Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39095 - 21 Dec 06 23:43 Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
As Xmas approaching and as one who celebrate it, in this couple days I have been busy shopping and preparing Xmas gifts for my dear ones. For me it's always a fun exciting time of the year. However that is not the case for some of my friends. Some of them believe (as Asians/Indonesians), they can't give some particular items for present. There's some items are considered giving bad luck into the relationship of the giver and the recipient. Perfumes, shoes, and handkerchief is some items which considered to the category of bad luck present.
Personally, I would love to get nice perfumes or shoes as my Xmas present; and if someone get me Jimmy Choo/Mahnolo Blahnik shoes or Stella McCartney perfumes - Well bad luck or not, I think I should maintain good relationship with the person as hard as I could, so then I would get the same nice present from him/her every Xmas ... grin

#39102 - 22 Dec 06 00:45 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Lulu]
Magda Offline
Member+

Loc: Bali, Indonesia
Luk - why u put some branded anyway heheh,

for me - we do not neeed to think bad if some body give some presen, just positive thinking, no need to see the value of gift - u r correct - just maintenance the relationship and the kind heart to the giver.. smile

Merry Xmas

#39104 - 22 Dec 06 00:55 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Magda]
jok Offline
Member**

Loc: Jakarta
last night after nice romantic dinner and make love i got X-mas present from my Tall and Handsome boyfriend.

#39105 - 22 Dec 06 00:56 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: jok]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Ela_K
last night after nice romantic dinner and make love i got X-mas present from my Tall and Handsome boyfriend.

ela, remuneration for services rendered does not count as a xmas present!!

#39108 - 22 Dec 06 00:57 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: KuKuKaChu]
jok Offline
Member**

Kuku.... laugh

#39114 - 22 Dec 06 01:25 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: jok]
Magda Offline
Member+

Loc: Bali, Indonesia

thats to bribe u La .... yay kuku

#39115 - 22 Dec 06 01:29 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Magda]
jok Offline
Member**

bribe but romantic smile

#39117 - 22 Dec 06 01:43 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: jok]
Shesca Offline
Member*

My favorite Xmas present so far:
a surprise dinner (3 courses) on a beautifully decorated table, cooked by him smile

#39119 - 22 Dec 06 01:50 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Shesca]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Lulu, is that true about these superstitions? Where does such superstition come from and why those particular items?

#39121 - 22 Dec 06 02:00 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: jok]
cherry Offline
Member**

Loc: Indonesia
anyone here want to give me a X'mas gift?

#39122 - 22 Dec 06 02:03 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: cherry]
jok Offline
Member**

Cherry, i will give you new sexy pink panties as X-mas present. been for ages you stand on your avatr whit that white panties!

#39123 - 22 Dec 06 02:05 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: riccardo]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
Quoting: riccardo
Lulu, is that true about these superstitions? Where does such superstition come from and why those particular items?

Like Lulu said, these are superstitions. Not sure if they're true or not. Where does it come from? Who knows... word of mouth!
If you gave someone these particular items, it is believed that your relationship might end/break up soon!

Personally, I am not that superstitious. I like presents and any kind of presents are welcome laugh

#39125 - 22 Dec 06 02:11 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Just]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Thanks LULU!!! My GF was bugging me to have shoes for Christmas and now, thanks to you, I have a good reason not to give that to her!

#39126 - 22 Dec 06 02:17 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Orang Kanada]
jok Offline
Member**

poor her

#39127 - 22 Dec 06 02:17 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Just]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I dated an indonesian girl for a while who was very superstitious when it came to gifts ... no clothes and no perfume were the main things. Very strange but it saves a shit load of money!

Other superstition I now believe in revolves around tanah lot in Bali. The balanise believe that if a couple who are not married visit tanah lot will break up after going there. It certainly came true for me ... so remember if your in Bali with somebody your not married to - a nice romantic walk around Tanah Lot is not wise!

Edited by chewwyUK (22 Dec 06 02:19)

#39128 - 22 Dec 06 02:24 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: chewwyUK]
jok Offline
Member**

Thank you Chewwy i will always remember that. Very good advice though! Believe it or not. oh i don't want to break up with my Tall and Handsome boyfriend!!

#39129 - 22 Dec 06 02:24 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: chewwyUK]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Hey Chew... about the Tanah lot superstition... it worked for me too!

#39130 - 22 Dec 06 02:33 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Orang Kanada]
Just Offline
Member+++

Kebun Raya Bogor (Bogor Botanical Garden) also believed to give this effect to couples! Beware ...

#39131 - 22 Dec 06 02:34 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: jok]
Just Offline
Member+++

poor her

Poor her indeed! Just give the cash and let her buy them herself then! Hehehe wink

#39132 - 22 Dec 06 02:37 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Just]
jok Offline
Member**

Quoting: Just
poor her

Poor her indeed! Just give the cash and let her buy them herself then! Hehehe wink

or give her your credit card with the pin code orang Kanada! i bet she will not forget the most X-mas present from you.

#39133 - 22 Dec 06 02:39 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: jok]
Just Offline
Member+++

Quoting: Just
poor her

or give her your credit card with the pin code orang Kanada! i bet she will not forget the most X-mas present from you.

Ela, you're bad! LOLOLOLOLOL

#39134 - 22 Dec 06 02:51 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: chewwyUK

Other superstition I now believe in revolves around tanah lot in Bali. The balanise believe that if a couple who are not married visit tanah lot will break up after going there. It certainly came true for me ... so remember if your in Bali with somebody your not married to - a nice romantic walk around Tanah Lot is not wise!

Goodness gracious. My friend and his fiancée recently had a pre-wedding photo shoot there! I won't tell him.

#39135 - 22 Dec 06 02:53 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Just]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

I can give her my credit card, what a good idea!!!! It's loaded, impossible to use, so she can make the payments!!! laugh

#39136 - 22 Dec 06 02:56 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Orang Kanada]
jok Offline
Member**

she is really poor.

#39138 - 22 Dec 06 02:57 Re: Asian/Indonesian Supertitious in gift givings [Re: Orang Kanada]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Anyway girls, I was just saying I don't wanna buy SHOES... what a boring gift! I have more imagination then that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  NetCop