Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38689 - 16 Dec 06 23:25 The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta
Shesca Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
On Friday, prior to showing some units of apartments to Chewwy, I visited a client who is trying to sell her land in Bali, Ms. Putu.

The meeting place happened to be her restaurant, AJENGAN.
It took us a while to locate the place because none of us were very familiar with Panglima Polim, and NOT all Panglima Polims are street signed. The location is in Panglima Polim I, didnt really look like a restaurant from the road. It looked more like a gallery, with the front door designed like the one in Pura, temple of the Hindunese. Right next door is also a restaurant serving food like nasi goreng, cap cai, and the usual popular Indonesian food.

Entering the restaurant, you will be surprised to see how big the place actually is. Nicely decorated, dominated by a lot of wooden ornaments, this restaurant was designed by Ms. Putu herself ( I told her to open an interior designer firm ).

Having finished with our conversation regarding the land,she then offered us to give the food of the restaurant a try, and without hesitation we received the offer (being starving and all). We both decided to give the Nasi Campur (Rice with different kind of side dishes around it) a shot. For drinks, we both opted for Ajengan Special. The food was served within a perfect timing and we began our culinary experience. The Nasi Campur consisted of a bowl of rice at the center with half spiced egg, two chicken satays one cooked with red sauce while the other was cooked with coconut milk, one chicken side dish cooked with chilli, another chicken side dish cooked with coconut milk (but different taste from the satay), a veggie side dish and red onion chilli to add some hotness to the overall food. The taste was very authentic and delicious. It was a perfect blend of spices nicely cooked and tasted absolutely wonderful. The drink itself was a perfect blend of pineaple, orange and lemon. You couldnt help but feeling very tropical during the food and beverage experience. One thing that you might find to be the problem would be the spiciness of the food. For me, who is an Indonesian and chilli lover, it was just perfect.

The owner claimed that their crispy duck is the best in town and I promised her that would be our menu next time we visit the restaurant, which will be very soon smile

Balinese restaurant, especially the authentic one is a rare find in Jakarta. There is one called Bebek Bengil, located in Dharmawangsa square, which is pretty good, but I still think that Ajengan is the number one so far.
Here is the address:

Ajengan Restaurant
Jl. Panglima Polim I No. 65
Kebayoran Baru
Jakarta Selatan

Edited by Shesca (16 Dec 06 23:27)

#38692 - 17 Dec 06 00:40 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Shesca]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
"One thing that you might find to be the problem would be the spiciness of the food."

I may not have a problem but my arse would later!

#38697 - 17 Dec 06 03:32 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Dilli]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
Sounds yummy to me! Might give it a try! Thanks, Dilli!

#38699 - 17 Dec 06 04:47 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Just]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Just: you say "I am a single Mum and I have no regrets"

why do you feel the need to say this, if you truly have no regrets?

#38700 - 17 Dec 06 04:58 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Just Offline
Member+++

Because too many questions I've received! Lol. I guess I feel the need to explain smile

#38709 - 17 Dec 06 06:05 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Just]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
actually, i sort of knew already why you might have said that. in indonesia there is enormous pressure against single mothers, and huge guilt trips that the religious establishment places on them.

being a single mother isn't easy in indonesia precisely because of this negative social pressure. women here are supposed to "belong" to a husband, and children also are supposed to be the property of the father. thus a single mother threatens these common assumptions, and is expected to put on the appearance of unhappiness with their situation to salve these negative pressures.

who was that artis sinetron who had a baby out of wedlock recently?? certain people seem upset that she is *happy* to be a single mother!

#38711 - 17 Dec 06 06:13 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Just Offline
Member+++

You spoke my language, Kuku! Thank you! It has never been a pleasant experience, believe it!
Being a divorced woman here in Indonesia always get all the blames! And it really hurts! There's always reasons behind everything that happen. Some people chose not to listen just because they're thought that way (the eastern way, so it said!). It takes 2 to tango, right?
Well, now I chose to "fuck em all" and move on with my live! Yeah, I've never been this happier and I kindna like the "enjoy my life to the utmost"!

Cheers!

Edited by Just (17 Dec 06 06:23)

#38719 - 17 Dec 06 06:58 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Just]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
Good on you Just.. at least you can try to start a new life now. Bad marriage is like a hemorrhoid.

My cousin's in the process of having a divorce, her parents are pleading the man to lodge the divorce application instead of her (although she's the one who wanted to leave the bad marriage). Same reason..they fear the stigma of the society, and what would happen to their daughter. I don't quite understand their logic, but probably they're hoping that if she's the one who's being divorced, ppl will not judge her too harshly or something.. i don't know, but i wish her kindness and all the best.

Ps: Shesca, your review makes me dribble all over the keyboard.

#38722 - 17 Dec 06 07:34 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Choc_Cow]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Just:
I too am a single mom and been enjoying being on alone. Of course its not easy at all but it does make you to be a much stronger person than before. In this country, we are seen as easy and desparate sexually and financially. Lots of people do want to take advantage of us due to this reason. However, if you can prove to them that you are a respectable person and can definitely make it on your own, they will definitely respect you. Well, some are still too boneheaded to turn this way, but most of them are okay.

Choc:

I am glad my amateur review can make such effect on the reader!!!

#38744 - 17 Dec 06 21:16 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Shesca]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I am a single guy all alone, and its not so bad.

I go out getting pissed when i want...
I spend my money on what want....
I go where I want......
I shag who I want, when I want, as often as I want......

smile

#38921 - 19 Dec 06 09:24 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Polar Bear]
Just Offline
Member+++

Thank you, Choco & Shesca! We single mums should stick together! Lol. Anyway, this topic doesn't belong in this forum! hehehe.. let's move on!

#38980 - 20 Dec 06 02:50 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Just]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quoting: Just
Thank you, Choco & Shesca! We single mums should stick together! Lol. Anyway, this topic doesn't belong in this forum! hehehe.. let's move on!

so, you're a single mom??
well, teach me..teach me how tobe a nice single mom wink wink wink

#40569 - 13 Jan 07 04:26 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Jokie Jokie Girl]
No Eye Dear Offline
Member+

Loc: Mars
Well I am a single Dad and there is no stigma hanging out of my nose. In all honesty, being a single parent is actually easier and more rewarding then having to share the responsibility .... what you give in love, care and attention is returned two fold.

As for the single Indonesian woman, there is probably more single Mums in Balikpapan than married ones. Seems everyone I meet is single with child.....bizarre.

I think the stigma that you girls talk about is only in your own heads, most people these days seem to expect the "single with child" thing. I never blinked an eye before I became a single parent nor do I blink about it now.

#40583 - 13 Jan 07 06:45 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: No Eye Dear]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: No Eye Dear
As for the single Indonesian woman, there is probably more single Mums in Balikpapan than married ones. Seems everyone I meet is single with child.....bizarre.

I guess N.E.D its the old F&F factor. Fuck em, then fuck off......

#40592 - 13 Jan 07 10:38 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Polar Bear]
dolphin Offline
Member+++

Loc: auckland, nz
Well well well

#40597 - 13 Jan 07 22:15 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: No Eye Dear]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Quoting: No Eye Dear
Well I am a single Dad and there is no stigma hanging out of my nose. In all honesty, being a single parent is actually easier and more rewarding then having to share the responsibility .... what you give in love, care and attention is returned two fold.

I think the stigma that you girls talk about is only in your own heads, most people these days seem to expect the "single with child" thing. I never blinked an eye before I became a single parent nor do I blink about it now.

Im travellng to Balikpapan next week. Does it mean I will blend in there? smile

About our perception, it does still exist, NED. You can very much tell how people react when they ask you your marital status. It does help when you tell them you are married because there will be much less attempt to hit on you. Although there are still plenty out there who would just go for it no matter what your status is smile
But in general it's becoming quite a non issue more and more due to the increasing number of the marriage split in Indonesia.

#47261 - 11 Mar 07 22:12 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: Shesca]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
I was going through the restaurant reviews such as this one wrote by Shesca (I will try it when I'm visiting Jkt), but off-threaded to single mom discussion. I just want to say to all single JC moms, Cheers! Better single than miserable! May all the fun be with you!

#47267 - 11 Mar 07 22:56 Re: The Hidden Gem in the South of Jakarta [Re: doremi]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Back on topic!

Attachments
1225-chinska-restauracja.jpg

Moderator:  NetCop