Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38373 - 13 Dec 06 02:53 GAM VICTORY, JAWA DEFEAT
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Now that the Free Aceh Movement (GAM), and their millions of supporters, have sent a loud and clear message of rejection to Jakarta by overwhelmingly choosing a hardcore GAM cadre, what does the future hold?

Irwandi Jusuf, the U.S.-educated doctor, who was imprisoned by the government of Indonesia (during Megawati's administration) for treason due to his work as a GAM negotiator in peace talks in 2003, has been given a massive mandate by the people of Aceh.

His deputy is no less controversial in the eyes of nationalists on Java. Muhammad Nazar of the Center for Information on a Referendum for Aceh (SIRA)led nearly 2 million people in 1999 in a rousing freedom demonstration, demanding a referendum to separate from Indonesia. He was later imprisoned by the military, which included a fair amount of beatings and humiliation. More on him here http://hrw.org/english/docs/2000/11/21/indone573.htm
and here: http://www.achehtimes.com/civil_movements/sira/reports/profile.htm

SO WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

More than anything, it means that the majority of Acehnese support GAM and SIRA, and intensely dislike all the "favors" given to them by the central government.

SO DOES THIS MEAN SHARIA LAW AND OPPRESSION OF WOMEN WILL INTENSIFY?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! GAM never has been ultra-religious, they are essentially a secular, separatist movement vying for freedom. Sharia was created by the Javanese to exert more control over Aceh by "giving them what they want" as part of an earlier toothless autonomy package. Essentially, a couple of TNI generals proposed the Sharia thing to a handful of Acehnese religious leaders, who dutifully said 'okay fine.' The TNI, and their mates BIN, then suddenly had a new batallion of uniformed men to spy on and control the population.

Irwandi Yusuf is determined to turn back Aceh's politicization of Islam, in the form lately of a superficial and restrictive imposition of sharia law that has seen women reprimanded for not wearing the jilbab headdress, and unmarried couples prosecuted for holding hands in public.

"This is not real sharia law," the urbane, softly spoken former veterinary science professor said yesterday. "Sharia should not be about seeing what people are doing wrong, but about increasing the prosperity of the people. Instead of targeting the most vulnerable, we should be targeting the most corrupt." (theaustralian.news.com.au, Dec. 2006)

Leaders of GAM argue the central government has imposed Sharia in a bid to portray GAM as fundamentalists and draw western support for its violent clampdown on insurgents. Other leading Acehnese also argue the move is disingenuous. Afraid to resist its introduction during the conflict, Acehnese are now being bullied into accepting Sharia law, says Fuad Mardhatillah, a Canadian-educated Acehnese expert in Islamic philosophy.

"People aren't brave enough to speak up," he says. "They are so afraid of being condemned for not being good Muslims." (f-t.com, Oct. 2006)

Irwandi said yesterday that the first thing he planned to do was get rid of all this "feudalism and other archaic rules" that are hampering the progress toward a modern, international standard of democracy. He added that, "I am an egalitarian" with a special reference to treating women as true equals in the modern sense.

Here's a quote from one of Irwandi's cohorts, a GAM spokesperson:

"Notably the leadership of GAM, or the Free Aceh Movement, which negotiated the now year-long peace deal with Jakarta, maintains the implementation of democracy and not Sharia is its priority, and says that public floggings, for instance, are not part of Aceh's Islamic tradition.

For GAM, what we fight for is democracy. If those elected by the people would be an Islamic party, and they want to create and an Islamic government according to how they see it, then by all means, why not? But you have seen the Islam that is implemented in Aceh.

So for the state, what is the business of the state dictating how women should dress? It's ridiculous.

So, my answer is that what we want in Aceh is true democracy. Why? Democracy works elsewhere, why not in Indonesia, why not in Aceh? We want to be an example for the whole of Indonesia."
(abc.net.au Sept. 2006)

GAM has made it clear they are not fighting for an Islamic state, and Hasballah Sa'ad, a former minister for human rights who is Acehnese himself, said Sharia would do nothing to appease GAM and other independence activists.

"We know some people in Aceh have wanted to apply Sharia since the 1950s, but GAM has never asked for Sharia," Sa'ad said. (Guerin atimes.com 2005)

For more denouncements of Sharia law by GAM leaders check these sites:
http://www.wwrn.org/article.php?idd=22423&con=19&sec=59
http://home.snafu.de/watchin/GAMengl.htm

OKAY THEN, WHAT ABOUT THE POLITICAL SITUATION?

This could get very dodgy indeed. There are two forces at work here, 1, the central government (including the now-enraged Army and other javanese nationalists) and 2, the current Aceh parliamentarians. The provincial MPs were voted in during the JAWA Army's brutal occupation in 2004 and nobody with even a hint of GAM sympathy got anywhere near a polling station, let alone being allowed to run for a seat.

The central government can do little, if anything, *legally* to hinder Irwandi and the people of Aceh in their quest to introduce sweeping reforms in one of the most corrupt provinces in Indonesia -- rated as one of the most corrupt nations on this planet. The TNI does have lots of power and leverage, most of it involving violence and intimidation. They also have thousands of soldiers on the ground in Aceh and perhaps tens of thousands of potential militia members at their beck and call. I strongly believe that SBY and JK will be able to contain the TNI generals' fury for the sake of not losing face as the international community keeps its eye on Aceh and applauds the democratic election and peace process.

The provincial legislature (DPRD) is filled to the brim with anti-GAM, pro-TNI legislators. This will mean, in the short-term, that many of the sweeping laws and changes that the new governor wants to implement will not go through very easily, if at all. If, on the other hand, the DPRD boys see the writing on the wall and hope to be re-elected in 2009, they'd better start thinking about working with the governor, whom the voters overwhelmingly chose, rather than against him and lose the coveted DPRD seat. Expect some backdoor machinations here too, with these pro-TNI MPs doing the bidding of the generals in jawa despite the ruination of their political careers in Aceh. For many Aceh MPs, the rewards (TNI "favors") will outweigh the risks (losing their seats in 2009).

If Irwandi, Nazar and the GAM-Sira folks do a credible job, expect a mass changing of seats in 2009 at the provincial parliament, much like the complete line changes in ice hockey, where a new team comes flying off the bench to replace all the guys stumbling in off the ice. And after that, Aceh will have it's country back in many senses, and there should be many changes for the good.

WILL ACEH BECOME AN INDEPENDENT NATION STATE LIKE EAST TIMOR?

In the short term, no. In the long-term, possibly. Much will depend on how jakarta and the jawa nationalists respond to this resounding "defeat". If everybody plays nice, Aceh will prosper as a happy little province within Indonesia. If not, all bets are off.

#38398 - 13 Dec 06 04:40 Re: GAM VICTORY, JAWA DEFEAT [Re: riccardo]
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
WILL ACEH BECOME AN INDEPENDENT NATION STATE LIKE EAST TIMOR? In the short term, no. In the long-term, possibly.

Will it become a basket case like Timor?

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY!!!!

#38405 - 13 Dec 06 05:43 Re: GAM VICTORY, JAWA DEFEAT [Re: riccardo]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quoting: riccardo
SO DOES THIS MEAN SHARIA LAW AND OPPRESSION OF WOMEN WILL INTENSIFY?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

"This is not real sharia law," the urbane, softly spoken former veterinary science professor said yesterday. "Sharia should not be about seeing what people are doing wrong, but about increasing the prosperity of the people. Instead of targeting the most vulnerable, we should be targeting the most corrupt." (theaustralian.news.com.au, Dec. 2006)

Leaders of GAM argue the central government has imposed Sharia in a bid to portray GAM as fundamentalists and draw western support for its violent clampdown on insurgents. Other leading Acehnese also argue the move is disingenuous. Afraid to resist its introduction during the conflict, Acehnese are now being bullied into accepting Sharia law, says Fuad Mardhatillah, a Canadian-educated Acehnese expert in Islamic philosophy.

"People aren't brave enough to speak up," he says. "They are so afraid of being condemned for not being good Muslims." (f-t.com, Oct. 2006)

Irwandi said yesterday that the first thing he planned to do was get rid of all this "feudalism and other archaic rules" that are hampering the progress toward a modern, international standard of democracy. He added that, "I am an egalitarian" with
a special reference to treating women as true equals in the modern sense.
Here's a quote from one of Irwandi's cohorts, a GAM spokesperson:

"Notably the leadership of GAM, or the Free Aceh Movement, which negotiated the now year-long peace deal with Jakarta, maintains the implementation of democracy and not Sharia is its priority, and says that public floggings, for instance, are not part of Aceh's Islamic tradition.

For GAM, what we fight for is democracy. If those elected by the people would be an Islamic party, and they want to create and an Islamic government according to how they see it, then by all means, why not? But you have seen the Islam that is implemented in Aceh.

So for the state, what is the business of the state dictating how women should dress? It's ridiculous.

So, my answer is that what we want in Aceh is true democracy. Why? Democracy works elsewhere, why not in Indonesia, why not in Aceh? We want to be an example for the whole of Indonesia."
(abc.net.au Sept. 2006)

GAM has made it clear they are not fighting for an Islamic state, and Hasballah Sa'ad, a former minister for human rights who is Acehnese himself, said Sharia would do nothing to appease GAM and other independence activists.

"We know some people in Aceh have wanted to apply Sharia since the 1950s, but GAM has never asked for Sharia," Sa'ad said. (Guerin atimes.com 2005)

For more denouncements of Sharia law by GAM leaders check these sites:
http://www.wwrn.org/article.php?idd=22423&con=19&sec=59
http://home.snafu.de/watchin/GAMengl.htm

There some positive side from it.... at least ( for no oppressions)
Sometimes

Edited by KuKuKaChu (13 Dec 06 07:29)

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#38407 - 13 Dec 06 05:53 Re: GAM VICTORY, JAWA DEFEAT [Re: Macan Tutul]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Indeed, MT, I strongly believe there will be many, many positive outcomes.

My biggest concern is that Javanese people, particularly the nationalists and military, have way too much pride AND HUBRIS, and they might just make it their top priority to screw over Aceh every way possible.

And the worst part is, these nationalists and generals already have a population of over 100 million Javanese schoolchildren, ignorant housewives, underemployed farmers and tired grandmas willing to support any and all skulduggery against the Acehnese --- MERELY TO APPEASE THEIR COLLECTIVE, HURT PRIDE!

#38410 - 13 Dec 06 07:02 Re: GAM VICTORY, JAWA DEFEAT [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

IN DENIAL

The Java/Jakarta-based media, including print, TV and web, seem to be so shocked by this defeat that they're unwilling to say it. The JP's only story on it makes it sound like the the 39% exit poll figure is virtually meaningless and we won't know the result until January. In their "breaking news" section online they have ANtara story with Kalla only saying "we will respect whoever comes out the winner.."

Kompas, Detik.com, Metro TV all the same. Nobody will confirm anything, almost as if they think if they don't acknowledge this historical moment, and massive defeat for some, that it will just go away. Or perhaps in a more sinister way, they've been ordered by "certain people" to downplay the GAM victory, while they get to work on "fixing" things.

#38411 - 13 Dec 06 07:08 Re: GAM VICTORY, JAWA DEFEAT [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

There is WAY more ink in the local media about Maria Eva, Yayaya Zaini, Uh oh Gym and religiously ordained threesomes, than there is about this historical turn of events in Aceh.

Give the masses bread, wine and circus and they'll forget about the important stuff.

#38417 - 13 Dec 06 07:48 Re: GAM VICTORY, JAWA DEFEAT [Re: riccardo]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Fortunately you're absolutely right about this issue Riccardo, and your last comment above was so sadly and I can't say anything else, whether we have more important stuff there at least decision about the future of this country!!!!

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#38428 - 13 Dec 06 10:04 Re: GAM VICTORY, JAWA DEFEAT [Re: Macan Tutul]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Tempo Interactif story and Jawa's Gen. Juwono manage to toss around all the jingoistic, patriotic slogans. I'm surprised he didn't say "from Sabang to Merauke"... Earlier, the TNI chief said, "this wasn't a victory for GAM it was a victory for NKRI..."

"According to Defense Minister Juwono, the Aceh election result is a reflection of the Acehnese’s aspiration that is realized in the Republic of Indonesia framework and special autonomy. Thus, there should be no concern that it will cause the wish to free Aceh from RI. This is because the regional leaders election was held under the laws of the Constitution, Pancasila (the national ideology), ‘United in Diversity’ slogan and the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia (NKRI)."

"...cause the wish to free Aceh from RI..." HMMMM, is that anything akin to the "free" in Free Sex???!!!

#38551 - 14 Dec 06 10:11 Re: GAM VICTORY, JAWA DEFEAT [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

A RECAP OF THE INDONESIAN PRESS THE DAY AFTER THE HISTORICAL VOTE IN ACEH

While the Aceh papers scream in huge print:
GAM VICTORIOUS
GAM TAKES ACEH IN LANDSLIDE

The Jawa media and officials spin into full denial mode, focusing almost exclusively on the peaceful nature of the voting, and demonstrably downplaying the fact that GAM has won and the people sent a loud and clear message of rejection to jawa. There were no OP/ED stories, just mundane little news stories about almost everything except the actual result.

The JP said in its lead story 1st para:
"The central government called on all sides to keep monitoring the vote counting in Aceh..."

3rd Para -- "President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono warned that ballots were still being counted and called on the public be alert to possible vote-rigging..."

4th para -- "Worrying that a former GAM leader is ahead in the vote is excessive. What's important for the President is the elections ran smoothly and transparently."

And later this little gem: "LSI director Denny JA said Irwandi's lead could not have been predicted because he was an unpopular figure in Aceh."

BUT at the end it gets rather cryptic, presumably quoting unnamed *analysts*, and thus planting a seed that something may have been amiss: "Analysts have alleged that the central government was fully aware that the Acehnese would favor GAM figures, and might have approached GAM candidates to ensure Aceh would remain under Jakarta's control."

In a second story in JP they give us this little tidbit:
"Driver Nasir and civil servant Agusdi separately expressed surprise at the results, but suggested that Irwandi had a wide base "among the lesser educated and lesser informed people" "

And then this: Satyo, another civil servant, insisted that despite the results, "many people want the old figures".

AND they keep reminding us about the *OFFICIAL* result:
The Independent Election Committee is scheduled to announce the official results on Jan. 2.

AND more seeds of doubt to plant again by these "anal ysts", except this time there are "many": Many analysts had expected a second round of voting, saying none of the eight pairs would secure the minimum of 25 percent plus 1 vote.

THE POINT was probably worse than that, with just one story that somehow fails to mention GAM, Irwandi or the result (they call it the lead) until deep into the middle of the story.

Kompas focused on the safety of the election and mentioned 4 times in one story that the "quick count" was in no way official.

Detik.com is still focused on YaYaYa IZtiny and UH-oh Gym with the occasional blurb about the safety of the election and fact that the OFFICIAL result will only be known on Jan. 2

Moderator:  NetCop