Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38668 - 16 Dec 06 10:36 Malaysians are bastards!
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
RI sends 50 teachers
to Malaysia, VP says

JAKARTA
Indonesia had so far sent 50 teachers to Malaysia to teach the children of Indonesians working in the neighboring country, Vice President Jusuf Kalla said after a meeting with Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister Datok Nadjib Tun Razak in Jakarta on Friday.
Previously, during his recent visit to Malaysia, Kalla had signed an agreement with the Malaysian government to send Indonesian teachers to Malaysia to teach the children of Indonesian migrant workers there.
To date, about 20,000 children of Indonesian migrant workers in Malaysia could not enter local schools as they were not Malaysian citizens, while their parents could not afford to send them to private schools.
Thus, it was agreed that the Indonesian government would send teachers and hire them for the children, and the Malaysian government would prepare the school sites. (ANT)

#38728 - 17 Dec 06 08:19 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
A somewhat benign statement when children of expats living in Indonesia are excluded from attending local schools , and local children seem to be excluded from attending international schools.
At least Malaysia has a far more reasonable policy towards expat married to malaysians .
I can only assume that you live in Indonesia on a KITAS because you have work here , rather than have a wife , children and a home .

#38729 - 17 Dec 06 08:26 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: James Hanratty
A somewhat benign statement when children of expats living in Indonesia are excluded from attending local schools , and local children seem to be excluded from attending international schools.

that is indeed true, but with the abysmal standard of indonesian schools, both government and private, would you allow your children to attend one? (presuming, of course, you had some choice in the matter.)

actually, one of my children does attend a state-operated school (yes, she's an foreign national), but i'm planning as soon as possible to send her to an "alternative" private school.

#38730 - 17 Dec 06 08:37 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet (penguins be upon him) rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men. "
-- Winston Churchill

#38734 - 17 Dec 06 10:10 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: riccardo]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Loc: The Big Durian
Nice quote Riccardo. Churchill is one of my heros. But don't you think you go a little too far sometimes living here in Indonesia criticizing and insulting Islam?

It's not exactly hard for someone to find out who you actually are, I think. As you've observed in your blog:

"All these deaths convey the same message: People in Indonesia who try to bring to light the truth about human rights violations and corruption cases, live dangerously."

Are you really willing to live dangerously for a country, that ultimately, I think you couldn't care less about?

I'd rather not be sitting beside you having a beer the day "they" come for you.

#38736 - 17 Dec 06 10:42 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: KuKuKaChu

that is indeed true, but with the abysmal standard of indonesian schools, both government and private, would you allow your children to attend one? (presuming, of course, you had some choice in the matter.)

actually, one of my children does attend a state-operated school (yes, she's an foreign national), but i'm planning as soon as possible to send her to an "alternative" private school.

Now drifting off topic-

I think we must be a little realistic before doing a hatchet job - I can't see how anyone who isn't married with children living in the situation that many expats find themselves in Indonesia is qualified to comment on such matters - though this comment drifts away from the original post - good schools ( national system) do exist in Indonesia , agreed , few and far between - a read of the quality of the posts made by some completely quantifies this statement - but it is equally important to realise that crap schools exist in the UK Australia ,US , Europe - there are crap schools everywhere , not just Indonesia . Some of the national-plus schools in Indonesia are very good , some are terrifyingly naive in their teaching methods .
Of course , we all operate with financial constraints , undortunately I cannot afford to but both children in the most expensive Internation school (well I suppose I could , but the Merc would have to go and I would start rumaging around dustbins after a couple of years )
Depending on how "bulefied" your children are , they may or may not be able to get away with studying at a normal school - one of mine is no problem , the other can't get away with it .

To get back on topic , a rather benign statement - I happen to consider that many US states do not prohibit marriage by minors ( some as young as 13) to be hypocracy gone mad - G-Dubs thinks he has a right to impose his views on "those dirty muzzies" , but he allows any dedicated kiddy fiddler to get his way quite legally with a bot of dough and a few Mogadon - now that is real backward .

#38739 - 17 Dec 06 11:02 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: xsbir]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: xsbir
Are you really willing to live dangerously for a country, that ultimately, I think you couldn't care less about?

I'd rather not be sitting beside you having a beer the day "they" come for you.

EVEN MORE OFF-TOPIC
Living Dangerously? Anything else would be boring and a wasted life. I'm a citizen of this world, shit is still shit even if I just happen to be living within the "borders" of what modern cartographers currently call Indonesia.

