Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38748 - 17 Dec 06 23:40 JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Police break up discussion on Marxism

Yuli Tri Suwarni, The Jakarta Post, Bandung

A youth organization, with backing from the police, raided a bookstore in Bandung on Thursday night that was hosting a discussion on Marxism.

About 20 members of a group calling itself the Anti-Communist Society (Permak) took part in the raid on Ultimus bookstore. They had the full support of the police, who arrested nine people in the store, including the person who organized the discussion, Sadikin, and a speaker at the event, Supratman Marhaen, who is also known as Haryanto Darmawan.

All nine are being held by the Bandung Police. They are accused of violating Article 107 of the Criminal Code, on spreading Marxism, Leninism and communism. If found guilty of the charge they could be sentenced to between five and 12 years in jail.

Communism has been banned in Indonesia since the coup attempt on Sept. 30, 1965, which was blamed on the Indonesian Communist Party (PKI). An attempt to lift the ban in 2003 by the People's Consultative Assembly met with strong opposition from the political establishment and was eventually dropped.

Sadikin said Friday the discussion was underway when a Permak member, Adang Supriyadi, entered the store and announced the meeting was over.

Adang, who with about 20 other people arrived at the store in a pickup truck with the name of the Panca Marga Youth organization written on its side, said his father was a victim of the PKI and he did not want communism to take root in Bandung.

"This raid is bad for democracy because it prevents us from being critical of communism and Marxism, which we consider a failure," said Sadikin.

He accused members of the Anti-Communist Society of assaulting him before he was bundled into a waiting police truck.

Both Sadikin and Supratman refused to sign a police dossier after being questioned for six hours. They said they were not guilty of spreading Marxism.

"Our discussion was to criticize (communism and Marxism), so why are we accused of spreading the ideology?" Sadikin asked.

This is the second such raid in Bandung targeting discussions on Marxism and communism. In May this year, a group calling itself the Regional Anti-Disruption Association, which is made up of members of the Panca Marga Youth organization, dispersed a similar meeting.

Police detained several members of the organizing committee and participants, but released them the next day.

Gatot Riyanto, the director of the Bandung Legal Aid Institute, which is representing Sadikin and Supratman, said the police should offer some evidence the discussion was attempting to spread communism.

"Their legal position should be cleared up with evidence, whether the accusation is correct," Gatot said.

Bandung City Police chief Sr. Comr. Edmon Ilyas said Friday none of the nine people detained Thursday had been officially named as suspects. However, he said police had 11 witnesses and evidence, including a camera, stickers and a book on Marxism. He added that organizers had not secured a permit for the discussion.

Sadikin denied the discussion was held without a permit, saying the organizing committee had applied for and received a permit a week prior to the event.

"We have written permission from the police," he said.

Officer Edmon praised the citizens who took part in the raid, calling them "good and responsive Bandung residents".

#38752 - 18 Dec 06 00:52 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Reds under the bed yet again? Jesus will they change the bleedin' record already? A dose of Marxist theory is exactly what this country needs. Class war is the only war worth fighting , especially in a country of sleazy fascists.

#38755 - 18 Dec 06 01:24 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
The pervasive OrBa mentality that has bred 3 generations of brain-washed ignoramuses strikes again.

But who, in this country, is willing to stand up for good guys like Sadikin and Supratman? Who will tell the brown-shirted pigs, the thugs and the fascists that they are the real criminals, and that if/when democracy blooms here, they'll all be out of work, pondering the question of why they don't own the means of production and searching for an opiate to soothe their hunger pangs.

#38774 - 18 Dec 06 03:53 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

i can't find mention of this story anywhere in the indonesian-language media. jakpost may have gone out on a limb with this one.

#38775 - 18 Dec 06 04:01 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

interesting. i could be wrong, but i cannot now find the article above that i copied across from JP ...

riccardo! i need a conspiracy theory! and fast!!!

#38776 - 18 Dec 06 04:03 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
The story was all over detiknews, and some on tempo
http://www.indonesiamatters.com/1003/international-marxist-movement/

#38777 - 18 Dec 06 04:06 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: Patung]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia

#38778 - 18 Dec 06 04:21 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: Patung]
Pooh Bah

yes, i've already found them on the indonesian-language press. i was searching on the name of the ginger group "permak" named in The Jakarta Post report. other media did not mention this name, preferring to call them who they *really* are, ie, pemuda pancasila, OrBa brown shirts.

#38780 - 18 Dec 06 04:30 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

You need to arrest them (the Communists), lock them in a room and show them 100 hours of great communist fuck ups. I was in East Berlin before the wall came down, and later Moscow, before glasnost. 100 hours of seeing those fucked up countries would shut up any communist.

#38781 - 18 Dec 06 04:30 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

You need to arrest them (the Communists), lock them in a room and show them 100 hours of great communist fuck ups. I was in East Berlin before the wall came down, and later Moscow, before glasnost. 100 hours of seeing those fucked up countries would shut up any communist.

#38782 - 18 Dec 06 04:37 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: Patung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
No need for conspiracy or theorizing Kuku. If others aren't telling the public, it just means that they are doing as they are told as per usual.

#38783 - 18 Dec 06 04:45 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: riccardo
No need for conspiracy or theorizing Kuku. If others aren't telling the public, it just means that they are doing as they are told as per usual.

well, i was wrong in any case! though the speed at which the jakpost article got put into the archives was rather fast.

i'm really interested to see what the government reaction to this will be. it's a real test of their democratic credentials.

#38785 - 18 Dec 06 04:48 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

[riccardo] are you spreading marxism again?
[patung] i'm certainly not
[KuKuKaChu] that JP article on the police bust up of that "marxist" meeting seems to have been pulled from The Jakarta Post ...
[patung] http://www.thejakartapost.com/yesterdaydetail.asp?fileid=20061216.A07
[KuKuKaChu] yes, i've just relocated it in the archive http://www.thejakartapost.com/Archives/ArchivesDet2.asp?FileID=20061216.A07
[KuKuKaChu] but it was only up on the main pages for less than a few hours ...
[KuKuKaChu] i wonder if it made the print edition ...
[KuKuKaChu] (not that i would waste Rp5000 to find out)
[KuKuKaChu] i've searched Kompas and detik.com ... no mention of this story
[KuKuKaChu] nothing obvious anyway ... and nothing in this morning's print edition of Kompas
[patung] detik had at least five separate stories on it
[patung] tempo had a looong story on it
[KuKuKaChu] where?? i'm looking in the wrong place obviously
[patung] and metro tv
[KuKuKaChu] i went into detik's indeks berita ... can't find anything
[patung] follow the footnote links on my page, link in thread
[patung] index page for 15th
[KuKuKaChu] ah! found it! i was searching for permak. other media didn't mention them. marxisme brings it up!
[patung] tempo did
[KuKuKaChu] did not search tempo, only Kompas and detik. they called the group by its "real" name: pemuda pancasila; orba brown shirts
[patung] the names just seem to be invented each time something happens
[KuKuKaChu] yes, no doubt about that! they probably try to cover up who is really behind the "demos" and actions
[KuKuKaChu] in this case, pemuda pancasila may have been hoping to disguise the thugs involved in the "joint action", but got found out.

#38827 - 18 Dec 06 09:58 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
If the communist system is so bad and its against the law to discuss it etc etc why has the Indonesian Minister of Health just returned from a comparitive study trip to Cuba?

#38828 - 18 Dec 06 10:01 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: Piss Salon]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Piss Salon
If the communist system is so bad and its against the law to discuss it etc etc why has the Indonesian Minister of Health just returned from a comparitive study trip to Cuba?

because the cuban health system is possibly the only thing the cubans can boast about ...

#38830 - 18 Dec 06 10:07 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Surely the honorable minister is breaking Indonesian law in doing so.

#38836 - 18 Dec 06 10:35 Re: JP/Police break up discussion on Marxism [Re: Piss Salon]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Piss Salon
Surely the honorable minister is breaking Indonesian law in doing so.

Article 107 of the Criminal Code apparently covers spreading Marxism, Leninism and communism.

I guess looking at it isnt spreading it (a bit like dog shit and marmalade)

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop