Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39424 - 26 Dec 06 10:31 Aceh bleeds again
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Almost three years to the day after the killer Tsunami claimed an estimated 170,000 lives, disaster has again struck Aceh with the death toll from days of flash flooding and landslides in Aceh and North Sumatra on Sunday standing at 110 people, with hundreds of others missing and tens of thousands of others internally displaced.
The United Nations said on Sunday that it would provide an initial US$2 million in emergency relief to Aceh, in response to the flash flooding, AP reported. The Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) would send relief aid to Aceh, it said.
In six districts in Aceh, namely Aceh Utara, Aceh Timur, Aceh Tamiang, Bireuen, Gayo Lues, and Bener Meriah, no less than than 70,000 people have been internally displaced, seeking refuge where they can.
Estimates in North Sumatra put the death toll at at least 20 while another 50,000 people were internally displaced.
Riau province has also been affected, though no deaths have been reported.
To stave off another looming humanitarian disaster, the Armed Forces (TNI) has deployed around 1,000 personnel, with around 700 of the personal deployed in Aceh, which was left devastated by the tsunami on Dec. 26, 2004.
“After the third day of the flooding in Aceh and North Sumatra, around 1,000 military personnel from the Army, Navy and Air Force have been deployed, equipped with heavy equipment, temporary kitchens, as well as makeshift hospitals,” TNI Information Center head Navy Comm. Mohammad Sunarto Sjoekronoputro said here on Sunday.
Seismologist Ahmad Zakir on Monday said the rain had stopped falling over the affected regions, but said light drizzle was still possible in the coming days.
Most of the military personnel have been deployed in Aceh Utara and Aceh Tamiang districts, which were hit hardest by the flooding.
As of Sunday, rescuers had recovered 60 bodies from Aceh Tamiang alone. The total of number of dead, as of Sunday, stood at 110 people, while hundreds of others were still missing.
The TNI was also supplying foodstuffs, including instant noodles, and temporary shelter in the form of tents.
Flooding, though in lesser intensity according to Antara, also swept some parts of West Sumatra and Riau on Sunday.
No casualties were reported in the two provinces, though three people were killed in Riau Islands province last Tuesday when a ferry sunk in heavy seas.
The floods were triggered by days of seasonal rain and have been blamed on severe deforestation.
Roads leading to many of the affected areas have been blocked due to both flooding and landslides, hampering relief efforts.
Access by air also has been problematic due to a lack of landing spots.
Earlier this month, some parts of Aceh province were also flooded due to incessant rains.
Solok in West Sumatra was hit by a landslide on Dec. 15, which left at least 18 people died.

#39430 - 26 Dec 06 11:25 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
God is trying to teach them something and I know what it is.

GOD: "You people have GOT to learn how to swim."

#39447 - 26 Dec 06 22:45 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
riccardo,

if you want to put a link into your sig, do it like this:

[ url ]gsrb.JakChat.com[ /url ]

without the spaces, it will appear like this:

[url=gsrb.JakChat.com]gsrb.JakChat.com[/url]

#39516 - 27 Dec 06 12:27 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: Piss Salon]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Loc: The Big Durian
Quoting: Piss Salon
Almost three years to the day after the killer .....

This was also on the front page of The Point paper I bought today. The Point needs competent copy editors, I think, or at least ones who have a grasp of basic arithmetic. The tsunami happened in December 2004, as is pointed out later in the article.

#39517 - 27 Dec 06 12:56 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: riccardo]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Quoting: riccardo
God is trying to teach them something and I know what it is.

GOD: "You people have GOT to learn how to swim."

That IS NOT FUNNY! Swimming had nothing to do with it. You are really that callous to make jokes about the hundreds of thousands of people who died in the tsunami only two years ago!?

#39531 - 27 Dec 06 15:30 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: xsbir]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

So now you've been promoted to the position of morality and humor judge? Yes, I'm callous, and cynical and I certainly don't give a darn what YOU think I should be. Actually, though, there were hundreds of stories of people that managed to save themselves by swimming to a safe roof, or treaded water and didn't panic because they knew how to swim. Of course that wasn't the point at all.

Do us all a favor and try not to look at everything in such a literal way, while projecting your version of morality on others, especially me.

#39752 - 01 Jan 07 13:30 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: riccardo]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Your attempts at humour are sometimes funny though, Riccardo. Happy New Year.

I don't think I judge what is right and what is wrong. I sometimes observe that what you post is insulting or demeaning towards certain religions or minorities. Is it wrong of me to point it out?

I thought this was a public forum. So don't tell me what I can and can't post. Thank you.

#39753 - 01 Jan 07 13:33 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: xsbir]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Irresepctive of the fct that I sm pissed. there is s pobnit here.

My father tauight mer to swim. He inisted. Saying it wuold save my life.

Eveyone should swim.

fuvk im pissed.

#39794 - 03 Jan 07 02:21 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: Polar Bear]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

In the ferry disaster off Jawa, dozens have been rescued because they knew how to swim. A few swam/drifted over 20km to nearby island and were rescued. With so much darn water in this archipelago, swimming proficiency should be made mandatory before kids enter kindergarten.

#39834 - 03 Jan 07 06:50 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

More children would die during swimming lessons from being exposed to water in Indonesia than would be saved from knowing how to swim in the event of a ferry disaster.

Knowing how to swim ain't gonna help you in either a landslide or flash flood. And swimming in the vast majority of cases during the tsunami sure as shit would not have helped.

#39835 - 03 Jan 07 06:50 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

More children would die during swimming lessons from being exposed to water in Indonesia than would be saved from knowing how to swim in the event of a ferry disaster.

Knowing how to swim ain't gonna help you in either a landslide or flash flood. And swimming in the vast majority of cases during the tsunami sure as shit would not have helped.

#39841 - 03 Jan 07 08:36 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I suppose you'd be proven right about thousands of kids dying during the lessons, but you are very, very wrong about the tsunami thing.

There have been literally thousands of stories -- and probably hundreds of thousands more that remain to be told -- of people saving themselves during various tsunami by their ability to swim or tread water without panicking. (see a few below)

"...For the first time, I felt afraid, powerless to prevent myself from being washed out to sea.

I swam in the direction of a loose catamaran, grabbed the hull and pulled myself to safety. My weight must have slowed the boat down, and soon I was stranded on the sand."
http://www.asne.org/index.cfm?ID=5599

"She said she was one of the lucky ones who swam to safety. The wave swept many others away, but most of her family members escaped."
http://www.dwu.ac.pg/press/aita5.html

"...People tried to escape from their shifting homes, but found that the force of water held their doors shut. Many slipped out through windows and swam to safety."
http://www.legionmagazine.com/features/canadianreflections/03-03.asp

"...He climbed a tree Dec. 26, too, but the tsunami knocked him into the water. He swam to safety, discovering later that 15 of his relatives had died."
http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/county_news/article/0,1375,VCS_226_3766437,00.html

"...asks another villager, Kali Amma who shows injuries to her leg sustained as she swam to safety."
http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1230/p01s02-wosc.html

"Thirty-eight year old Uma Krishnamoorthy was knee deep in the water when the tsunami washed over the backwaters near her village of Periyar Nagar Dalit colony in Cuddalore district, 260 km from Chennai. The clam collector had to struggle to swim to safety."
http://www.indiaresource.org/issues/globalization/2005/wavesofneglect.html

Buoyancy Experiences:
Teaching Tsunami Kids How to Swim

15 March 2005 — Amritapuri

It was only a week after the tsunami that Amma first mentioned Her idea of providing swimming lessons for the village children in the Ashram swimming pool. Amma wanted to help the children to overcome their fear of water, as so many had become petrified of Mother Sea since the day she flooded through their streets, washed away their homes and, perhaps, even drowned a friend or family member. "Only through water will they be able to overcome their fear of water," Amma said.

smimming classes for tsunami children

Now lessons are in full swing, with two one-hour-long classes taking place each morning—one for boys and one for girls. The course, Beginning Swimming & Water Safety, is being taught by Sneha Albione Becnel, a 62-year-old American woman who has lived in Amritapuri for the past five years, during which time she has successfully taught more than 100 people to swim.

"You can't talk someone out of a fear of water," says Sneha, a former Red Cross Water Safety Instructor. "However you can teach them skills that will give them control, and that will give them the confidence. That's what we focus on—things such as getting them to put their face in the water, rhythmic breathing, treading water, bobbing, floating on your stomach and back, the crawl stroke.

We also teach them how to do a standing front dive and to jump in feet-first and then swim to safety. ...
http://www.amritapuri.org/tsunami/swim.php

#39843 - 03 Jan 07 09:01 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

So many more stories and each is extremely interesting, and it shows how so many hundreds of people with swimming skills were able to survive, but notice one major thing here. In my quick research I have not found one yet where an Indonesian has saved himself/herself by swimming. I do, however, recall a story of a family in Meulaboh in swam from roof to roof as the water rose and survived because of it, while dozens of their neighbors were stranded on a low roof and soon inundated and drowned.
Here are few more:

The train was swept out to sea when the tsunami hit. My oldest cousin, Padmal, who was also on the train, managed to swim to safety...
http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/01356/tsunami_stories.htm

