Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38474 - 14 Dec 06 01:27 Seafood (Roadside)
rainman Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Am planning to set up something like that around South Jakarta.

Open Air Seafood Restaurant. Not actually roadside but looking at a land area of say 400-1000Sq Mtr That can be used/leased and converted into a Temporary kind of shed.

If u know of somewhere or somebody regarding the place/land. Kindly let me know. South Jakarta means from Blok M Till Citos.

Thanks guys for reading and all suggestion welcome.

Cheers
Rainman

Edited by rainman (14 Dec 06 01:30)

#38493 - 14 Dec 06 03:18 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: rainman]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
are you sure that people actually want open-air restaurants? people here seem to more like air-con places. open air is for the poor, and indonesians don't like to be considered poor. what do you think?

#38494 - 14 Dec 06 03:23 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
I agree with Kuku on this one... could be a good idea in Bali 'coz of the number of tourists who digs that kind of thing, but Jakarta...

#38499 - 14 Dec 06 03:36 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Orang Kanada]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Smoked Prawns, extra carbon monoxide! Yummy

#38501 - 14 Dec 06 03:55 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: KuKuKaChu]
rainman Offline

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
are you sure that people actually want open-air restaurants? people here seem to more like air-con places. open air is for the poor, and indonesians don't like to be considered poor. what do you think?

It's coming UP...

Drive around the south and u will notice. How about the place behind La Paizza??? And Also in from of BSD Plazza in Serpong??

More important issue is controlling there heat..

Any suggestion??

Cheers

Edited by rainman (14 Dec 06 03:56)

#38503 - 14 Dec 06 03:58 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Orang Kanada]
rainman Offline

Quoting: Orang Kanada
I agree with Kuku on this one... could be a good idea in Bali 'coz of the number of tourists who digs that kind of thing, but Jakarta...

South Jakarta is really not Jakarta if I may say.

I invite you guys there when I find the perfect place..... What is important is that there should be ample parking space..

Target Customer - average Indonesian.

#38504 - 14 Dec 06 04:02 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Dilli]
rainman Offline

Quoting: Dilli
Smoked Prawns, extra carbon monoxide! Yummy

Yup... Specialities would be Chili Crab.....

Anything else??

#38554 - 14 Dec 06 11:12 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: rainman]
Shesca Offline
Member*

So rainman:

You want to be near a shopping mall/alone?
Both have their pros and cons.
Being near a shopping mall at least you are sure you are near where the crowd is. However, people would generally need to park their car somewhere where they have to walk several minutes before reaching the place. So unless you are REALLY special in any terms (unique recipe, taste, service etc) or you do great promotion, being a start up you will face challenge first few months.
If you want to stand alone, you need to be near the housing area. But you will have the parking space right next to you so people can go directly to your place. But again, on this one a to of effort need to be put in promotion to make the business successful. Indonesians like to gossip and they go to the place where people talk the most about. And they are easily influenced. I know this is quite a general behavior of anybody from any countries, but Indonesians have much stronger tendency than others. smile

Correct me if Im wrong, but from my observation, most of open air sea food restaurants in Jakarta that targets middle class have flaw in one way or another. Some offer good taste, but poor service, some offer both but poor in hygiene, etc. So if you can combine it all, I can guarantee your place will pull the crowd. And dont forget consistency. Just an amateur opinion smile

#38569 - 15 Dec 06 00:16 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Shesca]
rainman Offline

Thanks, that was contributive indeed and I sincerely appreciate it.

It could be anyway but in the South, Indonesian do not mind traveling for food. That's the only thing we could do to past time here anyway. hehe. The only issue as in any other restaurant biz is the parking. This is the only country I know of that a table of 5-6 pax would usually meant at least 2 cars. I wonder would they trust valet parking for roadside restaurant?? lolz

U are very right in saying that word of mouth beat any promotion and advertising, this country love gossip and they are worried of been left behind. If somebody claim a particular place sells good food, they would definitely make an effort to locate it and try it. So the initial period is important in term of service and quality. If u have notice, the prices we pay at the roadside seafood stall is no cheaper then the smaller restaurant or at time more expensive. For some simple crab and fish would cost 3 of us about Rup150k. That is no small amount for any Jakartan but they still prefer the stall then the restaurant.

Anyway, we have the idea and planning done. What we want is a place ..... Can anybody help?

Thanks ya

#38682 - 16 Dec 06 17:09 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: rainman]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
I wouldn't let anyone park a becak yet alone anything worth more than 1 J rupiah . As for food , cook good indonesian as a westerner would enjoy it , you won't gor wrong . Bule don't like fried spare parts .

#38686 - 16 Dec 06 21:10 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

What about a sort of Hooters Seafood place. short skirts, big boobed girls (eg Shesca).

They could all wear T shirts saying "We give you Crabs".....

#38690 - 16 Dec 06 23:34 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Polar Bear]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Will definitely the target for FPI crowd. And btw, HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL U THAT I AM 30A? Asshole!!

#38691 - 17 Dec 06 00:08 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Shesca]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Hmm. 30A....Not judging by the Jakchatchitterchatter photos you're not! Men notice these things!

#38745 - 17 Dec 06 21:17 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Dilli]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

When Shesca takes her bra off she look like she has four knees....

asshole???? thats Mr Asshole to you!!!

#38983 - 20 Dec 06 03:03 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Polar Bear]
rainman Offline

Huh,.,.. Thanks for hijacking mate.

#39015 - 20 Dec 06 09:50 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: rainman]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Welcome to JakChat, Rainman. Where doesnt matter what the topic title is always end up with discussion that is sex-related smile

#39023 - 20 Dec 06 16:28 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Shesca]
rainman Offline

Well well..... Sex is something but not everything man...

Cheers

PS: IN Sin now.... see u guys soon..... maybe for countdown in Blk M??

#39079 - 21 Dec 06 12:28 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: rainman]
AriesRabbit Offline
Member+

Loc: Jakarta for Now
Hi rainman, i m actually selling pos system for f&b. If ur interested, let me know. I also have equipments like from kitchen equipment to restaurant setup to food supplier for seafood. As for the pos system you can check out my website www.pointsoft.com or you can drop me a pm

#39096 - 21 Dec 06 23:45 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: AriesRabbit]
AriesRabbit Offline
Member+

Loc: Jakarta for Now
I had a problem with my website, pls check the alternative websites www.pointsoft.com.my/.co.jp/.com.au/

#39113 - 22 Dec 06 01:22 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: AriesRabbit]
Shesca Offline
Member*

I can help you for the space, Rainman. Let me know ifyou're interested.

#39184 - 22 Dec 06 07:03 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: rainman]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: rainman
This is the only country I know of that a table of 5-6 pax would usually meant at least 2 cars.

I am not sure of your experience in the West then... frown

#39890 - 04 Jan 07 04:55 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Polar Bear]
rainman Offline

West as in USA?

I hv not been there. U want to comment?

Cheers

#39928 - 04 Jan 07 23:34 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: rainman]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

well, in my limited experience, 6 people turning up at mcDonalds in the USA is likely to mean 4-5 cars.

#39944 - 05 Jan 07 02:00 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: Polar Bear]
rainman Offline

Noted likewise down under ya?

These places do have ample parking lots with wider street, empty land (Suburbs I mean) and of course better planning and vision for car park no?

Here? OMG.... When Citos first open for biz... told me one hour to find a parking lot in the brand new cramped car park. I notice and I might be wrong. Their car park lots is still meant for the 70th Nissan 120 kind of car..... So .... Sigh

#46858 - 07 Mar 07 01:47 Re: Seafood (Roadside) [Re: rainman]
benrahal Offline

I have got a place near fatmawati ITC.please ring 0816953419.
Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop