Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38298 - 12 Dec 06 07:19 GAM Taking ACEH back
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
As of 3pm Monday 11th December,
The polls had closed in Aceh for the elections of Governor and regents. There were 8 governor candidates running and if none gets at least 25% of the vote, there will be a run-off among the top 2.

According to inside sources now in Banda Aceh,
FOUR (4) of the candidates are "leading" for the race for Governor, including both of the former rebels from the Free Aceh Movement (GAM).

The leading contender is ex-GAM Public Relations chief and uni lecturer Irwandy Jusuf and his running mate Moh. Nazar from the NGO SIRA (Aceh Referendum Center). Nazar led a rally of over 1.5 million people calling for a referendum to secede from Aceh back when Gus Dur was Prez.

If the Jusuf-Nazar team wins, as expected, there will be big changes in Aceh, unless the TNI-ORBA clique in Jawa intends to sabotage them.

I'll try to update more as I get info.
So, please check the news and if you hear anything post it here.

#38300 - 12 Dec 06 07:30 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
BANDA ACEH, The Point
A former Free Aceh Movement rebel has labelled the central government as incompetent in its handling of today's historic gubernatorial elections in Aceh with an estimated 10 percent of the voting public being deprived of the right to vote.
Irwandi Jusuf said the government was “incompetent” as not only had it failed to disseminate information about the election process to many Acehnese, including many who would be voting for the first time, but had not registered others, including GAM members.
“Deliberate or not, this is unacceptable,” said Jusuf, adding “if we want a lasting peace, we had better not deprive people of their right to vote.”
An estimated 9% to 13% of eligible voters do not appear on the Independent Election Commission (KIP) registration or do not have the required voting documentation.
Asked by The Point whether voters would know what to do on election day, KIP deputy chief Naimah Hasan said, “We have done everything to raise the awareness of people to vote, but it seems our public announcements did not reach some of the voters, thereby meaning some people will not appear on election day.”
Jusuf rejected her argument.
Another issue concerning voters was the possibility that money politics, common throughout other parts of Indonesia, could influence voters moments before they cast their ballots.
Anticipating money politics, Jusuf said former rebels and supporters of candidates who themselves were former rebels would patrol key areas and would be alert to any such practises. He said they had already discovered such people attempting to swing constituents’ voting decisions.
Asked what he did to those people, he told The Point on Sunday that, “We just fended them off – we gave them a warning but we let them go.”
On Sunday night, he said his people would continue to do the same thing on Monday, namely prevent the big political parties from buying votes.

#38301 - 12 Dec 06 07:31 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I forgot to add that they are saying there was an 80% voter turn-out, meaning 2.1 million people of the 2.65 million registered cast their votes. Up to 13% of otherwise eligible voters were not given registration cards in time for today's election for some reason.

It all went safe and sane even though there were 2 bombs in East Aceh early this morning, which did no damage.

#38304 - 12 Dec 06 07:51 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
so, if three ex-GAM candidates get 74% between them, and the Golkar (aka TNI) candidate gets 26%, this means Golkar wins ... who thought up this system??

#38307 - 12 Dec 06 08:16 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Name ------- candidature ---- party support (other info)

1----Ir. H. Iskandar Hoesin, MH------Governor------PBB, P.Merdeka, PP Pancasila, PKPB, PPD, PNI Marhen & PBSD (These are all tiny, insignificant parties)
Drs. H. Saleh Manaf----Vice Governor

2.. H. Tamlicha Ali ----- Governor --- PBR, PPNU, PKB (PKB is a big party, but he has little chance)
Tgk. Harmen Nuriqmar --- Vice Governor

3.. Drs. H. A.Malik Raden, MM --- Governor----Golkar, PKIP, PKPI, P. Demokrat (This guy could make a run for it, he's got the backing of SBY's party and Kalla's Golkar Party)
Sayed Fuad Zakaria, SE ---------- Vice Governor

4.. Drs. A. Humam Hamid, MA --- Governor --- PPP (PPP is an islamist party associated with Hamzah Haz, but traditionally strong in Aceh during ORBA years. More importantly, Hamid is GAM old-guard and originally had the support of the GAM "government-in-exile" in Europe.)
Drs. H. Hasbi Abdullah, M.Si --- Vice Governor

5.. ---M. Djali Yusuf --- Governor --- Independent (a real piece of work here, he is a TNI General, who helped lead the 2003 invasion! He will get some support in the handful of pro-Jawa districts and/or districts where he paid off the TNI collaborators and militia groups.)
Drs. H. R. A. Syaukas Rahmatillah, MA--------Vice Governor

6.. Drh. Irwandi Yusuf, M.Sc -- Governor --- Independent (unlike #4 Hamid, is more of a "hands-on" former GAM operative. Member of the GAM negotiating team, university lecturer and ex-political prisoner who had to climb to the roof of the Banda Aceh prison when the tsunami hit the walls outside and began flooding the prisoners in their cells.)
Muhammad Nazar, S.Ag --- Vice Governor (Head of the Aceh Referendum Center, also spent time in prison on government subversion charges for having the gall to a request a vote on Aceh's future.)

7.. --- Ir. Azwar Abubakar, MM --- Governor ---- PAN and PKS (He's the puppet incumbent governor, formerly the vice governor under the now imprisoned Gov. Puteh [for corruption])
M. Nasir Jamil, S.Ag ---- Vice Governor

8.. --- Drs. H. Ghazali Abas Adan --- Governor --- Independent (He has not a chance in hell -- no GAM support, no party support and nothing at all interesting in his platform or programs to offer.)
Drs. Shalahuddin Al-Fata --- Vice Governor

#38311 - 12 Dec 06 08:24 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Kuku, there are only 2 GAM candidates. #4 Humam Hamid and #6 Irwandi Jusuf.

The 2 GAM boys will likely split the pro-GAM vote.

So far the top 4 in numerical order, not votes, the early, VERY UNOFFICIAL, exit polls are:

#3 Malik Raden (Golkar and Democrat parties)
#4 Humam Hamid (GAM old guard)
#6 Irwandi Jusuf (GAM younger generation)
#7 Azwar Abubakar (puppet incumbent)

#38319 - 12 Dec 06 08:41 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

UPDATE FROM AFP newswire:

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (AFP) - Text messages are being used to conduct a rapid parallel count of Monday's vote in the Indonesian province of Aceh and help detect fraud, UN officials said.

Some 4,500 volunteers were to collect final results from all 8,741 polling stations and transmit them by SMS (text message) to a central server in the provincial capital Banda Aceh, the UN Development Program (UNDP), which is providing support to the elections, said in a statement.

The SMS count is being conducted in conjunction with the official count to act as a check on vote tabulation lower down the line.

Rapid count coordinator Yusra Jamali said it would help deter fraud.

"The ... system can be used to prove whether complaints about the results of the count are valid or false in different areas," Jamali said.

The UNDP said it was the first time in Indonesia that an electoral authority had conducted a complete parallel count by SMS text messaging.

The elections to choose the provincial governor, deputy and district heads are seen as cementing last year's historic peace agreement accord between the Free Aceh Movement rebels and Jakarta which ended nearly three decades of bloodshed.

#38322 - 12 Dec 06 08:55 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

In the elections for the Regents (Bupati), in Meulaboh and other regencies (kabupaten) on the west coast of Aceh, the GAM candidates are winning every TPS (polling station) by massive landslides.

#38324 - 12 Dec 06 09:17 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

FROM KL's NEW STRAITS TIMES:

BANDA ACEH: Just two years ago, Irwandi Yusuf, 46, was a political prisoner, a member of the separatist Free Aceh Movement (GAM), which fought for independence from Indonesian rule from 1976 to 2005.

He was convicted of treason and imprisoned at the Keudah Prison in the provincial capital here in 2003.

When the epic tsunami struck on Dec 26, 2004, it swept away the prison walls in a massive torrent and Irwandi suddenly found himself a free man.

"The tsunami came, the jail went away and I went home," he laughed.

Today, Irwandi, is a leading candidate in Aceh’s landmark polls on Dec 11 to directly elect the province’s governor. The elections are part of the historic peace deal signed in August 2005 to end the bloody conflict that has killed 15,000 people.

The peace deal saw GAM surrendering their arms while the Indonesian military halted its operations and withdrew 29,000 troops from the province. The direct elections will accord greater autonomy for this proud province, which the Dutch, Indonesia’s former colonial master, could never conquer.

Irwandi draws his popularity from his status as a GAM member and former political prisoner. GAM has officially declared it will not endorse any candidate.

But on Wednesday, a prominent GAM military commander, Sofyan Dawood, showed up at Irwandi’s campaign rally here in a move that will boost Irwandi’s popularity as GAM still wields considerable influence in Aceh.

The 1,000-strong crowd went wild when Dawood was called to the stage and they surged forward to catch a glimpse of the ex-rebel.

"Irwandi Yusuf is the best person to lead Aceh compared with the rest," said Dawood.

"Don’t be taken in by people who give you money to buy your votes because when they win, they will turn around and take away money from the people," he said to loud cheers and shouts.

Speaking to former rebels in several regencies and districts, many of them said they would vote for Irwandi Yusuf.

Fadli, a former rebel who spent eight years fighting in the jungles, places his trust in Irwandi.

"He cares about Aceh and has a conscience. He is also very smart, a great strategist. He is standing as an independent and that means he is not tied to the interests of political parties but the interests of the people," said Fadli.

Student Rosnita, 21, lost her father when she was 15. She and her six siblings live off their mother’s meagre earnings as a washerwoman.

She came to the rally with four of her siblings, putting her trust in Irwandi to improve her life.

"Life is very hard. I have only known conflict in Aceh. I choose Irwandi Yusuf because he helped make this peace. Let there be no more gunfire in Aceh," she said.

There are eight pairs of candidates contesting for the posts of governor and deputy governor. The winning pair needs to get more than 25 per cent of the vote

#38326 - 12 Dec 06 09:44 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

In one very unofficial "quick count" exit poll of only 6,900 voters from the capital Banda Aceh we have:

1. Irwandi Yusuf - Nazar with 46.8%
2. Azwar Abubakar -- with 36.4%
3. Humam Hamid --- with 9.7%

#38327 - 12 Dec 06 09:47 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

interesting to see whether the TNI activates its "sour grapes militia" tomorrow morning ...

#38329 - 12 Dec 06 10:05 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Yep, Kuku this could get very interesting. We are going to have an outspoken, GAM leader as governor, the head of SIRA as his vice governor and likely 18 out of 21 Bupatis & mayors from GAM's ranks.

HOWEVER..... Even if TNI does not do anything rash, there will be regular political wrestling matches as the DPRD in Aceh is still full of pro-jawa, pro-TNI legislators. Their terms last until 2009.

#38330 - 12 Dec 06 11:15 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

Message from Riccardo via SMS:

Irwandi won by 39.27% against , 16.12 h20, malik rd 13.96, azwar 11.07 dan ghazali 7.47

#38336 - 12 Dec 06 15:39 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

GAM WINS, GAM WINS (TNI/JAWA LOSE) IN A HUGE LANDSLIDE!!

The TNI and Javanese squirm with fury and wonder what to do next

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - A former rebel leader appeared headed to easy victory Monday in the first elections in Aceh province since the government and the separatists signed a peace deal in the tsunami-ravaged region last year, according to a sampling of votes tallied by two respected local pollsters.

Irwandi Yusuf, who was in jail for treason when the tsunami crashed into the province in 2004, had about 38 percent of the vote for governor, while the second-place candidate had between 15 percent and 17 percent, according to respected local pollsters Jurdil Aceh and the Indonesian Survey Circle.

The statistical surveys of vote returns, known as "quick counts," has a margin of error of 1 to 2 percentage points.

Official results will not be released until Jan. 2, although similar polls accurately forecast the result of national elections in Indonesia in 2004 and in scores of other countries in the world.

If the result is upheld it would represent a stunning victory for the former rebel movement, which formally abandoned its demand for independence and disbanded its armed wing as part of the 2005 peace agreement.

It would also show the level of distrust in Aceh for the central government and the established national political parties, which backed most of the other candidates in the race.

"This is the dream of Acehnese people fulfilled, they want this change," Yusuf told reporters at a four-star hotel that stands out amid the ruins of the tsunami-battered province.

"Aceh in the future will be a wild horse, so many things have to be done," he said, promising to push first for economic development.

The apparent second-place candidate was also backed by the former rebel's exiled political leadership and his running mate was an ex-fighter, further underling popular support in the province for the former insurgents.

"It's a vote for change. ... Now we're going to have to see how somebody who has been associated with the guerrilla movement actually governs," said Sidney Jones of the International Crisis Group, a Brussels-based research organization.

The 2004 tsunami killed an estimated 167,000 people in Aceh and helped usher an end to the fighting, with both sides saying they did not want to add to the suffering.

The oil-and-gas rich province of 4.3 million people on Sumatra island's northern tip has known almost nothing but war for 130 years, with its residents fighting would-be Dutch colonists, the Japanese and finally Indonesia's central government.

The latest conflict began in 1976 and claimed some 15,000 lives, many of them civilians, and ended with the signing of the peace agreement in Helsinki, Finland, that has exceeded almost everyone's exceptions.

Under the terms of the deal, the military pulled half its 50,000-strong garrison from Aceh and promised the region control over 70 percent of its mineral wealth. It also gave the former rebels the right to take part in politics.

An estimated 85 percent of 2.6 million registered voters were expected to turn out. Those waiting to vote said they hoped more than anything that the winners would make sure guns were permanently silenced.

"It was very difficult before, we could not go anywhere," said Idris Sulaiman, 45, who lives in the village of Naga Umbang, surrounded by brilliant green rice fields and forested hills that used to crawl with rebels, known locally as GAM.

"Soldiers would barge down doors looking for GAM, threatening and beating innocent villagers," he said. "We never want to see anything like that again."

Others said attention needed to go toward fighting corruption, improving education and taking care of tsunami survivors — 70,000 of whom still live in temporary homes, some poorly built, overcrowded and infested with cockroaches.

"Many people need help," said Mailis, 54, who lost her husband, the main breadwinner, to the waves. "They need better homes, jobs," she said while waiting at a booth set up next to temporary barracks for tsunami victims.

The elections marked the first time Acehnese have directly picked their own leaders, though some complained they were turned away because they were not on voter registration lists.

There were no reports of poll violence, but a small bomb went of at a partially built school in northern Aceh at dawn, causing no injuries and little damage, said police, who were investigating.

Earlier, Yusuf, who was a senior member of the rebel's political wing, predicted he would win Monday's vote.

"We proved our commitment with lives, blood and tears," he said.

#38361 - 13 Dec 06 01:11 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Another resounding defeat, similar to East Timor, for the forces of Jawa/TNI/ORBA

Irwandi 39% (GAM younger generation)
Hamid -or,H20- 16.12% (GAM older generation)
Malik Raden 13.9% (Golkar and SBY's party)

The TWO GAM candidates managed to garner nearly 56% of the total without major party support and without engaging in "money politics" (RI's little euphemism for corruption and vote-buying), even though the government refused to allow up to 13% to register in known GAM stronghold districts, so it could've been even uglier.

More on this later with what it all means for the future of Aceh will be posted at grsb.JakChat.com

#38362 - 13 Dec 06 01:17 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Here's to a bright future of public whippings, religious police and female oppression.

#38366 - 13 Dec 06 01:39 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

not
Quoting: Roy's hair
Here's to a bright future of public whippings, religious police and female oppression.

Not so fast there Tonto. This has been the jawa/tni/orba line for years in hopes of bringing on int'l condemnation of GAM as being similar to Taliban/alQaeda et al, and you've swallowed it without even gulping.

Ask yourself these questions:
When or where did GAM ever ask for or approve of this Sharia crap?
Who actually instituted this Sharia shite?
And, Who has benefited from the extra batallions of outrageously intrusive Religion Police?

I'm working on a full analysis now and will post it shortly.

#38401 - 13 Dec 06 05:28 Re: GAM Taking ACEH back [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Quoting: KuKuKaChu
interesting to see whether the TNI activates its "sour grapes militia" tomorrow morning ...

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop