Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38412 - 13 Dec 06 07:09 Intelligence chief botches quiz
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Incoming House intelligence chief botches easy intel quiz
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Silvestre Reyes of Texas, who incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has tapped to head the Intelligence Committee when the Democrats take over in January, failed a quiz of basic questions about al Qaeda and Hezbollah, two of the key terrorist organizations the intelligence community has focused on since the September 11, 2001 attacks.

When asked by CQ National Security Editor Jeff Stein whether al Qaeda is one or the other of the two major branches of Islam -- Sunni or Shiite -- Reyes answered "they are probably both," then ventured "Predominantly -- probably Shiite."

That is wrong. Al Qaeda was founded by Osama bin Laden as a Sunni organization and views Shiites as heretics.

Reyes could also not answer questions put by Stein about Hezbollah, a Shiite group on the U.S. list of terrorist organizations that is based in Southern Lebanon.

Stein's column about Reyes' answers was published on CQ's Web site Friday evening.

In an interview with CNN, Stein said he was "amazed" by Reyes' lack of what he considers basic information about two of the major terrorists organizations.

"If you're the baseball commissioner and you don't know the difference between the Yankees and the Red Sox, you don't know baseball," Stein said. "You're not going to have the respect of the people you work with."

While Stein said Reyes is "not a stupid guy," his lack of knowledge said it could hamper Reyes' ability to provide effective oversight of the intelligence community, Stein believes.

"If you don't have the basics, how do you effectively question the administration?" he asked. "You don't know who is on first."

Stein said Reyes is not the only member of the House Intelligence Committee that he has interviewed that lacked what he considered basic knowledge about terrorist organizations.

"It kind of disgusts you, because these guys are supposed to be tending your knitting," Stein said. "Most people are rightfully appalled."

Pelosi picked Reyes over fellow Californian Rep. Jane Harman, who had been the Intelligence Committee's ranking member, and Rep. Alcee Hastings of Florida, who had been impeached as a federal judge after being accused of taking a bribe.

Calls from CNN to Reyes' office asking for reaction to Stein's column have not been returned.

#38416 - 13 Dec 06 07:22 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: Piss Salon]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Piss Salon
When asked by CQ National Security Editor Jeff Stein whether al Qaeda is one or the other of the two major branches of Islam -- Sunni or Shiite -- Reyes answered "they are probably both," then ventured "Predominantly -- probably Shiite."
Reyes could also not answer questions put by Stein about Hezbollah, a Shiite group on the U.S. list of terrorist organizations that is based in Southern Lebanon.

OMG ... so much for "american intelligence" ... sort of explains a lot.

#38418 - 13 Dec 06 07:56 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
AND FOX NeWS and their NEOCON buddies laugh all the way to the bank! They will bring this up time and again in the '08 election and harp on the fact that these ignorant liberal Democrats don't even "know who's on first"! THey HATE Pelosi and the DEMs and they will crucify her and them with this.

They'll rant on about the security cost of voting for ignorant liberal Democrats....

BUT, I'll bet this Reyes fella from his little district in Texas knows how many uneducated, unemployed ex-farm workers are on the dole. AND I'll bet this Reyes fella knows how little he is spending on school facilities like computers and gymnasiums, and the huge amount he is spending on "racial-sensitivity" programming and free "bi-lingual" education to undocumented Mexicans and unwashed Ebonics speakers. And I'll bet he knows exactly how much money he is skimming from those coffers as the schools in his district score lower than the schools in Eritrea on science, geography and math tests.

#38419 - 13 Dec 06 08:05 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: riccardo]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Well sorry guys, but I found this :

From the New Haven Advocate
Dec 01, 2006 -
Christopher Lohse, a psychiatric researcher at southern connecticut state university, has completed a study wherein he examined the political preferences of psychotic and emotionally disturbed patients.
His conclusion is that there is a direct link between mental illness and support for President Bush.
From the New Haven Advocate:
-Lohse's study is no joke. The thesis drew on a survey of psychiatric outpatients in three Connecticut locations during the 2004 presidential election. Lohse’s study, backed by SCSU Psychology professor Jaak Rakfeldt and statistician Misty Ginacola, found a correlation between the severity of a person’s psychosis and their preferences for president: The more psychotic the voter, the more likely they were to vote for Bush.
The study was an advocacy project of sorts, originally designed to register mentally ill voters and encourage them to go to the polls, Lohse explains. The Bush trend was revealed later on.
The study used Modified General Assessment Functioning, or MGAF, a 100-point scale that measures the functioning of disabled patients. A second scale, developed by Rakfeldt, was also used. Knowledge of current issues, government and politics were assessed on a 12-item scale devised by the study authors.
“Bush supporters had significantly less knowledge about current issues, government and politics than those who supported Kerry,” the study says.
Lohse says the trend isn’t unique to Bush: A 1977 study by Frumkin & Ibrahim found mentally ill patients preferred Nixon over McGovern in the 1972 election.-

-moby (pop rock/techno singer)

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#38433 - 13 Dec 06 11:15 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: Macan Tutul]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
Well I voted for both Nixon and Bush so, anyway. When unmedicated I am known to have a strong preference for Pat Buchanan.

They didn't mention Barry Goldwater?

#38437 - 13 Dec 06 12:18 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: Patung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Mike Dukakis. Now there was a sex machine

#38448 - 13 Dec 06 20:25 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: Roy's Hair]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Well of course everyone is pointing a finger at Bush and saying “Look what he did!”

But being raving left wingers, they don’t give a fuck about the dead US service personnel. Just as in Vietnam they bleat on endlessly about the dead Iraqis. After all USMC are imperialist aggressors who bayonet babies!!!

So lets take a step back in time, not that long ago, to the heady early 1990s….

Trouble began to brew in Somalia during the late 1980's. President Said Barre had seized power on 21 Oct 1969 and established a Supreme Revolutionary Council. Armed opposition to Barre began in the north in 1988 and he was forced to flee on 27 Jan 1991. Civil/tribal war soon followed. Controlling the distribution of food was the key to winning this war, so whoever controlled the port kept control of the food for their clan. They could then dole it out the sub-clans to gain more power and soldiers. The people were starved as an instrument of war.
President Bush made the decision in late 1992 that the US would secure the distribution of food and so prevent the famine from growing worse.
By May 1993 Clinton was in power, and the mission to secure food distribution was declared a success.

Just like Bush declaring the mission to overthrow Saddam a success. And then, just like Bush, Clinton decided to stick around and “improve things”.

By June 93 several clans were in open warfare with US an coalition troops. The similarity to Iraq is astounding. The photograph of a humvee destroyed by a roadside bomb looks like Iraq, but is Somalia, 8th Ausust 1993.

So Bill Clinton lost his nerve, and pulled out. Just like everyone is demanding Bush pull out of Iraq.

So lets look at Somalia now: Starving people, genocide of the Oromos, controlled by the Supreme Islamic Council of Somalia (SICS), it is embroiled in internal and external wars. The death toll, if you could get into the country and count it, would be far higher than Iraq.

But hell, thats Clinton and he was a Democrat. We don’t talk about their failures.

#38522 - 14 Dec 06 08:01 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: Polar Bear]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

David Duke?

TEHRAN, Iran — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's conference questioning the Holocaust came to an end Tuesday, but not before hearing former KKK Imperial Wizard David Duke say that gas chambers were not used to kill Jews.

"The Zionists have used the Holocaust as a weapon to deny the rights of the Palestinians and cover up the crimes of Israel," Duke told a gathering of nearly 70 "researchers" in Tehran at Ahmadinejad's invitation.

"This conference has an incredible impact on Holocaust studies all over the world," said Duke, a former state representative in Louisiana who twice ran for president.

"The Holocaust is the device used as the pillar of Zionist imperialism, Zionist aggression, Zionist terror and Zionist murder," Duke told The Associated Press.

#38526 - 14 Dec 06 08:52 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

David Duke, they might have forgotten to mention, was also the Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

"string up all them niggras and yids together" -- David Duke, 1992

#38529 - 14 Dec 06 09:02 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think that is mentioned in the introduction there riccardo. Not the quote though. Did he really say that?

#38530 - 14 Dec 06 09:08 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: Piss Salon]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

there were no gas chambers at Belsen......

And the ones at Dachau were never used.

#38532 - 14 Dec 06 09:10 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

In 1978, Duke left the Klan and two years later formed the National Association for the Advancement of White People (NAAWP).

On May 20, 2004, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) became outraged when it discovered that David Duke had chosen New Orleans to host his International NAAWP Conference during the NAACP's Big Easy Rally

#38533 - 14 Dec 06 09:12 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Using the pseudonym Dorothy Vanderbilt, Duke published a self-help book for women, titled Finders-Keepers, in 1976. The publication gives advice to women regarding vaginal exercises, fellatio, analingus, and anal sex.

#38534 - 14 Dec 06 09:12 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

He became famous on campus for wearing a Nazi uniform while picketing and holding parties on the anniversary of the birth of Adolf Hitler.

#38537 - 14 Dec 06 09:18 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

"I won my constituency. I won 55 percent of the white vote."

--Duke, after losing the Louisiana gubernatorial race,
quoted in The News (Dallas, TX), December 19, 1991

#38538 - 14 Dec 06 09:21 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

"...but their (African-Americans) differences ranged all the way from physical characteristics to more subtle differences such as extreme aversion for work in cold weather. On cold days, when I felt invigorated, my black co-workers seemed lethargic."

From Duke's book, My Awakening, p. 29 (1998)

#38539 - 14 Dec 06 09:21 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

"What we really want to do is to be left alone. We don't want Negroes around. We don't need Negroes around. We're not asking �� you know, we don't want to have them, you know, for our culture. We simply want our own country and our own society. That's in no way exploitive at all. We want our own society, our own nation...."

- Duke interview 1985

#38540 - 14 Dec 06 09:22 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

"White people don't need a law against rape, but if you fill this room up with your normal black bucks, you would, because niggers are basically primitive animals.

"It's really the Jew Marxists who see the nigger as their instrument, as their bullets, by which to destroy our society."

David Duke, from "The Sun" (Wichita, KS), April 23, 1975

(note: the term "bucks" is a reference to the male blacks used by slave owners and slave traders)

#38542 - 14 Dec 06 09:25 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

"They're trying to exterminate our race. I think, probably in a moral sense, the Jewish people have been a blight. I mean as a whole, not every Jew. And they probably deserve to go into the ashbin of history. But saying that and actually shooting or killing people in masses, are two different things. I'm not advocating extermination. I think the best thing is to resettle them in someplace where they can't exploit others. And I don't think they can live among themselves, I really don't."

--Duke, 1978

#38543 - 14 Dec 06 09:28 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

"Of course you know the miracle of AIDS, we all do. It's the only disease that turns fruits into vegetables."

--A reference to homosexuals ("fruits"), 1993 sound bite from Duke radio show

#38550 - 14 Dec 06 10:05 Re: Intelligence chief botches quiz [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Jesus. Somebody shoot him.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop