Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39321 - 24 Dec 06 00:30 Bar Review-Blow Fish
Shesca Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
The name should be called the NEW Blowfish. The two sure things that are new and quite significant is the location and the interior. Blowfish now is located in Citi plaza, right behind Menara Jamsostek in Gatot Subroto. If you come from Semanggi going to Pancoran, take a U turn in front of Rasuna Said and stay left. There should be big signs that guide you to this building. The building itself is a brand new and modern office building and the club is located on the ground floor. This club is owned by the same owner of Dragonfly.
The interior of this club is very modern asian, with a lot of touches of chinese influence. I think in general they do a good job in designing the club. The main ceiling has a huge picture of a naked lady's back with japanese tatoo. I found it to be very cool. The music I think was really great for dancing which was backed up with wonderful sound system. The crowd reminds me a lot to Dragonfly, with one decade genre lower than Dragonfly. They were mostly 20-30 years old Chinese Indonesian who dressed to kill and definitely came there to show what they "got". By 11:30 PM the place was pretty much packed and the music got louder and more exciting. Im on a non alcoholic diet so I tried their fruit cocktail which was absolutely wonderful. In general this club is a good place to go, but not really the place where people come to dance. Will I go back? Sure.

#39328 - 24 Dec 06 04:20 Re: Bar Review-Blow Fish [Re: Shesca]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

"20-30 yr olds dressed to kill and loud music"? Hmmm, I must be getting a bit long in the tooth because that does not sound like the place for me. Ah well, guess I'll just stick to my normal pubs, listening to Bob Dylan, discussing the woes of the world with fellow beer drinkers and watching sports on the big screen.

BTW, Shes, what are the prices, roughly, for alcoholic drinks there? That's what often perturbs me about these kinds of places; the prices are higher than European or American prices! And it's all just like quadruple mark-ups, because I know what most wines, beer, and spirits cost here -- wholesale and retail. I also know roughly what the staff gets paid.

#39329 - 24 Dec 06 04:24 Re: Bar Review-Blow Fish [Re: riccardo]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
Bob Dylan, Ric? Oh dear...

#39330 - 24 Dec 06 04:31 Re: Bar Review-Blow Fish [Re: Just]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Well Dylan is just one of many faves, including all Motown stuff, Gaye, Temps, Tops, Aretha... Also early Stones, early Rod Stewart, John Cash, Waylon, the Clash, the Jam... I guess the most recent music that I like would be the Red Hot Chili Peppers, a few things by TEXAS, Some of the older NO DOUBT, and Rage Against The Machine.

#39331 - 24 Dec 06 04:36 Re: Bar Review-Blow Fish [Re: riccardo]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
Yes, yes... I prefer oldies too! Don't care if people call me old fashioned, but they were definitely much better than nowadays music! But not Bob Dylan smile. RHCP, hell yes! How bout U2?

#39333 - 24 Dec 06 05:12 Re: Bar Review-Blow Fish [Re: Just]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

U2 and Dangdut are the same -- boring noise for the kampungan masses.

#46401 - 02 Mar 07 10:21 Re: Bar Review-Blow Fish [Re: Shesca]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
ewh.. been there. Its crap..

#46403 - 02 Mar 07 10:32 Re: Bar Review-Blow Fish [Re: emmajkt]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i like dangdut. apart from anything else, it's an authentically indonesian genre.

#46419 - 02 Mar 07 11:31 Re: Bar Review-Blow Fish [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Mojo Man Offline
Member+

Loc: Bali Indonesia
Forget Blowfish and Dragonfly.

Check out Fly Cafe in Ubud on Bali.

I'm the one with the bottomless glass of red.

-------------
Cheeeerrrrrrrzzzzz

#47155 - 10 Mar 07 03:00 Re: Bar Review-Blow Fish [Re: Mojo Man]
whitecliff Offline

Loc: indonesia
Been there on their grand opening. I agree with Shesca about the crowd plus celebrities. Crap..too many of them. Can't dance. And for the drinks, I ordered double shot vodka sprite...still not strong enough..

Whether I go back there again? only for the music..

#47156 - 10 Mar 07 03:27 Re: Bar Review-Blow Fish [Re: whitecliff]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i've never really understood the attraction of night clubs.

#85170 - 28 Aug 08 21:10 Re: Bar Review-Blow Fish [Re: Shesca]
HypnotiqueBali Offline

Loc: Seminyak Square, Jalan Oberoi,...
For those dissapointed in Ismaya Groups Blowfish, then come take a look at HYPNOTIQUE Club Lounge in Bali.

here is the latest review of HYPNOTIQUE:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Well Finally Jakarta Night Life Arrives in Bali!

PROGRESSIVE "NO-RULES" Club Lounge Called - HYPNOTIQUE.
The newest and most hyp addition to Eat Street's burgeoning bussle of bizziness (...and now bars), opens its doors and hearts to a sexy cocktail of style and savvy.
This state-of-the art cocktail bar and lounge caters to Seminyak's swish mix of local and foreign revellers, treating guests to high-end mixology by none other than local master-blaster, Yos Malelak, of BaliMoon, BehindBars and RedSquare Bar (Jakarta) fame.
Sleak lounge-design features include spherical custom-made PurpleDot Audio systems seen as the best audio sound in Indonesia, audio-reactive water-walls, along with the signature eye-shaped screens that swirl you on to next flavor.
Totally up market in comparison to Red Square!
Music will keep a more urban and rare groove vibe through the weekdays and then take things up a notch on weekends.
Service and value will no doubt be two of the best hooks for repeat offenders here, as bar-tenders will soon know you on a first-name basis, how you like your drink, and even which way the taxi needs to go to get you home safe...

The Best Club Lounge in Indonesia
The Best Sound System in Indonesia
The Best Cocktails in Indonesia

Want to see for yourself contact us to book your VIP table: steve@hypnotiquebali.com

The party start and finishes here!

Moderator:  NetCop