What is it that you fear that "they" will do. You can't convert a dog into a vegan by feeding him beef. You gotta make a stand and defend righteousness and call evil exactly what it is, just like Churchill did.

#38741 - 17 Dec 06 12:05 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Assuming of course you know what "righteousness" and "evil" are and in the correct context .
I happen to believe that "guests" living in the UK should keep their traps shut -

#38746 - 17 Dec 06 21:31 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pooh Bah

this is the problem. many foreigners in indonesia are not really guests. they actually *live* here. they are residents, not "expatriates".

most "normal" countries grant citizenship -- and thus political rights -- after a reasonable period of time. Australia is 3 years, US is 5 i think.

indonesia, on the other hand, denies political rights to immigrants. even if it were possible to meet the requirements for indoneisan citizenship (theoretically, 5 years continuous KITAS, 5 years KITAP), the cost is exhorbitant (USD10,000 minimum).

note that the above does not apply to foreign females who marry indonesian males, who are granted citizenship almost automatically. as we know, however, foreign females very rarely last more than a few years in indonesia.

#38747 - 17 Dec 06 21:55 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

I donít understand this Citizenship thing.

5 years isnít that long, and $10K isnít that much.

MANY Indonesian kids spend $30K studying accounting in Australia just to get PR, and after a 4 year wait (and now passing the new tests), take out citizenship. The question really is how motivated you areÖ..

If you REALLY wanted Indonesian citizenship you would have it

#38753 - 18 Dec 06 00:54 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Assuming of course you know what "righteousness" and "evil" are and in the correct context .
I happen to believe that "guests" living in the UK should keep their traps shut -

It's not difficult to see that corrupt thugs that steal food from the mouths of starving children, state-sponsored assassinations and blowing up holidaymakers in Bali is EVIL. If that is difficult for you to grasp, you've got a heck of lot of other serious personal issues to deal with and they have nothing to with me or my opinions.

AND your "guests" in the UK. Well, in CALif. where I used to live, they don't listen to what the rednecks think, they embrace the people that have come to participate in their collective success and greatly appreciate their opinions and constructive criticism.

AND THAT explains clearly why the UK is fast becoming an impoverished little insignificant island and CAlif is the most successful, wealthiest state in the wealthiest, most powerful country this planet has ever seen.

#38754 - 18 Dec 06 01:09 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Californians ay? On the beach, in the pool, skating down the road with their iPods on, having plastic surgery, gawd luv 'em. Us Brits? We're reading. That's right we're evolving over in Europe, we're thinking. The sooner the big earthquake comes and washes LA into Arizona Bay like the turd city it is the better. Arnie sums it all up:Big, brawny and with the intellectual capacity of a chap-stick.

#38756 - 18 Dec 06 01:31 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: Roy's Hair]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
Weeell I agree with Riccardo, Britain is errr, evolving into something alright, not Europe but Eurabia. I'd separate intellectual snobbery from it as well. California, just by itself, without the rest of America, will leave Britain in the dust.

#38757 - 18 Dec 06 01:51 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Geography lesson for all of the "reading", "evolving", "thinking" Euro-nerds that can't surf and still hold desperately onto all these asinine stereotypical myths while pondering Baywatch under the influence of too much of Aceh's finest:
LA is one little plasticized, entertainment-oriented TOWN among a thriving, dynamic STATE of 35 million people, nearly a million of whom have left behind the dreary ol' confines of the UK ("London's burning with boredom now..") to achieve their potential and further enrich the most prosperous place the world has ever known; and which has at least 6 universities that far outrank Ox-Bridge.

AND WE HAVE A TOWN CALLED REDDING TOO, EXCEPT WE KNOW HOW TO SPELL IT.

#38759 - 18 Dec 06 02:21 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: riccardo]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Loc: The Big Durian
Quoting: riccardo
...they don't listen to what the rednecks think, they embrace the people that have come to participate in their collective success and greatly appreciate their opinions and constructive criticism.

AND THAT explains clearly why the UK is fast becoming an impoverished little insignificant island and CAlif is the most successful, wealthiest state in the wealthiest, most powerful country this planet has ever seen.

The whole damned country that California is part of is full of red-necks. You only have to look at who they have for president.

If you want to use superlatives, the USA is the most arrogant country in world history, and is full of arrogant, overbearing rednecks. The above title should be changed to "Americans are..."

#38760 - 18 Dec 06 02:26 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: xsbir]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
I've often thought you can divide westerners, including americans themselves, into those who are pro-American and those who are anti-American, tells a lot about a person. Not sure where anti-Malaysian fits into it though.

#38764 - 18 Dec 06 02:48 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: riccardo]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Rankings from different sources
[edit] The World Factbook
According to The World Factbook published by the CIA, if California were an independent nation, it would have had the tenth largest economy in the world.

The rankings are:

the combined United States
China
Japan
India
Germany
United Kingdom
France
Italy
Russia
California
Brazil
Canada
Mexico
Spain
South Korea

Simple Math shows that if California were a seperate country the UK would outperform it....

Edited by KuKuKaChu (18 Dec 06 03:32)

#38766 - 18 Dec 06 02:50 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: Polar Bear]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

But non of this resolves the question, which is:

If California is so good...
And Indonesia so bad....

Why the fucking hell are you in Jakarta right now? smile

#38768 - 18 Dec 06 02:57 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: Patung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I think someone's got it all back-assward. The rednecks of the USA are the sweetest, most generous, most naive, welcoming folk anyone could ever meet. The Americans that are often quite arrogant are the world leaders in science and technology, the hundreds of Nobel winners, the hundreds of self-made billionaire entrepreneurs and CEOs of the largest, most influential corporations in the world.

I've never been one to defend "America" (I've long been a CALif. separatist) and I don't intend to start now, but methinks 'tis a tad shallow to label 300 million people as arrogant rednecks.

#38769 - 18 Dec 06 02:59 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: riccardo]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

The rednecks of the USA are the sweetest, most generous, most naive, welcoming folk anyone could ever meet.

I would agree there. The danger is most of them couldnt point to Indonesia on a map..... not even if you held a gun to their heads.

#38771 - 18 Dec 06 03:13 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: Polar Bear]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Polar Bear
But non of this resolves the question, which is:

If California is so good...
And Indonesia so bad....

Why the fucking hell are you in Jakarta right now? smile

Life is never a zero-sum game. I mentioned much earlier in this thread that CA welcomes immigrants to express views and RI does not, that's it. Then others pipe up and whinge about how horrible CA is so I set 'em straight. Does that mean that, me myself, should automatically desire to live someplace other than the place I have chosen to live? Does that mean I must now say that everything about my previous home is bad and everything about my current is good? If one of my dogs were stupid, undisciplined and loyal and the other is smart and obedient and loyal, would that mean I could no longer feed or be loyal to the stupid one? There are a lot more qualities to people, countries and dogs than the soundbites like good or bad. Good country does not always mean good life for everyone. Bad country does not always mean bad life for everyone.

And PB et al, why do you care about what I say, do or where I live? It's flattering in a way, but I can't see how it concerns you at all.

#38772 - 18 Dec 06 03:27 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

it'd be really nice if a few hard facts could be injected into this discussion smile ... just a thought.

this "my-dick-is-bigger-than-your-dick" stuff will end up nowhere! smile

#38779 - 18 Dec 06 04:27 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: riccardo]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

And PB et al, why do you care about what I say, do or where I live? It's flattering in a way, but I can't see how it concerns you at all.

Well, its rather like squatting in someone elseís spare room, then complaining about the noise of the TV. smile smile smile

I do know that some of the anti Islamic comments (including mine) have offended some of the people on this site.

I think itís a fair question to ask why, when you obviously find the country and the predominant religion so unpalatable, you still live there?

I donít like Melbourne, Moscow and Madrid. I donít live thereÖ..

#38795 - 18 Dec 06 05:21 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: Polar Bear]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I see. Squatting. Yes that's what I'm doing.

So PB, would it make YOUR life a lot more content if I just picked up and moved away to someplace that YOU deem acceptable for ME to live?

Would YOU be more fulfilled as a human if I censored MY thoughts to suit YOUR parameters?

I still don't see where it concerns YOU and don't speak for "others" on the board. I know many of them personally, and they know me as an approachable person with whom they can freely express disagreement in a civil manner without using stereotypical, derogatory labels for me.

#38796 - 18 Dec 06 05:29 Re: Malaysians are bastards! [Re: riccardo]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ricc, you are living in someone elseís country. That is squatting.

To do so and then to complain about the state of the country or its people is a bit rude.

Its not ME who deems what is acceptable, it is YOU who keeps complaining about how unacceptable Indonesia is. YOU find Indonesia unacceptable. (I donít give a shit about the place).

Its simple, either live with it or move!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop