Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38552 - 14 Dec 06 10:15 RI media on GAM Victory
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta

A RECAP OF THE INDONESIAN PRESS THE DAY AFTER THE HISTORICAL VOTE IN ACEH (reposted from grsb.JakChat.com)

While the Aceh papers scream in huge print:
GAM VICTORIOUS
GAM TAKES ACEH IN LANDSLIDE

The Jawa media and officials spin into full denial mode, focusing almost exclusively on the peaceful nature of the voting, and demonstrably downplaying the fact that GAM has won and the people sent a loud and clear message of rejection to jawa. There were no OP/ED stories, just mundane little news stories about almost everything except the actual result.

The JP said in its lead story 1st para:
"The central government called on all sides to keep monitoring the vote counting in Aceh..."

3rd Para -- "President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono warned that ballots were still being counted and called on the public be alert to possible vote-rigging..."

4th para -- "Worrying that a former GAM leader is ahead in the vote is excessive. What's important for the President is the elections ran smoothly and transparently."

And later this little gem: "LSI director Denny JA said Irwandi's lead could not have been predicted because he was an unpopular figure in Aceh."

BUT at the end it gets rather cryptic, presumably quoting unnamed *analysts*, and thus planting a seed that something may have been amiss: "Analysts have alleged that the central government was fully aware that the Acehnese would favor GAM figures, and might have approached GAM candidates to ensure Aceh would remain under Jakarta's control."

In a second story in JP they give us this little tidbit:
"Driver Nasir and civil servant Agusdi separately expressed surprise at the results, but suggested that Irwandi had a wide base "among the lesser educated and lesser informed people" "

And then this: Satyo, another civil servant, insisted that despite the results, "many people want the old figures".

AND they keep reminding us about the *OFFICIAL* result:
The Independent Election Committee is scheduled to announce the official results on Jan. 2.

AND more seeds of doubt to plant again by these "anal ysts", except this time there are "many": Many analysts had expected a second round of voting, saying none of the eight pairs would secure the minimum of 25 percent plus 1 vote.

THE POINT was probably worse than that, with just one story that somehow fails to mention GAM, Irwandi or the result (they call it the lead) until deep into the middle of the story.

Kompas focused on the safety of the election and mentioned 4 times in one story that the "quick count" was in no way official.

Detik.com is still focused on YaYaYa IZtiny and UH-oh Gym with the occasional blurb about the safety of the election and fact that the OFFICIAL result will only be known on Jan. 2

#38603 - 15 Dec 06 05:39 Re: RI media on GAM Victory [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

In Thursday's papers and online news sources, the reality seems to be setting in and now these java journos, anal ysts and military people have the arrogance to issue instructions to GAM and Irwandi on how to govern Aceh.

IN the JP editorial, there is curiously NO MENTION OF IRWANDI JUSUF OR HIS LANDSLIDE VICTORY. I wonder how much effort that took to discuss this historic election without even mentioning the winner. In their other stories, however, there was a more pragmatic look at it. Curiously, in the story filed by their Aceh stringer, they keep quoting the % of votes for Irwandi of 24.80% so far. THIS seems like a very odd number indeed and it's remained the exact same for the past two days. That may well be correct in these early stages of the manual count, but remember if nobody "officially" gets 25%, then there will be a run-off election between the top 2 (Both of whom have GAM connections). Seed-planting again so nobody will be shocked when the machinations of the corrupt rig the count.

AND they keep reminding us in every article:

"The results are still provisional so we cannot say who has won yet."

Detik.com is now being much more realistic and discussing things like Irwandi has indeed won, and addressing other questions to officials.
ONE in particular struck me as odd. Their reporter, sudibyo triono asked the TNI chief if there were some "games" being played (RI euphemism for corruption/vote-rigging), but does not make clear if he was asking about the campaign, the vote, the quick count or all of the above. The chief's response was, "I have no comment, that is politics and everybody knows the TNI is no longer involved in politics..."

THE POINT's editorial focused on the "phenomenon" of independent candidates and posited that it meant a rejection of established political parties. Good gracious, it's like, let's say anything as long as we do not actually admit the fact that the people of Aceh chose a GAM guy because they like GAM's principles and perseverance and integrity.

IN Full Denial.
These poor java journos have had it drilled into their heads for decades that "GAM is the very epitome of evil and nobody likes them", so now they are searching like blind puppies in a labyrinth for excuses as to why so many people voted for them.

GET OVER IT GANG, you were lied to and duped by your government, schools and official news, and the great majority of Acehnese have never wavered in the support, love and respect for GAM.

#38606 - 15 Dec 06 07:09 Re: RI media on GAM Victory [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I see "official, provisional results" today show Jusuf leading with just over 26%, raising the possiblity of a runoff.

#38607 - 15 Dec 06 07:56 Re: RI media on GAM Victory [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The only way there will be a run-off is if there is some monkey business. It might also be better to refer to the new governor as Irwandi, because there was another guy with "Jusuf" as his surname running. That would be TNI General Djali Yusuf, who is running in dead last place with about 3% of the vote.

#38626 - 16 Dec 06 01:15 Re: RI media on GAM Victory [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Interesting stuff. Now let's get the ol' Mornin' Star flying in West Papua

#38650 - 16 Dec 06 08:51 Re: RI media on GAM Victory [Re: Roy's Hair]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Don't want to confuse the two.

You were up early Roy's Hair. Why so? Might see you at the Christmas party later on if they let me out of my cage early.

#38694 - 17 Dec 06 02:24 Re: RI media on GAM Victory [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Who's Eye is that peeping through the Pappa's toilets glory hole?

#38990 - 20 Dec 06 04:32 Re: RI media on GAM Victory [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

FABIO S. Has a good piece on Aceh in today's South China Morning Post.

Amputation for thieves angers Aceh

FABIO SCARPELLO
Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A draft sharia law in Aceh that calls for thieves to have their hands chopped off has angered many in the province.

But the local religious authority says the law is not a big deal and reflects the will of the people.

Local human rights activist Aguswandi has called the proposal "absurd and unacceptable" and said corruption, rather than common theft, should be punished.

"If they really want the law it should target corruptors as they damage society much more," said the activist, reflecting what most local activists think.

Aceh is Indonesia's fourth poorest province and its most corrupt. Transparency International rates Indonesia among the most corrupt nations in the world.

"They have taken advantage of the election and drafted this proposal while most people's attention was focused elsewhere," added Aguswandi, who like many Indonesians has only one name.

Aceh last week held its first direct vote to elect the governor, his deputy and 19 district heads and mayors. The election followed a peace agreement between independence rebels and Jakarta.

Aceh is the only province empowered to apply the sharia law in full. But critics are already saying its applications are biased against the poor and women.

"It is not a matter of being against sharia; I am a Muslim and I am not against it in principle," women's advocate Arabiyani said. "It is a matter of having a fair sharia that does not target the most vulnerable and does not put its emphasis on punishment."

In the past 15 months, 135 people have been beaten for crimes such as drinking alcohol, gambling or having illicit relations with the opposite sex. Women also face lashes for not wearing their headscarves properly in public.

But Dhiauddin, vice-chairman of Aceh's Dinas Sharia Islam, the office entrusted to legislate on the sharia and supervise its implementation, said the matter had been blown out of proportion.

"This regulation cannot be simplified as if hand amputation is the only punishment for robbery," he said, adding they were only proposing a law that reflected Acehnese will.

"It is like this: the community asked us to make regulations on what should be the punishment for a thief according to sharia. And sharia says that thieves can be punished with lashes or finger amputation," he explained. "But it depends on the case."

The draft law needs the approval of the provincial government and the signature of the governor to be made into law.

Irwandi Yusuf, the former GAM rebel who is ahead in the counting of the votes for the province's top job, has already said he will not sign the decree. The election result will be known on January 2.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop