 belonging to Indonesian carrier Mandala Airlines, crashes in a residential area of Indonesia's third biggest city Medan, killing 102 aboard and 47 local residents in an inferno on the ground.

* Jan 1, 2007 - Contact is lost with an Adam Air passenger plane flying from Surabaya to Manado with 96 passengers and six crew on board.

#39791 - 03 Jan 07 01:30 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Other crashes:
November 17, 2006 - Trigana Air Service de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter. The aircraft struck a mountain seven minutes before it was scheduled to land in the remote Indonesian province of Papua. All 12 people aboard were killed.

February 22, 2005 Off Sarmi, Indonesia Sarmi, Indonesia
Indonesian National Police -- CASA 212 Aviocar. On final approach, the aircraft crashed into the sea 100 meters off shore, 400 meters short of runway, 18 killed.

April 12, 2005 --Enarotali, Indonesia, GT Air, de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter 100. The plane crashed while en route on a one hour flight. The wreckage was found 5 days later along with the 18 bodies, none survived.

#39816 - 03 Jan 07 04:33 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

This little tidbit from the latest Reuters report about the Adam Air crash speaks volumes:

"The transport ministry said the plane was airworthy and last serviced in December 2005. It had 45,371 flying hours and, according to Adam Air, the 17-year-old aircraft's engines are CFM56-3C1 models made by General Electric, said Ikhsan Tatang, head of the ministry's aviation directorate."

---------

If you're counting, that's 13 months since it was last serviced!!! How in the heck can he say it was "airworthy" if nobody had checked in 13 months??! Good Gracious sakes.

#39820 - 03 Jan 07 05:09 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I have to say I did feel strange when I saw this on the news ... having flown Adam Air from Bali to Jakarta on the 1st of Jan all i could think was "thank fuck I didnt get that plane!!"

Riccardo I would be interested to know if you have any information on who is responsible for ensuring the standards of planes in Indonesia? Are the regulated by International body or Local?

Also I heard something about long hall low cost airlines (Easy Jet, Virgin and Adam Air?? all teaming up to provide long distance travel.

#40594 - 13 Jan 07 12:10 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: chewwyUK]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
I have spent some time on airstrips in Indonesia, and if the pilots of the bigger craft are anything like those that fly the smaller craft, it's no wonder why planes often go down.
Too often I saw pilots who failed to do a pre-trip inspection. Once I saw a pilot just about to take off without putting on a fuel cap! I asked him 'Don't you care if fuel splashes out on the hot engine? Aren't you worried about fires at 2000m?" His response: "If it happens, it is God's will".
Too often I saw those that could and should use reserve parachutes (i.e. skydivers, paragliders, powered paragliders) not using them. Apparently they are too cheap to purchase a $500 reserve chute just in case something goes wrong - again - God's will.
I guess many Indonesians never heard the phrase: "God helps those who help themselves."
To blame being ignorant, stupid, lazy, or cheap on God's Will is not only extremely irresponsible but is lunacy! As long as pilots, train engineers, bus drivers, etc, are allowed to be stupid, ignorant, and lazy in that country, these disasters are going to continue to happen, sad to say.

#40595 - 13 Jan 07 15:16 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: drgonzo
I have spent some time on airstrips in Indonesia, and if the pilots of the bigger craft are anything like those that fly the smaller craft, it's no wonder why planes often go down.
Too often I saw pilots who failed to do a pre-trip inspection. Once I saw a pilot just about to take off without putting on a fuel cap! I asked him 'Don't you care if fuel splashes out on the hot engine? Aren't you worried about fires at 2000m?" His response: "If it happens, it is God's will".
Too often I saw those that could and should use reserve parachutes (i.e. skydivers, paragliders, powered paragliders) not using them. Apparently they are too cheap to purchase a $500 reserve chute just in case something goes wrong - again - God's will.
I guess many Indonesians never heard the phrase: "God helps those who help themselves."
To blame being ignorant, stupid, lazy, or cheap on God's Will is not only extremely irresponsible but is lunacy! As long as pilots, train engineers, bus drivers, etc, are allowed to be stupid, ignorant, and lazy in that country, these disasters are going to continue to happen, sad to say.

Ignorance is truly bliss - who else does the walk around apart from the Pilot ?
By the sound of it , the only time you have spent on Indonesian airstrips is with a brush in your hand - do you think the pilot puts on some sort of filler cap then gets his tiger tokens ? please .
Air safety may be a joke - but "filler caps" ?
I'd like to see you fly a commecial aircraft in heavy weather - an aircraft held together with string .
Tell me , exactly what did you say to the pilot ?
Dr Gonzo - please try and stick to fact -

#40599 - 13 Jan 07 22:41 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
Were you born an asshole James or did it take years of training to make you so?
I was simply saying that if the commercial pilots are anywhere nearly as bad as the smaller propeller and microlight pilots, then there is truly something to worry about. Then I gave a couple examples of very poor microlight pilots.
Are you trying to argue the fact that a lot of Indonesians, even those that are responsible for many lives are hap-hazard and rely on God's Will?
Of course the maintenance of the aircraft is of utmost importance, but at the end of the day it's the pilot who chooses to fly it or not - if it's not safe, don't fly the fucking thing.

Quote:
Dr Gonzo - please try and stick to fact

I thought this particular post was about air safety in Indonesia? Aren't propeller planes, microlights, skydivers, balloons, etc etc all part of the air traffic and therefore air safety James?

Edited by drgonzo (13 Jan 07 23:10)

#40624 - 14 Jan 07 02:23 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Unfortunately most defects only manifest themselves in flight Gonzo - the ground engineer has the power to ground the flight - but the captain can overrule him .

Since everybody who lives in Indo knows the score - wouldn't you say some bules are pretty shit silly getting on board the flight in the first place ?

Welcome to Asia , Doctor - I fear you are in for a few disappointments .

PS - learned all I know from Americans .

#40627 - 14 Jan 07 02:35 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
This little tidbit from the latest Reuters report about the Adam Air crash speaks volumes:

"The transport ministry said the plane was airworthy and last serviced in December 2005. It had 45,371 flying hours and, according to Adam Air, the 17-year-old aircraft's engines are CFM56-3C1 models made by General Electric, said Ikhsan Tatang, head of the ministry's aviation directorate."

---------

If you're counting, that's 13 months since it was last serviced!!! How in the heck can he say it was "airworthy" if nobody had checked in 13 months??! Good Gracious sakes.

Not quite entirely accurate - see if you can get a copy of the aircrafts log book - a major overhaul and a service are two quite different things .

#40633 - 14 Jan 07 03:48 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The latest updates on the AdamAir crash:

Lots of bits of the plane, mostly from the rear and the tail section and plastic stuff like tray tables are being turned in by locals (who have been keeping them in their homes for several days) and the SAR teams are focusing on the Pare Pare area where these bits were found. The main bit of tail section with a serial number on it matching the plane was found on Monday by a fisherman, who had kept it under his bed until Wednesday when a neighbor told the police about it. So now the gov't is offering "rewards" for people who turn in what they've found. The fisherman got Rp 50 mil.

I wonder how many wallets, purses and anything else of value that floats have been found. Antara reported a villager finding an "rubber underwater camera" and turning it in to the police, but the military/police SAR teams have not mentioned that particular item.

Sounds like lots of looting could be going on. The question is how high within the police command does this collusion with the fishermen go? And ...what other goodies have they found, particularly things that might aid in the investigation?

What a mess.

#40669 - 14 Jan 07 10:25 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
all together now - "Coz I'm leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again...."

#40674 - 14 Jan 07 12:39 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: Roy's Hair]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Roy's hair
all together now - "Coz I'm leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again...."

"oh baby, i hate to go ..."

#40712 - 15 Jan 07 02:10 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Adam Air finally admit that the cause of the crash was Pilot Error

Attachments
443-AdamAir1.jpg

#40839 - 16 Jan 07 05:12 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
jok Offline
Member**

i want to throw up with that photos Dili...

#40840 - 16 Jan 07 05:14 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: jok]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Why, I thought he was a very handsome man!

#40841 - 16 Jan 07 05:16 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
jok Offline
Member**

No Dili..., he is irian jaya, hairy and so dark. i'm afraid.

#40842 - 16 Jan 07 05:16 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: jok]
jok Offline
Member**

i don't like to see his koteka

#40843 - 16 Jan 07 05:17 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: jok]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

He is wearing MT's hat

#40844 - 16 Jan 07 05:18 Re: Air Safety in Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
jok Offline