“I found myself neck deep in water when the gigantic waves engulfed the area,” he recalls.
Sampath managed to swim to safety but watched his home and garden being swept away by the swirling waters.
http://www.iom.int/tsunami/stories/sr_ns_01_12_05.htm

Tristan Gleason actually managed to swim to safety when the tsunamis struck.
http://academic.bowdoin.edu/isle/tristan_report.shtml

The fretting over the fate of our colleagues Anke Schürmann and Claudia Balkhausen comes to an end: Both were carried away by the wave in Matara, but were just able to swim to safety and be rescued.
http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/RWB.NSF/db900SID/SZIE-68QKF3?OpenDocument

#39844 - 03 Jan 07 09:11 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Here are two stories I could find on Indonesians that saved themselves, and others, due to their ability to swim:

...{Dwimawan} swam away and managed to climb onto the roof of a nearby house. He then waited for the next wave.
One thing was becoming clear to him: the water was getting higher with every wave. At some point, when he was moving to another house on higher ground, he managed to grab hold of a woman and her daughter, guiding them to a two-story house that was also occupied by dozens of other people.

"The only thing in my mind was to get as far away as possible from the shore," he recalled.

He said he had to be very careful when swimming or running to higher ground since every new wave brought with it house debris, motorcycles, boats and even a large palm oil tank.

He finally reached the West Aceh council building where the water was about chest high.
http://www.thejakartapost.com/Archives/ArchivesDet2.asp?FileID=20050104.C05

The coast [of Meulaboh] was absolutely flattened, with rubble and dead bodies next to the now-calmer waters. I met a man who was standing by where his beachfront home once stood.

“My little girl all the way up to my father, I lost them all,” the man said. “I only survived by swimming for what seemed like miles.”
http://phoenix.gov/district3/nepi/d30502nei.html

#39850 - 03 Jan 07 09:58 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

And THESE ACADEMIC REPORTS, fellas, ARE the veritable Coup de Grace:

Mortality and Injury: Post-tsunami Epidemiological Findings from Tamil Nadu, aimed to identify the specific risk factors for mortality and injury ...
CONCLUSION
The ability to swim significantly increases an individual's chance of survival during acute flooding events. States should, therefore promote and fund swimming lessons for coastal communities...
www.em-dat.net/documents/Publication/RiskFactorsMortalityInjury.pdf

On May 5, 2006, 150 participants from seventy different organizations came together to share observations and lessons about aid operations in response to the December 26, 2004
tsunami...

AND THIS WAS THEIR CONCLUSION:
The single greatest factor in people's living or dying in the tsunami was the ability to swim. Yet programs to teach people to swim are few and far between.

HERE'S THE FULL REPORT IN PDF FORMAT
http://www.cpbintl.org/Documents/TsunamiSymposiumSummaryMay06CPBI-AU.pdf

AFLAC Swim for Safety

The recent Tsunami that caused intense devastation to the coastal regions in Sri Lanka clearly revealed that many lives could have been saved if there was a more widespread ability to swim among the coastal population...
http://www.aflacinternational.com/project.asp?id=39

#39855 - 03 Jan 07 12:14 Re: Aceh bleeds again [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Anyway, what about this load of bollox. Hundreds of potential survivors floating in sea not far from the Eastern Fleets naval base in Surabaya and which direction do they set out to sea? You guessed it. The other way. No mention of the disaster in this crap Antara story. The 'journalist' should be assassinated.

Jakarta (Antara News) - The Indonesian Navy Headquarters said it would carry through with its plan to conduct exercises that would culminate in Arafura and Kaimana waters in Papua on January 5-8 despite the fact that the weather had been unfriendly in the past few days.

"We will keep monitoring the weather which has been unfriendly of late," Navy Headquarters spokesman Commodore Slamet Yulistiyono told Antara News on Tuesday.

He said the "Armada Jaya XXVI/2006" exercises would be implemented while continuing to keep an eye on weather conditions.

"We cannot always precisely predict nature. So we must keep on watching the weather and the condition of the fleet," Slamet said.

The navy has been holding exercises since late December. In its exercises this time, the fleet was expected to take the following sea route: Surabaya (Java Sea)- Flores-Ambon/Kupang- Banda Sea-Arafura Sea-Papua/Kaimana. A total of 5,730 men would take part in the maneuvers.

The 5,730 men would come from the Navy`s various main commands such as the Eastern Fleet, the Western Fleet, Marine Corps and the Navy Headquarters.

A wide range of combat equipment and heavy arms would be used in the exercises, including 28 warships of various types, five fixed-wing aircraft, two helicopters, 10 tanks, 32 Taifib vehicles, five Howitzers, two RM-70 rockets, four hovercraft, 38 rubber dingies, 17 trucks and 12 jeeps. (*)

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop